Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 59 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 25741 Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

People have been recommending an RF Attenuator, but I think an inline fitting or 2-way splitter *might* do the job... hard to tell how much "attenuation" is needed, all expressed in dB.

Walmart has one of those inline coax fittings, for adding cable for a longer run... not sure if that would attenuate enough, but worth a try and pretty cheap. If not enough, try a 2-way splitter, which reduces signal strength by -3.7dB, but it should prob. have a "cap" on the unused output port (cuz coax would only go on input and one output leg)... could get that later after seeing if the splitter does the job? You can get a good 2-way splitter at Walmart... just get the more expensive one (~$6?) that has the markings on the housing. Might have to get an RF cap at Radio Shack later cuz I'm not sure Walmart has those.

Keep your receipt cuz -3.7dB might not be enough "attenuation"? If not, you could try a 4-way or 6-way.

If you want to try a true attenuator, I searched Radio Shack for them but didn't find any there. I did find some here, very cheap, but don't know anything about the seller or what "strength" might be needed.

I got two two way spliters because want to separate the 3575 from the tv. The second one goes to the 3575 and and empty fitting, I even tried putting teflon tape on the threads to prevent a good connection. It helped but more is needed, now only one channel: 8.1 is not good. I will try to find an attenuator (I have untill February) that works. A guy at radioshack said they used to sell an ajustable attenuator so maybe someone still sells them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 25741 Old 09-18-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamike View Post

I got two two way spliters because want to separate the 3575 from the tv. The second one goes to the 3575 and and empty fitting, I even tried putting teflon tape on the threads to prevent a good connection. It helped but more is needed, now only one channel: 8.1 is not good. I will try to find an attenuator (I have untill February) that works. A guy at radioshack said they used to sell an ajustable attenuator so maybe someone still sells them.

Did you see subeluvr's suggestion in a post above to check the "stinger" (center wire) in the cable end fitting to make sure it's not sticking out TOO FAR? Usually seen in home-made cables but *never* in factory made ones. Center wire should only protrude to about the end of the screw-on nut.
post #1743 of 25741 Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr View Post

You might have a different problem and be overlooking it...

Might be the "stinger" on the "F" antenna connection is a smidge too long and is causing you trouble when inserted all the way in. I see that happen way too often when DIYers make their own RG6 cables.

I tried different cables some have screw connectors and some slip-on... no real change. none were "home made"
post #1744 of 25741 Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

For anybody that's looking for one in the NW Chicago suburbs, the Sam's here must have at least 75 of them in huge piles.

Hi Rammitinski....just out of curiousity...how much were the Philips 3576 recorders selling for a Sam's Club ? The Walmarts in the Metro Detroit area can't keep these recorders in stock !!
post #1745 of 25741 Old 09-18-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by montward View Post

Hi Rammitinski....just out of curiousity...how much were the Philips 3576 recorders selling for a Sam's Club ? The Walmarts in the Metro Detroit area can't keep these recorders in stock !!

$248.00 (or whatever the common going rate at Sam's is).

Looks like they sell them, but not exactly at a brisk pace.
post #1746 of 25741 Old 09-18-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

$248.99 (or whatever the common going rate at Sam's is).

Looks like they sell them, but not exactly at a brisk pace.

Thanks...I was just curious as it has been reported in other posts that some Walmarts across the US have been clearing the 3575/76 recorder this summer for as low as $150 ......I was wondering if the Sam's Club in your area had followed that price lead also, especially since you had reported that they had piles in stock.....appreciate your response

Cheers,

Montward
post #1747 of 25741 Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by montward View Post

...it has been reported in other posts that some Walmarts across the US have been clearing the 3575/76 recorder this summer for as low as $150 ......

Will you guys please stop mentioning this?

You're HURTING me.

post #1748 of 25741 Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 AM

I got mine from Redtag for $189. It said factory refurbished, just didn't say which factory There was a sticker inside that said Ozark Electronics Repair, Inc. I did a little research and this company works for Walmart. Another thing that annoyed me was the manual was a photocopy and stapled together, with all the gray areas too dark and hard to read. Also they only gave me a yellow RCA cable but, forgot the red & white audio cables and the batteries for the remote. Not a big deal since I'm using S-video cable and I had some audio cables lying around. The cheap manual is what really pissed me off. I'm going to test the unit too make sure everything works okay.
post #1749 of 25741 Old 09-19-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Most manuals are available as .pdf files online.
post #1750 of 25741 Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 AM
gce

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM361 View Post

Another thing that annoyed me was the manual was a photocopy and stapled together, with all the gray areas too dark and hard to read.

3575: Manual

3576: Manual
post #1751 of 25741 Old 09-19-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FYI for people with DVD-Video-based DVDRs and the +VR-based 3575/3576:

I've got a Pioneer DVR-640H besides my three 3575's and I've been doing a lot of testing lately on using DVD-RW discs in both machines. The Pio 640 records in the DVD-Video (DVD-V) std and the Philips records in the Philips +VR std. (I don't like to use "mode" cuz the Pio and others also have a DVD-VR mode, which is not the same as the Philips +VR std... often gets confused as being the same)

Even tho the two DVDRs can't read the other's titles in an unfinalized state, I've been using the same disc between the machines both in playback and recording.

For playback, the 3575/3576 can Finalize the DVD-RW and Unfinalize it for more tests, etc.

For recording, the 3575/3576 can Erase the disc if it's got Pio 640 titles on it, and the Pio 640 can Initialize the disc if it's got 3575/3576 titles on it... making the disc usable in that machine.
post #1752 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks Chuck, Sub & gce. I was just venting on what a cheap thing to do by redtag or Ozark. I guess it's true," you get what you pay for." So far everything is working okay and the FW is up to date.
post #1753 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Further update on my "DTV-S 0x93" 3576 recorder.

Last night the first "problem" occurred. On 2 programs recorded on the HDD off the CBS digital channel in Philly over my Comcast extended basic cable, they both had the "do not copy" copy protection symbol when viewed in the title list. This proved correct, as when I tried to dub the titles to a DVD-RW disc, I got the copy protection notice, and the titles would not dub. Now this is an OTA channel and should NOT be copy protected.

I've read Wajo's warning about heat, EMF, etc., but none apply to my situation.

So, have others experienced this inappropriate copy protection? I would like to know how widespread this problem is.

I will continue to monitor this, and I will report back any changes.

RG
post #1754 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, I've read of others on antenna getting a similar "copy-protection" signal, with posters saying OTA programs should NOT be CP'd. I think someone suggested calling the station and asking "wha'sup"?

Here's the start of one series of posts on CP found on an OTA program.
post #1755 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 AM

Quick question, and you guys seem to be the guys to ask. Simply an amazing thread.
My in-laws are getting this as a replacement for an lg dvr that bit the dust recently courtesy of a Best Buy warranty exchange. As their token tech guy I just wonder about a few question that I'm going to have to answer from 500 miles away.

1. Where is the program guide? From what I've seen there isn't really one, at least not one that you can record programs from. Are they going to have to input everything via time and channel? How can I explain to them what to do? Is the process hard/complicated?

2. How easy is this thing to use? I mean really easy. You folk are pretty good, and so am I. Remotes mostly make sense to us. We know what we're doing. But the big question is how well is my Mom-in-Law going to be able to navigate around this? Am I going to be getting phone calls every few days asking where it recorded last night's project runway?

3. Would you recommend this unit to technically deficient family (whom I love, if they're reading this!) or would you suggest another unit (DVD recording is, apparently, a must, by the way) that would be easier to use? My big concern is the program guide. If that's missing they will probably have a very hard time using this.

Again, this is an amazing thread. Ya'll rock.
post #1756 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

jester, the 3576 and 2160 don't have a program guide for point-and-click program scheduling.

However, if their old LG didn't have a HDD, they'll be much better served with a 3576 or 2160, as you know... no media logistics to worry about.

So, scheduling their programs is prob. their biggest challenge. If they're ever had a VCR, the scheduling is similar except easier cuz the timer programming menu is quite simple... arrow right to each slot for entering time, date, etc. then arrowing up/dn to change the data.

If you haven't already read the help file on Timer Recording, see "Auto-Recording with a Timer Program" here, which shows the menu and explains what goes where.

Selecting recorded titles is also quite easy, requiring only pressing the Title button and pressing Play on a title. The one thing they'll have trouble with there is that recorded programs have no name, only a day, date, etc. plus a full-motion index pic to indicate what that title is.

Since these units have two drives, HDD and DVD, they'll need to be aware of that and shown which buttons (top row, 2nd and 3rd buttons) are used to select a drive... just so they don't panic when something doesn't seem to work or they don't see the HDD recording light someday and think it's not recording.

I think these might be the biggies for them?
post #1757 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 08:54 AM

Those are probably the biggest problems for them.
They're coming off of a lrm-519 for what it's worth. DVD drive conked out.
I'm anticipating the calls when a show was on at a special day and time and their dvr didn't get it.
Or when it records the time and date they told it to, but the show took a break that week and now they're sure their dvr is broken because it recorded the wrong thing (I've had similar discussions already).
The no title thing is also going to totally mess them up.
At any rate, I did read your write ups (awesome!) and also downloaded and read the manual, but I just was curious if things were as they appeared or if I was missing something. I'm not sure this box is quite "idiot proof" enough for them (again, if you read this, I love you, but you know your shortfalls).
Is there any DVR with a DVD recorder on the market that also uses a program guide to select shows as opposed to the old vcr system? "Season pass" style recording that follows the show around no matter what? I mean, this is 2008, we've got to have a better system by now.
post #1758 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 AM

Is it possible to transfer HD Native Recordings located on HDD directly to the PC?
post #1759 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird3993 View Post

Is it possible to transfer HD Native Recordings located on HDD directly to the PC?

Nope, the SDTV recordings on the HDD can only be high-speed copied (no quality loss) to a DVD, then copied to the PC's HDD.

Here's some info on that process using the 3575/3576/2160 or other +VR recorder.
post #1760 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 09:12 AM

hey everyone my first post here have a problem with my 3575 has a lighting flash a few days ago i was watchin a movie with the 3575 true the hdmi hook up.flash happen and the tv when blue screen it seen like the flash did something with the hdmi hook up,because everything else is workin besides that.so is there anything i can do to get that conection to work again
post #1761 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
First thing I'd try would be a new cable, but I wouldn't count
on that solving the problem.
If you took a lightning surge you're very lucky if that's all you lost...
post #1762 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post

hey everyone my first post here have a problem with my 3575 has a lighting flash a few days ago i was watchin a movie with the 3575 true the hdmi hook up.flash happen and the tv when blue screen it seen like the flash did something with the hdmi hook up,because everything else is workin besides that.so is there anything i can do to get that conection to work again

Sounds like the lightning got into the HDMI connection and may have "fried" it.

If you got your unit at Walmart and took their extended warranty, it covers lightning strike.

EDIT: FIRST TRY A QUICK RESET OF THE STANDBY CIRCUIT... PULL PLUG FOR 10 SEC OR LESS AND PLUG BACK IN. SEE IF THAT RESETS THE 3575's STANDBY CIRCUIT.. PRESS HDMI BUTTON AND SEE IF IT SHOWS "480p" BRIEFLY IN THE 3575 DISPLAY WINDOW.

Failing that, you can try a factory machine reset, which just might bring the HDMI back to life since it has to be "activated" for 1st use anyway (which suggests it's not automatically turned on and it just might be in its "pre-activated" state).

Pull the power cord for 10 minutes, then, WHILE HOLDING the power button on the front of the unit, plug back in.

You'll lose custom settings, clock, and timer rec programs, so you might want to write things down for easy ref. when setting up again?

When you're done with setup, select the HDMI input on TV and press the HDMI button and see if "480p shows up briefly in the 3575 display. If it does and you see a pic, you're good-to-go!
post #1763 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 AM

thanks for the quick reply.try unpluging the 3575 for the ten min.and pluging it back in while holding in the power button but it will not reset,and by the way can t take it back because i am in barbados.
post #1764 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Does Component still work? If so, use that and set Video > Progressive Scan to ON. It'll be just about as good as HDMI... some have even said it looks better on their 720p (768p) TVs.
post #1765 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester6641 View Post

Those are probably the biggest problems for them.
They're coming off of a lrm-519 for what it's worth. DVD drive conked out.
I'm anticipating the calls when a show was on at a special day and time and their dvr didn't get it.
Or when it records the time and date they told it to, but the show took a break that week and now they're sure their dvr is broken because it recorded the wrong thing (I've had similar discussions already).
The no title thing is also going to totally mess them up.
At any rate, I did read your write ups (awesome!) and also downloaded and read the manual, but I just was curious if things were as they appeared or if I was missing something. I'm not sure this box is quite "idiot proof" enough for them (again, if you read this, I love you, but you know your shortfalls).
Is there any DVR with a DVD recorder on the market that also uses a program guide to select shows as opposed to the old vcr system? "Season pass" style recording that follows the show around no matter what? I mean, this is 2008, we've got to have a better system by now.

From what you describe, they need simplicity, guide-based recording, dependability, and intellegent design. Seiously, a DVD recorder is not for them, look at a TiVo -- it has everything you want (including the season pass).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1766 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 03:11 PM

yes the component still work, the only thing not working is the hdmi,so that will be what i will have to do then.thank you very much for your help.i like this recorder very much,after have a panasonic e80 and e85 which last about two years before the 85 stop reading blank disc and the e80 just said error and would not do anything have to force open the door on that one.think i will try and get a 3576 just because you should always have a back up now the tv season is starting thanks again wajo.
post #1767 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sattie, if you can borrow a HDMI cable, it is worth a try to make sure the cable's end fitting is the problem (a fried wire, maybe?)... at least that'd close the loop on the HDMI connection still being viable or not?
post #1768 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 04:07 PM

did try a other hdmi cable same problem,when i press hdmi on the remote there is no display on the 3575 so i guess that conection is dead,thanks for the help anyway
post #1769 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester6641 View Post

Is there any DVR with a DVD recorder on the market that also uses a program guide to select shows as opposed to the old vcr system?

For OTA-only, they could wait for the Echostar TR-50 DVR, which will have a free guide, and pair that with a separate DVD recorder, or for OTA or cable, they could get the TiVoHD DVR with a pre-paid subscription (to eliminate paying monthly if they'd prefer), and do the same.

Other than that, there are currently no HDD/DVD recorders with a program guide.
post #1770 of 25741 Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post

did try a other hdmi cable same problem,when i press hdmi on the remote there is no display on the 3575 so i guess that conection is dead,thanks for the help anyway

I just took a quick look at my DVDR3576. When I press the HDMI button on the remote, nothing happens. There is no resolution displayed. At the current time, there is no HDMI cable connected to the unit but the information was displayed and the resolution shifted properly when I pressed the HDMI button when the unit was connected to a TV via an HDMI cable.

My point is that the problem may not be in the Philips recorder. It needs to be connected to a TV with a functioning HDMI input for the recorder display to be active. The HDMI input of the TV may be the thing that died, or got hung up.

I had my Vizio TV get funny once. (It would not repond to the remote control). I turned it off, and then I unplugged it from the wall for a couple of minutes. When I plugged it in and turned it on, it went through a full initialization, which cleared up the TV problem.

You might something similar with your TV.
  1. Turn it, and the recorder off.
  2. Unplug the TV from the wall for a couple of minutes. I might even unplug the recorder from the wall also.
  3. Disconnect the HDMI cable from both and use component, composite, or S video connections.
  4. Plug both units in to the wall.
  5. Turn on the TV and go through the TV setup.
  6. With the TV set tuned to the input connected to the recorder, turn on the recorder and go through setup, and make sure both units seem to work together.
  7. Turn off both units.
  8. Install the HDMI cable between them.
  9. Turn on the TV and the recorder, and test the HDMI interface.
No guarantees, off course, but I would try it before I returned anything.
The other thing, if you have the equipment, would be to connect the recorder to a different TV with an HDMI input, or connect some other piece of equipment with an HDMI output to the TVs HDMI input to test whether it is the recorder output or the TV input that is in trouble.

Good luck.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page