Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 596 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

83 in stock now.

Get them while you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Hi all -- I'm very new.... just ordered one from Walmart (NEVER thought I'd see the quantity open up when I hit "refresh") and I'm currently waiting for delivery on a refurb from Amazon...

I'm a diehard VHS fan -- I like the portability of VHS... (tape in one room, watch in another...) so I've been resisting change. I'm also no fan of Cablevision and I refuse to pay them any more per month.

Love this forum and hope I don't need to refer to it daily for help -- only for enjoyment.

Wajo -- I blame you for my new addiction.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic View Post

Walmart has new 515's for sale now! You do not need to buy an extended warranty regardless of what the salesman may tell you.

Generally I would agree with this but I recently bought a 3 year extended warranty for my 515. Only cost $28 from Walmart. What prompted me to do it was having an LCD tv and my first Mag die on me after having them for about 2 years. Could have replaced them both for a fraction of the cost of new if I had the warranty.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM

Since setting up the new home theater, I am now outputting the 515 through HDMI.

Outputting through HDMI has resulted in the only decent looking Format setting on the TV being “Full.” This is the same format setting one would use for a normal looking picture with HD signal content. Indeed, the TV is reading the Maggie output as “1080p.” Outputting to the old HT gear through the RCA composites resulted in the TV reading “480p”.

(We know the Maggie does not output 1080p, but I suspect the Yammy receiver and/or the tv is doing upconversion, since the Maggie signal is now going HDMI all the way through the system. Dunno for sure).

Anyway, the tv picture on the Full format setting is slightly stretched horizontally. If I set the tv format to Just or Zoom or Hi-Fill, it is stretched even more and doesn’t look good. If I set it to 4:3, the picture is no longer stretched, but it is crimped on both sides, i.e., a portion of the picture is lost on each side.

The Maggie Aspect Ratio is set to 16:9 Wide, the only setting I see other than 4:3 Letterbox and 4:3 Pan and Scan, neither of which look right at all with any tv Format setting when connecting via HDMI.

To sum up, the Full tv setting looks best when outputting the Maggie through HDMI, and it is decent, but still shows a little horizontal stretching I’d like to eliminate, if possible.

Any thoughts guys? If not, then I may dive into the receiver's beeellions of Inputs sub-menus to see if there are any adjustments to make for the particular input the Maggie plugs into.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 View Post

(We know the Maggie does not output 1080p, but I suspect the Yammy receiver and/or the tv is doing upconversion, since the Maggie signal is now going HDMI all the way through the system. Dunno for sure).

The Magnavox recorder can up-convert to 480P, 720p, 1080i, and 1080P. Press the HDMI button on the remote to cycle through the up-convert modes. Maybe it'll fit the screen better at 480P? The HDMI mode doesn't seem to make a difference as far a screen fit goes on my TVs.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerby924 View Post

Hi all -- I'm very new....

Welcome!

To keep you busy while you wait for delivery, you can download and read the manuals.

MDR515H/F7 Manual
MDR513H/F7 Manual
Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Since setting up the new home theater, I am now outputting the 515 through HDMI.

Outputting through HDMI has resulted in the only decent looking Format setting on the TV being Full. This is the same format setting one would use for a normal looking picture with HD signal content. Indeed, the TV is reading the Maggie output as 1080p. Outputting to the old HT gear through the RCA composites resulted in the TV reading 480i.

Anyway, the tv picture on the Full format setting is slightly stretched horizontally. If I set the tv format to Just or Zoom or Hi-Fill, it is stretched even more and doesn't look good. If I set it to 4:3, the picture is no longer stretched, but it is crimped on both sides, i.e., a portion of the picture is lost on each side.

The Maggie Aspect Ratio is set to 16:9 Wide, the only setting I see other than 4:3 Letterbox and 4:3 Pan and Scan, neither of which look right at all with any tv Format setting when connecting via HDMI.

To sum up, the Full tv setting looks best when outputting the Maggie through HDMI, and it is decent, but still shows a little horizontal stretching I'd like to eliminate, if possible.

Any thoughts guys? If not, then I may dive into the receiver's beeellions of Inputs sub-menus to see if there are any adjustments to make for the particular input the Maggie plugs into.

It can be hard to keep aspect ratio and resolution apart, but they are not the same thing.

All content OUTPUT from the 515H is under your control. You know it's stored internally at 480i, but it will output that content as a 1080p signal. It's how mine is set. I don't mind letterbox 16:9 either. It's SD, not HD.

The TV remote might have a "wide" button you can play with in real time like my Sony which has four ways to display HDMI inputs. Some shows are taped or shown live at HD, some not but still broadcast at HD. That's how you get barndoors. Some broadcast 480i at 16:9 also. It's a crazy world.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerby924 View Post

Love this forum and hope I don't need to refer to it daily for help -- only for enjoyment.

Wajo -- I blame you for my new addiction.

Disclaimer: Wajo reports, you decide!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

The Magnavox recorder can up-convert to 480P, 720p, 1080i, and 1080P. Press the HDMI button on the remote to cycle through the up-convert modes. Maybe it'll fit the screen better at 480P? The HDMI mode doesn't seem to make a difference as far a screen fit goes on my TVs.

Thanks Ken.

First, I made a small error in my original post which I have corrected. In my old setup when outputting the 515 through RCA composites, the system read that as 480p, not 480i as I first stated.

Based on your post, it appears the 515 is doing the upconverting to 1080p that I am seeing, since switching to outputting it through HDMI. Nice.

Yes, I did cycle through the various 515 HMDI modes with the remote and the best looking one was 1080p.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

It can be hard to keep aspect ratio and resolution apart, but they are not the same thing.

All content OUTPUT from the 515H is under your control. You know it's stored internally at 480i, but it will output that content as a 1080p signal. It's how mine is set. I don't mind letterbox 16:9 either. It's SD, not HD.

The TV remote might have a "wide" button you can play with in real time like my Sony which has four ways to display HDMI inputs. Some shows are taped or shown live at HD, some not but still broadcast at HD. That's how you get barndoors. Some broadcast 480i at 16:9 also. It's a crazy world.

My brain hurts.

Re the Wide button, yes, I did cycle through the various Formats the TV will display and the best looking one is the same Full setting the set wants to use for HD content. It does look the best too, entirely filling the screen (no letterboxing). It's just that the picture is a little stretched horizontally. I can live with it if necessary. It's really bad though when watching or recording from an SD signal that is in that shrunken 16:9 format rather than 4:3. Like FOX or CNN through the Comcast SD boxes.

BTW, since switching to outputting the Maggie through HDMI, colors have improved, along with picture sharpness. Not huge improvements, not anything like HD of course, but improved nonetheless.

Thanks very much, Joe.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

My brain hurts.

Re the Wide button, yes, I did cycle through the various Formats the TV will display and the best looking one is the same Full setting the set wants to use for HD content. It does look the best too, entirely filling the screen (no letterboxing). It's just that the picture is a little stretched horizontally. I can live with it if necessary. It's really bad though when watching or recording from an SD signal that is in that shrunken 16:9 format rather than 4:3. Like FOX or CNN through the Comcast SD boxes.

BTW, since switching to outputting the Maggie through HDMI, colors have improved, along with picture sharpness. Not huge improvements, not anything like HD of course, but improved nonetheless.

Thanks very much, Joe.

Does your receiver do up conversion? If so, it could be causing the slight stretch. Find a AVS thread for your receiver and see if it mentioned there. There could be a firmware update. Almost all TVs come from the factory with overscan turned on, which can cause a slight zoom. Some will allow you to turn it off. If you have a BluRay player, turn it off. Some sets allow you to adjust the amount of overscan.

Maybe the HDMI is correct and the composite is slightly shrunk
Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

They probably won't sell this batch too fast. It doesn't show up if I search for "magnavox" or "mdr515". If I browse all DVD & Blu-ray players it doesn't show up either.

83 - 66 = 17 sold in ~2 hours!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They all saw your link on the forum.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I finally pulled the trigger to buy a new 515 - I already have a Phillips 3575 and a V2160A. Now, I fully expect an amazing new model to be released that makes the 515 old hat as happened when they released the 513 just after I bought the 2160A.

Charles
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by *hoby* View Post

I finally pulled the trigger to buy a new 515 - I already have a Phillips 3575 and a V2160A. Now, I fully expect an amazing new model to be released that makes the 515 old hat as happened when they released the 513 just after I bought the 2160A.

I wish you had something to worry about, but I'm afraid you don't.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My brain hurts.

Thanks very much, Joe.

You're welcome. I live in a very mixed environment. Of my "locals", only one is 720p inhouse full time. I get 10 HD channels, most at 5.1 and about 100 SD 480i basic cable channels. The slight stretching is just part of life when, say MSNBC, is live with HD cameras in the studio. Then sent out to the world where they can make 480i analog or digital to 1080p from that content. I watch CNBC a lot, including the 1080i HD feed from my cable through a STB. There is only one rule I live by: all cable is local.

I wish we could call vsb/analog 525i. Maybe someday. 480i is what you see, not what is broadcast. Brain still hurt?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 PM

With the 515 can you set something to record and have it record the same day and time everyweek?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCamil View Post

With the 515 can you set something to record and have it record the same day and time everyweek?

Yes, as described in this help file.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCamil View Post

Yes, many many times. At least 1 hour every week for a year.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the help! These forums are very nice
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I realize this is only tenuously on topic, but I had to say something where someone might be interested to hear. I only started trying after realizing I could get them un-letterboxed, when WTVT stopped showing them double boxed. I only discovered that it had stopped the double boxing after season 1 episode 1 aired, so today is when I finally got the pilot recorded @ 16:9. The collection still needs cleanup, as I have several season 7 episodes letterboxed. Barring BHN or equipment failure, those will be replaced on upcoming Monday nights and/or Saturday mornings.

Those from WTVT are from the QAM tuner, about 1.5 season's worth, the rest via HDMI to RCA converter from HD cable box TNT. Detail is much better on the QAM recordings, since they have not had the extra processing steps to cause detail loss, but overall I can't say the QAMs are materially better, because of the excessive black level and gamma from the Funai tuner. The main benefit of the QAM recordings is actually lack of insufferable BHN dropouts while tuned to TNT HD.

Currently there are about 50 SP hours remaining free. About half the usage is Closer, the rest a mix of music videos, various episodes of the 3 major Law & Order series, Leverage, White Collar, Harry's Law, NCIS, How I Met Your Mother, some other TV episodes, and Basic Instinct (off IFC when the machine was new last July).

Back to the Closer, and due to other recorders, I have all but 4 episodes on un-letterboxed DVD, most 4 per, some 3 per. To get 4 each requires recording on the Pioneers at 180m/DVD, 170m/DVD or 160m/DVD, depending on episode length and source quality. Most from TNT are 160m/DVD; most from DVB 170m/DVD. Those saved 3 per are in SP or 130m/DVD.

Some Closer episodes have been saved from DVB directly to hard disk as HD .ts files. Each such episode averages either around 4.5GB (those that aired commercial free) or 6.5GB (with commercials). None of these recordings have any graphic overlays other than the initial TV14 logo. Those captured sans commercials are HD series drama at its best.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

83 in stock now.

Thank you to poster's SonicLogic and Wajo for the alert on January 16, 2012 that a batch of new Magnavox-515's is / was available at Wal-Mart dot com. I snagged one ! It was not easy to find. Had to look at "previously searched item" (from quite some time ago) in the far left-hand column of their web-page. Cross my fingers that it actually shows up.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 AM

Liked: 14
hi folks...

forgive me if i'm not posting this in the right place, but i'm a little new to all of this..

recently i purchased a replacement Burner / Main PCB for an MDR-513 DVR from funai parts. the specific part number is N78F0FUN, which theoretically is for the MDR-513 DVR.

my purpose was to test the drive unit in one of my Philips DVDR3576 DVR's in order to avoid obsolesence, should the drive unit fail and the original become unavailable. what drove me to this was actually a failed attempt to obtain a 3576 replacement due to some bad information i had gotten from one of the funai folks. so i ended up ordering the 513 stuff as a gamble.

while the 513 main pcb is not plug compatible with the 3576 hardware, the drive unit appears to be fully compatible, and works fine when mated up to the original 3576 main pcb.

tests performed included DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD-RW discs. all recording and playback modes were successful.

a high speed dub test recording indicated no speed improvement over the original drive unit ( about 33 minutes using 16x media and 2 hour SP source material from the HDD ), which means that while the drive unit might be capable of faster burn speeds, the meat for that ability lies within the main PCB, itself.

the 513 main pcb is physically compatible in that it fits perfectly into the 3576 chassis, however, one of the ribbon cable connectors is smaller, and the cable for that connector will not fit without modification. the rest of the cables do fit properly, although there is no USB interface connector on the 513 main pcb. the board still has a place for the connector, but i don't know if that's all that might be missing ( other firmware / hardware ).

i ascertained that pins 1 & 2 of the incompatible cable are not used on either the 3576 nor the 513, and that the connector on the 513 main pcb is smaller for that purpose. indeed, the main pcb is still designed to fit both the larger and smaller connector sizes.

this having been said, there remains a possibility that, with some mods, the 513 main pcb might indeed ultimately work in the 3576, although without USB support. in addition, potential mods would also require the HDD interface to be addressed, since the 513 uses a SATA interface and the 3576 is PATA.
the 513 main PCB did not come with a SATA interface cable, but the 3576 PATA cable does fit physically, indicating possible compatibility thru use of some adapt-o-kit apparatus.

in any case, i did not persue main pcb issues further, since my goal was to verify compatibility of only the drive unit which, as it turns out, will work fine in the 3576.

hope this will be of some interest or help.

rgds...

ron g
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just enter a big number and Update.

I just tried that on WalMart after adding a 513 to my cart and absolutely nothing happens. I have NoScript installed with "all this page" temporarily enabled.

Scratch that. It took all 1000 after double checking NoScript.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 AM

New 515 user here.......I bought my wife a 515 for Christmas after finding this site and reading on here about all of the features and capabilities. After setting hers up and using it for a while I was so impressed with it I bought another one for my home office. I ended up with a refurbished unit from J&R, when I could find no reasonable priced new units at the time.

Anyway, I ran into a small problem with the second one. Sorry if this has been brought up before......I didn't read all 17,000 + posts

Has anyone run into problems trying to use the HDMI and the fun link CEC to control the TV. When I set it up to work this way, it screws up the function of the menus. When trying access a specific menu item it may jump past it at a pretty rapid rate, so fast that you cannot access the particular menu item. It will mess up all of the menus, including the timer programming menus. I have played with this quite a bit and it only starts doing it after I hook the TV up with the HDMI cable and set the fun link menus on the DVDR and TV to control the TV on startup of the DVDR. The 515 is connected to a Sylvania 19" LCD TV if that matters. If I connect with component cables it is fine, once I do a hard reset. Or if I connect with the HDMI cable and do not setup the fun link to work it is fine also. The only way I have found to get it to work correctly after this problem starts is to do a hard reset. Magnavox tech support has been of no help, although the last time I talked to them I was not 100% sure it was related to the HDMI setup.

Thanks for the great site!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

I just tried that on WalMart after adding a 513 to my cart and absolutely nothing happens. I have NoScript installed with "all this page" temporarily enabled.

Scratch that. It took all 1000 after double checking NoScript.

Nothing happens to your bogus number entered if they have more stock than that. They currently have 1377 ea. 513's, so to see that you'd have to enter 1400 or more. Just to be sure, I always use BIG numbers, like 5500 since their original stock was ~4500.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlbeck View Post

New 515 user here.......I bought my wife a 515 for Christmas after finding this site and reading on here about all of the features and capabilities. After setting hers up and using it for a while I was so impressed with it I bought another one for my home office. I ended up with a refurbished unit from J&R, when I could find no reasonable priced new units at the time.

Anyway, I ran into a small problem with the second one. Sorry if this has been brought up before......I didn't read all 17,000 + posts

Has anyone run into problems trying to use the HDMI and the fun link CEC to control the TV. When I set it up to work this way, it screws up the function of the menus. When trying access a specific menu item it may jump past it at a pretty rapid rate, so fast that you cannot access the particular menu item. It will mess up all of the menus, including the timer programming menus. I have played with this quite a bit and it only starts doing it after I hook the TV up with the HDMI cable and set the fun link menus on the DVDR and TV to control the TV on startup of the DVDR. The 515 is connected to a Sylvania 19" LCD TV if that matters. If I connect with component cables it is fine, once I do a hard reset. Or if I connect with the HDMI cable and do not setup the fun link to work it is fine also. The only way I have found to get it to work correctly after this problem starts is to do a hard reset. Magnavox tech support has been of no help, although the last time I talked to them I was not 100% sure it was related to the HDMI setup.

This is one instance where SuperFW 727V *might* help a 515 user since an HDMI-CEC problem is what prompted Funai to start the FW upgrade process in the first place. That problem was a unit that turned on the TV when starting a timer rec program, which it shouldn't do, but they might have also fixed your problem?

Only way to know is to install SuperFW 727V?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nothing happens to your bogus number entered if they have more stock than that. They currently have 1377 ea. 513's, so to see that you'd have to enter 1400 or more. Just to be sure, I always use BIG numbers, like 5500 since their original stock was ~4500.

After seeing 0 to 3 digit quantities of 515s lately, the four digit quantity of 513s caught me by surprise. I looked around for refurb 513s and struck out.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

My 515 will not power up after two small power failures at my house. - Note: No other equipment in my house had issues other than reseting clocks and coffee pot.

Anyway I will try the reset choices found at the beginning of this post and let everyone no how it goes.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

My 515 will not power up after two small power failures at my house. - Note: No other equipment in my house had issues other than reseting clocks and coffee pot.

Anyway I will try the reset choices found at the beginning of this post and let everyone no how it goes.

The Soft Reset will fix you right up.

Then, when you have time, you might want to search for "tuning interference" and delete certain channels or do a "Clean Tuner" procedure (esp. if machine goes "dead") as described here?

Note to all: I recently read a post where the ION channel was mentioned as crashing machines... EDIT: Found the link to post on ION. Linked post also mentions the "tuning interference" that blanks channels like some people here have seen and corrected.

So, anyone having tuning problems might start with deleting the ION channel JFTHOI?

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com