Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 616 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #18451 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPlasmaYet View Post

I'm sure we'll be seeing lots of 513's and some 515's on Ebay. Some are already being sold there, with more to follow.

Seems a lot of what Walmart sold went to those who saw it as a quick may to make a buck, not to those who buy them to use them. That just drives the price up.

I'm hoping more show up at Wlamart and these "scalpers" take a financial hit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Magnavox...item5891d5cfdc

More than 10 available, 6 already sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18452 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to add a thought worth about 2 cents, maybe the difference between the -726 FW and the -727 is that the -726 is factory installed and the -727 is user installed. Maybe?

av-n
post #18453 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by av-novice View Post

Just to add a thought worth about 2 cents, maybe the difference between the -726 FW and the -727 is that the -726 is factory installed and the -727 is user installed. Maybe?

That makes sense.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #18454 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswensen View Post

Are you OTA? I tried my new 515 a few nights ago, and couldn't find several OTA channels that SHOULD have been there. A few others were there, but were pixelating because of low signal strentgh. A few nights later, they were all there and strong. I'm blaming solar flares. If you are OTA, you might wait a few days and try again before returning the unit.

Yes, I'm OTA. Unfortunately that's not the case. To make my statement clearer, there was this channel (FOX - to name it) that I'm getting fine, even at this very moment, if I plug the RF in directly in my TV, but as soon as I go through the Mag - regardless that its on or not - I lose that channel. So, the channel is there, just not through the Mag

@wajo yes I had already read about all those precautions. That won't help in this instance. This FOX station is deep fringe for me. Looks like the poor internal splitter of the Mag is enough to remove the 2 or 3 db I needed to have a lock on it...

For now, I'll have to unplug the cable from the Mag and plug it directly in my TV everytime I want to watch FOX, and I got the Mag mostly to record The Simpsons and Family Guy on Sunday nights

Once spring is here, I'll go on the roof and install a pre-amp (was already in my plans anyway). Hopefully it solves my issues. But it's still a bit dissapointing knowing the Mag kills part of the signal when I was under the impression it actually gave it a small 1db boost.

Oh BTW, the second unit is exactly the same as the first. Same model/built date, FW etc...
I confirmed both were brand new, the HDD read "1 hour" on both...
post #18455 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have you tried multiple Auto Channel Presets?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #18456 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Have you tried multiple Auto Channel Presets?

Yes. But, just to really, really make myself clear, the channel is lost even if the Mag is off and I try to tune it through my TV tuner. Just the fact that the cable runs through the Mag does the damage...
post #18457 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Welcome to 21th century TV hell.

You need to try with a Smart DVD/Blue Ray player with analog outputs.

Better buy a player quick, those analog outputs are going away soon
post #18458 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxheaven View Post

Yes. But, just to really, really make myself clear, the channel is lost even if the Mag is off and I try to tune it through my TV tuner. Just the fact that the cable runs through the Mag does the damage...

That should only happen if you have a bad cable or remove power from the Mag. Signal strength is shown on the Mag Display button. Your TV should have something similar. It could be overloading your TV tuner, but that would be rare.
post #18459 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM

My update. My new 513 is working great. I have recorded an HD movie from my D*TV HD DVR through a HDMI to composite converter and dubbed it to DVD. 16:9 was preserved and of course the DVD is not HD, but it looked great when upconverted and played through my BlueRay DVD player. It is doing exactly what I wanted it to do. I will keep trying to upgrade the 727V using the information here, but that is not a big issue if I keep having problems with the upgrade.

Thanks Wajo!

My buddy bought a 513 from Walmart Saturday afternoon and I will guide him through the setup as he is not as much of a tech nerd...

Pain in the Butte Ranch
Durango, Colorado
post #18460 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

That should only happen if you have a bad cable or remove power from the Mag. Signal strength is shown on the Mag Display button. Your TV should have something similar. It could be overloading your TV tuner, but that would be rare.

Of course if the power cord is pulled I lose the signal. That's not what I meant.

I'm trying my best to be clear... even the local channels I get at or close to 100% directly through my TV's tuner are coming in at about 90% in the Mag's tuner. But, the US stations, NBC, CBS, PBS are usually around 80% on my TV, but MUCH lower, in the 30% range, with the Mag. And, FOX that was coming in at 38% on my TV is completely lost on the Mag.
post #18461 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:

I will try burning both CD and DVD media at the slowest possible rates, and report the results.

No luck. Tried both CD and DVD at slowest speed possible. The 718H firmware is still stuck on my 513 machine.
post #18462 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Of course if the power cord is pulled I lose the signal. That's not what I meant.

I'm trying my best to be clear... even the local channels I get at or close to 100% directly through my TV's tuner are coming in at about 90% in the Mag's tuner. But, the US stations, NBC, CBS, PBS are usually around 80% on my TV, but MUCH lower, in the 30% range, with the Mag. And, FOX that was coming in at 38% on my TV is completely lost on the Mag.

I can only speculate that the Magnavox is faulty. It's acting as if it is unplugged or the active passthrough is not getting power. I would try for an exchange. Sorry.
post #18463 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I can only speculate that the Magnavox is faulty. It's acting as if it is unplugged or the active passthrough is not getting power. I would try for an exchange. Sorry.

If I unplug the power, than I lose all US channels and the local channels fall in the 80% range down from 100% on my TV's tuner.

Did I mention I bought 2 identical units? Results are exactly the same with both.

One thing I DID notice, though, on PBS for example, in my TV's tuner it comes in at about 80%. In the Mag, it's at 19%, but it does lock in and display without any pixelizing, while anything below 30% wouldn't be watchable on my TV, so the Mag does have a greater ability to lock in on a weaker signal. But, still, from 80 down to 19%, that's one hell of a drop. For greater clarity, PBS also goes down from 80 to 67% in my TV's tuner alone just by having my cable run through the Mag first, but the Mag's tuner itself shows 19%.

Fact is, I'm watching FOX right now, because I plugged my cable directly in the TV, while I wouldn't be watching it if the cable was plugged into the Mag.

I think, since there's no real solution to look for here (none coming from the Mag itself), this topic has been pretty much covered for now. My intention was just to report MY experience with deep fringe OTA reception with the Mag 513.

On a local forum, another member who is using a 515 but using a pre-amp on his rooftop antenna hasn't noticed the same channel losses, so at this point there's nothing more for me to do but hope once I install a pre-amp, these issues will go away.
post #18464 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:

Did I mention I bought 2 identical units? Results are exactly the same with both.

Phenomenal odds!

Before you try a pre-amp, try a Hang-by-a-Thread test to see if signal is too strong.

post #18465 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Phenomenal odds!

Before you try a pre-amp, try a Hang-by-a-Thread test to see if signal is too strong.

I had read about that too before I purchased, I actually spent some good amounts on time in the thread thanks to you and all your links/indexed help files

You've been of great help! WFFF is definitely not too strong...
post #18466 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, I'm OTA. Unfortunately that's not the case. To make my statement clearer, there was this channel (FOX - to name it) that I'm getting fine, even at this very moment, if I plug the RF in directly in my TV, but as soon as I go through the Mag - regardless that its on or not - I lose that channel. So, the channel is there, just not through the Mag

Besides "going through the Mag," you are involving an additional coaxial cable. It is possible for a faulty or poor quality cable (those push-on types can be especially bad) to attenuate the signal. I had such a problem (also with FOX, coincidentally), and switching to a different/better cable fixed it.
post #18467 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 PM

Hi all, this is my first post on this thread if I recall corectly. I haven't followed this thread for a couple years now, it was this thread that lead me to my first 2160a which I have been using for 3 years now without a glich, I love this machine. For some reason I thought I would check in and see what is the latest news. Well I went into panic mode, These units don't seem to be available anywhere, I was kicking myself for not checking in last week. Well, I finally found some refurbished 513HF7's on Amazon and I ordered 2 of them. Wow what a relief. I am busy catching up on the latest upgrades and I see that I am going to have to do the new upgrade that turns my unit into the same machine as the 515HF7.
post #18468 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Magnavox...item5891d5cfdc

More than 10 available, 6 already sold.

That's Buy.com ... doubt they are the speculating profiteer types

Wonder where they got them all

Z

I was able to put 999 in my cart ... the largest quantity allowed to add. ~$250

Just looked ... Amazon (fulfilled by) has 513's for $300 and 515's for $400
post #18469 of 26353 Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post

Hi all, this is my first post on this thread if I recall corectly. I haven't followed this thread for a couple years now, it was this thread that lead me to my first 2160a which I have been using for 3 years now without a glich, I love this machine. For some reason I thought I would check in and see what is the latest news. Well I went into panic mode, These units don't seem to be available anywhere, I was kicking myself for not checking in last week. Well, I finally found some refurbished 513HF7's on Amazon and I ordered 2 of them. Wow what a relief. I am busy catching up on the latest upgrades and I see that I am going to have to do the new upgrade that turns my unit into the same machine as the 515HF7.

See what you've been missing!? But, as they say, better late than never.

post #18470 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 AM

Liked: 15
727V fixes one bug on 726V.
If you do not find any unit strange behave, you do not need to update.

Important!
Please do not downdate FW of your unit.
such as installing H2160 FW into MDR513H or MDR515H.
post #18471 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 AM

Liked: 15
If your unit does not have freezing problem in your home condition, your unit will not have freezing problem in same condition even if you update the unit FW.
post #18472 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 02:28 AM

I have a second 2160a unit that I bought refurbished about 2 years ago as a back up unit that has a problem. I have to hold the remote about one foot away or closer for it to work, any further and the unit does not respond. I have 2 remotes and fresh batteries and I still have to be within a foot of the unit. Is there a fix for this?
post #18473 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

No luck. Tried both CD and DVD at slowest speed possible. The 718H firmware is still stuck on my 513 machine.

Hi dswensen,

My situation appears to be hopeless. According to 234 "According to him (engineer), it is a quite bad case for your MDR513H.
New FW suits to old model but some old FW does not suit to new model because of sub-micro processor specification.

We do not have any good software or other data to solve this problem."
post #18474 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post

Besides "going through the Mag," you are involving an additional coaxial cable. It is possible for a faulty or poor quality cable (those push-on types can be especially bad) to attenuate the signal. I had such a problem (also with FOX, coincidentally), and switching to a different/better cable fixed it.

Thanks for trying t help out. I didn't use the push on cable that came with the machine. I used a coax cable from my own stash. Just to be safe, as soon as I noticed the problem, the first thing I did was try another one, same result

The latest test I made was to remove a splitter from the main feed (which usually goes through a splitter to feed 2 more TVs in the house). This usually gives all channels (but mostly FOX) a little boost by not having that ~ 3db loss but, alas, no help in this case (only difference being it comes in at 52% in my TV's tuner when NOT going through the Mag, as opposed to 38% in the same conditions but with the splitter is in place). Hard to beleive, 52% in one tuner, but the Mag's tuner kills it completely. Probably because even at 52%, the level of noise in the feed is just enough that the Mag's booster actually acts as a noise booster, rather than giving a cleaner boosted signal.
post #18475 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:

Thanks for trying t help out. I didn't use the push on cable that came with the machine. I used a coax cable from my own stash. Just to be safe, as soon as I noticed the problem, the first thing I did was try another one, same result

The latest test I made was to remove a splitter from the main feed (which usually goes through a splitter to feed 2 more TVs in the house). This usually gives all channels (but mostly FOX) a little boost by not having that ~ 3db loss but, alas, no help in this case.

How is the Mag (or Mags) connected to your Panny plasma? HDMI?

If HDMI, have you tried all the HDMI formats using the HDMI button on the remote?

Also, it might be worthwhile to try Component RGB, Composite YWR or S-Video just to see if the HDMI circuit/EDID communication might be the problem (feedback)?

HDMI is a PITA!

post #18476 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Have been noticing like everyone here that there are no 513 / 515 on Walmart's Webpage. I noticed that K-Mart has the 513.
Called "Magnavox" support (Funai) an hour ago to talk to them about both units. Told them I wanted to buy more. I asked if they were stopping production of either unit, or was their a new unit in the make to replace them. She put me on hold. A supervisor then picked up the phone to talk to me. He stated that both units are in production and there is no talk about stopping production. He stated that their was not a newer model in the make as of yet. He said that there has been a huge demand in the last few months for these units, and Funai was having a hard time keeping up with the demand.
I hope this is true?! I really want to buy another 515/513 for myself to use.
I did notice that the prices for both units have almost doubled on Amazon.
The 513 on Kmart's web is about $50 more than I paid through Walmart about 5 weeks ago.
post #18477 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

727V fixes one bug on 726V.
If you find any unit strange behave, you do not need to update.

Important!
Please do not downdate FW of your unit.
such as installing H2160 FW into MDR513H or MDR515H.

Thanks 234 for clarifying the 726V FW versus the 727V FW. I have had no sign of any bug on my new 515H so I am not going to update the FW right now. Thanks again for the info.
Steve
post #18478 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

rxheaven,

You have be very confused where you are measuring signal strength from. It sounds like you are measuring it all from your TV.

How do you have the Mag connected to your tv? Via coax or via Component or via HDMI?
post #18479 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 AM

[quote=rxheaven;21569769]Thanks for trying t help out. I didn't use the push on cable that came with the machine. I used a coax cable from my own stash. Just to be safe, as soon as I noticed the problem, the first thing I did was try another one, same result

I'm OTA as well, and while my Samsung TV usually displays 100% signal strenth the Mags (2160A and 513H) can display the same channel at 50%. So your experience there isn't unusual. That by the way is not necessarily a bad thing. It's difficult to fine tune the antenna's aim when everything reads 100%.

What is unusual is that you can't get a station that your tv receives. I have not generally found that to be the case over time. I'm assuming your Mag tuner doesn't find the station at all ie It's not a question of it showing up in the channel list but often just too weak to be displayed. I'm wondering if this could be a PSIP issue. Have you tried to manually add the actual channel number (as opposed to the virtual channel) to see if that works? My FOX station problem revolved around the Mag picking up the non HD channel as the main channel and if I tried a timer program using the HD channel it would record a black screen. I had to delete the virtual channel and add back the actual channel to get it to work right.

Finally, the preamp should help. I've used a CM 7777 with very good results. There are a number of channels I would not be receiving but for it.
post #18480 of 26353 Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:

How is the Mag (or Mags) connected to your Panny plasma? HDMI?

If HDMI, have you tried all the HDMI formats using the HDMI button on the remote?

Also, it might be worthwhile to try Component RGB, Composite YWR or S-Video just to see if the HDMI circuit/EDID communication might be the problem (feedback)?

HDMI is a PITA!

It's in HDMI, and everything is working fine other than that specific channel.
I certainly can't blame you for trying to help find a solution, I appreciate every bit of it, but at this point HDMI as nothing to do with OTA reception issues.

I did try all the resolutions from 480p to 1080p and notice little difference on PQ. Also tried both RGB normal and enhanced, preffered normal. My TV doesn't have S-video or anything not digital. I guess they figured anyone who gets a VT25 wants the highest PQ available...

@DonB2 Perhaps by trying to give so many details, I may have sound confused. Let me try this one last time.
This AM:
Antenna plugged in directly in TV (as if Mag didn't even existed) : FOX came in at 52%
Antenna plugged in the Mag : FOX doesn't come in at all, in either tuners, both at 0%.

Take this other example for a channel that does come in, in both scenarios.

Antenna plugged in directly in TV (as if Mag didn't even existed) : PBS came in at 79%, NBC at 87%
Antenna plugged in the Mag : PBS now comes in at 71% in the TV's tuner, and 17% in the Mag's tuner. NBC still 87% in TV tuner, but 72% in Mag's tuner.

So, for PBS, it's an 8% drop in my TV's tuner, just by plugging it through the Mag, but the Mag itself pick it up much, much lower, yet still gets a lock and stable image/sound. But for FOX, it's a 52% drop in my TV's tuner, and Mag tuner doesn't pick it up at all either.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page