Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 632 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post

I remember having that problem. I think this is what fixed it...

Setup / General Setting / Playback / Disc Audio / Dolby Digital. Change this setting from Stream to PCM.

Thanks for the info Nocturnal. It worked!
In a related question I wonder why they designed the remote to hit play coming out of pause instead of pause again. That's the only remote I have that does it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Thanks Wajo, Only recently have I been using it as a DVR. I really did not think it would be that useful but it sure is great when you are not concerned about another show coming up on another network. For example the better half and I were watching Masterpiece Theatre Sunday evening with no plans of watching any live tv after that. The better half got a call from her Mom so I just put the DVR on Pause. Luckily the conversation did not last 6 hrs

Now I am thinking about a second one ;(
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I've been following your excellent work on mods to these DVDRs but, now, I find there's no way to refer to all that good work with a link on pg. 1 so advanced users can conveniently follow them.

Your posts are also far outside the understanding of newbies from the VCR age for which this thread was originlnally created, many of whom have been newly created by the long-term availability of these machines.

Over time, I've found many newbies never get to pg. 1 since very few other members send them there or to specific help files. I'm afraid newbies not seeing my "ATTN NEWBIES" note on pg 1 and end up in the middle of high-tech, board-level discussions might be immediately "lost."

There have been suggestions here that you create a new thread (or threads) for accumulating your high-tech "post-newbie" work and other posters' contributions. Such a new thread won't be "lost" like all normal threads as time passes since there'll be a link on pg. 1 to it, or them if you create more than 1 thread for "tech discussions."

I've modified Section 10 on pg 1 to allow a single place for people to find high-tech and other "special content" where I could link to any separate threads you create.

Just some food for thought.

hi wajo...

yes, of course i can do that... well... i'd be happy to... i've never created a thread before and am not quite sure how to do that, though.... i don't want to do it incorrectly... let me see if i can figure it out... if i'm successful, am i able to move those posts i've done over to that thread or do i need to start over ??

rgds
ron g
Old 02-14-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

hi wajo...

yes, of course i can do that... well... i'd be happy to... i've never created a thread before and am not quite sure how to do that, though.... i don't want to do it incorrectly... let me see if i can figure it out... if i'm successful, am i able to move those posts i've done over to that thread or do i need to start over ??

Go to this page and click on New Thread button on top left just above list of threads.

If you want all current info in your 1st post (one option) or in separate posts, you'll have to copy it one post at a time from here. Some thread starters planning ahead to add more posts later immediately create a series of new posts with "Reserved" in them, then they add other info in those subsequent posts to keep all their initial info together, before people start responding. You can always Delete one or more posts later, as reqd.

I'd suggest thread titles something like "Tech. Discussion: Modifying Philips/Mag HDD/DVDR Clock Crystal" or similar so Newbies immediately know it's prob. not of immediate interest to them but techies will flock to it. If it were my thread, I'd even start with a Caution to Newbies: "Do not try this at home!"

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Go to this page and click on New Thread button on top left just above list of threads.

If you want all current info in your 1st post (one option) or in separate posts, you'll have to copy it one post at a time from here. Some thread starters planning ahead to add more posts later immediately create a series of new posts with "Reserved" in them, then they add other info in those subsequent posts to keep all their initial info together, before people start responding. You can always Delete one or more posts later, as reqd.

I'd suggest thread titles something like "Tech. Discussion: Modifying Philips/Mag HDD/DVDR Clock Crystal" or similar so Newbies immediately know it's prob. not of immediate interest to them but techies will flock to it. If it were my thread, I'd even start with a Caution to Newbies: "Do not try this at home!"

hi again...

ok, i think i did it... instead of trapsing thru what i've aready done, i'll just re-post the few pertinent mods i've figured out to date... not really too many. does that seem reasonable ???

rgds,
ron g
Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

hi again...

ok, i think i did it... instead of trapsing thru what i've aready done, i'll just re-post the few pertinent mods i've figured out to date... not really too many. does that seem reasonable ???

rgds,
ron g

It might be best if you quickly "Reserved" a few posts just below your 1st one if you want some of your stuff "up front" ? Just use "Reply" and insert "Reserved."

If you think of any changes you'd like to make to thread title, there's time limit for that... Like "DVR" should be DVDR.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

...ok, i think i did it... instead of trapsing thru what i've aready done, i'll just re-post the few pertinent mods i've figured out to date... not really too many. does that seem reasonable ???

Great!

Now, *PLEASE*:
  • Change DVR to DVDR.
  • Add 6 posts with 'Reserved' in the Title and Body - you can delete the extras later.
  • If you don't change Post #1's Title soon, it will be LOCKed and need a Mod to change it.
  • If you need *ANY* help posting / formatting / etc..., just ask.
    i.e. Post #1 could contain a list of LINKs / INDEX to the completed 'Experiments'. Take a look at:
    ClearToLand's Panasonic DVDR Tips I originally created it almost four years ago with the intention of passing it on to Digado, but, IMHO, he appears to be under the misconception that:
    1. *ALL* FAQs need to look like wajo's
    2. He doesn't have the time, yet he posts 'quite often', with LINKs and PICTUREs and MANUALs and all other kinds of *GOOD* Panasonic 'Stuff'!
Looking forward to all of your *EXCELLENT* Technical 'Experiments'!

Thanks!

P.S. I'd also like to see a continuation of rxheaven's 'Fringe Antenna' discussion. With Kelson's ongoing updates of his HTPC 'Experiment' in CitiBear's new thread, SUDDENLY there's a plethora of *INTERESTING* material for NON-NEWBIES to read!

UPDATE: Added 'Suggested Names for New Technical Threads' QUOTE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

...I propose that we create TWO new threads here in the DVDR Forum, where we're all 'friends' and already know one another:
  1. Mag Tuner Problems With Fringe Antennas
  2. Customizing the 'Guts' (or 'Internals') of Your Mag DVDR - WARNING: VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i 3rd that one as well.... definitely at least sounds like a bi-directional comm issue... a friend with a 3575 had the same issue with his COX service.... placing his 3575 in line caused all kinds of havoc because the 3575 loop is NOT bi-directional... we had to use a splitter to alleviate the problem...

rgds

ron g

Well, I removed the 3576 from the loop and still have the same issue. I actually already had a splitter in the mix sending one signal to the tv coaxial input and the other to the 3576. I eliminated the 3576 first and ran from the splitter to the FIOS DVR but that didn't help. Finally I eliminated the splitter completely and went right into the DVR and it still locks up after watching a program. The old DVR is still working fine in the bedroom. Guess I need a service call from Verizon.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekoler View Post

I wonder why they designed the remote to hit play coming out of pause instead of pause again. That's the only remote I have that does it that way.

Only reason I can think of for it to be that way is patent licensing issues. Likely no one knows for sure but the lawyers.

I have more than one like that, but it's horrible logic to press play to resume recording from pause, and clumsy, both because two buttons are involved, and because the two are neither over/under nor side by side, plus on the 515 remote the two aren't even adjacent diagonally.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

Well, I removed the 3576 from the loop and still have the same issue. I actually already had a splitter in the mix sending one signal to the tv coaxial input and the other to the 3576. I eliminated the 3576 first and ran from the splitter to the FIOS DVR but that didn't help. Finally I eliminated the splitter completely and went right into the DVR and it still locks up after watching a program. The old DVR is still working fine in the bedroom. Guess I need a service call from Verizon.

Try rebooting the set top box. On my Verizon Motorola STB (release 1.9) it's in Main Menu> Customer Support> In Home Agent. There are also other things you can try in that menu like "Set-Top Box Auto Correction" and "Auto-fix Common DVR Issues".
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
@wajo and others : as far as recording the buffer to HDD, in the event that the program hasn't ended yet. Wouldn't it be possible to backtrack to the point you want to start recording, follow the instructions, and instead of having to wait until the show ends to press STOP 2X, press the "record" key once more to add 30 minutes, 2X for 1 hour, and so on (like regular "live tv" recording)? Or is it that, once we record the buffer, this function is no longer allowed (successive pressing of "record" key)? If so, shouldn't it be on the wish list?

If I was home right now, I guess I'd just try it, but I'm not. And I'm sure someone must've tried that in the past...
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxheaven View Post

@wajo and others : as far as recording the buffer to HDD, in the event that the program hasn't ended yet. Wouldn't it be possible to backtrack to the point you want to start recording, follow the instructions, and instead of having to wait until the show ends to press STOP 2X, press the "record" key once more to add 30 minutes, 2X for 1 hour, and so on (like regular "live tv" recording)? Or is it that, once we record the buffer, this function is no longer allowed (successive pressing of "record" key)? If so, shouldn't it be on the wish list?

If I was home right now, I guess I'd just try it, but I'm not. And I'm sure someone must've tried that in the past...

All I know for sure is that a "normal" REC op is one thing that stops background buffering.

Edit: Nope, pressing REC once locks out that another press.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

What is with the DVDR vs DVR ? Because the Mag does not record HD?

RKg22, IMHO I would rather you focus on Mods rather than a new Forum

Just don't tell Wajo I said so
Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Attn all you 513 owners: I just ordered one from Walmart($209),and have 90 days to decide if I want to buy an extended warranty($20 for 2yrs,$28.88 for 3yrs).These even include a lube and cleaning each year(not sure how they can do that for such little money).Anyway,from all you owner's experience,would you suggest I buy one? Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
O.K. All,

The replacement burner and its companion PCB arrived today. I replaced the PCB in my 513 with this new PCB (If you'll recall I had mistakenly loaded 715 firmware into my 513, "irrevocably".) The FW does indeed reside on this PCB (it was 72A on this replacement board).

Having done a skip '987' (which allows the drive and the PCB to make nice with each other), I updated the FW on the 513 to 727V. Success, the 513 is now a quasi 515.

Then I took the accompanying burner and used it to replace the moribund burner in my V2160A. Skip '987' and I'm back in business.

Thanks to Ron who suggested that the FW is on the companion PCB and Wajo for his incredibly informative site.

Oh, is skip '987' the only skip command that optimizes the board with the drive?

Jim
Old 02-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

O.K. All,

The replacement burner and its companion PCB arrived today. I replaced the PCB in my 513 with this new PCB (If you'll recall I had mistakenly loaded 715 firmware into my 513, "irrevocably".) The FW does indeed reside on this PCB (it was 72A on this replacement board).

Having done a skip '987' (which allows the drive and the PCB to make nice with each other), I updated the FW on the 513 to 727V. Success, the 513 is now a quasi 515.

Then I took the accompanying burner and used it to replace the moribund burner in my V2160A. Skip '987' and I'm back in business.

Thanks to Ron who suggested that the FW is on the companion PCB and Wajo for his incredibly informative site.

Oh, is skip '987' the only skip command that optimizes the board with the drive?

Jim

Well, I spoke too soon. The V2160A's new burner is as problematic as the old one. It's refusing to burn to DVD+R regardless of medium quality (but will, as the old, burn +RW). Also remember that a week or so ago I put my 515's drive into the 2160A and it worked flawlessly. This is what led me to conclude the 2160A's burner was solely at fault.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, I spoke too soon. The V2160A's new burner is as problematic as the old one. It's refusing to burn to DVD+R regardless of medium quality (but will, as the old, burn +RW). Also remember that a week or so ago I put my 515's drive into the 2160A and it worked flawlessly. This is what led me to conclude the 2160A's burner was solely at fault.

Revert the V2160A to 72A FW to match the FW the burner "came with"?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just make sure the 715 FW CD is NOWHERE within reach.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

What is with the DVDR vs DVR ? Because the Mag does not record HD?

Because the Mag is a DVD Recorder.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Because the Mag is a DVD Recorder

I posit ours get more use as DVHD R than as DVD R, while the moniker DVR covers both.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

Just make sure the 715 FW CD is NOWHERE within reach.

I destroyed it with great prejudice
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

I posit ours get more use as DVHD R than as DVD R, while the moniker DVR covers both.

The DVR moniker does cover both, but both types are not the subject of the thread, only the DVDR ones. Also, DVDR intrinsically implies SD-only digital recording, while DVR can also encompass HD recording. I think it is less confusing to use DVDR in this case.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Ok I loaded in the Mag 2160A FW update with 727V super FW, but had to use a CD not DVD. Everything went good. Tried to load the same on my Phillips 3575 but with no success. CD or DVD would load and say FW Up but no file loading percentage on screen, just opened tray and asked for a disc. Also tried the other 727H FW update. Any ideas from anyone?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wajo,

Downgraded to 72A on the 2160A and still no workie.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobner View Post

Ok I loaded in the Mag 2160A FW update with 727 super FW, but had to use a CD not DVD. Everything went good. Tried to load the same on my Phillips 3575 but with no success. CD or DVD would load and say FW Up but no file loading percentage on screen, just opened tray and asked for a disc. Any ideas from anyone?

Yes, don't try that again! Also, don't try 727 FW on a 2080 or 2160 either! Not made for those PATA-based units.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Wajo,

I've got one word and it starts with "C" and ends with "p" !

Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Yes, don't try that again! Also, don't try 727 FW on a 2080 or 2160 either! Not made for those PATA-based units.

Ok so you are saying I should not have used the super FW update on my 2160a and that there is no FW update for the 3575. and what is PATA
Old 02-15-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Stacking Giveth & Taketh Away!

Changing settings in stacked units of same brand is great for making changes to settings, esp. the clock.

EXCEPT, you have to remember NOT to use arrows to make changes since EACH UNIT MAY BE ON A DIFFERENT SETTING/TIME!

Use the number buttons in those cases.

(No wonder my clocks were goofy!?)

Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobner View Post

Ok so you are saying I should not have used the super FW update on my 2160a and that there is no FW update for the 3575. and what is PATA

Luckily, SuperFW 727V was designed and tested here for use in 2160A, 513 and 515.

FW for a diff. machine *typically* won't really load, like yours didn't, but it's not a good idea to try unless you have someone else who's tried it.

There is a FW update for the 3575 but it's just for some minor disc-reading problem. Many have tried it and it made no diff. in their 3575. Click here. May not be worth the small risk in FW updating???

PATA is the old Parallel "IDE" HDD type and SATA is the new/current Serial type as in the 2160A, 513, and 515.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Wajo,

hi jim...

hows about you throw your original 515 DVD burner back into the problematic machine and try that again... if it works, leave that one in the problematic machine and just install the burner that you just got, into your 515 and see if that combo works...

it's a little mind-boggling to me that your original 515 drive would work properly, but the replacement would not....

are the part numbers on the 2 515 drives the same ?

also, probably not the issue, but DO be sure you've got those ribbons inserted properly, especially on the connector that has the little flip-down latch...

rgds,
ron g

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com