Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 655 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #19621 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

rkg, thanks for update and interesting tests, even if not successful... yet.

I wonder if there's a way to "cheaply" polarize the IR so a unit senses only IR in one plane? Remote has rotating IR polarizer?

Patent Pending

well, actually that might be a thought... i did look at IR filters, but only for wavelength. those were boo-coo bucks. i imagine that if there's a polarizing filter, it might be every bit as expensive...

chuckle, i'm actually tempted to go to the local drugstore and get a pair of cheap polaroids to test with...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19622 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

as you say the latter can't be done as far as we know on the Funai file system

Or as I wrote upthread that drew zero responses, maybe it's done automatically.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #19623 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

UPDATE on 515 with 727v firmware to 1tb hdd, it is a no go , when new 1tb hdd is installed I got an message saying you cannot use this hdd. so tried installing firmware again, still got the message... now we know. also E48 is in the bottom of error message page. I put back the western dig 500 gb back and the titles where all there.

The limit is in the TM001_0TM001_00.MAP file. The allocation units are in 8 Meg chucks and there are 16 bit numbers to address the allocation units. So the file system limit is 550 Gig. It might be possible to re-size the file system to a 550 Gig. But not more. I already tried more, it doesn't work.

More information can be found here.

By the way, that post says how to rip mpgs from the hard drive. I just haven't figured out how to connect the title to the mpg file. Haven't had much time to work on that.
post #19624 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Liked: 13
I'm going to calibrate the clock in one of the Mags as described in this thread,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1394158
Thank you to rkg22 for pioneering this mod.
For anybody who did this already, what ended up being your total capacitance value to satisfy the accuracy?
I only have two caps small enough to play with right now, a 100pF and a 33pF.
I plan to order some more to get finely tuned. I am trying to get a general consensus of values so I know what values to order.
I am very interested in the quest to mod the IR remote controls on these machines as I have two of them on the same remote scheme and it's a PITA to have to cover one up while using the other.
post #19625 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

I'm going to calibrate the clock in one of the Mags as described in this thread,
For anybody who did this already, what ended up being your total capacitance value to satisfy the accuracy?
I plan to order some more to get finely tuned. I am trying to get a general consensus of values so I know what values to order.
I am very interested in the quest to mod the IR remote controls on these machines as I have two of them on the same remote scheme and it's a PITA to have to cover one up while using the other.

Adding one 100pF cap from Radio Shack caused my 515H to go from 15 seconds/week to 5 seconds/month. Leave the leads long on the first cap in case to wish to add another. In your situation I would use both and see if it starts to run slow. If it runs fast I don't mind adding time to the end of a title.
post #19626 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

hi morc258..

i have 3 philips 3576's, and 1 mag mdr-513....
the smallest cap i have needed has been 10pf ...
the largest cap i have needed has been 147pf ( 100pf in parallel with a 47pf add-on ).

only 1 machine required about 10pf...
the majority were always around 100pf, so this is a good place to start...

for those of you who might want the versatility of a trimmer instead of a fixed value, so you can get real precise, the following link will get you a variable trimmer with a 10 to 150 pf range from digikey, for 4.98 each...

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...G3013-ND/65282

carefully shaping the contact leads should make it sit ok on top of the AV PCB ( motherboard ) where the crystal is located...

rgds,
ron g
post #19627 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Adding one 100pF cap from Radio Shack caused my 515H to go from 15 seconds/week to 5 seconds/month. Leave the leads long on the first cap in case to wish to add another. In your situation I would use both and see if it starts to run slow. If it runs fast I don't mind adding time to the end of a title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

hi morc258..

i have 3 philips 3576's, and 1 mag mdr-513....
the smallest cap i have needed has been 10pf ...
the largest cap i have needed has been 147pf ( 100pf in parallel with a 47pf add-on ).

only 1 machine required about 10pf...
the majority were always around 100pf, so this is a good place to start...

for those of you who might want the versatility of a trimmer instead of a fixed value, so you can get real precise, the following link will get you a variable trimmer with a 10 to 150 pf range from digikey, for 4.98 each...

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...G3013-ND/65282

carefully shaping the contact leads should make it sit ok on top of the AV PCB ( motherboard ) where the crystal is located...

rgds,
ron g

Thanks for the input from both of you. Looks like I'll try the 513 first, it's gaining about 1 second per day. I still need to get a baseline on the 2160, it runs fast as well.

rkg22, do you think changing the LED on the remote to a visible wavelength and choosing the correct gel, as listed below, for the receiver might work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Sheets-Opt...8#ht_500wt_922
post #19628 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post

Does anyone know if you can remove the hard drive from a Magnavox MDR513H/F7 or MDR515H/F7 DVR, hook it to your PC, defragment it, and then place it back into the unit? I would only foresee one problem, and that's removing the hard drive. Perhaps it's one of those types of mounting brackets that are not easy to remove. Does anyone know any info on defragmenting the HDD?

If there is a problem with your Maggie (or any other) hard drive, there is a excellent utility available called SPINRITE, which may fix the problem(s).
SpinRite is not a drive defragmenter. It operates with the drive's built-in intelligence to reassign and relocate defective sectors without creating file system fragments.
It is use by many manufacturers and repair facilities to repair TiVo and other DVR hard drives.
Spinrite costs about $80, but if you have a number of hard drive (on DVR's and/or PC's) it may be a worthwhile item to own.

More info here: http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

post #19629 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

If there is a problem with your Maggie (or any other) hard drive, there is a excellent utility available called SPINRITE, which may fix the problem(s).
SpinRite is not a drive defragmenter. It operates with the drive's built-in intelligence to reassign and relocate defective sectors without creating file system fragments.
It is use by many manufacturers and repair facilities to repair TiVo and other DVR hard drives.
Spinrite costs about $80, but if you have a number of hard drive (on DVR's and/or PC's) it may be a worthwhile item to own.

More info here: http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

You have to remove the drive from the DVR and "install" it in a PC and boot the PC from a diskette/CD/USB stick and boot DOS to run spinrite
post #19630 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

You have to remove the drive from the DVR and "install" it in a PC and boot the PC from a diskette/CD/USB stick and boot DOS to run spinrite

That is correct. This utility will not run from a CD or DVD mounted in the DVR drive.

Spinrite has it's own self-contained operating system (FreeDOS) and in actual use, one usually configure their PC's BIOS to first boot to the drive containing the disk or flash drive holding the utility. Spinrite is written in machine language and is less than 170KB in size.

post #19631 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

That is correct. This utility will not run from a CD or DVD mounted in the DVR drive.

Spinrite has it's own self-contained operating system (FreeDOS) and in actual use, one usually configure their PC's BIOS to first boot to the drive containing the disk or flash drive holding the utility. Spinrite is written in machine language and is less than 170KB in size.

Have used Spinrite for years. Steve Gibson the author of Spinwrite does a weekly podcast dealing with all aspects of security and the inter workings of the Internet on Twit.Tv listing to it every week.
post #19632 of 26353 Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Have used Spinrite for years. Steve Gibson the author of Spinwrite does a weekly podcast dealing with all aspects of security and the inter workings of the Internet on Twit.Tv listing to it every week.

Interested members can listen to, read transcripts, watch or download those podcasts at:
Audio & Transcripts: http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
Videos: http://twit.tv/sn

post #19633 of 26353 Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
RKG22,

I wish someone sold a inexpensive after market. IR or RF module that would basically stick/glue to the IR end of a remote. Then it would convert the signal to something unique and send it to the Mag IR recvr that had a module covering the IR in port.
post #19634 of 26353 Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

Wow!
I need to call there to get such good news since I have never heard of it here.

Now it's official, the only smart person at Funai is 234.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post

Does anyone know if you can remove the hard drive from a Magnavox MDR513H/F7 or MDR515H/F7 DVR, hook it to your PC, defragment it, and then place it back into the unit? I would only foresee one problem, and that's removing the hard drive. Perhaps it's one of those types of mounting brackets that are not easy to remove. Does anyone know any info on defragmenting the HDD?

PeterTheGreat, has made a thread full of info on that subject:

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513/515
post #19635 of 26353 Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

RKG22,

I wish someone sold a inexpensive after market. IR or RF module that would basically stick/glue to the IR end of a remote. Then it would convert the signal to something unique and send it to the Mag IR recvr that had a module covering the IR in port.

These may be cumbersome, but it just may work. The IR blaster looks small and possibly could be secured directly in front of the IR receiver on the machine.

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio.../dp/B0018L7NDC

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...pd_sim_sbs_e_1
post #19636 of 26353 Old 03-19-2012, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

That's "PeterTheGeek". You have him confused with a Russian Czar.
post #19637 of 26353 Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

These may be cumbersome, but it just may work. The IR blaster looks small and possibly could be secured directly in front of the IR receiver on the machine.

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio.../dp/B0018L7NDC

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Since I currently have my 513 in the same room as my original 515 (and turned facing a different direction!) if this could be made to work, it'd be worth the price.

Thing is, how would you prevent IR emissions from the other remote from getting to the RF transmitter's IR receiver?

Seems you're still stuck with the same old problem. Two remotes using identical codes being used in the same room.

Users of older TiVos sometimes use what they call "IR forts" to block all light from reaching the cable or satellite box the TiVo is trying to control, and a cord that gives off the TiVo's own IR flashes has its IR emitter stuck inside the "tent".

In our situation, you'd have to find some way of doing that not only with the Maggie that's making use of this IR to RF control extender, but you'd also have to find a way to stop any light from the other remote from reaching the extender's "#1 unit", the part that receives IR and sends out the RF.

You'd essentially have to put the sending end of the remote inside an IR tent with that RF transmitter so the RF transmitter sees nothing else. Then how do you control the second remote? Put your hand inside the tent or box?
post #19638 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Since I currently have my 513 in the same room as my original 515 (and turned facing a different direction!) if this could be made to work, it'd be worth the price.

Thing is, how would you prevent IR emissions from the other remote from getting to the RF transmitter's IR receiver?

Seems you're still stuck with the same old problem. Two remotes using identical codes being used in the same room.

Users of older TiVos sometimes use what they call "IR forts" to block all light from reaching the cable or satellite box the TiVo is trying to control, and a cord that gives off the TiVo's own IR flashes has its IR emitter stuck inside the "tent".

In our situation, you'd have to find some way of doing that not only with the Maggie that's making use of this IR to RF control extender, but you'd also have to find a way to stop any light from the other remote from reaching the extender's "#1 unit", the part that receives IR and sends out the RF.

You'd essentially have to put the sending end of the remote inside an IR tent with that RF transmitter so the RF transmitter sees nothing else. Then how do you control the second remote? Put your hand inside the tent or box?

You would still need two remotes for the two Mags, but one of the remotes you would cover the IR emitter because the RF transmitter is in the battery compartment.You don't want this remotes IR to get to the 2nd Mags receiver. This remote would send signal to the base unit by radio and then convert the signal to IR through the small emitter attached directly on the receiver of the 1st Mag, blocking any other source of IR.
On the other remote, you would leave it as normal, to operate the second machine.
On the little UFO looking base unit, I think you would have to block off the window on it. I think there are IR emitters (blaster) built in the base unit as well as the small emitter on a wire. You wouldn't want any stray IR getting to the unit you are using the normal remote on.
I can't find the owners manual for these, but this is the manufacturers website.
http://www.nextgen.us/NextGen_Remote...tenderplus.htm

{EDIT}
Found this in a search:
http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/NextG...433-MHz/p.aspx
That site has good pictures and a pdf of the instructions. The manual says the base unit does function as a IR Blaster, so you would have to cover or disable those emitters somehow.
post #19639 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

That's "PeterTheGeek". You have him confused with a Russian Czar.

Or he's confused with me, NickTheGreat

And I am no Russian Czar, but did stay in a Holiday Inn Saturday night . . .
post #19640 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Or he's confused with me, NickTheGreat

And I am no Russian Czar, but did stay in a Holiday Inn Saturday night . . .

And did you stay in a room fit for a king? Or is that fitted with a king.
post #19641 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Magnavox 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575

post #19642 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53 View Post

And did you stay in a room fit for a king? Or is that fitted with a king.

Why, yes it did have a King Size bed.
post #19643 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

post #19644 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Liked: 145

FYI... Just read a post that may apply to some here who have units they have stashed away.

This post mentions "electrolytic capacitors" and how they can dry out from non-use, then short out when power is applied!

I'm wondering if our units have any flux capacitors that need actual operation, not just plugging in, to "goose" the capacitance a little? That might keep them "wet"!?

A capacitor expert might advise here?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #19645 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

I don't quite get the point of your post. You posted the same thing twice and I didn't understand the purpose the first time. We're you responding to a question?
post #19646 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 05:06 PM

The first time he said it, the second time he yelled it. I think he meant to stay on topic.
post #19647 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

You would still need two remotes for the two Mags, but one of the remotes you would cover the IR emitter because the RF transmitter is in the battery compartment...

Good grief, morc! I finally got what you meant on how these work!

This is fantastic.

I could leave my machines the way they are, with the 513 turned the other way (and maybe covered with a "tent", and the relay's IR emitter inside the tent).

I'm gonna think about this, now that I've got a clearer grasp of what you meant. Most likely will get one and let everyone know how it turns out.

Quote:

The first time he said it, the second time he yelled it. I think he meant to stay on topic.

It might have been the Holiday Inn related posts he had in mind. Someone may not have seen the commercials and not gotten the joke. Might have thought they were being serious.
post #19648 of 26353 Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It would be nice if there were 513s/515s in hotel rooms. Like when I go to Las Vegas. I am out gambling when everything I normally watch on tv is on. It would be nice to come back to my room after midnight and be able to watch a recording of shows I recorded earlier. Wait, hotels want us to PAY for their prime time anytime or whatever it's called service on LodgeNet! And they sure don't want us playing our own DVDs instead of paying for pay-per-view!

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #19649 of 26353 Old 03-21-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Good grief, morc! I finally got what you meant on how these work!

This is fantastic.

I could leave my machines the way they are, with the 513 turned the other way (and maybe covered with a "tent", and the relay's IR emitter inside the tent).

I'm gonna think about this, now that I've got a clearer grasp of what you meant. Most likely will get one and let everyone know how it turns out.

It might have been the Holiday Inn related posts he had in mind. Someone may not have seen the commercials and not gotten the joke. Might have thought they were being serious.

Hey gastrof,
It looks like if you apply the "emitter on a wire" directly to the receiver eye on the front of the Maggie, as to block any other IR from getting to it, you will not have to put the Mag in a "tent" or turn it sideways. The small emitter has adhesive built onto it so it can be stuck on the receiver. A little electrical tape around the receiver eye would help block any stray IR and would not be very noticeable.
You still have to disable the IR blasters in the base unit, because you wont need those for anything.
post #19650 of 26353 Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 154
What a bargain! Amazon/Electronics Club has dropped the price to $550.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page