Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 664 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #19891 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned this dvr for approx one year.. I am very frustrated with it at the moment.. it seems as tho most any morning, it is frozen.. wont come back on for at least 4 hrs.. and I can no longer select the edit or dub option on the menu when selecting from the list onscreen.. To best of my knowledge, I am not having power changes this often.. and I do have it plugged in thru a very good surge protector.. some of the directions you have helped me with thru the walmart question site are a bit confusing for this old gal..

any help out there??

Thanks. .. Ocalalady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19892 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

I just click the link in the E-Mail message I receive from AVS
whenever there's a new post in one of my subscribed threads.

I already get enough noise in my email inbox without being notified every time somebody posts to one of my (many) subscribed threads.
post #19893 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

I already get enough noise in my email inbox without being notified every time somebody posts to one of my (many) subscribed threads.

I have several email accounts reserved for different purposes. GMail mainly for business; Yahoo for business and personal messages; Netzero for forum subscribed threads, Facebook and occasional personal messages; as well as a Juno account for misc.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #19894 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

I have several email accounts reserved for different purposes. GMail mainly for business; Yahoo for business and personal messages; Netzero for forum subscribed threads, Facebook and occasional personal messages; as well as a Juno account for misc.

Hope you have a secretary
post #19895 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by melulu View Post

I have owned this dvr for approx one year.. I am very frustrated with it at the moment.. it seems as tho most any morning, it is frozen.. wont come back on for at least 4 hrs.. and I can no longer select the edit or dub option on the menu when selecting from the list onscreen.. To best of my knowledge, I am not having power changes this often.. and I do have it plugged in thru a very good surge protector.. some of the directions you have helped me with thru the walmart question site are a bit confusing for this old gal..

any help out there??

Thanks. .. Ocalalady.

Hello melulu,
I am assuming you mean you have to leave it unplugged for 4 hours before it will start back up normally? Are you scanning analog and digital channels? On some cable services, if the machine is powered up tuned to a analog channel it will cause it to lock up. A way to see if this is an issue is set all your timed recordings to digital channels only and keep the tuner in digital mode when you shut the machine off. You want to stop the machine from starting up in analog tuner mode. If it stops locking up on you then there are solutions to resolve your issue.
Being that you have the 515 model it takes a long time unplugged for it to clear. We will need more info from you to help troubleshoot your problem.
post #19896 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
ed1

I have inserted a CD-R with jpeg (I believe) photos into the Mag 513. The 513 reads the disk. The photo directory file and the individual photo files appear on the TV screen in the disk's title menu. When I click on one photo file, a photo slide show (with 5 second spacing) of all photos on the CD-R runs on the TV screen.

Is there a way to record this slide show onto the 513's HDD as a video?

I suppose I could run the slide show on another DVD or CD player which is plugged into the L2 external inputs on the 513. But is there a way to do it using only the 513?
post #19897 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1 View Post

I have inserted a CD-R with jpeg (I believe) photos into the Mag 513. The 513 reads the disk. The photo directory file and the individual photo files appear on the TV screen in the disk's title menu. When I click on one photo file, a photo slide show (with 5 second spacing) of all photos on the CD-R runs on the TV screen.

I suppose I could run the slide show on another DVD or CD player which is plugged into the L2 external inputs on the 513. But is there a way to do it using only the 513?

I doubt it. You would have to switch to HDD mode in order to record to the hard drive.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #19898 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1 View Post

Connect a composite or S-Video cable from the video out to the L1 or L2 video input. Start a HDD recording on the external input, then switch to the DVD drive and start playing the photo CD.
post #19899 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM

I bought a new Philips 7-device SRP5107xx universal remote yesterday at WallyWorld, and so far it refuses to work on the Magnavox 2160A(with 727V update). Install new alkaline AA batteries- check. Perform procedure per manual on TV button, for Sylvania CRT TV mfg in '04(code 2809), check. It operates the TV just fine. Perform procedure for M-vox 2160A(code 1056) on DVR(vcr) button- nope, it goes bad in step 4. Long press of "Power" button eventually turns off the TV, but does nothing to the 2160A. So far, nothing I've tried does any good(tried setup under DVD & HDD both- same result.) If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to speak up.

Notes:
*I run the 2160A with a One-For-All URC 8820N universal remote. It worked fine before recently applying the 727V update, and continues to work with no problems since the update. Because of this, it seems doubtful to me that the problem is due to the update.

*At WM, several of the packages of the 5107 remote showed signs of having been opened. I dug back about 3 deep to get one with intact factory seals on the box flaps. Maybe signs of a bad batch of these remotes at WM?

Any & all help appreciated.
post #19900 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrtyro View Post

I bought a new Philips 7-device SRP5107xx universal remote yesterday at WallyWorld, and so far it refuses to work on the Magnavox 2160A(with 727V update). Install new alkaline AA batteries- check. Perform procedure per manual on TV button, for Sylvania CRT TV mfg in '04(code 2809), check. It operates the TV just fine. Perform procedure for M-vox 2160A(code 1056) on DVR(vcr) button- nope, it goes bad in step 4. Long press of "Power" button eventually turns off the TV, but does nothing to the 2160A. So far, nothing I've tried does any good(tried setup under DVD & HDD both- same result.) If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to speak up.

Notes:
*I run the 2160A with a One-For-All URC 8820N universal remote. It worked fine before recently applying the 727V update, and continues to work with no problems since the update. Because of this, it seems doubtful to me that the problem is due to the update.

*At WM, several of the packages of the 5107 remote showed signs of having been opened. I dug back about 3 deep to get one with intact factory seals on the box flaps. Maybe signs of a bad batch of these remotes at WM?

Any & all help appreciated.

Try the code for Funai. That's what I did and it worked.
post #19901 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrtyro View Post

I bought a new Philips 7-device SRP5107xx universal remote yesterday at WallyWorld, and so far it refuses to work on the Magnavox 2160A(with 727V update). Install new alkaline AA batteries- check. Perform procedure per manual on TV button, for Sylvania CRT TV mfg in '04(code 2809), check. It operates the TV just fine. Perform procedure for M-vox 2160A(code 1056) on DVR(vcr) button- nope,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53 View Post

Try the code for Funai. That's what I did and it worked.

Funai code is 1056, which is one he tried, and the one I wrote in my review.

I wonder if I really tried Magnavox code, 1706, or PhilipsMagnavox, 3715, and wrote down the wrong number?

I did notice it sometimes took 2-3 or more tries for some learned commands, so try device code again?
post #19902 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I wonder if I really tried Magnavox code, 1706, or PhilipsMagnavox, 3715, and wrote down the wrong number?

I did notice it sometimes took 2-3 or more tries for some learned commands, so try device code again?

I just checked my records, and I used the 1056 code on the DVR button for my 2160A. I do seem to recall that during the setup process I had to hold the power button down for quite a while before it turned the 2160A off. It may have been a couple of minutes, or so, but I can't swear to that . There may be a lot of different setups it has to try under that code before it hits the one for the 2160A. It might have even turned something else off before it got the 2160A. I believe I started doing the scans with the remote close to the unit I was trying to setup, so the signal would not hit all the equipment, to reduce the problem with the wrong unit being turned off.

By comparison, it found my Philips 42PF7320A TV using the 2195 code on the TV button almost immediately.
post #19903 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Several hours ago I put v513#2 at my friend's BHN house in place of the v515 that I'd had there since last summer. The 515 now has a nearly filled HD. When I brought the 515 back I decided to start by doing channel setup with the cable disconnected so that it wouldn't remember anything but ATSC channels while I'm using it here. It locked up on channel 91. Cycling the power didn't help. At 20:28 I pulled its plug. 180 minutes later I held in the power switch, powered up, and it's usable again. Channel preset I'll try again tomorrow, as tonight it needs to record from L2.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #19904 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Liked: 12
Curious. Do the Magnavox refurbs (J&R etc) ship in a plain brown box or the very obvious and eye-catching retail-type box?
post #19905 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Retail box well-protected inside a bigger plain cardboard box, in my case, from J&R. Super fast, too.
post #19906 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

hi folks...

yes, the correct code for Mags IS the Funai Code 1056. i stumbled on this one after setting up my first Philips remote ( same kind )... when i bought a 2nd remote, i had forgotten that neither the ' Magnavox ' nor the ' Philips/Magnavox ' codes would work...

i stupidly did a ' customer service chat ' online with the Philips folks... they didn't have a clue, and also did NOT have an entry for the Mag DVRs in their database...

then i, of course, went thru the motions again, but used the wrong remote to test with, and promptly made both remotes not work....

then i, of course, referred back here and realized that someone had figured the mess out by using the Funai code... i then promptly was able to make both remotes work...

be aware that one does NOT have to begin with the Mag powered ON. Things will work with the unit powered OFF while searching for the correct landing spot. I mention this ONLY because the Mags have a ' delay ' when one hits the power button to turn the things off, which could make the search process ' slide by ' the correct landing spot... better to begin with the Mag powered OFF. the mags respond instantly when powering ON, and the chance of a ' slide-by ' is eliminated....

also remember to press the ' device ' button twice to confirm the landing spot...

rgds,
ron g
post #19907 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Both my 513 refurbs came in brown boxes, several days longer than I expected from J&R, normal time from Planet73.

post #19908 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM

one more little side-note...

the Philips SRP5107 & 5107WM appear to be the same product.... the 10.00 jobs were the 5107's.... the last one i purchased was the 5107WM ( can anyone say ' Wal Mart ' ? ) and it was the 12.98 job.

the WM model replaces the L2 button with a 3D button, but all else seems to be the same... just an interesting quip i guess... also, my 5107WM, even though factory sealed in its box, had an ' abbreviated ' user manual that DID NOT include the full code list, but only the quicky code list. neither here nor there, i suppose, since one can download the manual online....

ok.. nuff said...

rgds,
ron g
post #19909 of 25743 Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

Several hours ago I put v513#2 at my friend's BHN house in place of the v515 that I'd had there since last summer. The 515 now has a nearly filled HD. When I brought the 515 back I decided to start by doing channel setup with the cable disconnected so that it wouldn't remember anything but ATSC channels while I'm using it here. It locked up on channel 91. Cycling the power didn't help. At 20:28 I pulled its plug. 180 minutes later I held in the power switch, powered up, and it's usable again. Channel preset I'll try again tomorrow, as tonight it needs to record from L2.

hi mrmazda...

i haven't been lucky enough to encounter a lockup during channel scans. i have, however, encountered ' complete loss of digital channel memory ' for what seems to be no apparent reason. the only thing i can think of would be that the machines might blow out digital memory if they have auto-clock enabled and try to search for a clock signal with no digital reception found during the nightly ( or daily ) clock update process...

i can't recall if my machine was set with auto clock enabled or not, so i have no real evidence for this guess...

rgds,
ron g
post #19910 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 04:31 AM

Liked: 11
Hi:

For Philips remotes the Philips website has a code finder for each model of remote. The app allows you to pick the device class and the manufacturer. So for the sru5107/27 the webpage is here

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...&scy=us&slg=en

If you look on the left side it has a bunch of links. One of them is "Remote control code finder". Click on that and it will allow you to determine the different codes for different devices.

One of the keys of my Mag2080 doesn't work anymore (the down arrow key). I will try to pick one of these remotes up and hopefully it'll work.

Hope that helps.
post #19911 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I configured my remote on code 3715 from the short list. It turned off the old Sanyo tube TV after about 30 secs, but it seemed like a good 5 min or more to get to the 2160A, so I assume 3715 is incorrect and it had to use the full scan to get to it. Even when it did find it, the button presets were mostly wrong, like ch+ and ch- for >>| and |<<.

Learning buttons from the old remote worked perfectly every time, just 2 or 3 secs each...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #19912 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

Trying to auto channel preset with or without the antenna connected got stuck on channel 2, but allowed exit using return button. Skip 123 OK was required to get it to find channels. Whether I should proceed to do it again with cable disconnected, or whether there is any point to do so after a Skip 123 OK, is open to discussion.

post #19913 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

...i can't recall if my machine was set with auto clock enabled or not, so i have no real evidence for this guess...

If the fan came on everyday just before noon and midnight the auto clock was enabled.

post #19914 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
It appears that J&R are out of stock again on both the 515s and 513s.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #19915 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

It appears that J&R are out of stock again on both the 515s and 513s.

I ordered a 515 on April 3rd from J&R, received a confirmation of my order by e-mail including shipping date, expected arrival date and tapped into my bank account for the funds.

This afternoon April 5th they call and e-mail me that my order has been cancelled. The funds were returned to my account.

How is that for customer service??
post #19916 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALET75 View Post

I ordered a 515 on April 3rd from J&R, received a confirmation of my order by e-mail including shipping date, expected arrival date and tapped into my bank account for the funds.

This afternoon April 5th they call and e-mail me that my order has been cancelled. The funds were returned to my account.

Weird.

I think this is the first time we've heard of J&R doing something like that.

I even got one of my 515s from them when the website said "out of stock" but it turned out they still had one left.
post #19917 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Weird.

I think this is the first time we've heard of J&R doing something like that.

I even got one of my 515s from them when the website said "out of stock" but it turned out they still had one left.

I missed their phone call but they did leave a message. I tried to call them back but I was too late and they were shut down for the day. I want to find out what happened. Had they been on the ball, I might have opted for a 513 but according to a prior post, they are now out of those.

I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Thanks for your response.
post #19918 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:

That's a bummer. Hope that J&R will be able to do something for you.

I ordered a 513 from J&R on April 3rd and it was delivered today (April 5th).

As with other refurbs discussed previously in this thread, the unit I received appears to be just fine and has hardly been used. Here is what I found via the Skip Codes:
HDD power on hours: 3
DVD-WR: 0:00
DVD-RD: 0:01
CD: 0:00

The unit arrived in a factory box and included a sealed bag with the remote, A/V cables, and manual. Build date is July 2011. Firmware is 727H. Set-up went fine and everything I've tried works as expected.

I plan to upgrade to 727V in the next day or two.
post #19919 of 25743 Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveww48 View Post

That's a bummer. Hope that J&R will be able to do something for you.

I ordered a 513 from J&R on April 3rd and it was delivered today (April 5th).

As with other refurbs discussed previously in this thread, the unit I received appears to be just fine and has hardly been used. Here is what I found via the Skip Codes:
HDD power on hours: 3
DVD-WR: 0:00
DVD-RD: 0:01
CD: 0:00

The unit arrived in a factory box and included a sealed bag with the remote, A/V cables, and manual. Build date is July 2011. Firmware is 727H. Set-up went fine and everything I've tried works as expected.

I plan to upgrade to 727V in the next day or two.

Good for you and thanks.
post #19920 of 25743 Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:

I missed their phone call but they did leave a message. I tried to call them back but I was too late and they were shut down for the day. I want to find out what happened. Had they been on the ball, I might have opted for a 513 but according to a prior post, they are now out of those.

I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Thanks for your response.

See if they will put you on a call list so you will be first in line if they get more stock.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page