Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 665 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19921 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveww48 View Post

...I ordered a 513 from J&R on April 3rd and it was delivered today (April 5th).

The unit arrived in a factory box and included a sealed bag with the remote, A/V cables, and manual...

Retail boxes are red, "refurb" boxes are brown:
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19922 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALET75 View Post

I ordered a 515 on April 3rd from J&R, received a confirmation of my order by e-mail including shipping date, expected arrival date and tapped into my bank account for the funds.

This afternoon April 5th they call and e-mail me that my order has been cancelled. The funds were returned to my account.

How is that for customer service??

I know it is of no comfort to you, but that is very unusual. I have never heard of J&R doing that to anyone ever before this. It is unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Retail boxes are red, "refurb" boxes are brown:

Yeah, the bottom box in the picture looks exactly like mine. It came with a gray plastic cover over the box, but that IS the box I have. The unit was bubble-wrapped inside the box.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #19923 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
doswonk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: No Man's Land Bet. Des Moines & Iowa City
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALET75 View Post

I ordered a 515 on April 3rd from J&R, received a confirmation of my order by e-mail including shipping date, expected arrival date and tapped into my bank account for the funds.

This afternoon April 5th they call and e-mail me that my order has been cancelled. The funds were returned to my account.

How is that for customer service??

Actually.....pretty good. They discovered they didn't have what you ordered and promptly returned your money instead of stringing you along for weeks with "backorder" promises that never come to fruition.

I work for a direct marketing company (totally unrelated industry) - the warehouse is about 30 ft from my desk as I type this ON MY LUNCH HOUR (in case IT is snooping). But anyway, sometimes you're getting low on stock on something, and the picker goes to pull the last one off the warehouse shelf for an order.....only to discover it's damaged and the last guy in line gets disappointed. It happens. Not much comfort, I know. But there's a good chance more 513s and 515s will hit the pipeline one way or another.
doswonk1 is offline  
post #19924 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Newbie
 
torgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central TX
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALET75 View Post

I ordered a 515 on April 3rd from J&R, received a confirmation of my order by e-mail including shipping date, expected arrival date and tapped into my bank account for the funds.

This afternoon April 5th they call and e-mail me that my order has been cancelled. The funds were returned to my account.

How is that for customer service??

A similar thing happened to me. I ordered a 515 refurb on Jan. 25 from J&R and received an email order confirmation, but the confirmation didn't have shipping or expected arrival dates. My credit card was charged, however. I called the next day to get a shipping date and was told the order would have to be cancelled as they were sold out and wouldn't be getting any more in, ever. I was given a lame explanation that they must have sold out while my order was being placed. Right.

I have my own theory about what happened, and it isn't complimentary to their phone sales staff.

Knowing that these units come in periodically (in spite of what I was told by the sales guy), I checked back daily and was able to order one successfully on Feb. 24.

To be fair, I've always had good service from J&R except for the Jan. order, and I'll continue to do business with them. Better luck next time the 515's are in stock (and don't drag your feet getting your order in).
torgy is offline  
post #19925 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
doswonk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: No Man's Land Bet. Des Moines & Iowa City
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Or J&R just has poor synchronization between their inventory tracking system and their e-commerce system.....
doswonk1 is offline  
post #19926 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Member
 
tonypeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by torgy View Post

Knowing that these units come in periodically (in spite of what I was told by the sales guy), I checked back daily and was able to order one successfully on Feb. 24.

I've ordered 515 on Feb. 01 and received a week later. A couple days earlier they did not have any. One has to be vigilant.
tonypeter is offline  
post #19927 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Or J&R just has poor synchronization between their inventory tracking system and their e-commerce system.....

Actually, their web site information and inventory tracking is quite good, but nothing is perfect.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #19928 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Member
 
DALET75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to all who have responded concerning my J&R problem.

I wasn't really bashing them as much as I was disappointed, although I would think they could keep a better handle on their inventory and not accept orders for product that has sold out.

I did talk to customer service and that seems to be what happened. I asked if I could be put on a list for the next batch of 515's. They assured me that the 515's have been discontinued and there wouldn't be anymore. Then I asked if they had anymore 513's. I was told they didn't think so but they connected me to the sales department to be sure. The sales associate did find one 513 which he sold to me. So-- I at least have a 513 coming.

I already have a 515 but I wanted another one. Maybe like some of the rest of you, I'll find myself with more recorded programs than I will have time to watch.

Thanks again.
DALET75 is offline  
post #19929 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALET75 View Post

I already have a 515 but I wanted another one. Maybe like some of the rest of you, I'll find myself with more recorded programs than I will have time to watch.

Upgrade the 513 coming your way with SuperFW 727V and you won't know it's not a 515?
wajo is offline  
post #19930 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Member
 
DALET75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Upgrade the 513 coming your way with SuperFW 727V and you won't know it's not a 515?

Thanks wajo.

I already have the SuperFW 727V downloaded to my computer as well as the other FW versions that could be used in the 513 or my 515.

One question though - is it better to burn the file to CD or DVD? I don't seem to have a program to burn the file to DVD but do have a program that would burn it to CD.

Thanks again.
DALET75 is offline  
post #19931 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALET75 View Post

Thanks wajo.

I already have the SuperFW 727V downloaded to my computer as well as the other FW versions that could be used in the 513 or my 515.

One question though - is it better to burn the file to CD or DVD? I don't seem to have a program to burn the file to DVD but do have a program that would burn it to CD.

Many of us use CD, it just seems easier.
wajo is offline  
post #19932 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Member
 
puregenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my area 7.1 is ABC's digital channel. For some reason my 515 does not get an audio signal when tuned to it. It has no problem getting the audio from the analog side. My other Digital TVs get audio on the channel. What might be the cause.
puregenius is offline  
post #19933 of 25746 Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Newbie
 
snafubaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let's say i have a movie stored on HDD, and i wanna put a portion of that on DVD, can i do this, or does it have to involve the WHOLE movie? IF i can dub a partial title from hdd to dvd, how do i do it?
snafubaby is offline  
post #19934 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post

Let's say i have a movie stored on HDD, and i wanna put a portion of that on DVD, can i do this, or does it have to involve the WHOLE movie? IF i can dub a partial title from hdd to dvd, how do i do it?

Dubbing is for entire Titles only, but it's easy to EDIT the title on the hDD down to just the portion you want, then dub that to DVD. Use Divide and/or Scene Delete, as described here.

* * * * * * *
wajo is offline  
post #19935 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:16 AM
Senior Member
 
morc258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
morc258 is offline  
post #19936 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131


Walmart's 515 page changed from active to inactive a couple weeks ago, with a "We're Sorry..." message at top and out of stock.

It's back to fully active today with no out of stock message... until you get into the Cart, where it says "not available at this time."

However, it's interesting that the page appears fully active again?


wajo is offline  
post #19937 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 AM
Senior Member
 
morc258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post



Walmart's 515 page changed from active to inactive a couple weeks ago, with a "We're Sorry..." message at top and out of stock.

It's back to fully active today with no out of stock message... until you get into the Cart, where it says "not available at this time."

However, it's interesting that the page appears fully active again?



Umm... I am all the way at the end of checkout with site to store, and it is a go. I do not need it so I don't plan to buy it. Somebody else try it and see if you can get that far. Is it possible the only one in stock is in my cart?
morc258 is offline  
post #19938 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Umm... I am all the way at the end of checkout with site to store, and it is a go. I do not need it so I don't plan to buy it. Somebody else try it and see if you can get that far. Is it possible the only one in stock is in my cart?

Ummmm.... I got it into my cart also but there's a little red note at left that says "not available at this time" and it gives no shipping/pickup option radio buttons to select.

It also won't let me "Proceed to checkout" with the 515 in the Cart.

I think they're "playing" with the page for future use???
wajo is offline  
post #19939 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
 
morc258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here is the checkout:

Order SummaryReturn to cart
Store Pickup
Orlando Store Wal-Mart Supercenter #890
11250 E Colonial Dr, Orlando, FL 32817 Change
Pickup person: xxxxx xxxxxxxx
Item Arrives at store 4/16-4/20 QtyTotal
Magnavox MDR515H/F7 500GB HDD and DVD-R with Digital Tuner
1$299.88
Subtotal (1 item) $299.88
Tax $19.49
Order Total$319.37

wajo, you want me to release it from my cart and then you try to add it?
I would really like someone here on AVS that needs it to get it if it is the only one available.
morc258 is offline  
post #19940 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Here is the checkout:

Order SummaryReturn to cart
Store Pickup
Orlando Store Wal-Mart Supercenter #890
11250 E Colonial Dr, Orlando, FL 32817 Change
Pickup person: xxxxx xxxxxxxx
Item Arrives at store 4/16-4/20 QtyTotal
Magnavox MDR515H/F7 500GB HDD and DVD-R with Digital Tuner
1$299.88
Subtotal (1 item) $299.88
Tax $19.49
Order Total$319.37

wajo, you want me to release it from my cart and then you try to add it?
I would really like someone here on AVS that needs it to get it if it is the only one available.

Yes, Remove it and I'll try. They say they don't reserve unit in Cart, but we can play too.
wajo is offline  
post #19941 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
 
morc258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I will release it at exactly 9:00am eastern, if you are ready.
morc258 is offline  
post #19942 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

I will release it at exactly 9:00am eastern, if you are ready.

Hah, I tried 2 min. ago and got one all the way to checkin!

Anyone want a new 515 from WM?
wajo is offline  
post #19943 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
morc258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Hah, I tried 2 min. ago and got one all the way to checkin!

Anyone want a new 515 from WM?

Sweet! I know some people have been looking for a new one.
I'm glad it wasn't just an anomaly on my end.
morc258 is offline  
post #19944 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Hah, I tried 2 min. ago and got one all the way to checkin!

Anyone want a new 515 from WM?

I put one in my cart. But reading the description:

"•1-month, 36-even programming"

How odd.

It has been sold.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #19945 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Member
 
TBoneit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALET75 View Post

Thanks wajo.

I already have the SuperFW 727V downloaded to my computer as well as the other FW versions that could be used in the 513 or my 515.

One question though - is it better to burn the file to CD or DVD? I don't seem to have a program to burn the file to DVD but do have a program that would burn it to CD.

Thanks again.

Hi,
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImgBurn
That is all I use for burning CDs, DVDs and BluRays. Data or Movie or ISOs.
In fact this is the only disc burning software I have installed on my computers.

It is only a burning program. It does no conversions and that also makes it small and compact.

I use other programs to convert video and author DVD & BluRay movies.

Only thing to watch out is to uncheck the three (3) options connected to the ASK toolbar, Default search engine & Home page.

Good Luck
TBoneit is offline  
post #19946 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I put one in my cart. But reading the description:

"•1-month, 36-even programming"

How odd.

It has been sold.

My Cart still active and lets me proceed to checkout... Arrives Mon 4/16-Fri 4/20 (if I had proceeded).
wajo is offline  
post #19947 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

My Cart still active and lets me proceed to checkout... Arrives Mon 4/16-Fri 4/20 (if I had proceeded).

Maybe we are making the Walmart computer unhappy and it's playing with us.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #19948 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
stapler1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

My Cart still active and lets me proceed to checkout... Arrives Mon 4/16-Fri 4/20 (if I had proceeded).

Can also enter quantity 1 and proceed to checkhout, HOWEVER, they are apparently "rationing" both 513 or 515 to one-per-person, as the QTY can't be changed on either site. Also, if you attempt to change the QTY during checkout, the following message appears:
We've changed your requested quantity to what is available for purchase now. If you need more, click here.
Clicking, brings up an Inventory Limitations message:
"If an item has limited availability, you will not be able to order quantities greater than our available supply........"


Appears the boat from China has finally arrived.


stapler1234 is offline  
post #19949 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Member
 
DALET75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post

Hi,
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImgBurn
That is all I use for burning CDs, DVDs and BluRays. Data or Movie or ISOs.
In fact this is the only disc burning software I have installed on my computers.

It is only a burning program. It does no conversions and that also makes it small and compact.

I use other programs to convert video and author DVD & BluRay movies.

Only thing to watch out is to uncheck the three (3) options connected to the ASK toolbar, Default search engine & Home page.

Good Luck

Thanks for your post.
I thought that the program I have would at least burn a CD but such does not seem to be the case, at least without an expensive upgrade. So, I will give your burning program a try.

Thanks again.
DALET75 is offline  
post #19950 of 25746 Old 04-07-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: my computer (or tablet)
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone used one of the converters (component or HDMI to composite) units Wajo mentioned around June of last year? The ones sold by Monoprice?

Are they still acting as "filters" as well as video converters? Also, if the picture coming thru them is in real widescreen (not letterbox), am I right in understanding they'll leave the picture UN-letterboxed even in the composite (or S-video) feed?

Tonight USA Network will be running a digitally restored version of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD in widescreen. (I only have a 4x3 version recorded from another channel.)

I'm getting it on the cable DVR for now, but to offload it I'll need something that'll leave the picture un-letterboxed. (At least, that's the format I want it in. I found new software that will allow a DVD's .vob file of a widescreen broadcast to be made anamorphic with no quality loss, and want to have a widescreen recording to work with.)

If I try to feed it into one of my 515s, the feed from the cable box will create a letterboxed 4x3 picture. I haven't found a way to stop it, even when I set the cable box for a 16x9 TV.

Most likely I'll be looking to use the component feed off the cable box to feed the filter, so if anyone has used one of those, especially one bought recently...
gastrof is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off