Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 676 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20251 of 25918 Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm not familiar with the 8300, but if it's like every cable box I've used, connecting the HDMI cable from the cable box to anything disables all other video output(s) from the cable box. This sounds like the root of your frustration.

I am not doing this. I'm going to connect the HDMI out from the 513 to my television. The connection from the 8300 to my 513 will be S video and RCA cables for audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20252 of 25918 Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Man View Post

I am not doing this. I'm going to connect the HDMI out from the 513 to my television. The connection from the 8300 to my 513 will be S video and RCA cables for audio.

So you feed the STB S-Video & RW to the L1 input (select S-Video in setup). One HDMI from the STB feeds the TV. The 513H HDMI feeds another HDMI TV input. What you view on the TV from the 513H can be recorded to the HDD. The output of the STB can verify that. You will need no rf to the 513H.

The TV, of course, needs two HDMI inputs. And the output of the STB via the 513H will probably be in letterbox. Good luck with that.
post #20253 of 25918 Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I positively do not want to have anything to do with any co-ax connections. I have a Scientific-Atlanta 8300 and a Magnavox 513 model. I just want to record off of the hard drive on the 8300 to the hard drive on the 513 and and then do my edit\\Burns. I know the HDMI out cable to the TV from the 513, the S video cable from the 8300 to the 513 along with RCA cables for audio, and RCA cables for audio from the 513 to my receiver. Past that, I can't figure out the rest of the cabling. I can't figure out how I'm going to see what it is on my 8300 that I am transferring to the 513. If I just select the TV program as though I were going to watch it on my TV and then press record on my 513, will the hard drive capture what I'm watching? Also, in order to eliminate the black bars at the top and bottom do I need to have some sort of converter for the component outputs on the 8300 to the S video input on the 513?

You seem to have a handle on the connections, just make sure to select S-Video in" in the Video > Video Input menu.

Here's some info on the STB/DVR recording/copying process with your SA8300:

1. 3 Subjects: Recording from STB, Tips, Copying from DVR.

2. Info on aspect ratio, followed by some converters available if your SA8300 is the model listed that does not send 16:9 via composite/S-Vid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #20254 of 25918 Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

On 4-22 I posted that my 515 would not allow any disc to load as I just get the following error "...everytime I load... a blank DVD it took forever (~3 minutes) to load and then a big blue and red box came up saying: "DISC ERROR" - - Please eject the disc. - - Playback feature may not be available on this disc." So I tried a commercial DVD movie and got the same error message..."

Wajo suggested that I do the Self-Check Skip 079 Test to see if there was a loose cable, so I did and everything was "OK" with a HDD On time of 172 hours. Just to play it safe I opened her up and checked all cable connections anyway by disconnecting then reconnecting and reran Skip 079 again. Still OK. Tried to load a commercial DVD and Bummer same problem!

Checked the stats with SKIP Codes on it with these results:
DVD-WR 1:44
DVD - RD 15:09
Time (CD) 1:50
Model Name: E2S02UD
DTY-S Cersion: 0x2B
FE Version: R60_001_000
BE Version: HD6A269724V1E
TT Version: T5011RDU@5
LD ADjustment: OK
Disc Adjustment: OK

Then I did a Hard Reset from the SKIP screen and tried again. Nope still no workie. Not with a Commercial DVD, a Blank DVD or a CD. Anything else to try or am I SOL and it's time to get a new burner? If so it stinks since there is only about 20 hours on the laser. Guess I'm clinging at straws here but anything else to try??? Thanks
post #20255 of 25918 Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2E2C View Post

... I did a Hard Reset from the SKIP screen and tried again. Nope still no workie. Not with a Commercial DVD, a Blank DVD or a CD. Anything else to try or am I SOL and it's time to get a new burner? If so it stinks since there is only about 20 hours on the laser. Guess I'm clinging at straws here but anything else to try???

Time to try a FW Update to SuperFW 727V, as described here.

|
|
|
post #20256 of 25918 Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

On 4-22 I posted that my 515 would not allow any disc to load as I just get the following error "...everytime I load... a blank DVD it took forever (~3 minutes) to load and then a big blue and red box came up saying: "DISC ERROR" - - Please eject the disc. - - Playback feature may not be available on this disc." So I tried a commercial DVD movie and got the same error message..."

Wajo suggested that I do the Self-Check Skip 079 Test to see if there was a loose cable, so I did and everything was "OK" with a HDD On time of 172 hours. Just to play it safe I opened her up and checked all cable connections anyway by disconnecting then reconnecting and reran Skip 079 again. Still OK. Tried to load a commercial DVD and Bummer same problem!

Checked the stats with SKIP Codes on it with these results:
DVD-WR 1:44
DVD - RD 15:09
Time (CD) 1:50
Model Name: E2S02UD
DTY-S Cersion: 0x2B
FE Version: R60_001_000
BE Version: HD6A269724V1E
TT Version: T5011RDU@5
LD ADjustment: OK
Disc Adjustment: OK

Then I did a Hard Reset from the SKIP screen and tried again. Nope still no workie. Not with a Commercial DVD, a Blank DVD or a CD. Anything else to try or am I SOL and it's time to get a new burner? If so it stinks since there is only about 20 hours on the laser. Guess I'm clinging at straws here but anything else to try??? Thanks

did you clean the laser ? ( with a moistened swab )

did you confirm ( with cover off ) that the DVD was spinning up properly ?

are you like most of us finatics who have more than one of these things ?? if so, a possible swap out of the burner assembly might be a good test to do.

rgds,
ron g
post #20257 of 25918 Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Liked: 11
Straight from the Funai service center in Van Eyes California...yeah I know it's not how you spell Van Nuys, but what the hey. Refurb date is 04/05/2012....25 days ago, pretty snappy if you ask um me. I'll plug it in tomorrow-way too tired tonight, but it's in new condition and came in a brown Funai Refurb Box. Nice deal at $186......me happy, me Mickboy signing out to hit the bed for another night of dreaming bliss.....
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #20258 of 25918 Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

I'm not familiar with the 8300, but if it's like every cable box I've used, connecting the HDMI cable from the cable box to anything disables all other video output(s) from the cable box...

My FiOS box is connected by HDMI to a High Def TV, and both the composite and S-Video outputs still work nicely. (If memory serves, so did the component outputs, tho' I've had to use the TV's component inputs for my DVD player.)

I can feed a standard def video signal into my refurb 515 just fine, and it records as well as you'd expect, all the while the TV getting the same picture over HDMI.
post #20259 of 25918 Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

...I'm going to connect the HDMI out from the 513 to my television. The connection from the 8300 to my 513 will be S video and RCA cables for audio.

Make sure to go into the 513s menu pages and tell it to use S-Video on whichever input set you use (L1 or L2). I may be wrong, but if memory serves its default setting is "composite" and you'll get nothing over S-Video without changing the menu setting.
post #20260 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 AM

Hi, I recently got the Magnavox 513 I am a little confused about one thing.
I have a tv show on my HDD that I want to transfer to DVD(HDD>DVD)
but I want to edit out the commercials. I can't seem to find an option that lets me do this.I was hoping I could play a show off the HDD in like real time and then record it to DVD and pause when the commercials come up.Is there anyway to edit out parts of a show on the HDD?
The only dubbing options I have tried just start recording the whole show and I can't make any edits or pause.

Before I got the Mvox 513 I was using a sony dvd recorder and using RW dvds to record TV programs and then when I wanted to save/edit one I would plug a sony dvd player through Line in into the dvd recorder and play the RW dvd with the show and then hit record and pause on the dvd recorder.

Thanks for the help
post #20261 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

3. A SKIP 987 Manufacturer's Process Adjustment, for which you'll need both a -R and a +R disc, as described here.
Quote:

I wonder if this process would clear up my V515's pickiness with RW discs?

Staples had its own DVD+R brand $5 for 15, so I bought them to try the skip 987 process. It didn't help. Sony DVD+RW discs that generate "Can not record on this disc. E 3 54043e02" on my 515 work fine on my V2160A & V513 Mags. The 515 has no problem playing those very same discs recorded on the others either.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #20262 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepeluso View Post

Hi, I recently got the Magnavox 513 I am a little confused about one thing.
I have a tv show on my HDD that I want to transfer to DVD(HDD>DVD)
but I want to edit out the commercials. I can't seem to find an option that lets me do this.

1-Set to HDD mode.
2-Press title button.
3-Press OK on the title you want to remove commercials from.
4-Select 3rd item down: "Edit".
5-Select 1st item: "Scene Delete".
When done, do the dub to DVD.

post #20263 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 AM

So after looking further you can edit a show by going to title list on HDD and select the title and then use scene delete to edit the program.
I am pretty sure I got this figured out now.
I keep using the dub methods first and thinking how do I edit, I should have just went to the title to edit it first.
Thanks for the help guys
post #20264 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 AM

Thanks mrmazda
post #20265 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepeluso View Post

So after looking further you can edit a show by going to title list on HDD and select the title and then use scene delete to edit the program.
I am pretty sure I got this figured out now.
I keep using the dub methods first and thinking how do I edit, I should have just went to the title to edit it first.
Thanks for the help guys

For complete edit instructions, see this help file.

|
|
|
post #20266 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

did you clean the laser ? ( with a moistened swab )

did you confirm ( with cover off ) that the DVD was spinning up properly ?

are you like most of us finatics who have more than one of these things ?? if so, a possible swap out of the burner assembly might be a good test to do.

rgds,
ron g

Ron,
Yes I cleaned both the Laser and Spindle. I'll see if it is spinning up. It sounds like it is but I'll check. Probably not able to do do until the weekend though. Unfortunately I only have the one unit.

Wajo,
Um ok I'll try that. Not sure how it will work if the things not reading discs but you are the Master on these things Thanks
post #20267 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Wajo,
Um ok I'll try that. Not sure how it will work if the things not reading discs but you are the Master on these things Thanks

I'm hoping that, since the FW disc will be a "Data Disc," the machine will be able to read it. If not, then something is definitely wrong in the electromechanics.

Make sure you read Funai's downloadable instructions and start with SKIP 654 so the machine knows what's coming.

A help file on SKIP 654 is here if needed. ("SKIP" code instructions are at top of that page.)

|
|
|
post #20268 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Seriously, they already have the 515 price up to $330. Are you ready to pay well north of $600 for a funai BD recorder (1Eu = 1.32USD).

I would pay an extra hundred bucks for an HD tuner and a transcoding chip to convert MPEG2 to MPEG4 when burning to DVD. Preferably in a format that would play in my BD players.

I still time shift with my units, but if there is something special, I end up recording it with my computer which is much less handy.
post #20269 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

I would pay an extra hundred bucks for an HD tuner and a transcoding chip to convert MPEG2 to MPEG4 when burning to DVD. Preferably in a format that would play in my BD players.

I still time shift with my units, but if there is something special, I end up recording it with my computer which is much less handy.

$100 = Not enough. They would be selling north of $600 if they were available here. For $100 you can buy a nice dual tuner Silicon Dust HD Homerun and use your PC to record/edit/burn HD/5.1, or down-convert to SD and burn to DVD-Video. Works great for me. We talk about it starting here, but the posts are scattered among other cross talk so you have to scan the thread.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20270 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Liked: 14
one more long shot to try, here...

remove the 2 flat ribbons connecting from the dvd burner to the main pcb.

carefully clean the contact ends with a bit of alcohol. just might be possible that even though the ribbons were seated, 1 or more contacts may not be making it, or making it either intermittently or resistively due to accumulated dirt or oil.

other possible problems might include insufficient spindle motor power to get the thing sped up enough ( of course, without tech savvy and test equipment, this would be hard to diagnose and/or repair )... orrrrr, insufficient or no power to the laser... ( again, difficult to diagnose and repair )... something as simple as a cold solder joint on one of the connecting sockets could be a culprit...

i think you said it was out of warranty, so you might end up needing the burner/main pcb set for 68 bucks...
post #20271 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

20 more refurb 513's at WW Distributors, $199.95.

See shipping and return notes on WW Distributors on pg. 1.

|
|
|
post #20272 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Just spitballing here: Have you tried the manual channel delete, deleting your channels one by one?

Have you tried leaving the 515 unplugged overnight or 48 hours, just to be sure?

Hi, just follwing up once again on this issue.

I kept your suggestions in mind, and over the week-end went ahead and tried.

I ended up not being able to do a manual delete because the channels were not there to delete (after the auto-channel setup with coax unplugged, no channels were present).

So, anyway now I have a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp on the way.
post #20273 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxheaven View Post

I have a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp on the way.

How far away are the nearest and farthest desired transmitters from your location? What antenna model do you have? A 7777 with a smaller antenna likely won't do as well as the 7778 did with a larger antenna, but distance is important in determining what to expect from a preamp, as is whether the farthest transmitters are all in the same general direction.

post #20274 of 25918 Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 PM

You Beat me to it again Wajo!!!
Man!!!!!
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #20275 of 25918 Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

How far away are the nearest and farthest desired transmitters from your location? What antenna model do you have? A 7777 with a smaller antenna likely won't do as well as the 7778 did with a larger antenna, but distance is important in determining what to expect from a preamp, as is whether the farthest transmitters are all in the same general direction.

All the other equipment remains unchanged. So, it's a CM4228HD about 20 feet above roof level.

The closest transmitter is about 2 miles away, then I have others about 5 miles away, and the next ones are about 70 miles away (and these are the transmitters I'm aiming at with the roof-mounted 4228HD). So I'm not aiming directly at the much closer, local transmitters. I have about 75 feet cable run, all RG6. I feed 4 devices.
post #20276 of 25918 Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxheaven View Post

it's a CM4228HD about 20 feet above roof level. The closest transmitter is about 2 miles away, then I have others about 5 miles away, and the next ones are about 70 miles away (and these are the transmitters I'm aiming at with the roof-mounted 4228HD). So I'm not aiming directly at the much closer, local transmitters. I have about 75 feet cable run, all RG6. I feed 4 devices.

How high is the roof, and nearby roofs and trees? At less than 50' off the ground I wouldn't expect a 60 mile antenna to do very well for 70 mile stations even with the 7777, unless maybe there's simply nothing else anywhere within a few hundred yards at whatever height 20' above roof means. Are any of those 70 mile stations VHF? If so, you're in trouble with that antenna model. Most fringe antennas have better gain on VHF than UHF, 60 or more miles, at least 10 more miles VHF than UHF, like the HD7698P I use with a 7777 at only 53 miles away but 50' above ground, and not infrequently looses CH 7 completely.

post #20277 of 25918 Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

In reference to this post,

Rec Mode Res (SAR) AvgMbps Avg GB/hr
2-hr-SP 720x480 5.49 2.47
2½-hr-SPP 352x480 4.39 1.98

So, with SPP, you have a 50% reduction in resolution with only a 20% reduction in bitrate compared to SP, so theoretically, SPP mode shouldn't be as bitstarved as SP mode when dealing with fast motion, thus reducing motion blur and pixelation, amirite?
post #20278 of 25918 Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

In reference to this post,

Rec Mode Res (SAR) AvgMbps Avg GB/hr
2-hr-SP 720x480 5.49 2.47
2½-hr-SPP 352x480 4.39 1.98

So, with SPP, you have a 50% reduction in resolution with only a 20% reduction in bitrate compared to SP, so theoretically, SPP mode shouldn't be as bitstarved as SP mode when dealing with fast motion, thus reducing motion blur and pixelation, amirite?

In theory but it's best to try both and see what you prefer. Personally I don't care for 1/2 D1 on my HDTV(looks too fuzzy) but again it's best to try both. Personally I'd rather put up with a little macroblocking before sacrificing resolution, again personal choice
post #20279 of 25918 Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Ok, as promised the new refurb 513 I just got this week has the following info for Skip 123:
Model: E2S00UD
DTV-S: 0x2B
FE: R60_001_000
BE: HD6A26972AH1E
TT: T5011RDU@5
ooeoa900 001cfafa
HDD ON HOURS: 2
CD: 0
DVD WR: 0
DVD R: 0
NEW!
Works perfectly with no issues.
A happy camper on #7 @ $186 out the door!
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #20280 of 25918 Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 AM

Liked: 12
mickboy,could you check the build date on your unit? not the refurb date but the actual build date of the machine.I'm still looking for a 513 or 515 that was built in the last quarter of 2011.Thanks.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page