Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 688 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #20611 of 25743 Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I would think DTS would pass thru the coax, just not thru an internal path and line output?

You could test it thru a line output w/no recording involved to be sure?

It sounds like you are saying there is a source of DTS content via an rf signal. I guess FiOS or Satellite could have it, but OTA or cable? But then again, I couldn't test it. Interesting thought though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20612 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
confused.gif no way to tell if someone has posted to this thread now:rolleyes: and the newest posted sticky isn't even at the top:eek: progress......frown.gif
.....and it takes two clicks to get to the last page of this thread mad.gif
post #20613 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The notification E-Mail looked like spam. I almost deleted it.
Sometimes change for the sake of change is NOT a good thing. rolleyes.gif
I guess time will tell.
post #20614 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Sometimes change for the sake of change is NOT a good thing.
Change for the sake of change is usually not a good thing. Here, the visible changes I've noticed are mostly negative.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #20615 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

Change for the sake of change is usually not a good thing. Here, the visible changes I've noticed are mostly negative.
Agreed.

Lots of times a change like this is viewed negatively because of the "getting used to" factor, but then once you become familiar with the new interface, the change ends up being an improvement. In this case, it appears that useful functionality has been removed.
post #20616 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

confused.gif no way to tell if someone has posted to this thread now:rolleyes: and the newest posted sticky isn't even at the top:eek: progress......frown.gif

You'll have to go to "subscriptions", then bring up the last post. After that is read, new posts will show as a count. Basically they have set each post in all our subscribed threads as "unread".
post #20617 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

Lots of times a change like this is viewed negatively because of the "getting used to" factor, but then once you become familiar with the new interface, the change ends up being an improvement. In this case, it appears that useful functionality has been removed.
I come here for the content, not the window dressing. I hate it when they change things because someone thinks putting on a new coat of paint will make it more attractive to new users. It's the main reason I loath to upgrade any Microsoft software.
  • The new limited color schemes suck. The blue retro background of the previous interface was very easy on my eyes. The new white or black backgrounds are opposite extremes and are just too harsh.
  • The so-called "sticky list" is now all but useless and should just be eliminated. The threads are listed alphabetically with no usage information so one cannot tell if it is an active or dead sticky or has been recently posted to. The actual sticky threads themselves now appear in the gen pop thread list so what is the point of a sticky list that does nothing more than take up screen space at the top. Get rid of it.
  • The ability to cite single-post links is gone and they eliminated the undo button on the editor -- what kind of editor doesn't have an undo button.
  • I hate the new post dates. I can see where some people would like to see it displayed as "10 min ago" or "2 weeks, 3 days ago" but I prefer to see a date/time. Yes, you can put the cursor over it to pop up the date/time -- so let me set that as a preference.
As you say it will take getting used to.
dare2be likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20618 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 11
... and the time stamp on the post is more descriptive now.

av-n
post #20619 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Was there any advanced notice that AVS was updating the look?

This reminds me of the GMAIL update from Google - the contrast was so bad I could barely read the email text. I switched to the old version as long as I could before they dumped it and I even wrote Gmail saying I did not like the upgrade and got nothing back from them.

I hope AVS is more responsive.

Hey I might be off topic but I am not big on surprises.
post #20620 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

Was there any advanced notice that AVS was updating the look?
This reminds me of the GMAIL update from Google - the contrast was so bad I could barely read the email text. I switched to the old version as long as I could before they dumped it and I even wrote Gmail saying I did not like the upgrade and got nothing back from them.
I felt the same way as you about Gmail and did the exact same thing you did. No response either.
post #20621 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I admittedly don't like change, but I really don't like this mad.gif

I'm sure I'll get used to it? rolleyes.gif
post #20622 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
"Please Wait...", like I have any choice? frown.gif

A sprite to access the whole smiley list, really? eek.gif

Gray text? mad.gif

This was one of those rare sites I frequent that didn't require a user stylesheet specific to the site to undo any stupid site styling.

Heaven help anyone who needs to use this site on a dialup connection. The previous 3 (full) pages (685, 686, 687) average over 260kbytes, not counting any images, external scripts, or CSS. Page 1 is over 920kbytes. The forum's home page is 100kbytes.This page is currently 180kbytes. The three Wajo help file pages I had already loaded in tabs prior to the site redo and still load from cache saved as only 85k, 47k and 72k.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #20623 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK now I see what's going on(but still don't like it). The sticky doesn't show the last post from the sticky thread list but if it's been recently posted to it will show up on the first page of the DVDR search results list with the rest of the threads. Still prefer it to be right next to the sticky and the most recently posted sticky to be the top of the list:)
Still don't like it that from the sticky list that you cannot go to the last page of the sticky, basically requires 2 entries now.
Oh and about the emoticons(or smiles) I also complained about the MORE option after I found out we really won't have any MORE(than we had before) and the limited number we had could easily fit on the REPLY screen without having a extra step to get at the few extra we have, but was told the software we are using is also used by forums that may have more smiles and that's the way it is. Lastly about the smiles:eek: if you are like me and forgo a space after your word(before the smile) you'll only get the code not the smile. Progress eh rolleyes.gif
I also don't like the default or BLACK settings(I was one of the "oddballs" that used RETRO) apparently very very few people used that theme, figures I'd be one tongue.gif

Oh and don't get me started on EDITing mad.gif at some point we will lose the ability to edit posts more than a few minutes old....apparently some people confused.gif (I've never seen this at AVS on the MANY threads that I visit) have been deleting(or editing) their posts after people have commented on them leading to some confusion......if this takes place say goodbye to things like Wajo's updated sticky post or even small updated threads like my Panasonic Models signature thread. Updating the OP will not be possible and therefor useless to maintain a changing informational thread like these frown.gif
post #20624 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

OK now I see what's going on(but still don't like it). The sticky doesn't show the last post from the sticky thread list but if it's been recently posted to it will show up on the first page of the DVDR search results list with the rest of the threads. Still prefer it to be right next to the sticky and the most recently posted sticky to be the top of the list:)

Yes, and you see that makes the sticky list nothing more than a shortcut list to those threads. It's just not a very useful construct any more.

Are you having problems with your screen width? My thread list doesn't go across the screen and stops at the border of that "currently viewing" info block at the upper right.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20625 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Are you having problems with your screen width? My thread list doesn't go across the screen and stops at the border of that "currently viewing" info block at the upper right.
I am not but it was a common complaint in the "sandbox" forum (beta site for this new forum) which seems to be gone and replaced by this forum.
post #20626 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

Yes, and you see that makes the sticky list nothing more than a shortcut list to those threads. It's just not a very useful construct any more.

Did you read that 'Intro' post by 'Nick'? There's a setting in your profile with the words "Constant Width" - whatever you have now, toggle it.

Not being able to edit FAQs that we've been maintaining for years is going to bother a number of folks. frown.gif

Looks like jjeff is going to have to remember / learn to use extra spaces! biggrin.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #20627 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

Looks like jjeff is going to have to remember / learn to use extra spaces! biggrin.gif
Ya that shouldn't be a problem, the only reason I didn't do it in that post was to show people what I was talking about. It was probably a shortcut I was doing before along with a couple other shortcuts that are now gone in our improved wink.gif forum...
BTW as to not plug up this sticky thread with non Magnavox talk I'll probably try and refrain from such further talk smile.gif

mad.gifmad.gif unless I'm missing it, it looks like one cannot easily omit a signature thread for posts rolleyes.gif something I did all the time before when posting in non Panasonic type of thread, another feature lost frown.gif

Looks like the default thread in our forum for "new forum" comments is going on here.
mad.gif apparently no way anymore to give a reason for edits.......another feature lost rolleyes.gif this is getting ridiculous!
post #20628 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Is Wajo on Vacation ?
post #20629 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm personally not all that displeased with the new setup.

If I was, I might do something outlandish with my avatar, or something.
post #20630 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed our Avatars were all very similar smile.gif
post #20631 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

I just noticed I HAVE an avatar. lol

I think I'm beginning to miss the good ol days of Usenet. tongue.gif
post #20632 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess Wajo has nothing new to say ?
post #20633 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

I guess Wajo has nothing new to say ?
My guess is he's pissed as the rest of us but trying to ignore it . These new changes are NOT conducive to informational threads like his frown.gif
Well I guess we gained something......kinda like the miniscule size option biggrin.gif
post #20634 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm worried for him. eek.gif
post #20635 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I do like the maintenance page TV pic. It looks like the old Zenith I sat in front of each Saturday morning until my mother ran the Vacumn Cleaner in front of it till I felt I had to clean my room. "VHF only smile.gif"
post #20636 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I'm worried for him. eek.gif

I checked his opening posts in the thread back on page one, and it looks like things survived the transition pretty well.
post #20637 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
biggrin.gif

In case anyone cares, I'm furiously fixing things the transition has wrought.

The page for editing source code now shows the pages have been converted to HTML code/tags/syntax, and our old TABLE format didn't convert well to the new syntax.

It's a major PITA!

biggrin.gif
post #20638 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if it's YOU that's making the old posts look right in this new setup, I think two things.

First, great job, to be on your toes like this.

Second, it STINKS that it's even necessary for you to do such changes in the first place. An update that ruins existing threads and posts?
post #20639 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Animated gifs used as avatars do not animate. This technology has existed since the '80s. mad.gif My Kraftwerk Roboter should move like this:

robot.gif

or this:
roboter.gif
post #20640 of 25743 Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

biggrin.gif
In case anyone cares, I'm furiously fixing things the transition has wrought.
The page for editing source code now shows the pages have been converted to HTML code/tags/syntax, and our old TABLE format didn't convert well to the new syntax.
It's a major PITA!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif Yup, what a PITA. Thanks for the effort, wajo. Looks like it's going to take you a few days eek.gif
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page