Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 26056 Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
CabanaBoy, congrats on your choice!

As I understand your system, see if this makes sense:

1. Connect incoming RF/coax to the ANT input on the 3575, then RF/coax from the 3575 ANT output to your cable box RF input, then coax out to TV. This lets you watch box/TV normally, w/o needing the 3575.

2. Connect HDMI + L/R audio cable from 3575 to DVI adapter and into your TV (Input "X" whatever name it has). This lets you watch internal 3575 stuff (menus, tuner, HDD, DVD) by selecting TV Input "X".

3. Connect Composite or S-Video+L/R audio from output of box to AV IN (E1) on back of 3575. This is for rec cable channels the 3575 can't tune by selecting E1 with the Source button, top left on remote.

4. Scan for channels on the 3575 using the "Analog/Digital" option. With some channels scanned in on the 3575, you should now be able to watch something on your box/TV as usual, plus record a channel on the 3575 independently. (You don't rtecord anything FROM the TV, as I think you suggested.)

5. For copying tapes, connect the VCR to the front inputs on the 3575 (E2 with the Source button). I use these and connect cables only when transferring tapes or camera stuff.

6. DVD player? Can hook to TV and play independently to a different TV input?

Does this make sense, so far?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 26056 Old 12-30-2007, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

1. Connect incoming RF/coax to the ANT input on the 3575, then RF/coax from the 3575 ANT output to your cable box RF input, then coax out to TV. This lets you watch box/TV normally, w/o needing the 3575.

2. Connect HDMI + L/R audio cable from 3575 to DVI adapter and into your TV (Input "X" whatever name it has). This lets you watch internal 3575 stuff (menus, tuner, HDD, DVD) by selecting TV Input "X".

3. Connect Composite or S-Video+L/R audio from output of box to AV IN (E1) on back of 3575. This is for rec cable channels the 3575 can't tune by selecting E1 with the Source button, top left on remote.

4. Scan for channels on the 3575 using the "Analog/Digital" option. With some channels scanned in on the 3575, you should now be able to watch something on your box/TV as usual, plus record a channel on the 3575 independently. (You don't rtecord anything FROM the TV, as I think you suggested.)

5. For copying tapes, connect the VCR to the front inputs on the 3575 (E2 with the Source button). I use these and connect cables only when transferring tapes or camera stuff.

Thanks for your prompt response wabjxo. Yes, this makes perfect sense to me. However, I'm going to leave the VCR hooked up as it is now as well as the DVD player. So that means the connection I'll make is from the HDMI to the DVI on the TV, audio into the TV and the OUT of the Recorder, and composite plus audio from the box to the IN (E1) of the recorder. Im going to try it tomorrow and let you know if it works.
post #183 of 26056 Old 12-30-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwatson77459 View Post

With the risk of your 3575 at hand, I would not try putting it in the path from the LNB to the sat box. From your description, you have the best quality hookup already with the S-Video going to the 3575 .

Yes, I left as is w/ the s video from the sat box out into the 3575. I already have the dvr in the sat box as well, so all is good. I like the 3575, recorded all my mini dv tapes to dvd over the holidays via the front i.link 4 pin jack in front - I like the way the dvds turned out- better than I was expecting. Now I have all my home videos on dvd, which is pretty awesome as we have not watched some of them for years due to the hastle of hooking up the camcorder to watch them.

I bought mine at walmart, but just saw that their price online went up about $30. Great info on this tread that helped me as well.
post #184 of 26056 Old 12-31-2007, 11:55 AM

Hello everyone. I just purchased one of these, as a Christmas present to myself , to replace a DVD player which also had an OTA ATSC tuner. After replacing the DVD/tuner I noticed that the OTA tuner on the Philips doesn't seem to support dolby out. Does anyone know if this is really the case? I was under the impresson that the ATSC standard used the Dolby Digital AC-3 format to provide 5.1 channel sound.

I'm using the optical output from the Philips into my receiver (the same connection as the player being replaced) but when receiving OTA digital broadcasts the receiver never sees a dolby signal and only gives me stereo output. The player that was replaced would always give me full DD 5.1 from the OTA tuner. I don't believe that it's a problem with the receiver setup because I do get full DD 5.1 when I play a DVD but I don't see any menu options to specify the audio output for the OTA tuner. Any ideas?
post #185 of 26056 Old 12-31-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendjr View Post

Hello everyone. I just purchased one of these, as a Christmas present to myself , to replace a DVD player which also had an OTA ATSC tuner. After replacing the DVD/tuner I noticed that the OTA tuner on the Philips doesn't seem to support dolby out. Does anyone know if this is really the case? I was under the impresson that the ATSC standard used the Dolby Digital AC-3 format to provide 5.1 channel sound.

I'm using the optical output from the Philips into my receiver (the same connection as the player being replaced) but when receiving OTA digital broadcasts the receiver never sees a dolby signal and only gives me stereo output. The player that was replaced would always give me full DD 5.1 from the OTA tuner. I don't believe that it's a problem with the tuner setup because I do get full DD 5.1 when I play a DVD but I don't see any menu options to specify the audio output for the OTA tuner. Any ideas?

That's the diff. between a player and recorder. The recorder has to abide by the DVD-Video/MPEG-2 stds which specifiy nothing better than DD2.0 recording ability, which also limits what can go thru the tuner.

The powers that be don't want you to make a HD copy in any sense, video or audio.

The 3575 PLAYS DD5.1 tho, and it's awesome when playing a commercial DVD with HDMI. Your home-made DVDs will only have DD2.0 however.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #186 of 26056 Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply wabjxo, that makes perfect sense. It's too bad they can't somehow pass through the DD signal and just disable it in the recording software but I guess disabling it at the tuner is probably easier. Guess I won't be watching any OTA programming in DD anymore
post #187 of 26056 Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

The recorder has to abide by the DVD-Video/MPEG-2 stds which specifiy nothing better than DD2.0 recording ability, which also limits what can go thru the tuner.

Have you seen a licensing restriction published somewhere that specifies that DVD recorders aren't allowed to record a digital soundtrack?
post #188 of 26056 Old 12-31-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Does anyone know how to display the real(not virtual) channel number of a specific digital channel, on the 3575?
I noticed that occasionally(but cant get it regularly) if, when in the Manual channel preset menu, I will get a display like this:

DTV 41 (CH40)

what this means is, virtual channel 41(and all it's .1, .2 etc.) is real channel 40. (at least in my market). The problem is most of the time I get:

DTV 41 (CH---)

How do I get the DVDR to regularly display the real channel number, instead of just the ---'s?
I've tried lots of things, but cant seem to force it to show the real channel number. If it wants to show it, it will, but otherwise not.

The whole reason I want to know the real channel number is, it seems a person can add the real channel number to the 3575 and it will take, but if I try to add the virtual channel number, it will not. I have to do a channel scan. I would like to write down all the real channel numbers for my area, so if I lose a virtual channel, I can add it back, without having to do a complete rescan.
Anyone got a idea on the ---
post #189 of 26056 Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I would like to write down all the real channel numbers for my area, so if I lose a virtual channel, I can add it back, without having to do a complete rescan.

http://www.hdtvtwincities.com/mainframe.php/channels.
post #190 of 26056 Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ram, That link was on my hometown forum and everything. How did you know about it? Does every major marked have a equivalent to HDTVTWINCITIES.com? I appreciate it. I guess I still would like to know the trick for getting the 3575 to display it, since sometimes it does, but for now the chart will certainly work. Thanks again I love this forum.
post #191 of 26056 Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I have had several DVD recorders, Philips, and none of them had the copy protection hardware the newer recorders have. Is it possible to copy HBO to a DVD on any recorders? I always fall behind on my viewing and use the DVD's during the slow times (e.g. summer show recycles).
post #192 of 26056 Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't have HBO or other premium services, but from reports here it seems some service providers put no copy restrictions on anything but PPV, while others do. I think it's specific to your service provider?

If programs do have copy protection, however, most or all of the current DVDRs will honor that protection.

post #193 of 26056 Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastimac View Post

Is it possible to copy HBO to a DVD on any recorders?

If you do have a problem you can always use one of these:

http://www.world-import.com/dp-5000_...stabilizer.htm.
post #194 of 26056 Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

"I guess I still would like to know the trick for getting the 3575 to display it," The Real channel number.

Did I stump everybody on this one? According to the manual, on page 29, when a person is in the "manual channel preset" screen, "The channel number displayed in the parenthesis is the virtual channel number" Actually I think that's a typo, The channel in the parenthesis should be the real channel number. The virtual channel is the one to the right of the DTV...left of parenthesis.
Anyway my 3575 almost always has all ----- where the number should be. Only a few times have I seen it display a number there.

Oh, and Wabjxo, lower down on page 29 of the manual it says in a big warning box "WARNING.....you cannot recover digital channels once they are deleted, unless you preform the auto channel preset again" I think we both know this is wrong. I've found that by entering the real channel number, you can. I'm not sure what channel you entered to get it to take, was it the real, or virtual?
post #195 of 26056 Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwatson77459 View Post

Sorry to belabor this point, but I'm an Engineer and cannot help myself.

PS; One of my other pet peeves is the Best Buy's and Circuit City's selling HDMI Monster cables for $100 to connect to your $3000 HDTV when it is passing a digital signal of 1's and 0's down a copper wire when a certified HDMI cable costing $6 will work just as well.

Where can I find a "certified" HDMI cable for $6?
post #196 of 26056 Old 01-02-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Oh, and Wabjxo, lower down on page 29 of the manual it says in a big warning box "WARNING.....you cannot recover digital channels once they are deleted, unless you preform the auto channel preset again" I think we both know this is wrong. I've found that by entering the real channel number, you can. I'm not sure what channel you entered to get it to take, was it the real, or virtual?

I can't tell you how many times I've added and deleted digital channels, esp. the music channels. I think they meant to say that you have to have had a successful digital channel scan before you can add new channels. On one of my tests, I wiped out all channel memory, did a scan for analog-only channels, then tried to add my known digital channels w/o success... man that was long ago, hope I remembered that right.

Anyway, my experience with adding a completely new digital channel, 2 actually, is in my saga on Scanning for Channels... look for the "Hidden" channel discussion here. Those channels were real channels with the same major channel number as my TV has, and that's where I first noticed the 3575 had missed/skipped those two channels cuz the major channel (83.1) was scrambled.

post #197 of 26056 Old 01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Ryba View Post

Where can I find a "certified" HDMI cable for $6?

www.monoprice.com.
post #198 of 26056 Old 01-02-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:

grrrrrrrr, i tried hooking it up like you said except i have the vcr in between cause my wife still wants to tape shows on that and all i get is a blue screen. when i go to E1 i get audio, but no video. I used an S video cable to connect the box with recorder. I may have to take the VCR out of the equation. any other ideas as to what im doing wrong. I tried scanning the channels, no effect.
post #199 of 26056 Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabanaBoy View Post

grrrrrrrr, i tried hooking it up like you said except i have the vcr in between cause my wife still wants to tape shows on that and all i get is a blue screen. when i go to E1 i get audio, but no video. I used an S video cable to connect the box with recorder. I may have to take the VCR out of the equation. any other ideas as to what im doing wrong. I tried scanning the channels, no effect.

I'm afraid the VCR will mess up the works if it's on the coax feed anywhere... can't be in front of thbe 3575 or behind it.VCRs have a different op mode thru their coax. In either position on the coax, it'll block the 3575 from normal op.

You have to have the 3575 1st on the coax, then connect the VCR to an external input on the 3575... the front connections as I indicated above.

The last new user of the 3575 said his wife was hesitant also but as soon as she used the Pause Live TV button, she was hooked.

post #200 of 26056 Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 AM

After three weeks of no-problems operation, the HD title list is getting a bit wonky: with 23 items (some the result of dividing titles), it now takes quite a while to populate the thumbnails--and if I try to play a title from the end of the list before its thumbnail appears, I get no picture. Sound also stops working at this point, even if I exit Title mode and return to the real-time cable signal. Sound will come back if I go to the beginning of the thumbnail screens and let them populate from there. It's as though the system needs to be led to the start explicitly. (The default title display is the screenful of last-recorded items.)

This may or may not have to do with another anomaly: a zero-length title that I can't erase. I think it resulted from a botched attempt to grab a program as it started--I may have hit Stop right after record or something. That thumbnail is blank except for a large red dot in the upper left quadrant (looks like a "recording now" indicator), and while it accepts all the stages of a title-delete, it won't go away.

The other oddities began after this title was added, but I'm not sure whether it's a cause of the problems or a symptom of some organizational glitch on the drive. In any case, I'm dumping all the titles onto DVD to see whether emptying the drive will fix things.

Any theories?
post #201 of 26056 Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

rletson, sounds as if you need to talk with opieandy, who used to Divide titles a lot and filled up his HDD, ending with symptoms like yours.

How full is your HDD... press INFO button and hours remaining will appear in lower-right corner of screen with the rec mode?

Sounds like all your Divides and botched recording are causing your current problems. You're doing the right thing by offloading all your HDD titles and starting with a clean HDD.

Also, when you want to play a title, wait for the index pic to generate fully. I think this is important to clearing the HDD cache of previous editing instructions, etc. before it takes on new info like playback instructions. (The HDD in the 3575 has a small cache (2 MB) so it's easily filled.)

I'm just hoping you can get rid of that bad title with all the rest.

For anyone who might not know this already, Dividing then Deleting Scenes will eventually cause problems. Here's a post on how to make Scene Deletes and a caution on Divides (which ought to be the last edit made on a title).

post #202 of 26056 Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Had not seen it mentioned in any of the massive amounts of information I have read on the 3575H/37, but a friend whom bought one 2 days after me, on my recommendation, popped in a DVD filled with XviD's on it AND THEY PLAYED !

Woo-Hoo! I had been archiving my videos in XviD and have a Philips DVP5140 that has in it's specs that it supports XviD but there is no mention of it in the 3575H in any documention that I have seen. My unit was manufactured August 2007 and was packaged in SEP 2007...

I hope this is of help to anyone...

On another note, the first time I powered up my unit the digital clock on it was gaining about 3 minutes per HOUR, that is a BIG issue.

Luckily, I called Philips Tech support this past Sunday around 10PM and got right through to a VERY knowledgeable tech on the 3575H and he had me do the reset wherein I unplugged the unit, waited about 15 secs, held the power button down while plugging in the unit and all is well now since Sunday, the clock is keeping time perfectly now...

This is gonna be a fun toy to play with

And a *BIG* thank you to all whom have shared information regarding this unit and others and the time you have spent making life easy for others and making it so they can get the most out of their fancy new toy
post #203 of 26056 Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh wow...I am almost beside myself right now.

After horrible experiences with Sony, Samsung and Panasonic dvd recorders I finally coughed up the dough for a 3575H as a last ditch effort. The setup went smoothly...the PQ from the tuner rivals the quality of the internal tuner in my Panny plasma (but not quite) so I was fairly pleased until...

I tried a recording tonight.
During playback I get this bright "flashing" that almost looks like a white band about 4 inches high and extending across the length of the screen near the bottom. I switch to the tuner to see if it is something with the broadcast and I notice the same thing happening. AHA! my local Fox affiliate is having trouble with their equipment tonight! Not so fast..

I switch to the internal tuner in the tv and get none of this on the same station...switch back to the tuner on the Philips and I still have the flashing (almost like some strange menu trying to pop up) on the very same channel that is fine with the internal Panny tuner.

Any ideas? Did I miss something in setup? Is the tuner bad and I'll get to experience the customer service of yet another wonderful company?

Don't get me wrong...I am not overly picky about my electronics, and over the years most everything I have bought works like it should right out of the box...I am either going through a very unlucky phase or there is some conspiracy to keep me from simply recording tv shows that I miss.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #204 of 26056 Old 01-03-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wow, a strange problem indeed!

What is your system setup, cabling, Setup options, etc.?

post #205 of 26056 Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, a strange problem indeed!

What is your system setup, cabling, Setup options, etc.?

Well, I finally figured it out..sort of. I pushed the "HDMI" button on the remote..the screen went blank for a second and then when the picture came back up the flashing problem was gone. I still don't understand what function the HDMI button performs (no label pops up when pushed) but apparently it causes/fixes the flashing screen.

edit- now that I'm cooled off and the problem is fixed...I think this is what I have been looking for since I dumped Tivo over a year ago. The playback is certainly higher quality than what i got with my old Tivo Series 2.

TH-42PZ77U 1080p plasma
Philips DVDR-3575H
PS3
Xbox 360 w/HD-DVD drive
Pioneer surround reciever

that is my entire setup..using monoprice HDMI cables and an Oppo HM-31 HDMI switch with the PS3/360

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #206 of 26056 Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Glad you figured it out. Yes, the HDMI button activates or sets the HDMI output for first use to 480p. Now that you've activated HDMI, you shouldn't see that problem again. 480p seems to be the consensus setting from several users here, including me... I get my best HDMI pic with my Vizio 1080p LCD with 480p output... must have a better scaler than the 3575?

You won't have to press the HDMI button again unless you want to change output res. to 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

Your TV should show a display during its initial switch to your HDMI input that indicates the input res (at least mine does), and the front panel of the 3575 should also indicate the output res selected.

post #207 of 26056 Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How are you coming along with that list of what all the Skip-1-2-3 codes do, wabjxo?
post #208 of 26056 Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad you figured it out. Yes, the HDMI button activates or sets the HDMI output for first use to 480p. Now that you've activated HDMI, you shouldn't see that problem again. 480p seems to be the consensus setting from several users here, including me... I get my best HDMI pic with my Vizio 1080p LCD with 480p output... must have a better scaler than the 3575?

You won't have to press the HDMI button again unless you want to change output res. to 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

Your TV should show a display during its initial switch to your HDMI input that indicates the input res (at least mine does), and the front panel of the 3575 should also indicate the output res selected.

I didn't even look at the front panel of the unit...I'll try that when I get home later. Are you saying that 480p is optimal for a 1080p set?

post #209 of 26056 Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

I didn't even look at the front panel of the unit...I'll try that when I get home later. Are you saying that 480p is optimal for a 1080p set?

Well, it is for mine, and several others have also settled on 480p as best for them. Obviously, try them all and you might get better results from another res... must depend on which unit has the best scaler, and it appears the 3575's scaler is not as good as some fixed-pixel displays.

post #210 of 26056 Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 PM

Please help me I just bought the Dvr but dont know how to connect it to satellite box...Also I wanna know how do you program the satellite receiver with DVR? I mean is thr a way I can scan my satellite receiver channels on DVR? and can the dvr turn on and tunes the channel I want to record itself or I will have to do it manually? thanks in advance.

p.s I know you ppl will tell me to get the dish/direct tv dvr but no thanks I wud like to have my phillips working with satellite box.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page