Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 70 - AVS Forum
First ... 68  69  70 71  72  ... Last
DVD Recorders (Standard Def) > Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
Chuck44's Avatar Chuck44 02:50 PM 10-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If you plan on doing so without at least waiting for some reviews, you'd be a complete fool. I hope you don't mean immediately, as soon as it comes out. Mr. T wouldn't approve.

Haven't decided yet whether to wait for reviews,
but I bought my 3575 as soon as they hit the market
and its been trouble free for a year and a half.

jjeff's Avatar jjeff 03:17 PM 10-24-2008
Someone has to be the first to try one of those things and who better than one of us better educated AVS guys
I don't think I'll be one of the first though unless I can find it locally B&M at a store that has a good return policy
That's where the "better educated" part comes in play
stressbox's Avatar stressbox 11:42 PM 10-24-2008
WAJO: Thanks for the tip on the DV10 service menus.
I read the link and it seemed to say he was trying to disable HDCP on his LG machine so disks recorded on it would play on the HDCP non-compliant DV10. Do you understand it that way? If so, we would need to find a way to disable HDCP on the 3576 although doing so might have other consequences in 3576 operation.
Stresssing all the time
wajo's Avatar wajo 12:10 AM 10-25-2008
Stress007, I re-read that other post and he's talking about disabling HDCP in his LG DVDR so his non-HDCP-compliant Optoma projector will accept the signal from the LG DVDR.

Not the same as we're trying to do with your Optoma projector, which I think you said IS HDCP-compliant?
wajo's Avatar wajo 06:36 AM 10-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyrr View Post

I've been following this thread for months , off and on, as I searched for a recorder with a digital tuner to enable me to continue timeshifting after OTA signal becomes exclusively digital. Last week, I got a 3576, ( pack date: 24 June 2008 / DTV-S: 0x93 ).

Cannot copy to disk flag: I'm in Toronto Canada and get my signal OTA; Canadian signal from the Toronto Area, and American from Buffalo NY. I've only had this for a week, ( made about twenty recordings ), and shouldn't be jumping to conclusions this early, but so far I've always gotten cannot copy to disk flags on every recording from the American networks ( except PBS ), and I've never gotten one from a Canadian network, even when recording American shows like Bones or House. This would seem to me to support the theory that these flags are appearing as a result of upgraded anti-copy technology either in the American broadcast signal or the recorder or both, or perhaps something in the commercials, but not a malfunction in the recorder or interference.

This is an important post for others who might start getting the Copy-Once (CO) flag that allows a program to be recorded to the HDD but not offloaded to a std DVD.

Pretty definitive evidence that a CO flag IS starting to appear in progams broadcast on U.S. channels... eyyr is seeing the flag in EVERY U.S.-broadcast show and NONE in Canadian-broadcast shows, incl. U.S. programs Bones and House.
stressbox's Avatar stressbox 11:51 AM 10-25-2008
Wajo008: I don't think I said my DV10 is HDCP compliant -- I don't know.
If the poster has a DV10 which is non-compliant mine must also be that.
Do we know if the 3476 is HDCP compliant and if so what happens if we try to make it non-compliant? If done, might it fail to record movies that are compliant?
Stressbox(corrugated)
wajo's Avatar wajo 12:13 PM 10-25-2008
Any device with a HDMI connection should be HDCP compliant cuz that's part of the HDMI std. I don't think you can make a 3576 non-compliant. Besides you're just trying to play a disc created in your 3576 so I think HDCP is off-track for your problem. The other guy's got me thinking that you might be able to see your DV10's internal settings, which might be helpful.

I'm not sure but have you looked for a DV10 FW update... I seem to remember one or more people with an Optoma saying they also had problems playing certain discs but solved that with a FW update. One person had to send his unit in however???
gastrof's Avatar gastrof 11:37 AM 10-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Haven't decided yet whether to wait for reviews,
but I bought my 3575 as soon as they hit the market
and its been trouble free for a year and a half.

Maybe I should offer to trade'ya a 3576 when I get the latest new one Philips will be sending me...as my SECOND exchange (which started with a 3575 being sent back).
Chuck44's Avatar Chuck44 12:40 PM 10-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Maybe I should offer to trade'ya a 3576 when I get the latest new one Philips will be sending me...as my SECOND exchange (which started with a 3575 being sent back).

No Thanks.
olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 07:21 PM 10-26-2008
Nice thread. Tons of info. A lot of repeat, but people seem to be too lazy to search. Didn't know about the 'amplified' passthrough so had to confirm it myself. According to my Sadelco DisplayMax meter, the output is about 1dB hotter than the input, making the gain about 4dB, just enough to compensate for the internal splitter. That also means you can't unplug the DVR and expect it to pass signal. Signal drops about 30 dB if you do. I only checked analog ch. 13, but I'd guess the 1dB gain should be pretty flat.
wajo's Avatar wajo 09:03 AM 10-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Nice thread. Tons of info. A lot of repeat, but people seem to be too lazy to search. Didn't know about the 'amplified' passthrough so had to confirm it myself. According to my Sadelco DisplayMax meter, the output is about 1dB hotter than the input, making the gain about 4dB, just enough to compensate for the internal splitter. That also means you can't unplug the DVR and expect it to pass signal. Signal drops about 30 dB if you do. I only checked analog ch. 13, but I'd guess the 1dB gain should be pretty flat.

Great test and could be very helpful, but...

Sounds like you didn't check the coax passthru (since ch. 13 won't output on the coax)... must have checked a line output?

It'd be very informative if you could check the raw coax passthru, plus some analog and digital channels on a line output to see if any diff. thru the analog vs. digital tuners?

It'd also be good to know what your signal source is (OTA. cable, etc.), and note if your 3576 is receiving the raw signal directly or thru any other device, like a splitter or external amp.
rta53's Avatar rta53 06:50 AM 10-28-2008
Last week I was about to order a DVD recorder from Amazon. But while reading one of the reviews, the reviewer mentioned avsforum.com and I decided to check it out. Well the first thing I see is the thread about buying a HDD recorder instead of a DVD recorder. So instead of getting what I had originally planned to buy I ended up ordering the Magnavox H2160 from Walmart. I'm glad I read the info here first. Thanks especially to wajo. Your advice and knowledge is much appreciated. I joined the forum so I could express my thanks and also hopefully participate in the discussions. I am not much of a video geek but I was tired of recording shows to VCR with all the frustrations that accompany this and wanted a better alternative. I ordered the H2160 just this past weekend and it is supposed to be delivered today! Looking forward to setting it up tonight.
wajo's Avatar wajo 07:12 AM 10-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53 View Post

Last week I was about to order a DVD recorder from Amazon. But while reading one of the reviews, the reviewer mentioned avsforum.com and I decided to check it out. Well the first thing I see is the thread about buying a HDD recorder instead of a DVD recorder. So instead of getting what I had originally planned to buy I ended up ordering the Magnavox H2160 from Walmart. I'm glad I read the info here first. Thanks especially to wajo. Your advice and knowledge is much appreciated. I joined the forum so I could express my thanks and also hopefully participate in the discussions. I am not much of a video geek but I was tired of recording shows to VCR with all the frustrations that accompany this and wanted a better alternative. I ordered the H2160 just this past weekend and it is supposed to be delivered today! Looking forward to setting it up tonight.

Welcome to the forum!
rod jr's Avatar rod jr 10:59 AM 10-28-2008
Thanks for all the great info, I was lucky to find a 3576 at Sams, it was their last one and the display model. No box, but everything else was included at $195. I have Dish network with best cable output being S-video, is there a way to hook up dvr and tv with s video cable at same time without having to keep the dvr turned on to view dish programing ?
rod jr's Avatar rod jr 12:41 PM 10-28-2008
I looked at sketch 2, but still don't understand if signal from dish receiver to 3576 via s-video cable will pass thru to tv when 3576 is turned off. Hope this makes sense. To clarify I do not have a dish dvr, only regular dish receiver.
Rammitinski's Avatar Rammitinski 12:59 PM 10-28-2008
He just wants to know how to connect it so it will pass through without having to turn the DVR on every time. My dish tuner has a simultaneous RF out, but of course, for watching that's the worst possible PQ you'll get.

The Philips has RF pass-thru I believe, right? So hook up to both RF and to the line input.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 01:14 PM 10-28-2008
The Philips S-video output will stop when the Philips is off. I believe their were a few DVDRs that had line output enabled when the unit was off, but not very many.
If your STB/TV had another output like component or composite that would also be another option, otherwise as Ramm said RF would work too but be the worst PQ.
I know what you're getting at, you don't want to power up the Philips just to watch live TV from your STB, but if you want to use S-video it's probably going to be your only choice.
Rammitinski's Avatar Rammitinski 01:39 PM 10-28-2008
You could record using the pass-thru, and then hook the tuner up through s-video directly to the TV for the best *live* picture quality.

But everytime I ever tried recording through RF from my Dish tuner, I never found the PQ to be all that satisfactory.

If you've got a smaller TV you might not notice it so much, though.

(Or, you could vice-versa the above.)
gastrof's Avatar gastrof 02:57 PM 10-28-2008
The solution is to get a splitter box that divides A/V signals from one source and feeds them out on multiple outputs.

For example-
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

The A/V will go both into the Philips and into the TV.

Of course, I haven't checked back far enough to see if the problem is the TV having only one set of A/V inputs.

If it does, then yet ANOTHER device will be needed for the TV's inputs...some type of A/B switch to choose between the Philips and the Dish box.

Radio Shack should have something to serve the purpose, but I couldn't find it for A/V sources. Just ones with "F" (RF) connectors.

(No. I don't work for Radio Shack. Just an addict...uhh...customer.)
gastrof's Avatar gastrof 03:05 PM 10-28-2008
Found one...

Found it and others using "video selector" in the "search" field, but the others were for more than two components.
Rammitinski's Avatar Rammitinski 03:56 PM 10-28-2008
They used to sell a more expensive one that would automatically sense the incoming signal and switch inputs on it's own. But I hadn't seen it in the store for quite awhile.

(They recently closed the store by me, so I have no idea what they're selling or not these days.)
rod jr's Avatar rod jr 06:41 PM 10-28-2008
Thank you all for your help. Jjeff understood what I was getting at. So as not to keep the Phillips turned on, I installed a video switch that also has the s-video to enable output to both 3576 and tv from Dish tuner. Thanks again, this site is very helpful.
chewdogg10's Avatar chewdogg10 02:23 PM 10-29-2008
So I am confused after reading this thread... I just bought the Philips 3576 because I traded a basketball game or two with a guy that had this same model. His discs recorded an HD version of the game and I liked the fact that it was in 16:9 widescreen, but when I hooked it up to my SD TV it was 4:3 letterbox, complete with black bars at the top and the bottom. Yet for some reason, I can't seem to find the setting to change it on my new philips DVDR to record an HD feed to anamorphic widescreen so on my SD TV I have 4:3 letterbox and on my HDTV I can playback in 16:9. Anyone help me locate these settings? Thanks in advance!!
wajo's Avatar wajo 02:42 PM 10-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewdogg10 View Post

So I am confused after reading this thread... I just bought the Philips 3576 because I traded a basketball game or two with a guy that had this same model. His discs recorded an HD version of the game and I liked the fact that it was in 16:9 widescreen, but when I hooked it up to my SD TV it was 4:3 letterbox, complete with black bars at the top and the bottom. Yet for some reason, I can't seem to find the setting to change it on my new philips DVDR to record an HD feed to anamorphic widescreen so on my SD TV I have 4:3 letterbox and on my HDTV I can playback in 16:9. Anyone help me locate these settings? Thanks in advance!!

I think this will help.

You can also click on the link at the bottom of that page for a list of more help files, if needed.
chewdogg10's Avatar chewdogg10 02:56 PM 10-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I think this will help.

You can also click on the link at the bottom of that page for a list of more help files, if needed.

Sorry Wajo.. That is what I read and I think got overwelmed by the amount of info there. Let me lay out my setup for you... I have a DirecTV HR21 and connecting it to E2 on the back of the DVD Recorder with a S-Video Cable+RCA. I have the HR21 res set at 1080i. Can you highlight or point out what settings on the DVDR I need to change and where I physically change those at? Thank you wajo!
wajo's Avatar wajo 03:07 PM 10-29-2008
Quote:

Sorry Wajo.. That is what I read and I think got overwelmed by the amount of info there. Let me lay out my setup for you... I have a DirecTV HR21 and connecting it to E2 on the back of the DVD Recorder with a S-Video Cable+RCA. I have the HR21 res set at 1080i. Can you highlight or point out what settings on the DVDR I need to change and where I physically change those at? Thank you wajo!

Sure... Your DirecTV HR21 is supposed to send a WS signal via its S-Video or Composite outputs if you set it correctly. I don't have a sat receiver but others have told me the H20 and 21 have "settable aspects" but I don't know where those settings are, so you'll have to find that setting first. It may relate or have an effect on the S-Video and/or Composite outputs... not sure, but that's what you're aiming for. You also need to send the 3576 480i rez, so that might be a part of what you're looking for in the H21 menus.

Then, you have the correct S-Video+L/R audio connection to the 3576 on the back, which is E1 (not E2... E2 is the front S-Vid/Comp connection).

Now, you should also have set the 3576 Video > Video Input to S-Video In (default is Video In which is Composite).

Finally, set the 3576 Video > TV Aspect to 16:9 Wide. This will correctly record 16:9 WS programs, but it doesn't set the "WS flag" that makes the recording anamorphic so it gets auto-letterboxed when played on 4:3 TVs.

In my long WS help file, I explain how I record everything with TV Aspect set to 16:9 Wide and get full WS rec from digital WS channels, and also full-screen 4:3 pic on my 4:3 TVs with only a very slight "squish" that's hard to tell except when I rec my favorite test channel, digital TNT, which has a perfect-cirlce logo so any aspect changes are immediately noticeable in the cirlce logo.

P.S. If your friend records his WS programs with the TV Aspect on its default setting of 4:3 Letter Box, ALL his digital WS recordings will have bars on top and bottom, even when played on a 16:9 TV! (Analog channels are not affected by that setting.) Everything will loook squished horizontally and you'll have to find a TV zoom setting that fills the screen, but it'll still look squished. That's why I leave my 3575's always on TV Aspect of 16:9 Wide for everything.
chewdogg10's Avatar chewdogg10 03:27 PM 10-29-2008
So are you saying letterbox is not possible? Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Sure... Your DirecTV HR21 is supposed to send a WS signal via its S-Video or Composite outputs if you set it correctly. I don't have a sat receiver but others have told me the H20 and 21 have "settable aspects" but I don't know where those settings are, so you'll have to find that setting first. It may relate or have an effect on the S-Video and/or Composite outputs... not sure, but that's what you're aiming for. You also need to send the 3576 480i rez, so that might be a part of what you're looking for in the H21 menus.

Then, you have the correct S-Video+L/R audio connection to the 3576 on the back, which is E1 (not E2... E2 is the front S-Vid/Comp connection).

Now, you should also have set the 3576 Video > Video Input to S-Video In (default is Video In which is Composite).

Finally, set the 3576 Video > TV Aspect to 16:9 Wide. This will correctly record 16:9 WS programs, but it doesn't set the "WS flag" that makes the recording anamorphic so it gets auto-letterboxed when played on 4:3 TVs.

In my long WS help file, I explain how I record everything with TV Aspect set to 16:9 Wide and get full WS rec from digital WS channels, and also full-screen 4:3 pic on my 4:3 TVs with only a very slight "squish" that's hard to tell except when I rec my favorite test channel, digital TNT, which has a perfect-cirlce logo so any aspect changes are immediately noticeable in the cirlce logo.

P.S. If your friend records his WS programs with the TV Aspect on its default setting of 4:3 Letter Box, ALL his digital WS recordings will have bars on top and bottom, even when played on a 16:9 TV! (Analog channels are not affected by that setting.) Everything will loook squished horizontally and you'll have to find a TV zoom setting that fills the screen, but it'll still look squished. That's why I leave my 3575's always on TV Aspect of 16:9 Wide for everything.

wajo's Avatar wajo 03:36 PM 10-29-2008
Quote:

You can LB a digital WS program by setting the 3576 TV Aspect to 4:3 Letter Box, but it'll retain the LB bars when played on a 16:9 WS TV, which you don't want cuz it squishes the pic.

I think you're asking if you can produce a disc with a digital WS program that plays full WS on a 16:9 WS TV, but then can be shown on a 4:3 TV with LB bars top and bottom... can't do that. The 3576 doesn't set the "WS flag" that tells a 4:3 TV to add LB bars like an "anamorphic" commercial movie does. My WS programs will only show full-screen on my 4:3 TVs and I can't change that with the TV's aspect settings.

All this only applies to digital channels where WS programs are shown... you can't change the aspect of analog channels, which are all 4:3.
rickie's Avatar rickie 04:52 PM 10-29-2008
Quote:

I have my Philips set to LB 4:3 mode. This provides a LB on regular TV's and a computers. It also gives a LEtter Box on Widescreen tv's within a 4:3 Frame, but most Widescreen tv's have a mode that allows you to stretch a LB box picture within a 4:3 frame to fill without distortion as this is a fairly common aspect ratio and is used for non-anamorphic commercial recordings.

If I knew for sure I would play shows back on the Philps, I'd set the Philips to Widescreen mode and record that way. Everything would fit, but I seldom play back with the Philips, and sometimes want to watch on a laptop.

Rick
Chuck44's Avatar Chuck44 05:19 PM 10-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

I have my Philips set to LB 4:3 mode. This provides a LB on regular TV's and a computers. It also gives a LEtter Box on Widescreen tv's within a 4:3 Frame, but most Widescreen tv's have a mode that allows you to stretch a LB box picture within a 4:3 frame to fill without distortion as this is a fairly common aspect ratio and is used for non-anamorphic commercial recordings. (...) Rick

I do the same. I've tried all the different settings and
I get the best results with both a WS SDTV and a HDTV using the 4:3 LB setting on my 3575.
I personally cannot stand a picture that's out of proportion.
Tags: Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
First ... 68  69  70 71  72  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop