Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 25741 Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewdogg10 View Post

So I am confused after reading this thread... I just bought the Philips 3576 because I traded a basketball game or two with a guy that had this same model. His discs recorded an HD version of the game and I liked the fact that it was in 16:9 widescreen...

Just to clarify...

While the game he recorded might have been in High Def, the recording he ended up with on the 3576, while widescreen, was still only Standard Def.

The 3576 can't record in High Def.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Just to clarify...

While the game he recorded might have been in High Def, the recording he ended up with on the 3576, while widescreen, was still only Standard Def.

The 3576 can't record in High Def.

Yes, that's true.. I use the Hauppauge PVR to do HD, but discs are so damn expensive still.

Thanks to everyone for their help!!
post #2103 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

I receive 15 OTA DTV stations here in the Philadelphia area. My 3575H handles 14 of them fine, but recently I noticed a problem with audio decoding for W36DO, a new low power DTV station broadcasting on channel 36.1. My converter boxes handle the audio for this station just fine, but the 3575H does not - I'm getting no audio at all. My best guess based on discussion on the Philadelphia OTA thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...620626&page=50
is that the problem has to do with how the station sends out (or fails to send out) PSIP. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why the 3575H can't decode audio from this station while converter boxes (such as the DTVpal Plus) can?
post #2104 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

I receive 15 OTA DTV stations here in the Philadelphia area. My 3575H handles 14 of them fine, but recently I noticed a problem with audio decoding for W36DO, a new low power DTV station broadcasting on channel 36.1. My converter boxes handle the audio for this station just fine, but the 3575H does not - I'm getting no audio at all. My best guess based on discussion on the Philadelphia OTA thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...620626&page=50
is that the problem has to do with how the station sends out (or fails to send out) PSIP. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why the 3575H can't decode audio from this station while converter boxes (such as the DTVpal Plus) can?

I tend to suspect that the station is often the problem. Different receivers seem to be able to handle different errors.

For a while there was no sound on the KRMA sub-channel on one of my units. I can't remember whether it was my Philips 42PF7320 TV or the Philips DVDR4375. Others in the Denver group were reporting different failure modes, depending on the type of receiver they had. KRMA was able to fix that by rebooting the PSIP generator.

A few months age KRMA-DT did something that my Vizio VX32L TV could not handle. A Vizio channnel scan could no longer detect the station. KRMA engineering said they hadn't changed anything, but another Vizio VX323L owner had a failed channel scan at the same time. Vizio engineering offered to work with the station. I gave KRMA the contact info, and the Vizio engineer said he called KRMA and left a voice mail. A few weeks after the Vizio offer, the problem went away. My Vizio TVs could find the station again on a scan, as could the other Vizio owner. I could not get any info from KRMA on what they changed.

Troubleshooting these things is a real problem. The station engineers often don't know what is wrong, and even if support engineering from the receiver vendor is willing to work the issue, they have problems getting a sample of the data stream to analyze.
post #2105 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 02:22 PM

I am trying to decide between the 3576 and waiting for the Echostar HR-50. Now, I'm really torn because while I do want a unit that has two tuners, the DVDR is a really cool feature (especially since it can upconvert DVDs).

I guess now my only concern is the PQ of this unit since it does not an HD tuner. I could have sworn Wajo had another post about the upconversion quality, but I can't find that post to save my life. I have a 32" Sharp 720p (with HDMI and component jacks) with just OTA (no cable/dish). If I rate a 720p OTA-HD feed to my TV an "8" in PQ, what would you rate the output from the HDD if it recorded that same OTA HD feed? Also does anyone else share in Wajo's enthusiasm on the PQ of playing commercial DVDs? Right now I'm using a 420p Sony DVD player. I apologize in advanced if these are stupid questions, I'm truly a n00b with this kind of stuff.

BTW, I think this is the best thread i have read on any forum. My hat goes off everyone here especially to Wajo.
post #2106 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
post #2107 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 PM

Hi Wajo!
I read that one, but thought you responded to someone individually about the PQ. I read in that file that you were impressed with the PQ. In any case it's not that big of a deal. Let me ask you simply, how would the PQ compare (to a 720p or a 1080i broadcast) if I was to DVR OTA shows, sporting events, etc?
post #2108 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Chach, I subscribe to basic (analog) cable, which is compressed Composite, so my source is prob. as bad as it can get, except for SD Dish, and my digital channels record with high-enough PQ that I've recorded some dramas at 6-hr-SLP and a fast-action James Bond movie at 3-hr-LP.

With an OTA source delivering a true Component signal I'd expect even better results than I get... analog channels can range from terrible to pretty OK, and their PQ will depend greatly on the source, as always, AND your TV type and settings.

Commercial DVDs play with what I can describe only as "awesome" with my 3575's set for HDMI Format YCbCr, which is the digital Component video they're produced in... so a digital source via a digital cable to a digital TV... brilliant... who's idea was that anyway!

I did find, however, that I get my best pic using 480p over HDMI and let my more-expensive TVs scale and convert the signal to their native rez.
post #2109 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chachi View Post

I am trying to decide between the 3576 and waiting for the Echostar HR-50.

I own a 3576 and use it to record OTA and view on a 32" HDTV. I purchased the 3576 because it was the best option available at the time. Many people seem to like the picture quality. As far as I'm concerned, the picture quality is okay but certainly nothing to rave about. Recorded programs are considerably softer and darker compared to viewing the same programs in real time using my HDTV tuner.

As far as DVDs are concerned, they look as good on the 3576 as any other DVD player that I've used. As far as I'm concerned upconversion is a joke. As Wajo has said on many occassions, I set the 3576 to 480p and let my HDTV do the upconversion because it produces a much better picture.

I've also had my eye on the Echostar TR-50 (aka DTVPal DVR) and may eventually purchase one. However, I got burned by the original DTVPal, so I plan to wait for a few months for them to get most of the bugs worked out.

I guess your decision comes down to how soon do you need to purchase something. If you need something immediately, the 3576 is an excellent choice. However, if you can wait a few months, the TR-50 would probably be a better choice since it is supposed to have dual tuners and will record in true HD.
post #2110 of 25741 Old 10-30-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

(...) However, if you can wait a few months, the TR-50 would probably be a better choice since it is supposed to have dual tuners and will record in true HD.

But not have a DVD recorder.
post #2111 of 25741 Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chachi View Post

I am trying to decide between the 3576 and waiting for the Echostar HR-50. Now, I'm really torn because while I do want a unit that has two tuners, the DVDR is a really cool feature (especially since it can upconvert DVDs).

I guess now my only concern is the PQ of this unit since it does not an HD tuner. I could have sworn Wajo had another post about the upconversion quality, but I can't find that post to save my life. I have a 32" Sharp 720p (with HDMI and component jacks) with just OTA (no cable/dish). If I rate a 720p OTA-HD feed to my TV an "8" in PQ, what would you rate the output from the HDD if it recorded that same OTA HD feed? Also does anyone else share in Wajo's enthusiasm on the PQ of playing commercial DVDs? Right now I'm using a 420p Sony DVD player. I apologize in advanced if these are stupid questions, I'm truly a n00b with this kind of stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am using OTA 1080i/720p feed. I would rate my picture quality from my tv's tuner as 9.5 and the picture from a hard drive recording from the 3576 at 9.0.

My tv, ( Panasonic TC-32LX700 ), does not upconvert; what you input is what you get as far as I can tell. SD channels and my old S-VIDEO connected dvd player come through at 480i. Some of the HD channels come in at 720p, the others at 1080i. The tv supports 1080p and that's where I have the HDMI connection set because on my set that's what looked best. YMMV, so try all the settings your tv supports and decide for yourself what you like best.

The upconverting dvd player is wonderful. I very much wanted to get one after getting a tv that would support it and I'm very pleased with it.

The Echostar 50 didn't really tempt me because it's unknown whether it will be available here in Canada, ( and if available how much will it cost).

Edit: P.S. The only reason I rated the picture from a hard drive recording as slightly less than the tv's own tuner is that when using its own tuner the tv produces a truly exceptional picture quality. The picture from my HDD recordings on the 3576 is excellent. Even in sp it looks like a live broadcast.
post #2112 of 25741 Old 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We really need to re-post a few points every couple of months for new visitors to the thread:

1. Your Philips/Magnavox unit records in 480i SD quality, maximum resolution 720 x 480. It's always going to look slightly "softer" or "fuzzier" on playback than true 720/1080 HD from the original source displayed on your HDTV.

2. You will get the best possible recording quality for recording 16:9 HD programs from a cable or sat tuner if you set the tuner for anamorphic output to the recorder (i.e., full screen picture with no black bars on any side of the picture). This is a source issue, not a recorder issue. The recorder just records what it gets. These recorders do not record any aspect ratio information with the program - you have to manually select the correct aspect ratio yourself on playback. But if you record a 16:9 anamorphic program and then use the stretch mode on your TV to restore it to 16:9 on playback, it will have the correct aspect ratio and the best possible quality.

3. If your picture looks too dark on playback, you have a black-level setting issue between the recorder and your TV. Explore the effect of the RGB Normal vs. Enhanced setting on the recorder, and the Black Level setting on your TV input. Note that if you have previously adjusted your TV brightness control to compensate for another source which has the input black level set incorrectly, you may have to re-juggle all 3 (TV, recorder, other source) to get correct and consistent settings.
post #2113 of 25741 Old 10-31-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm planning a new A/V set up in my office (a commercial space) and was hoping to score some beneficent wisdom about whether my envisioned arrangement will actually work. My confusion comes from the fact that it's a commercial space and that I'm hoping to include a DVDR. The cable company (Comcast) has told me that they cannot provide me a DVR box because it's a commercial space, but I don't know what implications this has on whether a DVDR can be made to function.

Here are the relevant components in my proposed arrangement:

- Cable box: Motorola DCT6200
I'll be subscribed to an analog basic cable package that includes local HD channels.

- DVDR: Philips 3576
I would prefer something with an HDD, and wajo's comprehensive postings have steered me toward this.

- Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606

- TV: Samsung LN52A650

My plan would be to attach the components as follows:
- Cable coax feed to Philips 3576 passed-through to Motorola DCT6200
- Philips 3576 connected to Onkyo TX-SR606 via HDMI
- Motorola DCT 6200 connected to Onkyo TX-SR606 via Component video and Optical audio (though from wajo's recent thoughts re: upconversion, perhaps I'd be better off just going directly from the cable box to the TV via composite)
-Onkyo TX-SR606, which has HDMI repeater, connected to Samsung LN52A650 via HDMI.

My hope is that this set up would provide optimal picture and sound quality from both the Motorola DCT 6200 and the Philips 3576, while also allowing me to record TV programming from the cable feed. Any thoughts on whether this would work? Am I on the right track?

As far as I know, the Motorola DCT 6200 only allows for one line out to operate at a time -- so I would not be able to run a line out to both the receiver/TV and DVDR simultaneously without using a splitter, which I'd prefer to avoid.

My chief concern is that the DVDR will not be able to record the (scrambled?) cable feed if its only input is from the coax pass through. Any advice on this or general guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm also not entirely clear on whether I'd be better off with a cheaper tunerless DVDR -- whether the fact that I'm getting the feed over cable (though before passing through a STB) makes the tuners unnecessary? Or whether, with the tuners, I'd be able to record OTA and not concern myself with recording the cable feed. Clearly, I need help.

Happy Halloween! It's my birthday -- please be kind.

Dan
post #2114 of 25741 Old 10-31-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

danimals, it sounds like you're almost there, and if you haven't seen my latest help file on System Connections, the setup shown in sketch #1 should work... except it doesn't show a receiver in the mix... see my comment at end.

If your STB really does have only ONE S-Video output (just recently heard about this... stupid!), some have suggested a switch on that output to direct it to the 3576 OR to the TV, but to me, that sounds like it will complicate free-and-easy timer recording to the 3576. With only one STB output, any DVDR, tunered or tunerless will have the same problem. Maybe others have found a more elegant way to record from a STB with only one stupid output!

You could also use a splitter on the incoming coax and send separate signals to the 3576 and the STB, then only record what the 3576 can pick up by itself? ... should get some analog and digital channels, as many other do... I'm also basic (analog) cable and get 10 HD digital channels tunable by my 3575's.

Your idea of recording only from an OTA antenna is another possibility if there's not a more "elegant" solution for a stupid single-output STB... did I mention how stupid that is?

With a Motorola STB, you won't be able to record a widescreen (WS) program from S-Video or Composite (whichever stupid single output it has)... you'll need an external converter for that.

On the Component vs Composite choice, I use digital Composite cables to my 1080P LCD cuz I'm also on basic (analog) cable, which is a compressed Composite signal. I find my best pic by retaining that Composite signal all the way to my more-expensive TV and letting it scale and upconvert to its native rez. In my system, HDMI is the very best for playing commercial DVDs, which are produced with YCbCr Digital Component Video, so I set my 3575 HDMI Format for YCbCr... digital from source to TV.

Even when I use HDMI, I only use the 480p format and let my TV do the scaling, etc. and it seems to work best for me... and I've done many tests of all configs in my system... YMMV.

I don't run my cables thru my receiver, so I can't advize on what's best with a system running thru a receiver... I only use my receiver for digital coax audio when playing DVDs with DD5.1... hopefully others will help with that and more?
post #2115 of 25741 Old 10-31-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimals View Post

...I'll be subscribed to an analog basic cable package that includes local HD channels...

Umm...

You can't get high def on analog.

That requires digital.

There may be digital channels you can access on your basic service, but they're digital, not analog.
post #2116 of 25741 Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the prompt replies. So I guess there's just no way for me to connect the cable box to both the TV and DVDR without resorting to a splitter somewhere in the process. I think I'll try to figure out what channels the DVDR will likely be able to tune in on it's own (for recording) prior to deciding whether to go the splitter route.

Regarding the component v. composite/analog v. digital matter, I reckon that the majority of my channels will be analog but a few (HD) offerings will be digital - and that it will therefore make sense for me to use the component connection set to output HD at 1080i and non-HD at 480p. At least that's what I'd plan to try for starters.

Thanks again. I'll be setting up this system over the next week and will let you know how it goes.
post #2117 of 25741 Old 11-01-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimals View Post

Regarding the component v. composite/analog v. digital matter, I reckon that the majority of my channels will be analog but a few (HD) offerings will be digital - and that it will therefore make sense for me to use the component connection set to output HD at 1080i and non-HD at 480p. At least that's what I'd plan to try for starters.

I missed this until now... you can't upconvert via Component... you can only change the output to Progressive scan for Component, the only output that Component setting affects... Composite and S-Video don't support anything but 480i and they ignore a Progressive setting, and HDMI has its own control over output format.
post #2118 of 25741 Old 11-02-2008, 03:24 AM

I noticed that there have been several postings regarding some folks getting a dark picture from their 3575/3576/2160 units, and just wanted to pass along my recent experience with the "dynamic duo". Because I only have one HDMI input on my Panasonic 32" LCD TC32LC60 (model number from memory so it may be off a little). Anyway, the 3575 was connected via HDMI and when I got the 2160, I hooked it up to the Video 3 composite input and noticed the pictue was quite a bit darker than the 3575 over HDMI. I then swapped the cables and the darkness migrated with the cable swap.
So, then it was time to get an HDMI switcher (from MonoPrice above). Now I have no more darkness problem with both of them going via HDMI.

Now if I could just keep my digital channels from disappearing.
post #2119 of 25741 Old 11-02-2008, 05:45 PM

Is it possible to add the Philips DVD-R to existing GO dvd/VCR player (which has stereo sound and speakers already hooked up)?
If yes, what additional cables will I have to buy?
Currently, the cable connection comes in from the house and goes into Go Video unit....
I would like to play VHS tapes and record into DVD format on the new Philips unit...thank you...
post #2120 of 25741 Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbell View Post

Is it possible to add the Philips DVD-R to existing GO dvd/VCR player (which has stereo sound and speakers already hooked up)?
If yes, what additional cables will I have to buy?
Currently, the cable connection comes in from the house and goes into Go Video unit....
I would like to play VHS tapes and record into DVD format on the new Philips unit...thank you...

You can connect as shown in sketch #1, with the Go Video DVD/VCR feeding line input E1 on the 3576 or 2160, as shown.
post #2121 of 25741 Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A cure for depression in these trying times... added a 10th item to "Notes on Erroneous and Misleading National Reviews":

10. Copying is very slow, even at realtime.
Need to think about this one for awhile... more than a millisecond?

post #2122 of 25741 Old 11-03-2008, 03:03 AM

For OTA only (after viewing Wajo's sketch) I am confused how to hook up an OTA only system. If I run my attic antenna direct to the 3576 "in" and then another coax from the 3576 "out" to my 42" Panny HDTV for the HDTV bypass, will I be viewing true HD while the recorder is recording (for TV shows/not DVDs) or will it downrezz the picture going to the TV? Also, will the 3576 handle Dolby Digital audio that some TV shows broadcast? Do I run optical audio out of the 3576 to my receiver? As for the VCR for just playing back old tapes, does it have to have a coax feed or can I just do an RCA jack audio/video out from it into my receiver? And lastly, is a 35' run for HDMI (from the 3576 to the TV) too far? My TV sets above my gas logs and my component stack is on the other side of room. I utilize an Infrared remote.

Sorry to be so novice about this. Any help appreciated. Thanks
post #2123 of 25741 Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avicionado View Post

For OTA only (after viewing Wajo's sketch) I am confused how to hook up an OTA only system. If I run my attic antenna direct to the 3576 "in" and then another coax from the 3576 "out" to my 42" Panny HDTV for the HDTV bypass, will I be viewing true HD while the recorder is recording (for TV shows/not DVDs) or will it downrezz the picture going to the TV?

That coax run is correct. You'll be viewing HDTV but the DVDR will be downrezzing the signal thru its tuner (or line inputs) to SDTV 480i for recording, as required by DVD specs.

Quote:

Also, will the 3576 handle Dolby Digital audio that some TV shows broadcast?

The 3576 and all other DVDRs can only record stereo/DD2.0.

Quote:

Do I run optical audio out of the 3576 to my receiver?

You can run either digital optical or coax to your receiver to play DD5.1 from sources that have it.

Quote:

As for the VCR for just playing back old tapes, does it have to have a coax feed or can I just do an RCA jack audio/video out from it into my receiver?

For just playing or copying stuff from the VCR, connect to the back E1/AV IN connectors of the 3576 then select E1 as the Source (via Source button or end of tuner channels) to see or record that VCR stuff.

Quote:

And lastly, is a 35' run for HDMI (from the 3576 to the TV) too far? My TV sets above my gas logs and my component stack is on the other side of room. I utilize an Infrared remote.

Some other people also say they have a similar length of HDMI with no problem using Monoprice HDMI cables (and others)... see Monoprice ad above on every AVS page.
post #2124 of 25741 Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 AM

I have the Philips HDD DVDR. Used it a month ago. Worked fine. I go to use it last week, now it plumb won't turn on. I changed remote batteries and made sure the power cord is inserted into a working AC circuit. Any suggestions? Perhaps there is a replacable part. Is it worth it to repair? Thanks ya all.
post #2125 of 25741 Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronroeser View Post

I have the Philips HDD DVDR. Used it a month ago. Worked fine. I go to use it last week, now it plumb won't turn on. I changed remote batteries and made sure the power cord is inserted into a working AC circuit. Any suggestions? Perhaps there is a replacable part. Is it worth it to repair? Thanks ya all.

This might be a case of the Standby circuit lost power mometarily (hope it wasn't lightning!), so you can try unplugging the DVDR completely from power, then plug back in... this can reset the Standby circuits if that's the problem.

If that doesn't work, do the same except let sit unplugged for 10 minutes, then simultaneously plug back in WHILE HOLDING the power button on the front of the unit.

If it was lightning, I hope you got it from Walmart or Sams and took their extended warranty, which covers lightning strike.
post #2126 of 25741 Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 AM

So, the unit looked lost to the heap. Took advise of Wajo to reset standby power so it would turn on. Big deal, just unplug it for a while. It works now. But who knew? Certainly not the great unwashed & unindoctrinated. Thank you for responding to my plight.
post #2127 of 25741 Old 11-05-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This might be important info as far as tuning digital channels with the 3575/3576/2160... altho in a roundabout way since this relates specifically to tuning digital channels on my newest LCD TV.

Background

For awhile now, I've had two Vizio LCDs, a 47" 1080p and a 37" 720p (768p), both with 3575's attached.

My cable run to those 2 TVs was ~50 feet, with a cableco amplifier in the middle of two 25' RG59 coax cables from a 3-way splitter at the cable drop into basement.

All TVs and 3575's tuned 10-15 digital channels, including 60.1, 60.2 and 60.3, with no problem for more than a year. (Note: these 3575's also slightly amplified the cable signal to their attached TVs via coax passthru.)

New TV Added

Got a new (3rd) Vizio 32" 720p (768p) LCD and set it up on a separate coax from my basement, but with no 3575 attached for passthru amplification.

Scanned for channels and the TV tuned everything EXCEPT the digital 60 group.

Tried many more scans, with no success in tuning the digital 60 group.

1st Test - Connected a 3575 to the New TV for Signal Amp.

I connected a 3575 to the new TV, scanned for channels, and again no luck with digital 60 group.

2nd Test - Moved Cableco Amp

Trying to decide if maybe new LCD was "defective" but had an epiphany that it was the ONLY component NOT connected to the cableco amplifier on my incoming cable TV coax [basic (analog) cable]. This TV was connected directly to the 3-way splitter at the cable drop via a 25' RG59 coax i.e., no cableco amp on that coax.

Switched position of amplifier to 1st on the incoming coax so ALL components received the cableco amp's signal.

ON 1ST SCAN, WITHOUT A 3575 IN LINE, NEW TV TUNED ALL DIGITAL CHANNELS AS OTHERS, INCL. THE DIGITAL 60 GROUP.

Conclusion?

My conclusion so far is that the 3575's coax passthru amplification wasn't enough to beef up the signal for that channel group, but the cableco's much stronger amp DID.

I'm thinking my 3rd TV suffered the "Cliff Effect" or "Digital Cliff" I've been reading about... and described in more detail here.

This effect is a complete loss of digital signal at the ends of its ideal signal strength too low a signal or too high a signal can make digital channels just "fall off the cliff" (disappear), as opposed to analog channels that get increasingly snowy towards the lower end of their signal strength... and we're always trying to maximize analog's upper end.

Moral of This Story

If you suffer loss of digital tuning, try "rearranging" splitters and amps cuz you may need to either INCREASE or DECREASE your incoming signal strength, even if your signal loss applies to only certain digital channel group(s).

You may need to add a good amp OR a good attenuator to get the ideal signal strength for digital tuning WITH OR WITHOUT A 3575/3576/2160, as my experience with a new TV suggests.

An easy test for too-strong a digital signal is the "hang-by-a-thread" test... unscrew incoming coax so it's hanging on by a thread and make sure center wire is no longer firmly seated. This can attenuate the signal just enough to see if signal might be too strong.

This may or may not help someone else in a similar, "odd" situation such as I ran into!?
post #2128 of 25741 Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
replace that RG59 with RG6 quad-shield
post #2129 of 25741 Old 11-06-2008, 07:18 PM

Is there a button on the Magnavox 2160 remote that jumps from the channel you're watching back to the previous channel you were watching?

That button exists on the Philips 3576 remote but I can't seem to find it on the Maggie remote.
post #2130 of 25741 Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM

OK..I think I got it..Cable connection direct into the Philips DVDR which needs coax connection to GO VIDEO Home theatre...but one more question...the coax connection from the DVD-R to GO VIDEO system...what cable to use? FIber optic digital cable? for better sound? Very confusing to know which cables to use between each item....
Thank you again...
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page