Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 739 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #22141 of 25858 Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432 View Post

Once government or public opinion define any regulation, most of us attempt to keep it as much as possible.

Sadly it's the same old history all around the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22142 of 25858 Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't see this on the wish list, but I would really like to have an option (have 2160A) after completion of a timer recording, when the pop-up screen asks "Do you want to leave on yes/no?" to have it default to "yes" instead of "no". Or is there some way to do this already?. My scenario is sometimes I want to have "chasing/auto record" active after the end of a timer recording so I can come back later and watch whatever was on after the the timer recording. As it is now I have to be at the recorder when the timer recording is done so I can select "yes" at the prompt. What I envision is to have a setup option to have that default to either yes or no.

scott s.
post #22143 of 25858 Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM

Liked: 10
Simple ? - I think. How can I, and what do I need to, transfer an online streaming video movie (e.g., Amazon, Hulu, etc.) to the S-Video port on the 537? Do I need to first capture it with screen capture software, or can it be transferred directly to the 537 for editing (if necessary) and later playback, DVD Burn? My computer has an NVIDIA GEF GT card with HDMI, DVI and VGA Out.
post #22144 of 25858 Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post

Simple ? - I think. How can I, and what do I need to, transfer an online streaming video movie (e.g., Amazon, Hulu, etc.) to the S-Video port on the 537? Do I need to first capture it with screen capture software, or can it be transferred directly to the 537 for editing (if necessary) and later playback, DVD Burn? My computer has an NVIDIA GEF GT card with HDMI, DVI and VGA Out.

4h on page one of this thread. The converter takes an HDMI in, s-video and r/w audio out. I have one and it works fine for the HDMI output from a set top box or TiVo. I assume it would work for the same coming from your computer. Not sure if it can overcome copy protection though. You can buy one from Amazon and if it doesn't work, return it.
post #22145 of 25858 Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM

I am trying to see if it is worth while to upgrade my 2160a to the newer 535. I really don't need more HD space since I have plenty even at 160 gb but mainly to upgrade due to the newer tuner.

Can someone who has both the the older 2160a, 513 or 515 and the newer 535 or 537 come in and tell me if you see a big improvement with the new tuner? If you do see the improvement, can you give me a more detailed on the improvement.

I just don't want to purchase the 535 and find out that it is about the same as my current 2160a but just a bigger HD (which I don't need). Thanks
post #22146 of 25858 Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBJECT: Recording Marathons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ud346 View Post

...I’d stop the recording at the end of one episode and quickly restart it so as not to miss the beginning of the next one...

To make things easier on yourself after this (when recording marathons), I'd suggest NOT stopping the machine and restarting it.

Just let it run the whole length of the marathon, and then go back and divide the recordings at the appropriate points. That way you get EVERYTHING and miss NOTHING.
+1 smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #22147 of 25858 Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

SUBJECT: Recording Marathons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Quote:

...I’d stop the recording at the end of one episode and quickly restart it so as not to miss the beginning of the next one...

To make things easier on yourself after this (when recording marathons), I'd suggest NOT stopping the machine and restarting it.

Just let it run the whole length of the marathon, and then go back and divide the recordings at the appropriate points. That way you get EVERYTHING and miss NOTHING.
+1 smile.gif

I do this all the time when I am recording a block of programs. I record them all to one large title on the HDD, and then separate individual episodes out later. This is defeinitely the way to go, in my opinion.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #22148 of 25858 Old 11-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Probably Wajo knows the answer to this question:

I am getting lockups on playback of video files, and often they won't dub to DVD-R, so I think I need to defrag the 500 GB HD I installed in my 2160A.

Does the 'HDD file delete' effectively defrag the drive, or should I do a reformat? There is no reformat option in 'General Settings' though, so how do I do that?
post #22149 of 25858 Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

I am getting lockups on playback of video files, and often they won't dub to DVD-R

Sounds like impending HD failure to me. Take it out of the 2160A, connect it to a PC, and run the HD maker's non-destructive diagnostic utility on it to find out. The easiest way is usually to burn an iso from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and boot it.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #22150 of 25858 Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I do this all the time when I am recording a block of programs. I record them all to one large title on the HDD, and then separate individual episodes out later. This is defeinitely the way to go, in my opinion.

I don’t understand about separating individual episodes. Are you doing something to the block of programs that causes individual episodes from it to appear on the HDD? Or, are you transferring individual episodes to DVD? I’d like to know how to take a large chunk on the HDD and chop it into smaller chunks which appear on the HDD. And I’d also like to take a recording and chop some minutes off of the beginning and/or end, yet keep the new shorter version on the HDD. Is this what you are doing? I hope so because I do not wish to make DVDs. Thanks in advance for your help.
post #22151 of 25858 Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 PM

I have been having the same problem with my 515 for the last month or so and it started when my cable provider installed a new reciever to their system to bring in OTA signals . . . . I talked to them and we have decided that that is where the problem is comming from. Unfortunately there is nothing they can do to make my 515 work. I do know that they have all the macrovision settings turned off, so I know my problem is not Macrovision in nature but I still get the E26 code when I try to record anything on the major networks which are being brought in through the new reciever my provider is using.
With that all being said, is there anything out there like a stabelizer or any other product that I can use to strip the CGMS code out of the signal? I am using the HDMI connection at this time but can switch to componet if necessary. If nobody knows of a fix for this problem, my 515 is just an expensive paper weight now and I am religated to using VHS for recording. frown.gif
post #22152 of 25858 Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don’t understand about separating individual episodes....I’d like to know how to take a large chunk on the HDD and chop it into smaller chunks which appear on the HDD. And I’d also like to take a recording and chop some minutes off of the beginning and/or end, yet keep the new shorter version on the HDD.

Title dividing and scene deleting are in the same menu where you select to edit the title, what you call "separating individual episodes" and "chop some minutes off". See pages 91 & following of your 515 manual.

post #22153 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

I am getting lockups on playback of video files, and often they won't dub to DVD-R, so I think I need to defrag the 500 GB HD I installed in my 2160A.

Does the 'HDD file delete' effectively defrag the drive, or should I do a reformat? There is no reformat option in 'General Settings' though, so how do I do that?

1. FIRST, I'd do a SKIP 079 STEP 1 only to check HDD and DVD connectivity. Re-seat ribbon cables if not "OK."

2. If all OK, remove the cover and physically check HDD and DVD ribbon cables for looseness or bad seating.

3. If no joy and you can afford to lose all recorded titles, do a SKIP 079 Steps 1 AND 2 (click OK on Self-Check screen).

4. If no joy, do a SKIP 013 to test the HDD for any "NG" indications.

P.S. "NG" indications in the SKIP 013 procedure do not mean you have to replace the HDD. I have a refurb'd 3575 that I received with the same symptoms as your unit... would freeze on playback of 1st three titles, could not do a SKIP 079 procedure, failed (NG) the SKIP 013 procedure, and was "slow and noisy."

I left the 1st three titles intact for awhile and no more freezing playback, then I decided to FILL the HDD with titles, Delete All, and see what happened. After the 1st fill-up, the freezing went away and, after one or two more fillups (no editing), I could do both SKIP 079 and SKIP 013 procedures without a "NG." I believe the HDD "healed itself" by forcing it to address or otherwise "use" just SOME of the many spare sectors every HDD has. Whatever, that HDD is still slow and noisy, but no operational problems anymore... and I continue to record shows on HQ and regularly fill up the HDD (non-important shows in bedroom).

post #22154 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I don’t understand about separating individual episodes. Are you doing something to the block of programs that causes individual episodes from it to appear on the HDD? Or, are you transferring individual episodes to DVD? I’d like to know how to take a large chunk on the HDD and chop it into smaller chunks which appear on the HDD. And I’d also like to take a recording and chop some minutes off of the beginning and/or end, yet keep the new shorter version on the HDD. Is this what you are doing? I hope so because I do not wish to make DVDs. Thanks in advance for your help.

See this help file for Scene Delete and Divide instructions.

post #22155 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotb9 View Post

I have been having the same problem with my 515 for the last month or so and it started when my cable provider installed a new reciever to their system to bring in OTA signals . . . . I talked to them and we have decided that that is where the problem is comming from. Unfortunately there is nothing they can do to make my 515 work. I do know that they have all the macrovision settings turned off, so I know my problem is not Macrovision in nature but I still get the E26 code when I try to record anything on the major networks which are being brought in through the new reciever my provider is using.
With that all being said, is there anything out there like a stabelizer or any other product that I can use to strip the CGMS code out of the signal? I am using the HDMI connection at this time but can switch to componet if necessary. If nobody knows of a fix for this problem, my 515 is just an expensive paper weight now and I am religated to using VHS for recording. frown.gif

If you're a cable sub., try the 515 1st on the coax. Do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) and see if you get anything with the 515's tuner w/o the box.

If you're on cable or satellite and need their box, there are filters/converters that *should* fix the problem... unless your "new box" has some "new tricks" inside! Place between the box and your 515.

post #22156 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotb9 View Post

Good day. Could you clarify a few things? When you say "new receiver" do you mean the STB in your home or at the station? How was the VCR physically connected? From your wall, does the cable feed have any analog channels and do they give the same error if you try a recording? Since it's only your local OTA channels, are your other cable channels HD or SD?
post #22157 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The situation you describe is what I sometimes experienced when I used the "Title Divide" function on my Philips 3575 or 3576. If I used Title Divide, and did not delete all the pieces at the same time, I would experience the problems you describe. I have not had the problem with my Mag 2160A, but I have always deleted all the pieces of the file at the same time, so I don't know what would have happened if I had not done the deletes that way. Since I started deleting all the pieces at the same time, I have used Title Divide on my 3576 without any observed problems. Remember that using Scene Delete is deleting a piece of a divided title.

If you have never used Title Divide, ignore this info.
If you have used Title Divide and experienced the problems with playback or dubbing to DVD, this is the fix that worked for me: First - Delete all the files on the drive to get rid of what I believe are shared blocks.
Note that before I did this I would even have problems with programs I had not used Title Divide on. I believe the process I had been using was leaving blocks that could wind up in an existing file and what I presume is a Free List. A new recording could then get the block from the free list, which would over-write the data in the block, which corrupted the older program that shared the block. Unless both programs were deleted at the same time, that block could continue to be in 2 programs, or a program and the free list. If it was in a program and the free list, the problem would be cleared if that program was deleted before the block got allocated to another program. What was actually happening is speculation on my part, but this theory is consistent with the problems I observed and I have seen reported by some others. I realize that a lot of people do not agree with me on this theory.

After I cleaned up the drive, when I record back-to-back programs that I want to separate, this is what I do:
  1. Always use Scene Delete first to remove all the commercials.
  2. Then I use Title Divide to break up the original Title into separate programs, and never use Scene Delete on any of those pieces.
  3. I rename the piece as desired.
  4. I save the pieces I want to DVDs.
  5. If I am done viewing the programs from the HDD, I then use Delete Mulltiple Titles to delete ALL of the pieces at one time. They are easy to recognize, since they all have the same Date/Time stamp.

Your results may vary, but doing this has made all of my units stable.
post #22158 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Just got my 533. I'm having an aspect ratio problem. Here is my hook up. I have a pair of rabbit ears hooked to antenna in. I use this as a backup method of recording shows when the cable goes down. I then have the cable box (scientific atlanta dvr) hooked in through s-video and audio cables to (L1) in the rear. I set the aspect ratio to 16.9. What I get on my 16:9 display is basically the 16:9 image embedded in a 4:3, but stretched to fill the screen vertically with bars and top and bottom (basically looks like a 2.35:1 image) 4:3 content is stretched to fill the 16:9 screen but may be zoomed as it doesn't appear to be distorted.

What am I doing wrong? I'm used to my panny dvd recorder ez-27 having nothing but a 4:3 image with 16:9 content embedded in that.
post #22159 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Just got my 533. I'm having an aspect ratio problem. Here is my hook up. I have a pair of rabbit ears hooked to antenna in. I use this as a backup method of recording shows when the cable goes down. I then have the cable box (scientific atlanta dvr) hooked in through s-video and audio cables to (L1) in the rear. I set the aspect ratio to 16.9. What I get on my 16:9 display is basically the 16:9 image embedded in a 4:3, but stretched to fill the screen vertically with bars and top and bottom (basically looks like a 2.35:1 image) 4:3 content is stretched to fill the 16:9 screen but may be zoomed as it doesn't appear to be distorted.

What am I doing wrong? I'm used to my panny dvd recorder ez-27 having nothing but a 4:3 image with 16:9 content embedded in that.

That is caused by your cable box, which isn't outputting a 16:9 WS pic via S-Video or Composite Yellow RCA... check your SA manual to make sure there's no WS setting or special output connection for outputting via S-Video. E.g., with SA8300HD and SARA SW, you have to send "Stretched."

If no setting, to preserve WS with your cable box, you'll need a filter/converter like one of these. There are MANY others... and many counterfeits.

I hope you try placing the 533 1st on the cable coax, do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) and see how many channels the 533 can tune by itself, including true 16:9 digital channels/programs. That won't change your current setup with S-video at all, it's just placing the Mag 1st on the coax, then the box.

If your system requires a return path to the cableco for ordering PPV/VOD or for Guide interaction, put the Mag and the box on legs of a 2-way bidrectional splitter.

post #22160 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi wajo,

I guess you have been following the TVGOS disaster. I have three units that get TVGOS over cable. They might be less friendly soon. I can say two things though. I'm glad for the nice simple reliable 515H. And I really wish Funai had added HD/DD5.1 to the 53xH series. Take care.
Joe
post #22161 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Hi wajo,

I guess you have been following the TVGOS disaster. I have three units that get TVGOS over cable. They might be less friendly soon. I can say two things though. I'm glad for the nice simple reliable 515H. And I really wish Funai had added HD/DD5.1 to the 53xH series. Take care.
Joe

Our only hope is the new "Dear Walmart" appeal .. it worked to get us the 53x Series!

However, I don't see much action there from our people, not like the first successful appeal. eek.gif

post #22162 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi wajo,
Joe

hi joe....

tvgos disaster ?? something recent on the front i'm not aware of ??

after much fiddling during the past few years, my cableco finally stopped feeding tvgos ( this was good for me, since my panny argued over various tvgos cannels )...

i ended up mixing OTA ( via splitter and filter ) and grabbing it via a CECB STB ( dtvpal ) ... after cableco stopped the feed, my panny has been rock solid with tvgos since...
although, they still haven't straightened out listing time zones for all of the channels in my area... a few are off by 3 hours... ( east coast vs west coast feeds )...

i'm sure they're gonna die at some point, but still alive and well in las vegas via OTA...

sorry for off topic...

rgds,
ron g
post #22163 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi wajo,

Joe

Joe,

Check that Dear Walmart page again... I made your timely info and request part of the main Appeal on pg 1.

post #22164 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Our only hope is the new "Dear Walmart" appeal .. it worked to get us the 53x Series!

However, I don't see much action there from our people, not like the first successful appeal.

Maybe part of the problem is you made people who see it want to hit the back button instead of straining their eyes to try to read it.

post #22165 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

hi joe....
tvgos disaster ?? something recent on the front i'm not aware of ??
sorry for off topic...
rgds,
ron g

I'll keep it short.
A screen shot from my 32EX700:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1122914/tvgos-tv-guide-on-screen-devices/1250_50#post_22564789
post #22166 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

That is caused by your cable box, which isn't outputting a 16:9 WS pic via S-Video or Composite Yellow RCA... check your SA manual to make sure there's no WS setting or special output connection for outputting via S-Video. E.g., with SA8300HD and SARA SW, you have to send "Stretched."

If no setting, to preserve WS with your cable box, you'll need a filter/converter like one of these. There are MANY others... and many counterfeits.

I hope you try placing the 533 1st on the cable coax, do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) and see how many channels the 533 can tune by itself, including true 16:9 digital channels/programs. That won't change your current setup with S-video at all, it's just placing the Mag 1st on the coax, then the box.

If your system requires a return path to the cableco for ordering PPV/VOD or for Guide interaction, put the Mag and the box on legs of a 2-way bidrectional splitter.

Its odd, though as I didn't need a converter for the panasonic dvd recorder I took out. I can force the 4:3 image by setting the TV setting on that hdmi input to 4:3. Everything is as it was on my panasonic. When viewed through the maggie now I get a 4:3 image for 4:3 content and for 16:9 content I get the correct aspect embedded in 4:3, which I can then zoom with the TV. Is this some hdmi handshaking causing conflicting settings with respect to aspect ratio???
post #22167 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Quote:

Its odd, though as I didn't need a converter for the panasonic dvd recorder I took out. I can force the 4:3 image by setting the TV setting on that hdmi input to 4:3. Everything is as it was on my panasonic. When viewed through the maggie now I get a 4:3 image for 4:3 content and for 16:9 content I get the correct aspect embedded in 4:3, which I can then zoom with the TV. Is this some hdmi handshaking causing conflicting settings with respect to aspect ratio???

You have the Mag's TV Aspect set for "16:9 Wide" and your TV set for "Wide" (or whatever its 16:9 setting is named)?

If so, true 4:3 programs will look slightly stretched, but 16:9 WS programs on digital channels will be in true 16:9..

post #22168 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:

See this help file for Scene Delete and Divide instructions.

Thank you SO much! That's gonna' keep me busy for awhile. tongue.gif
post #22169 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:

If you're a cable sub., try the 515 1st on the coax. Do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) and see if you get anything with the 515's tuner w/o the box.

If you're on cable or satellite and need their box, there are filters/converters that *should* fix the problem... unless your "new box" has some "new tricks" inside! Place between the box and your 515.

I am a cable subscriber but I do not use a cable box at all. The cable comes straight in from outside and connects right to the 515 and then I use the HDMI to the TV.
I did a AUTO CHANNEL PRESET (analog/digital) and it didn't help.
Do you think a stabilizer will still work for me? and if so, which one would you recommend me trying?

Thanks so much for your help.
post #22170 of 25858 Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Good day. Could you clarify a few things? When you say "new receiver" do you mean the STB in your home or at the station? How was the VCR physically connected? From your wall, does the cable feed have any analog channels and do they give the same error if you try a recording? Since it's only your local OTA channels, are your other cable channels HD or SD?

The receiver I was refering to is one my cable provider uses at their office (they have several that they use). They capture the OTA signals and then direct them out all over the city I live in via fiber optic cable. The fiber optic cable is then connected to a box called a "Gateway" which is connected to the outside of my house. There is a coaxial cable from the Gateway into the house which is then connected directly to my 515 and then I use a HDMI from the 515 to the TV.

The reciever in question also brings in a few other channels that I never watch so I really don't care if I can record them or not, but I do want to record CBS, NBC, and ABC which are also comming through the same reciever.

I did do a new channel search on the 515 but it didn't help.

My question is, Do you think a stabilizer will work for me? and if so, which one do you recommend I try?

Thank you so much for your help.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page