Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 769 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #23041 of 25845 Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

Those are CHAPTER moves, and chapter marks are set automatically (the default setting is 10 min.). Using the CHAPTER buttons (|<< and >>|) will only work if there's a chapter mark 10 min. ahead or back, so going to next chapter might not do anything if no chapter mark to go to. Also, going 1 chapter back can take two presses since 1st press will go back to mark for chapter you're currently in, then 2nd press will move to previous chapter.

"SKIP/REPLAY" moves are with the large toggle button on the right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23042 of 25845 Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ah ok - it must not be broken after all! Thank you sir. For some reason I changed the auto chapter to "off" not knowing how to use it and I always had been using the default which I presume is 10 minutes.

And I meant 10 minutes on clock time so that is the same as marks.

I can't test yet because the recording I made must not have the marks. I just tried the reverse to see why it was working and without marks it goes to the beginning of the recording apparently - which I may not have previously tried past the first ten minutes.

Idiot is me.

Thank You!
post #23043 of 25845 Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM

wajo - do you have a paypal account? I'm indebted to you.
post #23044 of 25845 Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #23045 of 25845 Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

No paypal... drats! smile.gif

But you do take an Amazon gift card biggrin.gif
post #23046 of 25845 Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 PM

Too bad for you! Hopefully I'm not as stupid as it appears. Most, perhaps, are using a fraction of what these units can do. For example, with these units, I've only recorded something to DVD once and I have only played DVD's a few times. For me, they are harddisk recorders (yet I still do not want a Cox or DirectTv or other box) and the 10 minute jumps/stops worked just right. 30 second skips work for me too because with 30 second jumps I often just resume at 30 seconds without backing up to the precise resumption after the commercial. I miss a lot of stuff that way but I'm probably no worse for it (you might be missing more with your 1 minute jumps!)

The Next Gen remote rig option works great but first I had to figure out how much to tape around the IR hotspot on the unit. Then I had to realize I had to also cover up the front of the remote - which might sound stupid to many! I found if I hold up a standard IR remote inches away (and off to the side) to the front of the RF rigged unit, the IR signal can still get by the taped-up unit. So I'm hoping that while I can do this in an extreme test, it will never happen in practice. I ordered one more remote so I will have two Philips remotes and four Magnavox remotes - in addition to my two Samsung remotes, and ...

I will also have all three of our favorite recorder hooked up to a Monoprice 4-port Component Video Switch because the component video works best for many analog recordings (HDMI clips and doesn't resize right). A couple days ago I printed out (I prefer reading paper despite spending 80 hours a week on the computer) about 50 pages of wajo's documentation which includes a lot of explanation on digital and analog video formats. Maybe I'll find there's an alternate method to the component video link that works. I was pleasantly surprised to find that wajo has excellent coverage on the topic of optical disk longevity which happens to be something I'm still highly interested in because, unlike DVDs, I do record and have tons of audio CDs and CD technology isn't going away for me, maybe never. Despite what they may say, optical disk technology is not going to completely disappear for a long time - at least for many of us.
post #23047 of 25845 Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil is in View Post

Too bad for you! Hopefully I'm not as stupid as it appears. Most, perhaps, are using a fraction of what these units can do. For example, with these units, I've only recorded something to DVD once and I have only played DVD's a few times. For me, they are harddisk recorders (yet I still do not want a Cox or DirectTv or other box) and the 10 minute jumps/stops worked just right. 30 second skips work for me too because with 30 second jumps I often just resume at 30 seconds without backing up to the precise resumption after the commercial. I miss a lot of stuff that way but I'm probably no worse for it (you might be missing more with your 1 minute jumps!)...

I use a 30-sec replay and for me it's one of the best features of these units - especially since unlike rewind, it works the same when paused. It's frustrating as hell to not have it on my streamer and other DVD players - they all have different rewind speeds and one wrong press takes you far away from where you're trying to get.

If 30-sec skips work best for you, that's great. I use 1 min but often hit one too many, so replay quickly gets me back to the break.

CC

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #23048 of 25845 Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Ah ok - it must not be broken after all! Thank you sir. For some reason I changed the auto chapter to "off" not knowing how to use it and I always had been using the default which I presume is 10 minutes.

And I meant 10 minutes on clock time so that is the same as marks.

I can't test yet because the recording I made must not have the marks. I just tried the reverse to see why it was working and without marks it goes to the beginning of the recording apparently - which I may not have previously tried past the first ten minutes.

Idiot is me.

Thank You!

BTW, it is usually not a ten minute skip. If you have chapters on it will skip to the next even ten minute mark which will vary depending on where you are in playback. Say you are at 49 minutes, it will skip to 50 minutes, not 59 minutes.
post #23049 of 25845 Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

BTW, it is usually not a ten minute skip. If you have chapters on it will skip to the next even ten minute mark which will vary depending on where you are in playback. Say you are at 49 minutes, it will skip to 50 minutes, not 59 minutes.

I (still) have no idea what "chapters" are, had no idea I was relying on chapter marks, explained things poorly (hence your reply), and was way slow to understand and correct my ignorance. (It's so easy to confess on the internet where all I am is "dweezil" and I have no idea what I was thinking when I became dweezil here. eek.gif )

I always expect to find stuff to record on DVDs but so much new is always coming in there isn't enough time to watch new programs let alone old ones I've already seen. I have never once caught up on watching everything I've recorded. I don't know what that feels like. The one thing I did burn was of a friend who was in England for the Olympics, in his role as a trainer/handelr for a track cyclist who barely missed getting a medal. I was the only one who captured it for him and did my first "video editing" (can I call it that) in getting as much Olympics as possible on one DVD.
post #23050 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:

I always expect to find stuff to record on DVDs but so much new is always coming in there isn't enough time to watch new programs let alone old ones I've already seen.
That is the deep, dark secret no one ever talks about -- 96% of the content archived to disk will never be watched more than once. Those disks will stay as pristine as the day they were burned -- like newly minted coins that never come out of the wrapper -- except when you pass-on, your kids would keep the coins; they'll just landfill the disks. tongue.gif
ClearToLand likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #23051 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 10
Hello. I am considering buying one of these Magnavox DVRs now that I am "cutting the cord". I went over the user's manual and the first page of this thread, but could not find the answer to this question:

When scheduling a recording for a tv show that is repeated (every day/week etc)., is it possible to set it up so that only the last x number of episodes are kept? I currently have U-Verse, and this is a very useful option to avoid running out of space on the hard drive; when scheduling a series recording, there is an option called "keep last __ episodes", and that's it, once you reach that number, the oldest ones start getting deleted automatically to make room for the new ones.

I would appreciate your comments. Thanks!
post #23052 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroc View Post

Hello. I am considering buying one of these Magnavox DVRs now that I am "cutting the cord". I went over the user's manual and the first page of this thread, but could not find the answer to this question:

When scheduling a recording for a tv show that is repeated (every day/week etc)., is it possible to set it up so that only the last x number of episodes are kept? I currently have U-Verse, and this is a very useful option to avoid running out of space on the hard drive; when scheduling a series recording, there is an option called "keep last __ episodes", and that's it, once you reach that number, the oldest ones start getting deleted automatically to make room for the new ones.

Unfortunately, the Mag just adds titles as they're recorded, so the first-recorded show is 1st in the Title List. No other way to customize/manage title layout. You can pre-title timer recordings so they have title, day, date, time etc. plus the live index pic for ident. You can also move between titles with the arrow keys and between pages of titles with the NEXT/PREV (chapter) keys.

You have to do your own title deleting, either individually or multiple titles at one time.

mauroc likes this.
post #23053 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroc View Post

How many hours of content do you want to save? With a 535H and recording at max quality, that's 100 hours. If you're a collector there is an offload ability to DVD. Most people don't use max quality and it still looks good. Since everything is converted to 480i, the show you are watching isn't relative. Conversion to 1080p for playback is very good.
mauroc likes this.
post #23054 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

That is the deep, dark secret no one ever talks about -- 96% of the content archived to disk will never be watched more than once. Those disks will stay as pristine as the day they were burned -- like newly minted coins that never come out of the wrapper -- except when you pass-on, your kids would keep the coins; they'll just landfill the disks. tongue.gif

Once per person, I agree. But my recordings are watched by several family members and friends at various times. And since I myself rarely watch a new show until it survives at least one season, archiving in some form is a must. (I may make an exception for Zero Hour - it looked pretty good while I was editing it - although my watching it prematurely would most likely be the kiss of death!)

I recorded 9 seasons of NCIS before I started watching, and now my wife got hooked on it and is watching all those DVD's again. Some of the series I've recorded will never be watched, but that seems like a small price to pay to preserve the option if they prove worthwhile - especially now that I archive to NAS where I can recover the storage space after watching or discarding. Pushing Daisies is a good example - I never thought it would appeal to me, but now I wish I had made the effort to record it just in case...

CC

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #23055 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1
post #23056 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

+1
+2 redface.gif but truthfully I haven't even watched 1/2 my DVDs even once, well unless you count the first time when I recorded them.......
When I converted my video tapes to DVD this was the first time most of the tapes had ever been played.......I always have hopes of watching things I record but truthfully hardly ever find the time frown.gif
post #23057 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

- especially now that I archive to NAS where I can recover the storage space after watching or discarding.
That's the key -- congrats. smile.gif
I'm currently collecting 12 series this season to watch over the summer or whenever. I have 14TB on-line and am more than willing to flush the dogs and series I know we'll never watch more than once -- too much new stuff all the time.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #23058 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
TOTALLY off topic question.

I shall ask it anyway.

Is it true, as I recall reading somewhere, that the human eye really can't tell the difference "between 720 and 1080", or is it "between 1080 and higher" I'm thinking of?
post #23059 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

It will only pass HD thru the untuned coax in/out circuit, so you need a HD tuner on the receiving end. The internal splitter downconverts the signal going thru the tuner or line inputs since those can be recorded.

I guess I don't quite buy that - If it can up convert to 1080p, then why would it not pass 1080p from it's tuner right out the HDMI when used ONLY as a tuner. Seems a real deficiency to me. If so, then it's worthless for my application, since the SD DVR capabilty is merely "cute".
post #23060 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymoose View Post

I guess I don't quite buy that - If it can up convert to 1080p, then why would it not pass 1080p from it's tuner right out the HDMI when used ONLY as a tuner. Seems a real deficiency to me. If so, then it's worthless for my application, since the SD DVR capabilty is merely "cute".
That's how it works. There are several HD DVR units for sale right now. They will work as tuners also.
post #23061 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

That's how it works. There are several HD DVR units for sale right now. They will work as tuners also.

So, please clarify - "That's how it works" - which way - HD tuner output as full HD out or down converted to 480, then upped to 1080????? Thanks!
post #23062 of 25845 Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, please clarify - "That's how it works" - which way - HD tuner output as full HD out or down converted to 480, then upped to 1080????? Thanks!
These are DVD recorders and DVD is 480i. Everything that comes out of the tuner section is 480i. The tuner most likely feeds the encoder the transport stream and the encoder does the rescaling to 480i (or lower) and the compression to meet the selected recording mode. The output of the encoder is spooled to the hard disk and distributed to the outputs as the user commands.

So nothing ever goes directly from tuner to output. Everything is spooled to the HDD first (called auto record buffer) in the specified recording mode and "played" off the HDD. That recording mode is never higher than 480i. So if you are looking for an HD tuner, this is not it. The 1080 upconversion on the back-end is just a gimmick, like it is on most budget electronics; your display's scaler will most likely do a much better job at scaling a 480i signal to its native resolution.

So hopefully that is clear -- the output of this box is strictly SD, like a CECB.
PaulDra likes this.

- kelson h

post #23063 of 25845 Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I saw "why" and figured that was your question even though the sentence didn't end with a question mark. Kelson has explained the logic. Good luck hunting for an HD tuner.
post #23064 of 25845 Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Is it true, as I recall reading somewhere, that the human eye really can't tell the difference "between 720 and 1080", or is it "between 1080 and higher" I'm thinking of?

It really depends on the eyes, viewing distance, and TV size. At a sane viewing distance, probably few can tell the difference on a 24" 1080 TV. Probably anyone who can read a newspaper can tell the difference on an 84" TV, as long as the full capability of each resolution is actually being used by the program material.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #23065 of 25845 Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

If you are watching a 32" screen from 8' back that is true. It depends on many factors of which viewing distance and sharpness of the display are primary. Optimal perpendicular viewing distance to get the full effect of the resolution is 1.5-2 X the diagonal width of the screen. Closer than that and you start seeing the screen-door pixels of the display; further than that and you are less and less able to tell the difference between 1080 and lower resolutions. For for a 50" screen we are talking 6-8' -- from my experience 8' is pushing it. Then there is the display. Plasma tends to be tack sharp while many LCD's are "soft" to help hide the motion blur effects. If you have the kind of soft display where you can put your nose on the screen and not see the pixel screen door, you won't see a difference between 720 and 1080 and will never get the full effect of a good BluRay.

- kelson h

post #23066 of 25845 Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 81
i like these types of charts. I haven't done the data collection

But it supports the distance/resolution/screen size argument smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1416475/viewing-distance-chart-720p-vs-1080p-vs-4k-vs-8k-and-beyond/0_40
post #23067 of 25845 Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

biggrin.gif

Lower Walmart prices: $229.98, $239.98, $279.98.

biggrin.gif

post #23068 of 25845 Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Lower Walmart prices: $229.98, $239.98, $279.98.

biggrin.gif
Still no reviews for the TiVo series. That's strange.
post #23069 of 25845 Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
SUBJECT: OT - Green Thumbs
  1. Quote:

2. Quote:

Quote:

+1
  3. Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Quote:

+1
    +2 redface.gif but truthfully I haven't even watched 1/2 my DVDs even once, well unless you count the first time when I recorded them.......
    When I converted my video tapes to DVD this was the first time most of the tapes had ever been played.......I always have hopes of watching things I record but truthfully hardly ever find the time frown.gif
A few months ago, I switched from giving +1s and +2s to IMHO useful posts, to using the new forum's software GREEN THUMB (supposedly more along the lines of FW and SD). I gave Kelson the FIRST THUMBS UP to QUOTE #1. But, AFAICT, AVS's version is:
  1. *RARELY* used by other members.
  2. Fairly *USELESS* since it:
    1. Initially displays "+N"
      and
    2. "See who thought this was helpful." when hovering
      and
    3. when you finally CLICK on the Drop-Down, Simply displays "N user(s) thought this was helpful."
      *TOTALLY USELESS*, IMHO! tongue.gif
    What a waste of time! tongue.gif Tom, Dick and Harry found this post useful?!? rolleyes.gif

Has anyone looked into this further on the "AVS Forum Feedback", IIRC, forum? rolleyes.gif I noticed today that "someone" gave Wajo a "THUMBS UP", so, possibly "someone else" has decided to use this new feature. But, BOTTOM LINE, IMHO, if it doesn't list Member IDs, I'd rather use +1 and +2. wink.gif

jjeff,

IMHO, you're usually pretty current on how the AVS Forum works - any comments / feedback? confused.gif

Thanks! smile.gif
JoeKustra likes this.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #23070 of 25845 Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
SUBJECT: Magnavox DVDR OUTPUT vs SPECIFIED RECORDING MODE...
Quote:

These are DVD recorders and DVD is 480i. Everything that comes out of the tuner section is 480i. The tuner most likely feeds the encoder the transport stream and the encoder does the rescaling to 480i (or lower) and the compression to meet the selected recording mode. The output of the encoder is spooled to the hard disk and distributed to the outputs as the user commands.

So nothing ever goes directly from tuner to output. Everything is spooled to the HDD first (called auto record buffer) in the specified recording mode and "played" off the HDD. That recording mode is never higher than 480i...

...So hopefully that is clear -- the output of this box is strictly SD, like a CECB.
I'm sorry Kelson, but, although I agree with, and have benefited from cool.gif, the MAJORITY of your posts, IME, you are *INCORRECT* here. frown.gif
  • YES:The MAXIMUM Resolution out of the Magnavox DVDRs is 480i.
  • NO: The output from the tuner is *INDEPENDENT* of the specified recording mode.
For over a year now I've been feeding the S-Video Output of three of my Magnavox DVDRs (CBS, NBC, ABC) daily to three ReplayTVs recording @ MED, while the Magnavox DVDRs are recording @ SLP. The S-Video (and probably COMPOSITE, COMPONENT and HDMI - cannot confirm this) outputs recorded by the ReplayTVs are *MUCH* better than the SLP recordings played back from the Magnavox DVDRs - probably HQ, but *DEFINITELY* independent of the specified recording mode. smile.gif

So, YES - all of the OUTPUTs from the Magnavox DVDRs are 480i. *BUT*, IME, they DO NOT depend on the specified recording mode. frown.gif

As an "Aside" to other forum readers, you should definitely choose *WHICH* UPSCALER you prefer:
  1. The Magnavox DVDR
    or
  2. Your HDTV
Personally, I chose 720p OUT from the Magnavox DVDR into my Panasonic TC-L32S3 HDTV (720p) so the Magnavox does the UPSCALING, while my HDTV just displays what it receives. You want to keep the number of "Scalings" to a minimum *AND* choose whether the Magnavox DVDR *OR* your HDTV "Scales" better (i.e. Upscaling Magnavox 480i to 1080i feeding a 720p HDTV is *NOT* going to produce a better result).

BOTTOM LINE: Ignore what you read on various forums and let *YOUR* eyes decide what looks best to *YOU*! biggrin.gif (i.e. 60 years PLUS eyes see *MUCH* differently than 40 years MINUS eyes. frown.gif
. P.S. to Kelson (Click to show)
Sorry for the *OVER* formatting, but, you know from history, that's just the way I post...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page