Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 839 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #25141 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Whose STB? You posted you don't have one.

I had the TWC one when they first converted. Should I infer from your question that an STB could possibly unscramble the feed? I never heard of anyone being able to use a TV or recorder tuner through a STB...

CC

The purpose of a STB (converter box) is to unscramble the feed. Nearly everything I record, averaging more than 150 DVDs per month, is recorded by DVD Recorders or HDD/DVD Recorders fed by outputs of Motorola DCX3200 and DCH700 converter boxes or a Roku 2XS internet converter box.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25142 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The purpose of a STB (converter box) is to unscramble the feed. Nearly everything I record, averaging more than 150 DVDs per month, is recorded by DVD Recorders or HDD/DVD Recorders fed by outputs of Motorola DCX3200 and DCH700 converter boxes or a Roku 2XS internet converter box.

Cool - do those boxes work with any cable? So I could just throw one in the basement in front of my booster and watch/record all digital channels? Somehow that sounds too good to be true...

Thanks,
CC

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #25143 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Cool - do those boxes work with any cable? So I could just throw one in the basement in front of my booster and watch/record all digital channels? Somehow that sounds too good to be true...

In the USA cable company converter boxes are not sold to the public. They are rented or leased to cable customers and remain the property of the cable company. If one finds a cable company converter box for sale it is most likely stolen property. Cable companies will not activate stolen converter boxes.

Roku products stream internet content through your internet provider. Most content requires payment of a fee or a paid subscription.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #25144 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Thanks,
CC

It's true. Just not free. Here are the steps for my cable company (www.secv.com) at this time.

Decide what service you want: http://www.secv.com/cdocs/channel_sun.pdf

Determine what you are willing to pay for: http://www.secv.com/cdocs/rate_card_sun.pdf

Be sure the STB box you will get has active RWY for the Magnavox. My old RNG110 had ONLY RWY extra outputs that followed (mirrowed) the normal HDMI output. NO rf output.

Call your local office and place the order.

BTW, my clear QAM channels: http://www.secv.com/cdocs/qam_hazl.pdf

I no longer receive analog stations. My first DTA is free, an HD DTA is not free. I get basic cable (USA, TNT, locals) in HD, internet at 5 up, 1 down, and two cable cards for $106/month.

post #25145 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's true. Just not free. Here are the steps for my cable company (www.secv.com) at this time.

Decide what service you want: http://www.secv.com/cdocs/channel_sun.pdf

Determine what you are willing to pay for: http://www.secv.com/cdocs/rate_card_sun.pdf

Be sure the STB box you will get has active RWY for the Magnavox. My old RNG110 had ONLY RWY extra outputs that followed (mirrowed) the normal HDMI output. NO rf output.

Call your local office and place the order.

BTW, my clear QAM channels: http://www.secv.com/cdocs/qam_hazl.pdf

I no longer receive analog stations. My first DTA is free, an HD DTA is not free. I get basic cable (USA, TNT, locals) in HD, internet at 5 up, 1 down, and two cable cards for $106/month.

Thanks Joe - great info - When Comcast takes over I'll research their options - hopefully I'll find others using that kind of setup.

And I suppose it's possible that a Comcast subscription would get me full-episode streaming privileges on more channels than TWC does. Sure would be great to cut the cable altogether though...

CC

CC

post #25146 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks,
CC

Could you just "throw one in the basement"? Maybe someone should explicitly mention that when you use a cable box or other STB, the STB is doing all the tuning, and your recorder would have to use the STB's A/V output or tune the STB's fixed modulated output (on channel 3 or wherever).
post #25147 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

Could you just "throw one in the basement"? Maybe someone should explicitly mention that when you use a cable box or other STB, the STB is doing all the tuning, and your recorder would have to use the STB's A/V output or tune the STB's fixed modulated output (on channel 3 or wherever).

Exactly what I thought, but Joe has given me renewed hope!

CC

CC

post #25148 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CC

What model digital TV do you have? I ask because you keep mentioning rf cable. My STB had no rf output. I use two TiVos as STB.

post #25149 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:

CC
Did you really understand what L David Matheny just wrote? An STB does not go in the basement like some device that will service all your connected devices. It goes next to the TV you connect it to and becomes the tuner for your cable channels. It only plays one channel at a time. I don't think Joe is trying to imply otherwise.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25150 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^

That is correct. I worry he has analog TV sets and has never connected the cable feed directly to the TV and scanned for digital channels. I still feel he will lose analog before Comcast buys TWC anyhow.

post #25151 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What model digital TV do you have? I ask because you keep mentioning rf cable. My STB had no rf output. I use two TiVos as STB.

Not sure why it matters, but an old 2009 Sharp Aquos LCD - and yes, it's attached to raw cable co-ax as are the 3 Funai recorders...

[Edit] - Slight correction - the Sharp is getting the pass-through cable signal from the 515... Oh, and FWIW the 3576 and 2160A are connected to an old 1999-ish analog TV used only for editing - one on composite, one on component...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Did you really understand what L David Matheny just wrote? An STB does not go in the basement like some device that will service all your connected devices. It goes next to the TV you connect it to and becomes the tuner for your cable channels. It only plays one channel at a time. I don't think Joe is trying to imply otherwise.

OK then I'm confused - if the recorders can't tune the channels as they do now, what's the point of a STB at all? It's not like I'm going to rent 3 STB's and spend all night changing channels at exactly the right time. Hell, I wouldn't even be able to record the local digital channels like I do now without setting the STB. (Oh, wait - that's not quite true - I could still run in the raw cable or antenna co-ax along with composite from the STB) Or maybe some STBs can do timed channel changes? But it's already a hassle keeping the Funai clocks accurate much less trying to sync with another device...

CC

CC

post #25152 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^^
That is correct. I worry he has analog TV sets and has never connected the cable feed directly to the TV and scanned for digital channels. I still feel he will lose analog before Comcast buys TWC anyhow.

Sorry, I posted before I saw yours. Why would you think that TWC would be giving me unscrambled digital channels? TWC changes channels frequently - do you seriously think with 3 Funai recorders I have never done the scan???

CC

CC

post #25153 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure why it matters, but an old 2009 Sharp Aquos LCD - and yes, it's attached to raw cable co-ax as are the 3 Funai recorders...

[Edit] - Slight correction - the Sharp is getting the pass-through cable signal from the 515... Oh, and FWIW the 3576 and 2160A are connected to an old 1999-ish analog TV used only for editing - one on composite, one on component...
OK then I'm confused - if the recorders can't tune the channels as they do now, what's the point of a STB at all? It's not like I'm going to rent 3 STB's and spend all night changing channels at exactly the right time. Hell, I wouldn't even be able to record the local digital channels like I do now without setting the STB. (Oh, wait - that's not quite true - I could still run in the raw cable or antenna co-ax along with composite from the STB) Or maybe some STBs can do timed channel changes? But it's already a hassle keeping the Funai clocks accurate much less trying to sync with another device...

CC

Cable 101: A station (I don't know your zip code), like WHIO, transmits on channel 41 physical. It probably sends a raw fiber feed to your cable company or they use an antenna. If TWC does NOT strip the PSIP you will see it on channel 7.1 and 7.2 without a box. If they strip the PSIP you will receive it on whatever channel your headend sends it on - from 2 to 125.

The STB has two jobs. It must take the rf signal for WHIO and send it along as a pretty channel, like 7 or 12. If the rf is scrambled, it will decode the channel also. The TWC feed can send WHIO as 7 (analog), 107 (SD) and 507 (HD). It depends what you pay for.

Yes, one STB for each TV if the RF is encoded or you just like even numbers.

There are ways to help the Funai clock. I have a 100pF capacitor across my crystal and gain about 1 second per week. This has been posted. My 515H has its own rf input and I use it to record basic cable SD digital channels when needed. It varies.

post #25154 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I posted before I saw yours. Why would you think that TWC would be giving me unscrambled digital channels? TWC changes channels frequently - do you seriously think with 3 Funai recorders I have never done the scan???

CC

I like a second opinion, like from a TV. No offense intended.

post #25155 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like a second opinion, like from a TV. No offense intended.

No offense taken, but who cares if the TV can tune them? Other than news, I only watch TV that's been recorded and edited on the Funai's.

But to answer your question, the TV scan doesn't get unscrambled non-local stations either. I'm confused why you think it might - is there a TWC subscriber out there somewhere receiving an unscrambled cable feed? But then TWC isn't even the problem - is there a COMCAST subscriber out there somewhere receiving an unscrambled cable feed, even for analog?

CC

CC

post #25156 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No offense taken, but who cares if the TV can tune them? Other than news, I only watch TV that's been recorded and edited on the Funai's.

But to answer your question, the TV scan doesn't get unscrambled non-local stations either. I'm confused why you think it might - is there a TWC subscriber out there somewhere receiving an unscrambled cable feed? But then TWC isn't even the problem - is there a COMCAST subscriber out there somewhere receiving an unscrambled cable feed, even for analog?

CC

I think there is a Comcast and TWC cable thread. I can't get a list of who HAS clear QAM, but here's a list (post 2) of people who have LOST clear QAM and bothered to report it. The thread has gone rouge so I don't find it helpful anymore.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475637/are-all-your-qam-channels-scrambled/0_50

I stopped thinking about analog around 2008. I actually get 5 channels in analog with color test patterns.

Under HDTV recorder forum there is a thread about TWC - 18k posts. Since Comcast and TWC do not overlap, comparison may be hard.

I misspoke before: Comcast has bought TWC. They're waiting for DOJ and FCC to give the ok. $45.2B

post #25157 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:

CC

I'm in Charlotte, nc area. TWC channels 2 thru 99 are analog. 100 and above are digital and scrambled except for the locals which are clear qam. Of course the 100 and over are the numbers shown by a cable box. The clear QAM are in the 70's and 80s when you tune with one of the Funai boxes.
post #25158 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think there is a Comcast and TWC cable thread. I can't get a list of who HAS clear QAM, but here's a list (post 2) of people who have LOST clear QAM and bothered to report it. The thread has gone rouge so I don't find it helpful anymore.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475637/are-all-your-qam-channels-scrambled/0_50

I stopped thinking about analog around 2008. I actually get 5 channels in analog with color test patterns.

Under HDTV recorder forum there is a thread about TWC - 18k posts. Since Comcast and TWC do not overlap, comparison may be hard.

I misspoke before: Comcast has bought TWC. They're waiting for DOJ and FCC to give the ok. $45.2B

Well we seem to be talking past each other so maybe I should start over (despite my frustration I really do appreciate your input).

Now, with TWC, I can tune and record all basic cable channels in analog. I can also tune and record local channels in digital, but that's irrelevant because I can get those OTA or from websites. Forget whether analog is "good enough" - it's better than nothing and it's all I've got for those channels. I know you seem to think that I should be getting them unscrambled in digital too, but even if I was it's irrelevant - I'm only concerned with what I'll get from Comcast, which I'm pretty sure will be ZERO unscrambled channels, either analog or digital, except maybe locals which don't matter.

Sure, I would probably lose unscrambled analog eventually with TWC too. The issue isn't WHY I lose them, just what my options are WHEN I lose them. So the question boils down to this - once all non-local channels are scrambled, is there any practical way to continue recording cable TV on the Funai's? I thought your earlier post outlined a way, but now I'm not so sure...

Thanks,

CC

CC

post #25159 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

I'm in Charlotte, nc area. TWC channels 2 thru 99 are analog. 100 and above are digital and scrambled except for the locals which are clear qam. Of course the 100 and over are the numbers shown by a cable box. The clear QAM are in the 70's and 80s when you tune with one of the Funai boxes.

Sounds pretty much the same - 2-99 (with some gaps) analog, except the Funai's see digital at 3.n, 5.n, 8.n etc.

So what's your plan for Comcast?

CC

CC

post #25160 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well we seem to be talking past each other so maybe I should start over (despite my frustration I really do appreciate your input).

Now, with TWC, I can tune and record all basic cable channels in analog. I can also tune and record local channels in digital, but that's irrelevant because I can get those OTA or from websites. Forget whether analog is "good enough" - it's better than nothing and it's all I've got for those channels. I know you seem to think that I should be getting them unscrambled in digital too, but even if I was it's irrelevant - I'm only concerned with what I'll get from Comcast, which I'm pretty sure will be ZERO unscrambled channels, either analog or digital, except maybe locals which don't matter.

Sure, I would probably lose unscrambled analog eventually with TWC too. The issue isn't WHY I lose them, just what my options are WHEN I lose them. So the question boils down to this - once all non-local channels are scrambled, is there any practical way to continue recording cable TV on the Funai's? I thought your earlier post outlined a way, but now I'm not so sure...

Thanks,

CC

Easy. You need a STB for the Funai doing the recording, and the digital service (perhaps) for the channels you desire. The STB needs an output that matches the Funai input. You then tune the STB to the channel to be recorded and set the Funai timer. Before losing all analog I lost the analog basic high end, like TNT. 

post #25161 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Easy. You need a STB for the Funai doing the recording, and the digital service (perhaps) for the channels you desire. The STB needs an output that matches the Funai input. You then tune the STB to the channel to be recorded and set the Funai timer. Before losing all analog I lost the analog basic high end, like TNT. 

Ha - easy for you maybe - even if I was at home, running around the house to change channels on 3 STB's at precisely 10PM hardly fits my definition of "practical". But thanks for the suggestion...

CC

CC

post #25162 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha - easy for you maybe - even if I was at home, running around the house to change channels on 3 STB's at precisely 10PM hardly fits my definition of "practical". But thanks for the suggestion...

CC

I understand. Tuesday, starting 2/25, will be a challenge since I want to record Person of Interest, Justified, Perception and Mind Games - all at 10pm. But each TiVo has two tuners and I still use my Sony DHG for this kind of overflow, sometimes the 515H. It depends on the audio since there are still HD programs in stereo. Have a nice night.

post #25163 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Tuesday, starting 2/25, will be a challenge since I want to record Person of Interest, Justified, Perception and Mind Games - all at 10pm.
This kind of thing is why FTA satellite has been nice since long before the advent of multiple tuner boxes. If I was into Mind Games I could record it at 22:00, 23:00 and 01:00 the same way it reaches ABC affiliates. More often than not I record CBS's new Person of Interest episodes at both 22:00 eastern (720x480 @160min/4.7GB) and 01:00 eastern (720x480 @170min/4.7GB). This way I can dub 4 episodes per DVD, all @160 if they fit, and as many @170 as necessary to get 4 on the DVD, sometimes by coupling part of an episode recorded 160 with the balance in 170. In contrast, Funai's 150min/4.7GB SPP mode isn't compressed enough to fit 4 per DVD, while quality of its (544x480?) 180min/4.7GB LP mode loses significantly more quality than necessary to get 4 to fit.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25164 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand. Tuesday, starting 2/25, will be a challenge since I want to record Person of Interest, Justified, Perception and Mind Games - all at 10pm. But each TiVo has two tuners and I still use my Sony DHG for this kind of overflow, sometimes the 515H. It depends on the audio since there are still HD programs in stereo. Have a nice night.

Fortunately I get a Justified replay at 1AM so no problem. But lately some shows have been running a few seconds past the hour so even if my clock setting is exact I cut it off - Parks & Rec for one...

CC

CC

post #25165 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

lately some shows have been running a few seconds past the hour so even if my clock setting is exact I cut it off - Parks & Rec for one...
Lately, not! This has been going on here and there for years now. One can see in program schedules many shows start at xx:01 or xx:31 instead of xx:00. Couple that with commercials airing up to a minute or two before the actual program conclusion that doesn't actually finish until less than 60 seconds remain before next program start it becomes evident services care more about sponsors than viewers, which in practical effect means making time shifting of complete programs back to back inconvenient, if not impossible without using a complex and inordinate amount of equipment.

post #25166 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

Lately, not! This has been going on here and there for years now. One can see in program schedules many shows start at xx:01 or xx:31 instead of xx:00. Couple that with commercials airing up to a minute or two before the actual program conclusion that doesn't actually finish until less than 60 seconds remain before next program start it becomes evident services care more about sponsors than viewers, which in practical effect means making time shifting of complete programs back to back inconvenient, if not impossible without using a complex and inordinate amount of equipment.

At least many still have a "next episode" preview at the end - I don't mind if they get cut off. And some like Arrow have their "opening" before the actual show starts - I cut those out anyway. CBS is pretty good, where the "stay tuned for scenes from our next episode" gives plenty of cushion at the end. (and they're the only major left that transitions into commercials so you can get clean breaks after HSD). OTOH there are those TNT reruns where the next show starts in a small window while the credits from the previous show are still scrolling...

CC

CC

post #25167 of 26745 Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TNT reruns where the next show starts in a small window while the credits from the previous show are still scrolling...
For that reason (plus black backgrounds behind its ad overlays more effectively blocking the program), I rarely even look to see what TNT has on, and same for a few other channels doing "siamese" start before finish that I used to watch and/or record. Since the last new episode of The Closer aired, I've only watched 3, maybe 4, of the debut episodes of any of its new series, and recorded nothing from it except Major Crimes and King & Maxwell. It may "know drama", but it also knows how to get me to look elsewhere for something to watch.

post #25168 of 26745 Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

For that reason (plus black backgrounds behind its ad overlays more effectively blocking the program), I rarely even look to see what TNT has on, and same for a few other channels doing "siamese" start before finish that I used to watch and/or record. Since the last new episode of The Closer aired, I've only watched 3, maybe 4, of the debut episodes of any of its new series, and recorded nothing from it except Major Crimes and King & Maxwell. It may "know drama", but it also knows how to get me to look elsewhere for something to watch.

Ha - Siamese start - I may have to steal that term from you...

I think those are the only two TNT shows I do too, now that Leverage is over - I'm glad MC is surviving - and if you catch the initial airing you can get a pretty clean recording. At least they're not defaced by news crawls and weather maps like the majors...

CC

CC

post #25169 of 26745 Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:

Sounds pretty much the same - 2-99 (with some gaps) analog, except the Funai's see digital at 3.n, 5.n, 8.n etc.

So what's your plan for Comcast?

CC

If it passes government approval which will be this fall at the earliest, nothing will really change for least a couple of years. TWC has no internet data caps, Comcast does; that is really my only concern.
post #25170 of 26745 Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 150

Mohu Antennas for OTA... UPDATE 7/29/15!

Resource for finding YOUR local OTA channels via Zip Code/Address:
TVFool.com

For cable-TV and satellite prisoners who are thinking of "cutting the cord," there are so many antennas to choose from and recommendations, it can be mind-boggling. This is my cord-cutting experience in a difficult signal location.

I've been thinking of cutting the cord, so I picked up a Mohu Leaf Ultimate omnidirectional flat antenna from my local Sam's Club for $49... might also be found in your local Walmart store. This model has its own amp and a 50-mile range for UHF and 20-mile range for VHF. Mohu has another omnidirectional antenna called the Sky ($149.99) with its own amp and 60/45-mile range, designed for roof-top or attic install. I also got one of those from Walmart online for the same price.

They're easy to test since they're quite small and light and come completely assembled... just add the separate amp/cable that comes with them. Being available at a Walmart store or online is a bonus... ship to home or store and return to store.

My Location

I'm in a single-story house with basement, equidistant between two DMAs with transmitters south and north of me. LOS to the south has one 1200' mountain, and tall trees.LOS to north is similar, with an added ridge in between.

TVFool identifies 38 OTA channels/subchannels within physical range of my location, 45-60 miles to the towers, 23 channels from south, 15 channels from north. I receive 27 channels through my Leaf and all 38 with my Sky antenna. Those channels include low-powered NBC to the south (20KW) & north (48KW). My reception includes 6 ION channels which my wife/CFO loves... it has a main channel with recent-series and not-so-old movies, "Life" channel, cartoon/animal/learning channel, and 3 SHOPPING CHANNELS (SHOP, QVC, HSN)!

The location of my Leaf antenna is unusual,,, taped to a basement window. As many are prone to say here, "that'll never work (so don't even try it)!" I started with my Sky antenna screwed into the brick exterior near the same basement window, essentially at ground level, eventually moving it to the peak of my roof.

View South from Basement Window & Ground-Level Antenna Installations
Attachment 295594 Attachment 295602

Mohu Leaf Ultimate (Indoor, Amplified, Omnidirectional)

I tested the Leaf first to feed one of my three upstairs TVs connected via RG59 coax with no splitters. The Leaf comes with its own amp and a 16' coax. Of course, this antenna and amp go inside the house.

I taped the Leaf on a south-facing window in my BASEMENT where my old cable TV line enters the house. It's just a small opening at ground level thru concrete block and brick siding... NO LOS TO NORTH!

Since the basement window faces south, I was hoping the Leaf would capture the southern DMA directly, while the 2-story vinyl-sided house next door (~50' away) would bounce the northern signals back toward my window. Otherwise, there's ~70' of my house blocking the north LOS from the basement!

Surprise! With the Leaf and using only the Mohu amp, I got 27 channels, 21 direct from south and 6 bounced from north... from basement window with no LOS to north!!!

Mohu Leaf Ultimate - Inside On South-Facing Basement Window Feeding Single TV thru ~50' Coax, No Splitters, 27 Channels in Summer (Full-Leaf) ... (that's Xmas lights hanging down)
Click image for larger version

Name:	MohuUltimate-1.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	212097 Click image for larger version

Name:	MohuUltimate-2.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	212105

Mohu Sky (Attic or Outdoor, Amplified, Omnidirectional)

The Sky comes with its own amp and a 30' coax that has a waterproof boot on one end for connecting to the antenna. I didn't use Mohu's coax since I was able to use the ~35' of the cableco's RG6 coax that goes into my house at the basement window. Of course, the Mohu amp connects to that coax inside the house.

I tested the Sky to see if it could feed my two main upstairs TVs and eliminate the Leaf on one TV (see above). The Sky worked for all those two TVs through two 2-way splitters and ~150' of existing RG59 coax inside the house.

I first tried the right side of my house, ground-level, next to an aluminum downspout on that side, near the basement window where the Leaf is installed. It got all my expected channels except signal strength fluctuated on some of them.

Mohu Sky - Outside on South-Facing Wall At Ground Level, Right Side, Feeding 2 TVs thru ~150' Coax & 2 splitters, 38 channels in Summer (Full-Leaf)

Name:	Mohu Sky Right-1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	230145 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mohu Sky Right-2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	230153

I finally got some installation help and got the Sky moved up to the peak of my roof on that south-facing wall. Unfortunately, that made things worse than when installed at ground level. Until I can move the Sky back down to its better ground-level position (for which I'll need help again), I was forced to go back to the Leaf antenna on the basement window, where I get good signal strength on all my important network channels... esp. ABC which broadcasts my wife/CFO's Soap.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ModuSky-1.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	212137   Click image for larger version

Name:	MohuSky-2.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	212145  

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; 07-29-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page