Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 855 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #25621 of 26022 Old 06-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

In your testing of ch 35, if it doesn't work to keep the time, make sure you first Delete DTV ch. 2 (duplicate) before giving up on 35. Of course, you could just do the 11:57 Procedure with 35 and 2 in place, then 35 without 2, to see in advance if one scenario or the other will work,

I did not know I could have more than one channel set under MANUAL. When I went to Settings>Clock>Auto Clock Setting>DTV>Channel it just gives me the option to enter one channel only and I entered 35. I tested this setting a couple of ways. First after setting the channel to 35 I did the 11:57 and it worked fine, it changed the time to current. Then I powered on, went back into settings, and confirmed that 35 was still the channel selected (instead of 2) and it was. It is now 1 pm Houston time and at the noon time check all worked well. The machine powered off as it is supposed to and the time was accurate.

Of interest perhaps, the 515 (the oldest Mag I have) does not change the viewing channel after a noon/midnight time check, i.e., if I have the Mag set to view channel 11 upon powering up (the last channel viewed with the Mag's own tuner) even though the 515 checks channel 2 at noon, channel 11 remains as the viewing channel upon powering up later. The other 3 machines, all 53X, change the viewing channel to whatever channel I have them set to under the clock setting process, i.e, if I left a machine at channel 11 at 10 am, then upon powering at 1 pm the viewing channel will be 2, not 11. Different FWs I guess... The purpose of this diatribe is to mention that the 535 I am testing channel 35 on apparently checks 35 ok but the viewing channel remains at 2. There is no way of entering 35 directly for viewing purposes (it reverts to 2) but I can enter 35 for clock setting at it stays at 35.

So at the moment all is working as it is supposed to. Time will tell if channel 35 allows the machine to always power off or if the intermittent problem returns....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25622 of 26022 Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcpu View Post

Quote:

In your testing of ch 35, if it doesn't work to keep the time, make sure you first Delete DTV ch. 2 (duplicate) before giving up on 35. Of course, you could just do the 11:57 Procedure with 35 and 2 in place, then 35 without 2, to see in advance if one scenario or the other will work,

I did not know I could have more than one channel set under MANUAL. When I went to Settings>Clock>Auto Clock Setting>DTV>Channel it just gives me the option to enter one channel only and I entered 35. I tested this setting a couple of ways. First after setting the channel to 35 I did the 11:57 and it worked fine, it changed the time to current. Then I powered on, went back into settings, and confirmed that 35 was still the channel selected (instead of 2) and it was. It is now 1 pm Houston time and at the noon time check all worked well. The machine powered off as it is supposed to and the time was accurate.

Of interest perhaps, the 515 (the oldest Mag I have) does not change the viewing channel after a noon/midnight time check, i.e., if I have the Mag set to view channel 11 upon powering up (the last channel viewed with the Mag's own tuner) even though the 515 checks channel 2 at noon, channel 11 remains as the viewing channel upon powering up later. The other 3 machines, all 53X, change the viewing channel to whatever channel I have them set to under the clock setting process, i.e, if I left a machine at channel 11 at 10 am, then upon powering at 1 pm the viewing channel will be 2, not 11. Different FWs I guess... The purpose of this diatribe is to mention that the 535 I am testing channel 35 on apparently checks 35 ok but the viewing channel remains at 2. There is no way of entering 35 directly for viewing purposes (it reverts to 2) but I can enter 35 for clock setting at it stays at 35.

So at the moment all is working as it is supposed to. Time will tell if channel 35 allows the machine to always power off or if the intermittent problem returns....

Good news.

You can't have more than one channel entered in the MANUAL menu, I just meant to check them individually if no joy with 35.

You should "experiment" with Deleting DTV 2 and adding DTV 35, then set a short timer program for NBC on DTV 35. That will be the desired end result... only ONE channel for that NBC station, rather than duplicates which often cause problems like blanking both channels unexpectedly, OR MAYBE CAUSING AUTO CLOCK OPS PROBLEMS!? :) 

See this help file for some info on tuning interference, which I think might have played a part in your Auto Clock channel-checking problem.

Of course, if this works, you'll have to repeat the process on your other machines.

post #25623 of 26022 Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:

You should "experiment" with Deleting DTV 2 and adding DTV 35, then set a short timer program for NBC on DTV 35. That will be the desired end result... only ONE channel for that NBC station, rather than duplicates which often cause problems like blanking both channels unexpectedly, OR MAYBE CAUSING AUTO CLOCK OPS PROBLEMS!? :) 

See this help file for some info on tuning interference, which I think might have played a part in your Auto Clock channel-checking problem.

Of course, if this works, you'll have to repeat the process on your other machines.

As you suggested I programmed a short 10 minute program for Channel 35.1 and it recorded the NBC feed (DTV 2.1 station) with no problems. I also took a look at your link, lots of info there but one thing that caught my eye was the following:

The "Map-Your-Own" Solution for OTA & Cable TV
• Don't use CH+/- to tune a duplicate channel you want to DELETE in the Manual Channel Preset menu. Instead, while in that menu, tune to a different channel in same tuner, then direct-enter the number you want to delete.

So to experiment I went to Manual Channel Preset and manually entered 2 and deleted it. Then I manually entered 35 and added it which automatically went to channel 2 with the correct feed. Just to be sure I deleted channel 3 (by manually entering the #). 3 is a different station from a close by city (Bryan) but it is also an NBC feed. Doubt this would cause any problems since they are different stations but just to be sure....  I also looked through the channels that had been auto preset before - no duplicates there but 2 were blank so I manually deleted those. We'll see if this makes a difference but it may take a while before I know. I will not change the other machines to set clock on channel 35 until I have some confidence that it is working on this one.

Thanks again... ;)

post #25624 of 26022 Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

If no one gives info on a known good channel there, try the 11:57 Procedure with FOX DTV channel first, then CBS, ABC, NBC DTV channels if no joy.
Doh! I already forgot that my model doesn't include auto time for DTV. I nearly forgot there was such a thing as analog television.

--
(this space for rent)
post #25625 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Well, I have bad news... The Channel 35 setting did not work. This morning the Mag in question (535) was on after its midnight time check. The Mag appears ok on the front but if I get close to it I can hear the fan and hard disk running and that is how I know it is on. Also if I place my hand by the fan I can feel heat blowing out and the rear area around the fan is pretty warm - warmer than when it has been off for a couple of hours. If I then power on and off with the button on the front the Mag shuts off completely and all sounds go away. When I powered on the level/pitch of the sound stayed the same so it appears that in addition to the fan the hard disk also stays on. So when this happens I am perhaps reducing the life of the machine by having the fan, hdd, etc. on until I manually power it off and I am also wasting electricity.

As I mentioned the other 2 Mags have "learned" somehow and while they both did this pretty regularly for quite a while they seldom do it now. This is hard for me as an engineer to understand. The new Mag is set identically to the others, just in a different room. Today both of the older ones (a 515 and a 533) were normal (set to channel 2).

As I mentioned I have tried a hard reset (skip 123). I guess I could rescan the channels but I doubt this would work. I have tried all the major channels for clock setting (fox, abc, cbs, pbs and nbc) with no luck. Unless someone has a another suggestion I can either wait and see or just turn the clock to auto off and reset clock manually ever so often.

post #25626 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have the 515 and set my clock manually.
It gains approx 1 minute after about 30 days, so I usually reset it.
Not a big deal to me, but may be pita to others
post #25627 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Bummer!

I assume you made sure DTV 35 was still in the MANUAL menu.

If so, I'd Add back DTV ch. 2 to channel memory and see if that keeps the 535 "happy" and out of trouble.

I was hoping to keep the machine from involving its PSIP data to move from the physical channel (35) to the virtual channel (2), but maybe instructing the Auto Clock search to start physically at 35 (because it's entered in the menu) will help?

However, since you've tried other major nets that don't switch from their physical RF channel to a diff. channel, this might not be the answer, but it's worth a try.

P.S. Does this problem happen at both the 12-noon and 12-midnight search times?

post #25628 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 AM

My comments in red below....

Quote:

Bummer!

I assume you made sure DTV 35 was still in the MANUAL menu.  I just checked and 35 was still on but I now reset it 2.

If so, I'd Add back DTV ch. 2 to channel memory and see if that keeps the 535 "happy" and out of trouble. I had removed 2 from channel memory (manually by punching in 2, not by + - ) but I added it back on and it was on channel memory at midnight last night.

I was hoping to keep the machine from involving its PSIP data to move from the physical channel (35) to the virtual channel (2), but maybe instructing the Auto Clock search to start physically at 35 (because it's entered in the menu) will help? I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you elaborate...

However, since you've tried other major nets that don't switch from their physical RF channel to a diff. channel, this might not be the answer, but it's worth a try. I switched to channel 13 (ABC) for a while and it went about 2 weeks without a mishap so I was getting hopeful but then it started again with 13 on the time check.

P.S. Does this problem happen at both the 12-noon and 12-midnight search times? Don't know but I will try to check. My guess is that it happens more at midnight but it is only a guess. As I mentioned, once this happens it will not power off at the next time check, i.e., if at midnight the machine does not shut off and I leave it as is then at the noon check it does not shut off either. Once it "does not shut off" the only way to shut it off is manually by either the front panel on/off or the remote. On the other 2 Mags the problem has essentially gone away and I hardly check them anymore because they are almost always off. However they both use to do it regularly. This was particularly annoying on the 533 in the bedroom but not anymore. Maybe the 535 (the newest machine at about 6 months old) will "learn" also. Very strange....

Should I rescan the channels, do another hard or soft reset (I have never done a soft one), unplug for several hours and start all over ????

Or I can just ignore.... At this point it is a bit more of a quest than a serious difficulty.

post #25629 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Seems refurbs are already showing up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-MDR537H-F7-1TB-HDD-DVD-Recorder-with-Built-In-Digital-Tuner-/141072041501?pt=DVD_Players_Recorders&hash=item20d 88c861d

EDIT:
Please ignore this. I did a search for the 557, and it turned out this results was for the 537.

Last edited by gastrof; 06-12-2014 at 07:22 AM.
post #25630 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I was hoping to keep the machine from involving its PSIP data to move from the physical channel (35) to the virtual channel (2), but maybe instructing the Auto Clock search to start physically at 35 (because it's entered in the menu) will help?

I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you elaborate..

Yes, since that NBC channel is actually broadcasting on RF physical channel 35, but it contains Program and System Info Protocol (PSIP) data that places it in virtual channel 2, I was hoping that we could restrict the time search to that physical ch. 35.

My idea (quest) now is to see if keeping 35 in the Auto Clock menu and adding DTV ch 2 back in memory might have a positive effect?

Quote:
However, since you've tried other major nets that don't switch from their physical RF channel to a diff. channel, this might not be the answer, but it's worth a try.

I switched to channel 13 (ABC) for a while and it went about 2 weeks without a mishap so I was getting hopeful but then it started again with 13 on the time check.

DTV ch 2 and DTV 13 are both in the VHF range of channel frequencies, so there's still hope that they might not be as "solid" a source as a UHF channel, but that is just a SWAG (Scientific Wild Add Guess).

Quote:

P.S. Does this problem happen at both the 12-noon and 12-midnight search times? Don't know but I will try to check. My guess is that it happens more at midnight but it is only a guess. As I mentioned, once this happens it will not power off at the next time check, i.e., if at midnight the machine does not shut off and I leave it as is then at the noon check it does not shut off either. Once it "does not shut off" the only way to shut it off is manually by either the front panel on/off or the remote. On the other 2 Mags the problem has essentially gone away and I hardly check them anymore because they are almost always off. However they both use to do it regularly. This was particularly annoying on the 533 in the bedroom but not anymore. Maybe the 535 (the newest machine at about 6 months old) will "learn" also. Very strange....

Should I rescan the channels, do another hard or soft reset (I have never done a soft one), unplug for several hours and start all over ????

Or I can just ignore.... At this point it is a bit more of a quest than a serious difficulty.

I asked when it occurred because there's an easy way to eliminate one of the time searches... set a 5-minute Mon-Sat timer rec program to cover the time for one of the searches.

You really don't need twice-a-day time searches at all, esp. since a full Auto Clock search (ie., not set for a single channel) can run into rogue signals and screw things up. Once a week might do the job OK, also reducing the occurrence of Auto Clock problems.

These are just thoughts for your "quest"... and I really like quests!

post #25631 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 107

So what are the odds the CBS, ABC, and Fox all have their physical and virtual channel the same in Houston? Only NBC uses a different virtual channel.

post #25632 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Regarding your first quote above:

Thanks, I now understand....

You said: "My idea (quest) now is to see if keeping 35 in the Auto Clock menu and adding DTV ch 2 back in memory might have a positive effect?".

That is exactly how I had it set up yesterday evening but it did not work at midnight as I mentioned.

Regarding your second quote:

I had tried ch 26 which is Fox and transmits on actual and virtual 26 but it did not work either. I live North of Houston (The Woodlands) and in Houston there is an antenna farm located South in Missouri City. The farm is 42 miles as the crow flies from my house. I have a ClearStream 4 on the roof and a CS 5 in the attic coupled together as per CS directions. I had to get a compass bearing from my house to the antenna farm and point the antenna at that heading. With this setup I get very good reception on nearly all channels with the exception of Fox 26 which occasionally comes in a little pixelated.  Bad weather has some impact on the lower VHFs (8 and 11) but virtual 2 i.e., physical 35 is always great, strong signal bad weather and all so that is why I had it selected. I could try CW 39 which comes in on a different physical, 38 as I recall, but since it is not a major network not sure of their time signal. Doubt this will make a difference.

Regarding your third quote:

Once a week would do the job but I would have all of those 5 min programs to delete on a regular basis and they would show up consecutively on the recorded menu. I think I rather live with the problem as is.

BTW the noon time check went ok.... will keep an eye and will keep "questing"....  :rolleyes:

Regarding JoeKustra's comments (quote): "So what are the odds the CBS, ABC, and Fox all have their physical and virtual channel the same in Houston? Only NBC uses a different virtual channel."

CBS, ABC and Fox indeed have their physical and virtual the same. NBC does not but there are others also that do not (not major networks) CW 39 on 38, ION 49 on 32, UPN 20 on 19, etc.

All suggestions appreciated...

post #25633 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

Regarding JoeKustra's comments (quote): "So what are the odds the CBS, ABC, and Fox all have their physical and virtual channel the same in Houston? Only NBC uses a different virtual channel."

CBS, ABC and Fox indeed have their physical and virtual the same. NBC does not but there are others also that do not (not major networks) CW 39 on 38, ION 49 on 32, UPN 20 on 19, etc.

All suggestions appreciated...

All digital stations are supposed to supply a PSIP which is where the time is found. Few do it right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_and_System_Information_Protocol

post #25634 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

How about deleting ION? That network caused some stability problems for another DVR and, even tho it might be their Air Box channels that cause the problem, it's another straw to grasp.

Also, you can use the 11:57 Procedure to see if that UHF CW channel has a good time signal... just look the call signs up on Wiki to make sure you're tuning the physical channel for any others you try.

post #25635 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 263

They want too much. Newegg has the 537 refurb for $215.
post #25636 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Have deleted ION on problem 535 but not expecting success.

Let me summarize from a logical perspective (dangerous).

I have four Mags. By purchase date (all bought at Walmart.com - just checked the dates)

1) a 515, 4/10/2012

2) a 535, 9/25/2012

3) a 533, 10/16/2012

4) a 535, 11/27/2013

Problem history:

All Mags fed OTA signal from a single antenna set so other than different cable runs they all see the same signal.

1) 515 now 2+ years old, started out with the "staying on" problem on a cycle of maybe once every 2 weeks but now almost never stays on after a time check. Problem is a non-issue for me now.

2) 535 now 1.75 years old, started out the same, got better with time, but problem never went away in the 1.25 years it was connected, machine boxed up in Nov 2013 as a spare.

3) 533 now 1.75 years old, started out the same but now almost never stays on. Problem is a non-issue for me now.

4) 535 7 months old, started out a little worse perhaps, on every week or so and has continued the same, not much improvement with time although I have gone 2 weeks with no problems.

All are set to Channel 2 (physical 35) for time signal. Other channels were tried on all with no success while they were having the problem.

Let me ignore the oldest 535 (boxed up). I only have one problem machine at the moment.

The 533 and the last 535 (problem) do not have the same FW. Per Skip 123:

The 533 has HD6A012900L1E while the 535 with problem has HD6A013200L1E

Could this be the cause?

If it is the cause why did the 533 do it in the beginning and not now?

All are set to channel 2 (35) for time signal. If its a channel time signal problem why are the 515 and 533 not doing it and while the 535 is?

If the new 535 has a defect, why did the other 3 also manifest the same problem at least for a while?

Is the solution to wait for another year until the new 535 ages to the current age of 533 ?

Don't know how the electronics turn the machine on and off for time check. Is there a solenoid type switch? Could the switch be sticking? Does it need break-in time like a pair shoes?

A mystery waiting to be solved.... I may never know the answer but in a world with real problems this one is just curiosity.  :eek:

post #25637 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Let me ignore the oldest 535 (boxed up). I only have one problem machine at the moment.

The 533 and the last 535 (problem) do not have the same FW. Per Skip 123:

The 533 has HD6A012900L1E while the 535 with problem has HD6A013200L1E

Could this be the cause?

If it is the cause why did the 533 do it in the beginning and not now?

YES!

The OEM FW for the three 53x models was the same as your 533 shows.

I believe your 535 has later FW that no one (?) has posted on here before?

That difference *could* be playing a part.

post #25638 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

They want too much. Newegg has the 537 refurb for $215.

DRAT!

I'd been doing a search for 557s! Misread the results!
post #25639 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

DRAT!
I hate when that happens. tongue.gif
post #25640 of 26022 Old 06-10-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGeek View Post

Are you in the Twin Cities, MN?
These channel mappings that the stations are doing right and left mix up the Magnavox recording.
I had to unmap 45, at the time the news rebroadcast was still on 45.5.
Then in recording 5.1 -> 5.1, 45.3 -> 5.3, 45.4 -> 5.4 and 45.45 -> 5.45 where "recorder channel" -> "viewing channel".

The Magnavox does not like having a multiple RF channels with the same digital major channel number. But Fox, TPT and Hubbard are all doing it. The trick is to unmap the RF channel then when recording instead of saying the digital channel major number, put in the RF channel number, i.e. RF.Minor instead of Major.Minor. There are regional over the air sections on AVS where people can help you figure out the RF channels for the various digital stations. It is a pain but there is a work around for it.

I registered just to thank you for this post.  I am in the twin cities and this did the trick for me for channel 5.  I was thinking the unit was defective.  Now I just have to figure out 2.1 and I'm good to go.  Thanks for the information! 

post #25641 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I right that nobody who frequents this forum has purchased a 557?
post #25642 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Am I right that nobody who frequents this forum has purchased a 557?
A similar question was asked in this thread about a week ago...no one replied.
Funai's decision to drop the 2.5/3hr.recording modes may have doomed this model,at least amongst DVDR enthusiasts.

Last edited by greaser; 06-12-2014 at 10:57 AM.
post #25643 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Playlist (Virtual) Editing Added to 557!

I should have HIGHLIGHTED one of the 557's most-significant new features: PLAYLIST EDITING.

I added it to the list on the 1st 557 page in this thread.

post #25644 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

[B]Playlist (Virtual) Editing Added to 557!

I should have HIGHLIGHTED one of the 557's most-significant new features: PLAYLIST EDITING.
The soup's too thin Wajo.None of the new features added to the 557,including this "significant" new feature can even come close to making up for the loss of the 2.5/3hr.recording modes IMO.
post #25645 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will the adapter offered by Comcast allow me to receive and record programming on the Magnavox while watching other programming through the cable box?

Comcast recently encrypted the channels in my locale. My Magnavox is now finding only one or two stations.

My setup is Wajo's Number 3: Cable line INTO Mag. Mag OUT to Cable Box. Mag HDMI to TV HDMI. Cable Box OUT to TV HDMI.

Comcast agents are telling me different things as to whether I qualify for a free adapter. I have one standard definition box, the clamshell, connected to a standard definition TV; there is another HD box to which the Mag is connected. Assuming that I do qualify for the freebie, will it actually help me?

My goal is simply to receive on the Mag my local CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and public televisions stations, and record those stations while watching TBS, ESPN and other cable channels through the cable box. (Anything else -- more channels, program guide information, ON Demand -- is a happy bonus) A previous Mag/Cable Box setup allowed the Mag to record all of the cable channels but meant that it recorded the channel that was being watched. Thus, an itchy remote control finger means I miss Billy Cundiff missing a fourth quarter field goal in New England.

When I visit the Comcast office tomorrow, I should ask for the HD as opposed to the SD adapter? Is there a post on this thread that explains how to connect the adapter vis-a-vis the Mag?

Thanks for your expertise.
post #25646 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxloco View Post
Will the adapter offered by Comcast allow me to receive and record programming on the Magnavox while watching other programming through the cable box?

Comcast recently encrypted the channels in my locale. My Magnavox is now finding only one or two stations.
A previous Mag/Cable Box setup allowed the Mag to record all of the cable channels but meant that it recorded the channel that was being watched.
If it is the same HD DTA that I just received you are stuck with whatever channel is on the adapter. I have set mine up with the HDMI going from HD DTA to TV and coax going to the Magnavox and then the HDMI going from Mag to TV. I have yet to see any actual HD channels from the HD DTA, but your mileage may vary. I have seen digital sub-channels and SD versions of channels. (One annoying thing was turning off my TV via the remote for my TV also reset the channel on the HD DTA, so recording that one night was ruined - so I have to set that aside.) I did record a digital sub-channel last week (and will do so again tonight) and it didn't look as bad as I feared it would.
post #25647 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
If it is the same HD DTA that I just received you are stuck with whatever channel is on the adapter. I have set mine up with the HDMI going from HD DTA to TV and coax going to the Magnavox and then the HDMI going from Mag to TV. I have yet to see any actual HD channels from the HD DTA, but your mileage may vary. I have seen digital sub-channels and SD versions of channels. (One annoying thing was turning off my TV via the remote for my TV also reset the channel on the HD DTA, so recording that one night was ruined - so I have to set that aside.) I did record a digital sub-channel last week (and will do so again tonight) and it didn't look as bad as I feared it would.
nottenst, we are almost neighbors, Hon.

As it stands now, ("now" meaning encrypted without any kind of Comcast supplied adapter,) I am receiving:
26.4, a version of WETA;
109.6 , TV Guide Network
116.2, color bars
116.12, Weather Channel - weatherscan

Interestingly (at least I think it's interesting) the Mag's auto tuner is picking up some other channels and letting me know they are scrambled.

I suppose what is frustrating about this is that the principle -- record one program while watching another -- is as old and settled as the VCR, and yet I'm not able to do it? What's more, I'm not able to do it even though I am a subscriber to one of Comcast's HD packages? This seems regressive.

Then again, I'm not very familiar with the technological issues or with the legal/economics issues that prompted the change. All I know is that I am a paying and reasonably content customer, but now....

nottenst, I'll try your setup sometime tomorrow.
post #25648 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
nI suppose what is frustrating about this is that the principle -- record one program while watching another -- is as old and settled as the VCR, and yet I'm not able to do it? What's more, I'm not able to do it even though I am a subscriber to one of Comcast's HD packages? This seems regressive.
It seems that the only technology they want you to be able to use to record one program while watching another is the cablecard. Otherwise they want you to use one adapter per channel per device.

Quote:
Then again, I'm not very familiar with the technological issues or with the legal/economics issues that prompted the change. All I know is that I am a paying and reasonably content customer, but now....
The FCC page which says "why allow encryption" is here. There is another thread that discusses the scrambling at Are All Your QAM Channels Scrambled?
post #25649 of 26022 Old 06-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Isn't it amazing how every forum software "upgrade" gets more annoying. Page numbers are now down to 3 to choose from from whatever they were, 6 maybe? 8?

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25650 of 26022 Old 06-13-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My parents have Time Warner Cable, and a couple days ago they called us and told us that we would no longer be receiving some of our channels because we needed some sort of digital adapter thing.

They had been using one of the Magnavox models in this thread (in fact, this thread is how they found out about the Magnavox product, as they wanted to be able to record from the TV, and they needed something with a tuner to do that...as they had no cable box).

Two days ago they lost The Weather Channel along with other channels, so they went to Time Warner to get this adapter thing. They were talked into getting a set top box instead. They claimed the rates would lower, etc.

So they got this set top box thing (Scientific Atlanta 4250hdc) with absolutely no instructions on how to hook it up with a DVD player or anything other than just with the TV. They are elderly, and they do not know anything about hooking it up.

They tried to look at the diagrams/instructions early on in this thread, but they are completely confused.

All they want to do is hook up the TV, the set top box, and the Magnavox. They also want to be able to watch DVDs through the Magnavox (and record from it), but they're not sure how that will work with the set top box.

Can someone please help? Thanks.

I should note that before this mandatory addition of the adapter or set top box, they had the Magnavox hooked up directly to their TV via the HDMI connection. Everything was perfect until Time Warner changed things.

Currently, they have the HDMI connected from the TV to the set top box, and they do not have the Magnavox connected to anything.

Last edited by Baby Bunny; 06-13-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page