Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 856 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #25651 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Bunny View Post
My parents have Time Warner Cable, and a couple days ago they called us and told us that we would no longer be receiving some of our channels because we needed some sort of digital adapter thing.

They had been using one of the Magnavox models in this thread (in fact, this thread is how they found out about the Magnavox product, as they wanted to be able to record from the TV, and they needed something with a tuner to do that...as they had no cable box).

Two days ago they lost The Weather Channel along with other channels, so they went to Time Warner to get this adapter thing. They were talked into getting a set top box instead. They claimed the rates would lower, etc.

So they got this set top box thing (Scientific Atlanta 4250hdc) with absolutely no instructions on how to hook it up with a DVD player or anything other than just with the TV. They are elderly, and they do not know anything about hooking it up.

They tried to look at the diagrams/instructions early on in this thread, but they are completely confused.

All they want to do is hook up the TV, the set top box, and the Magnavox. They also want to be able to watch DVDs through the Magnavox (and record from it), but they're not sure how that will work with the set top box.

Can someone please help? Thanks.

I should note that before this mandatory addition of the adapter or set top box, they had the Magnavox hooked up directly to their TV via the HDMI connection. Everything was perfect until Time Warner changed things.

Currently, they have the HDMI connected from the TV to the set top box, and they do not have the Magnavox connected to anything.
They will need to run composite cables (red, white and yellow) from the set top box to the Magnavox. Then as before, an HDMI cable from the Magnavox to the TV (assuming the TV has a couple of HDMI in connections. The composite cables come with the Magnovox so hopefully they still have them around.

Once they get it wired up, they will have to learn how to switch inputs on the TV between the set top box and the Magnavox depending on what they want to view, i.e., a DVD on the Magnavox or live TV.

Also, as noted in some posts just prior to yours, they will only be able to record the channel that is on the set top box.

As a final note, if they can afford it, a lot of people who just want to time shift or watch one channel while recording another, would be much better off renting the cable company DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25652 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Isn't it amazing how every forum software "upgrade" gets more annoying. Page numbers are now down to 3 to choose from from whatever they were, 6 maybe? 8?
I really liked the 100 post/page setting of the Huddler software. The 40 post/page max of the current VBulletin software is disappointing. Anyway, word is they are promising to bring back the "Retro" skin which would be a big plus for me.

What they have given us now is what we had 3 yr ago before Huddler bought AVS and transitioned to their proprietary software. The only problem is that VBulletin has updated itself over the last 3 yr and so the current build looks foreign to all us old-timers.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25653 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
They will need to run composite cables (red, white and yellow) from the set top box to the Magnavox. Then as before, an HDMI cable from the Magnavox to the TV (assuming the TV has a couple of HDMI in connections. The composite cables come with the Magnovox so hopefully they still have them around.

Once they get it wired up, they will have to learn how to switch inputs on the TV between the set top box and the Magnavox depending on what they want to view, i.e., a DVD on the Magnavox or live TV.

Also, as noted in some posts just prior to yours, they will only be able to record the channel that is on the set top box.

As a final note, if they can afford it, a lot of people who just want to time shift or watch one channel while recording another, would be much better off renting the cable company DVR.
Thank you very much

I spoke with them and they said that the TV has two HDMI in connection spaces, so that should work.

The other problem they are facing is that the remote for the set box suddenly stopped working for the set box, although it works for the TV. It worked fine the day they connected the set box to the TV, but it no longer responds to it. They have no idea what's causing that, and it isn't the batteries in the remote.
post #25654 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much

I spoke with them and they said that the TV has two HDMI in connection spaces, so that should work.

The other problem they are facing is that the remote for the set box suddenly stopped working for the set box, although it works for the TV. It worked fine the day they connected the set box to the TV, but it no longer responds to it. They have no idea what's causing that, and it isn't the batteries in the remote.
The remote will have component buttons at the top, e.g., TV, set top box, DVD. They've probably pressed the TV button and now it will only control the TV. When they want to control the set top box, they need to press that button first. They should normally leave it that way and use that remote to only control the set top box. They'll most likely have to use the TV's own separate remote to change inputs when they want to watch something off the Magnavox.
post #25655 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
It probably won't. The Scientific Atlanta 4250hdc probably does as most cable boxes do and disable the composite output you connect to the Mag when the SA's HDMI output is connected to the TV. With that box they would probably need to disconnect the HDMI out from the cable box when they want to receive anything from it on the Mag. To get around this one way is to get an HDMI to composite converter and a 2-way HDMI splitter, sending one output from the splitter to the TV, the other to the converter, feed the converter output to the Mag, and feed the Mag's HDMI out to the TV. Doing this convoluted method also means the composite out from the cable box won't be used, which you probably don't want unless using an old analog CRT TV, because HD programs will always be letterboxed, and SD programs will often be double boxed.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25656 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
The remote will have component buttons at the top, e.g., TV, set top box, DVD. They've probably pressed the TV button and now it will only control the TV. When they want to control the set top box, they need to press that button first. They should normally leave it that way and use that remote to only control the set top box. They'll most likely have to use the TV's own separate remote to change inputs when they want to watch something off the Magnavox.
What they did was go to Time Warner and they just got a different remote. Yes, I think what you described is probably what happened...they got it set up to the TV so that it only controlled the TV.

Part of the problem, I think, is that Time Warner didn't tell them that the remote was already programed for the set top box....so they probably messed it up playing with it.

This time when they stopped into Time Warner it wasn't busy, so the employee had time to tell them that it was already programmed to work with the set top box. They decided that they would just leave it as is, and they wouldn't try to program it for anything else. They don't mind using three remotes

And, yes, they did figure out about the input button, switching between HDMI 1 and HDMI 2
post #25657 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
It probably won't. The Scientific Atlanta 4250hdc probably does as most cable boxes do and disable the composite output you connect to the Mag when the SA's HDMI output is connected to the TV. With that box they would probably need to disconnect the HDMI out from the cable box when they want to receive anything from it on the Mag. To get around this one way is to get an HDMI to composite converter and a 2-way HDMI splitter, sending one output from the splitter to the TV, the other to the converter, feed the converter output to the Mag, and feed the Mag's HDMI out to the TV. Doing this convoluted method also means the composite out from the cable box won't be used, which you probably don't want unless using an old analog CRT TV, because HD programs will always be letterboxed, and SD programs will often be double boxed.
Hmmm...would this be if they were recording something off of the TV?

Because they can watch DVDs on it now (they tested it).

It is true that they just get a gray screen on the Mag when a DVD is not loaded.

So if they tried to record something now, would it just record the gray? Or could they be watching something on the cable and have the Mag record whatever is displayed on the channel they are watching?
post #25658 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmmm...would this be if they were recording something off of the TV?

Because they can watch DVDs on it now (they tested it).

It is true that they just get a gray screen on the Mag when a DVD is not loaded.

So if they tried to record something now, would it just record the gray? Or could they be watching something on the cable and have the Mag record whatever is displayed on the channel they are watching?
Recording on the Mag requires some kind of input. A DVD plays because in constitutes an input. On most cable boxes, connecting the HDMI output to anything disables the video output on its yellow composite output. That would most likely be why there is only gray when the DVD is stopped. With all cable channels encrypted, to be able to record a different channel from the one being watched on the TV via HDMI cable from cable box requires either a second cable box for the Mag, or a substitute that uses a cable card.

post #25659 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Twice since the forum "upgrade", and never before that I can remember, clicking a button here has caused the browser to crash.

post #25660 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Twice since the forum "upgrade", and never before that I can remember, clicking a button here has caused the browser to crash.
Which browser?
post #25661 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post
Which browser?
Same as I've been using for all the years I've been signed up here, one from the several listed at http://geckoisgecko.org/ currently Version rv29.0 Build ID: 20140428215651, not newer because a newer release does not exist for Linux.

post #25662 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Recording on the Mag requires some kind of input. A DVD plays because in constitutes an input. On most cable boxes, connecting the HDMI output to anything disables the video output on its yellow composite output. That would most likely be why there is only gray when the DVD is stopped. With all cable channels encrypted, to be able to record a different channel from the one being watched on the TV via HDMI cable from cable box requires either a second cable box for the Mag, or a substitute that uses a cable card.
Okay, so with the current setup, could my parents record a channel they were currently watching on the cable to the Mag? Or would they have to bypass the composite connection, setting things up the way that mrmazda suggested?

What I'm asking is what would be recorded if they chose the current setup -- would it be the gray screen that would be recorded, or would it allow actual recording from the channel they were watching on the cable?

And if they used the setup that mrmazda suggested, what would change?

I don't think my parents are concerned with being able to watch something on one channel while recording on another channel, so the inability to do this isn't an issue.

They would like to know whether or not they will be able to record from a cable channel that they are watching, and they also would be interested in knowing whether or not timed recordings would work.
post #25663 of 25743 Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay, so with the current setup, could my parents record a channel they were currently watching on the cable to the Mag? Or would they have to bypass the composite connection, setting things up the way that mrmazda suggested?
Bypassing the HDMI would be required, not bypassing composite, unless the two accessory components previously mentioned were interposed.

Quote:
What I'm asking is what would be recorded if they chose the current setup -- would it be the gray screen that would be recorded, or would it allow actual recording from the channel they were watching on the cable?
As long as the HDMI from the cable box is connected to something, the only output from the yellow cable box composite output will be black or gray.

Quote:
And if they used the setup that mrmazda suggested, what would change?
"That" what?

Quote:
I don't think my parents are concerned with being able to watch something on one channel while recording on another channel, so the inability to do this isn't an issue.

They would like to know whether or not they will be able to record from a cable channel that they are watching, and they also would be interested in knowing whether or not timed recordings would work.
Timed recordings from cable box require some synchronization effort, making sure the Mag records the correct input at the correct time, and that the cable box is on the right channel, and on many channels also that the cable box has been accessed via remote sometime between within ~3+ hours before the program ends, else some small portion of the program may be missing around when 3 hours from last access occurred.

Another way to go I forgot to mention is using the component outputs from cable box to TV instead of HDMI. That way the composite out to the Mag should remain functional. Many people cannot tell much if any difference between TV connected to HDMI vs. component, particularly those with tired old eyes.

post #25664 of 25743 Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Bypassing the HDMI would be required, not bypassing composite, unless the two accessory components previously mentioned were interposed.

As long as the HDMI from the cable box is connected to something, the only output from the yellow cable box composite output will be black or gray.
Okay -- so changing the connection would be required to record anything at all? Otherwise, all it would record is the gray screen?

Quote:
"That" what?
mrmazda wrote this earlier:

Quote:
Timed recordings from cable box require some synchronization effort, making sure the Mag records the correct input at the correct time, and that the cable box is on the right channel, and on many channels also that the cable box has been accessed via remote sometime between within ~3+ hours before the program ends, else some small portion of the program may be missing around when 3 hours from last access occurred.

Another way to go I forgot to mention is using the component outputs from cable box to TV instead of HDMI. That way the composite out to the Mag should remain functional. Many people cannot tell much if any difference between TV connected to HDMI vs. component, particularly those with tired old eyes.
So doing this would enable them to record off the cable to the Mag instead of recording just gray?
post #25665 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This might interest some of you Comcast subscribers. (You may bypass my prattle and read the highlighted portion instead)

In an effort to workaround Comcast's recent encryption, I make a trip to their office and acquire an HD-DTA as well as a new HD Box. (The agent behind the counter informs me that many people are having problems with their boxes since the encryption. She seems to imply that encryption isn't my problem; the box is.)

So, I arrive home and connect the HD-DTA; it doesn't work.
What's more, my old HD cable box is barely working (Error S0a00 -- time is correct, program guide info shows up, but no actual programming. HARUMPH)
I then try the NEW HD cable box -- same error message but worse results: correct time but the guide lists only four channels and no program information.

I then decide to pretend that I never even heard of a Magnavox 2160. I plug the line from the wall directly into the old box... then the new box... then the HD-DTA. Nada. HARUMPH.

So, I put everything back they way it was: Wajo's Configurarion Number 3: Cable line from wall into Mag, Mag out into Cable In; HDMI from Mag to TV; HDMI from Cable to TV. (It worked beautifully for five years.)

For three days I use rabbit ears as I await the Comcast technician.

The techcian arrives, detects a weak signal in the house, and problem with the box receiving an IP.

We take the Mag out of the picture and plug the line directly into the old box. Huzzah! Picture...but no On Demand.

We then try the new box. After tightening a few things outside the house and replacing the old line we finally get On Demand.

I then inform the technician that I would like to connect the cable line into the Mag so that I can record one of the three unencrypted channels I am still receiving. He hems and haws a bit, intimating that a problem might be that the line going directly into the Mag may have been diverting information from the cable box and that the box's five year struggle for input may have caused it to finally wear down/burn out.

Well, my family member wants her Eastenders (available on an unencrypted channel that the Mag is still able to recognize), and so I plug the line into the Mag...and things are working, (save for On Demand which never worked under this configuration)

The tech leaves.

A minute later the lights on the new box dim and am left with no picture.

I frantically disconnect the line from the Mag and connect it directly into the new cable box. Black screen. No guide, no nuttin'. HARUMPH.

About forty minutes later the same technician returns. He is able to "reset" the box. He explains to me how he tried to nudge me into not reconnecting the line directly into the Mag. He seems to think that the Mag/Cable Box connection might no longer be compatible since Comcast began encrypting in my area a week ago. He explains that X-Box owners who connect directly into the the X-Box are also experiencing cable box problems.

For five years I had the line feed directly into the Mag without problems. Today I had problems in less than five minutes.

Is this a coincidence?
Did I have one box die from old age and one new box that is already buggy?
Has encryption caused a compatibility issue with the Mag and the cable box(es)?

As it stands now, I'm too afraid to rock the boat. I'll leave the line going directly into the cable box. Perhaps I'll make the Mag a slave to the cable box. HARUMPH. Or maybe I'll make the Mag a master to a rabbit ear's antenna and satisfy myself with watching Cable programming through the cable box and recording with the Mag poorly received local OTA channels.

Hopefully my ordeal isn't an omen of things to come.

Last edited by Lxloco; 06-17-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Poor spilling, worser grammar; and bad punctuation?
post #25666 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxloco View Post
This might interest some of you Comcast subscribers. (You may bypass my prattle and read the highlighted portion instead)

[snip

About forty minutes later the same technician returns.He is able to "reset" the box. He explains to me how he tried to nudge me into not reconnecting the line directly into the Mag. He seemed to think that the Mag/Cable Box was connection might no longer be compatible since Comcast began encrypting in my area a week ago.

For five years I had the line feed directly into the Mag without problems. Today I had problems in less than five minutes.

Is this a coincidence?
Did I have one box die from old age and one new box that is already buggy?
Has encryption caused a compatibility issue with the Mag and the cable box(es)?

As it stands now, I'm too afraid to rock the boat. I'll leave the line going directly into the cable box. Perhaps I'll make the Mag a slave to the cable box. HARUMPH. Or maybe I'll make the Mag a master to a rabbit ear's antenna and satisfy myself with watching Cable programming through the cable box and recording with the Mag poorly received local OTA channels.

Hopefully my ordeal isn't an omen of things to come.
Apparently, their new boxes "designed to expand your entertainment options" must, as I suspected; maintain vigilance (constant communication with the head-end) so the cable company has you by the short hairs at all times.

The Mags have an amplified coax passthrough circuit that will block any communication with the head-end and, amazingly, is so vigilant that it stops working if the cableco box can't "call home"???

I believe you're now a confirmed slave to the box!

Your only option to free yourself to any extent is to install a bidirectional 2-way splitter on the incoming cable with one output to the Mag and one to their box... and hope their system is, so far, unable to tell that you put that splitter in-line!

As long as the splitter is bi-directional, you should be OK?

Last edited by wajo; 06-17-2014 at 12:48 PM.
post #25667 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Liked: 15
I just got a MDR557H/F7 and it will record to and play back DVD+R and DVD+RW even though the manual does not mention them.
post #25668 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg1 View Post
I just got a MDR557H/F7 and it will record to and play back DVD+R and DVD+RW even though the manual does not mention them.
THANK YOU!

IMany will be glad to hear this. I'll be changing my posts and reviews.

post #25669 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Apparently, their new boxes "designed to expand your entertainment options" must, as I suspected; maintain vigilance (constant communication with the head-end) so the cable company has you by the short hairs at all times.

The Mags have an amplified coax passthrough circuit that will block any communication with the head-end and, amazingly, is so vigilant that it stops working if the cableco box can't "call home"???

I believe you're now a confirmed slave to the box!

Your only option to free yourself to any extent is to install a bidirectional 2-way splitter on the incoming cable with one output to the Mag and one to their box... and hope their system is, so far, unable to tell that you put that splitter in-line!

As long as the splitter is bi-directional, you should be OK?
Would the bi-directional splitter be that, um, Anatronix splitter you mentioned in this thread's lead posts?

I mentioned to the tech the possibility of a splitter. He informed me that my signal strength amounted to a "2" a low number, and that a splitter might degrade the signal too much. He told me, albeit quickly, how to use the remote control to access the microsoft blue-screen-of-death-like tech screen that shows the signal strength among other things; but I now forget how he did it. Might I be able to use the remote to re-check the signal strength, to see if it improved after he used new lines, and to determine if my signal is strong enough for a splitter?

{Sigh} As I mentioned before, this all seems so regressive. All I want to do is record a few NFL games while letting another house member watch QVC. When I purchased the Mag I could record nearly every channel that the cable box picked up. Perhaps that was too much to ask to continue. But now, to be unable to pick even OTA channels -- I don't think consumers are asking for too much when asking for that.

Just curious, have the people at Funai issued any kind of statements, offered any kind of workarounds? It's their market; it's their customers? Are they content to let their consumers and products slowly wither?

Last edited by Lxloco; 06-17-2014 at 01:20 PM.
post #25670 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Would the bi-directional splitter be that, um, Anatronix splitter you mentioned in this thread's lead posts?

I mentioned to the tech the possibility of a splitter. He informed me that my signal strength amounted to a "2" a low number, and that a splitter might degrade the signal too much. He told me, albeit quickly, how to use the remote control to access the microsoft blue-screen-of-death-like tech screen that shows the signal strength among other things; but I now forget how he did it. Might I be able to use the remote to re-check the signal strength, to see if it improved after he used new lines, and to determine if my signal is strong enough for a splitter?

{Sigh} As I mentioned before, this all seems so regressive. All I want to do is record a few NFL games while letting another house member watch QVC. When I purchased the Mag I could record nearly every channel that the cable box picked up. Perhaps that was too much to ask to continue. But now, to be unable to pick even OTA channels -- I don't think consumers are asking for too much when asking for that.

Just curious, have the people at Funai issued any kind of statements, offered any kind of workarounds? It's their market; it's their customers? Are they content to let their consumers and products slowly wither?
Seaking only for me, Funai has always disliked dealing with the whims and shenanigans of U.S. cable companies, so much so that they really *never* advertised that their recorders had QAM channels.

That Amtronic splitter is one you can use but there are MANY others probably available at your locak Walmart... just get Walmart's most expensive one (my store has two and one isn't even marked as to the dB reduction on the output ports).

Regardless of what the cable tech said, I believe in "experimenting" as the ONLY way to KNOW anything, especially in the very partisan electrronic gizmo world... i.e., just try it!

As an alternative, you might be able to use your Mag with a completely separate antenna, like a Mohu Lead Ultimate flat antenna, if you can receive ION network in your area. ION-owned stations carry QVC, HSN and maybe SHOP networks, and of course you can watch games on the major broadcast networks if you receive any where you live.

Enter your zip in the TVFool website and see what it shows.

If you decide to add an antenna, you can still record stuff from any of your cableco boxes that have YWR RCA or S-Video+WR audio outputs.

Last edited by wajo; 06-17-2014 at 01:38 PM.
post #25671 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
{Sigh} As I mentioned before, this all seems so regressive.
Cable has made themselves into a closed system with the blessing of the FCC. They provide you their service using their equipment and provide no support for 3rd party equipment other than tolerating cable-card devices like TiVo and Ceton or Silicon Dust PC tuners.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25672 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
It really is frustrating. At least I can get a couple of OTA channels with an antenna and get some SD HD-subchannels through the HD DTA okay. The HD channels through the HD DTA are not as good as I thought they were the other day. I'm pretty sure I saw the whole picture on the Magnavox when the HD channels first came in, now they are cropped to about where the channel bug is on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Cable has made themselves into a closed system with the blessing of the FCC. They provide you their service using their equipment and provide no support for 3rd party equipment other than tolerating cable-card devices like TiVo and Ceton or Silicon Dust PC tuners.
I did leave a complaint about this QAM encryption with the FCC. I don't expect it to do much, but it did feel good writing it.
post #25673 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Anyone else notice whenever one hovers over the title of this thread(or any icon in it's title) it says Wabjxo
Wonder if it has to do with the new forum software.......it also seems related to Photobucket.
post #25674 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Anyone else notice whenever one hovers over the title of this thread(or any icon in it's title) it says Wabjxo
Wonder if it has to do with the new forum software.......it also seems related to Photobucket.
That's the URL of the Comments/Questions icon (Right-click and look at Properties):

h.t.t.p://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/wabjxo/PostQuestion.jpg

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #25675 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Interesting, on my Win7 PC I don't have a properties but I do have a View Image info which I assume is the same as properties ? Anyway yes I see what you've posted when I click view image info.
Must be a carryover from years ago when Wajo posted under Wabjxo.
post #25676 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Interesting, on my Win7 PC I don't have a properties but I do have a View Image info which I assume is the same as properties ? Anyway yes I see what you've posted when I click view image info.
Must be a carryover from years ago when Wajo posted under Wabjxo.
Interesting. On my Win 7 laptop I right click, select Properties, and always get:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dv...-standard-def/
post #25677 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my Time Warner system a two-way splitter is used to separate the TV signal from the phone/internet signals on the in-coming line. Additional splitters are used to separate the TV signal to different boxes/TVs. A splitter is also used to separate the phone and internet signals. I also use a splitter between the cable box and the Mag so the caller ID works on the cable box. As can be seen several splitters are used with no problems.

AV-N
post #25678 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
It really is frustrating. At least I can get a couple of OTA channels with an antenna and get some SD HD-subchannels through the HD DTA okay. The HD channels through the HD DTA are not as good as I thought they were the other day. I'm pretty sure I saw the whole picture on the Magnavox when the HD channels first came in, now they are cropped to about where the channel bug is on the right.

I did leave a complaint about this QAM encryption with the FCC. I don't expect it to do much, but it did feel good writing it.

Generally speaking, I'm not one to petition the government for solutions; rather, I'm more market-oriented. With that in mind, perhaps what befell me today could actually be useful to the Clear Cause. For instance....

What if the Motorola Cable boxes that were vulnerable to a Mag-interruption were also vulnerable to interruptions by other non-Comcast DVRs?

What would be the cost of sending a repairmen to 100,000, 200,000, or 300,000 homes to reset cable boxes that were "accidentally" reconnected to non-complaint DVRs?

What would be that cost if that accident happened the first week of October…just before Game One of the World Series? Would MLB take notice? Would the network? Would game's sponsors?

What would be the cost of crediting the accounts of those thousands of customers for their three-four-five day service outage?

What now is the cost of redesigning or otherwise re-cahjiggering the Motorola boxes so that they are no longer vulnerable to such accidents?

Naturally, there would be cost to the consumer. Going without cable television for a few days can be rough…but in the grand scheme of things it's not an unbearable burden.

Provide a catchy label for this act of disobedience, spread the word that it will happen on a Clear Night in October, and see if there is an official response before or during this period of protest.

If these Motorola boxes are in fact vulnerable, then maybe for one night, or two, or three, or four, the consumer's complaint can be heard by, ironically enough, a kind of silence.

But, I blather.
post #25679 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

^ What will be the cost if you start getting charged for a truck roll to fix a problem you caused by connecting unauthorized equipment to their network?

They never lose money.

- kelson h

post #25680 of 25743 Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Interesting. On my Win 7 laptop I right click, select Properties, and always get:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dv...-standard-def/
You're mixing things up:

HOVER over the Sticky's Title, or 1 or 2 or 3 or Last Page and you'll see what he's talking about.

RIGHT CLICK on the icon for Comments/Questions in Post #1 for the corresponding Properties.

P.S. If the HOVER doesn't work the first time, HOVER over the 2nd Sticky and then go back to the first. It seems tempermental on my Win7 HP Desktop.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page