Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 861 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #25801 of 25825 Old 08-15-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
RF on the TV side isn't a problem. Connect an antenna to the RF input on the TV and you will get 720p or 1080i HD with DD 5.1. , higher quality than cable or sat. Can give you. The makers of the boxes need to up their game.

Last edited by rdgcss; 08-17-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25802 of 25825 Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any long-standing members of this thread, help me out here, will ya'?

I've recorded a movie on my 513 which, after deleting the ads, ended up as 2hrs, 6min and change.

Now, I know if I'd recorded such a movie directly to a DVD, it would have fit using the 2hr setting.

The machine isn't going to let me dub it to a DVD using the 2hr setting, tho', is it? It'll stubbornly insist 2hrs means 2hrs, totally ignoring the true capacity of the disc, won't it?

I'm gonna have to use the 2:30 setting to record the movie to DVD, aren't I?
post #25803 of 25825 Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Any long-standing members of this thread, help me out here, will ya'?

I've recorded a movie on my 513 which, after deleting the ads, ended up as 2hrs, 6min and change.

Now, I know if I'd recorded such a movie directly to a DVD, it would have fit using the 2hr setting.

The machine isn't going to let me dub it to a DVD using the 2hr setting, tho', is it? It'll stubbornly insist 2hrs means 2hrs, totally ignoring the true capacity of the disc, won't it?

I'm gonna have to use the 2:30 setting to record the movie to DVD, aren't I?
You probably answered your own question.
post #25804 of 25825 Old 08-15-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
High-speed dub (HSD) can fit ~2:10:00 of SP mode on a DVD.

Chart is here.
post #25805 of 25825 Old 08-15-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys.

Naturally, I always use real-time dub for movies I've edited the commercials from. Past experience has told me high-speed tends to be too fast to fully respect the edit spots. I've gotten a frame or two of the ads here and there.

Oh well...
post #25806 of 25825 Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You can get the same 2:10:00 of SP mode on a DVD if you record from one machine to another... a Real-Time Record (RTR).
post #25807 of 25825 Old 08-15-2014, 07:14 PM

Liked: 10
Tried to dub from D*tV to my Mag 535 but am finding it not functioning. Somewhere I have read about D*TV allowing only copy once on its DVR machine...does this mean I cannot record from their machine to my Mag recorder? The show I want to record is The Hollow Crown series.
post #25808 of 25825 Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You should be able to copy from the DVR if you use a converter between the DVR and the Mag, as described here.
post #25809 of 25825 Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Analog RF channel 3/4 is the WORST quality connection, worse than VHS IMO. Your best bet would be S-video which is about DVD quality, unfortunately basically all modern equipment has omitted S-video and were lucky to get VHS quality composite. If you have a STB(vs a DTA) you should have composite output which is what I'd suggest, if you have a DTA it will more than likely only have RF3, again the worst quality connection. If this is the case I'd really look into a cable company supplied DVR(or Tivo or HTPC) to do all your recording and then for things you want to save, PLAY on the DVR and record realtime using the DVRs composite(I believe they all have composite) to your Magnavox. It will cost more money to rent the DVR but hey, thats your cable companies whole point of scrambling things requiring you use a STB, they want more money

Pardon my late offerings of thanks.

Sure enough a change in wiring/cabling has noticeably improved the picture quality. I should have known this. I suppose I lost sight of the forest while looking the trees. Thanks again.
post #25810 of 25825 Old 08-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Something must have been added to the D*TV software...no matter how I connect from their DVR, the S Video plug and Yellow RCA plug is not pulling in the video. I got the audio but not the video link.
I don't see any of the converter available that would convert from HDMI out to composite in. I used to be able to do this quickly, but now, am befuddled by it.
Has anyone else been challenged by recording from Satellite DVR to Maggie DVR?
post #25811 of 25825 Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post
Something must have been added to the D*TV software...no matter how I connect from their DVR, the S Video plug and Yellow RCA plug is not pulling in the video. I got the audio but not the video link.
I don't see any of the converter available that would convert from HDMI out to composite in. I used to be able to do this quickly, but now, am befuddled by it.
Have you set the Video > Video Input to the correct type of cable? Hearing only audio is a classic symptom of an incorrect video setting.

Set for "S-Video in" if using S-Video (L1 or L2, whichever you're connected to). The default is "Video in" which is YWR RCA.

Your STB might have a setting also to allow "Out to VCR" or similar option?

Some video converters are here.

Last edited by wajo; 08-17-2014 at 01:54 PM.
post #25812 of 25825 Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Every HD cable box I've had the displeasure to use has blocked analog video output as long as any HDMI cable was connected between it and anything else. To use "my" current box with Mag requires HDMI to composite converter, then a composite splitter to enable Mag to record whatever it can tune directly on its tuner as well as whatever the cable box is tuned coming in on L1, and be able to watch something from the cable box directly on the TV while the Mag is recording from its tuner.

BHN also interrupts programs with a "press any button to continue watching this program" on its non-recorder HD boxes if no button has been pressed for approximately 3+ hours. IOW, if I want to be able to record a complete movie, I have be sure to press some remote button within 3 hours of the end of a recording, and the movie can't be longer than 3 hours.

BHN claiming "friend" in its advertising is lying hugely. It's a friend only in the direction of subscribers giving it too much money to do whatever it pleases. One must choose between watching any HD programs in HD, and being able to use his owned Magnavox recorder instead of renting a recorder that can't make DVDs, or having to switch HDMI cables and access only one program at a time.

An option I've not tried yet is an HDMI splitter, which I would hope to allow to watch HD off the box directly on the TV while using the HDMI to composite converter to get TV from the box into the Mag.
natchie likes this.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25813 of 25825 Old 08-17-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

First, what model DirecTV DVR do you have?

Second, I have been using a number of HR2x DVRs for a very long time now and all the outputs are active simultaneously. I would suggest as a first attempt at troubleshooting, plug the DVR directly into your television bypassing the DVD recorder and see if the TV sees the video stream. If it does, then it's likely the setting in the DVD recorder, if it doesn't then you need to look into the DirecTV DVR as the source of the problem.
natchie and Super Eye like this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #25814 of 25825 Old 08-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the review. I will try again by removing the hdmi cable to get around it. My set up is D*TV HR 22-100>Yamaha AVR HDMI>Mag DVR>TV HDMI.
Guess I am thrown off as I didn't have this kind of tedious problem in the past.

Tried both L1 and L2. I may need to skip the AVR during the recording.

Wajo, the converters form HDMI to composite or S Video are not showing up in a consistent manner.

ADD ON EDIT: Hand Waves! I disconnected the HDMI between the D*TV DVR to Mag DVR, and used only S-Video and RCA audio and to monitor it used the Yellow video RCA. All is well so far! Thanks to all of the experts here...Now I can eventually dub to DVD later.

Cheers!

Last edited by natchie; 08-17-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Update
post #25815 of 25825 Old 08-17-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does the D*TV box have to have a special setting engaged in order for the S-video and Yellow RCA line to work? [EDIT: Looks like that was already addressed.]

Also, what do you mean you don't see any converter that does HDMI to composite?

There are several at Amazon, including one that seems to be a version of the converter a lot of us got a while back. (Two of which I currently still use.)

Just make sure you're looking at an HDMI TO Composite, tho'. There are a few that go the other way around.

Here's one from a site I can't vouch for, but it might be worth considering.
http://www.meritline.com/hdmi-to-com...FU4F7AodDw4A2Q

And here's one fromAmazon, which may be the same one a lot of us already have. (Sure looks the same, and so does it's AC adapter.)
http://www.amazon.com/LKV381-HDMI-Co...ideo+converter

natchie likes this.

Last edited by gastrof; 08-17-2014 at 09:23 PM.
post #25816 of 25825 Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Every HD cable box I've had the displeasure to use has blocked analog video output as long as any HDMI cable was connected between it and anything else. To use "my" current box with Mag requires HDMI to composite converter, then a composite splitter to enable Mag to record whatever it can tune directly on its tuner as well as whatever the cable box is tuned coming in on L1, and be able to watch something from the cable box directly on the TV while the Mag is recording from its tuner.

BHN also interrupts programs with a "press any button to continue watching this program" on its non-recorder HD boxes if no button has been pressed for approximately 3+ hours. IOW, if I want to be able to record a complete movie, I have be sure to press some remote button within 3 hours of the end of a recording, and the movie can't be longer than 3 hours.

BHN claiming "friend" in its advertising is lying hugely. It's a friend only in the direction of subscribers giving it too much money to do whatever it pleases. One must choose between watching any HD programs in HD, and being able to use his owned Magnavox recorder instead of renting a recorder that can't make DVDs, or having to switch HDMI cables and access only one program at a time.

An option I've not tried yet is an HDMI splitter, which I would hope to allow to watch HD off the box directly on the TV while using the HDMI to composite converter to get TV from the box into the Mag.
You need to stop doing this. I don't know how many cable boxes you have owned, but every one that I have owned allows for more than one video output. You make it seem like the answer to the problem is hopeless or quite complicated when it MAY not be. When you post this, it it discourages the OP from finding a possible easy solution to their problem which quite possibly is a simple menu setting change. If that doesn't work THEN offer the more complex and expensive solution.
Super Eye likes this.
post #25817 of 25825 Old 08-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
You need to stop doing this. I don't know how many cable boxes you have owned, but every one that I have owned allows for more than one video output. You make it seem like the answer to the problem is hopeless or quite complicated when it MAY not be.
I'm being realistic. It doesn't keep people from trying other suggestions, only from expecting a happy solution in every case.

All ever used locally have had multiple outputs, just like most historically have had non-locally. Due to BHN's derelict signal strength/quality and often repeated suggestion that a different box may be the salvation, the average time between box changes here for the past several years has been somewhere around 9 months. IIRC, the same brand hasn't succeeded the previous more than once. Changing the boxes only about twice has caused any apparent changes in the menus, and one of those was coincident with an advertised change that had been upcoming. The oldest one I remember, a Pace, derelict in many respects compared to newer boxes, but having welcome features missing from newer boxes (e.g. multiple composite outs, and option to not letterbox HD channels on analog outputs), may have been different from the recent ones, but cablecos change software, and BHN here has been anything but the friendly it claims to be in the changes it has made (e.g. "reminders" instead of timers, which allow other members in the household to take no notice the recorder is running and switch away from what a timer would have locked onto until program end). Its various flavors of Samsung and SA boxes for several years have played component and composite just fine only as long as a HDMI cable is not connected to it and something else at the same time, at which time analog video output from the cable box is blocked. Pulling the HDMI cable at either end turns the analog video right back on. Fishing through BHN cable box menus, with or without help from customer service on the phone or a visiting technician, changes nothing that matters, just like there's nothing in its menus to keep its boxes working continuously 24/7 (e.g. to allow uninterrupted 12 hour marathon recordings, or recording any complete program at all while sleeping more than 3 hours at a time), just like there's nothing you can do to ensure enough signal gets into the box during primetime to prevent blocking. Years of complaining and service calls never has made anything more than a brief improvement in signal, while its software has only grown better at pushing people to pay high rentals instead of using purchased equipment like our Mags.
jjeff likes this.

post #25818 of 25825 Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Cable boxes are designed to run video outs simultaneously

Quote:

Quote:
You need to stop doing this. I don't know how many cable boxes you have owned, but every one that I have owned allows for more than one video output. You make it seem like the answer to the problem is hopeless or quite complicated when it MAY not be. When you post this, it it discourages the OP from finding a possible easy solution to their problem which quite possibly is a simple menu setting change. If that doesn't work THEN offer the more complex and expensive solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
First, what model DirecTV DVR do you have?

Second, I have been using a number of HR2x DVRs for a very long time now and all the outputs are active simultaneously. I would suggest as a first attempt at troubleshooting, plug the DVR directly into your television bypassing the DVD recorder and see if the TV sees the video stream. If it does, then it's likely the setting in the DVD recorder, if it doesn't then you need to look into the DirecTV DVR as the source of the problem.

I’m with you BIGA$$TV and Church AV Guy
Every cable box I hooked up had all video outputs active simultaneously.

-HDMI
-Component
- S-Video
- Composite

The only thing is that the HDMI and Component need to have the resolution and the refresh rate set the same with the boxes I tried.

Most Motorola and Pace boxes are designed to output HDMI into TV and s-video or composite into an external recorder simultaneously. Just about every Motorola box I had have two sets of analog L/R audio out – one set variable level for the TV and one set fixed level for the DVD recorder. Many of the boxes also have a feature to change the channel via the guide so you can record unattended.

Even my newest box Motorola DCX-3400-M will have HDMI, component, S-Video and composite all active at the same time – no matter what resolution you set for HDMI and component 1080i, 720p or native – the composite and S-video outputs will still output 480i simultaneously.

I know folks that have pace boxes and those also output video simultaneously.
In fact here is a diagram of a Pace box meant to be hooked up simultaneously to TV via HDMI and composite to recorder with simultaneous output.

So if your cable box won’t allow simultaneous video output it’s obviously shutdown by your local area provider and is not a limit of the cable box. But be aware as many of us posted – our cable or sat head ends do indeed allow running the box video outputs simultaneously and most boxes were designed to run all outputs simultaneously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaceSimultaneousl.jpg (443.2 KB, 7 views)
post #25819 of 25825 Old 08-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
if your cable box won’t allow simultaneous video output it’s obviously shutdown by your local area provider and is not a limit of the cable box. But be aware as many of us posted – our cable or sat head ends do indeed allow running the box video outputs simultaneously and most boxes were designed to run all outputs simultaneously.
Probably all boxes were designed to output all simultaneously, just as all were designed for the cableco owner of the box to determine what the software in the box can or can't do, including keeping it on full time or not, and keeping all outputs enabled full time or not. From a user POV, all that matters is what he can do with the box, not what the box could have done when it left the manufacturer's factory, or what it might be able to do if the provider changed the software in the box.

post #25820 of 25825 Old 08-19-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm being realistic. It doesn't keep people from trying other suggestions, only from expecting a happy solution in every case.

All ever used locally have had multiple outputs, just like most historically have had non-locally. Due to BHN's derelict signal strength/quality and often repeated suggestion that a different box may be the salvation, the average time between box changes here for the past several years has been somewhere around 9 months. IIRC, the same brand hasn't succeeded the previous more than once. Changing the boxes only about twice has caused any apparent changes in the menus, and one of those was coincident with an advertised change that had been upcoming. The oldest one I remember, a Pace, derelict in many respects compared to newer boxes, but having welcome features missing from newer boxes (e.g. multiple composite outs, and option to not letterbox HD channels on analog outputs), may have been different from the recent ones, but cablecos change software, and BHN here has been anything but the friendly it claims to be in the changes it has made (e.g. "reminders" instead of timers, which allow other members in the household to take no notice the recorder is running and switch away from what a timer would have locked onto until program end). Its various flavors of Samsung and SA boxes for several years have played component and composite just fine only as long as a HDMI cable is not connected to it and something else at the same time, at which time analog video output from the cable box is blocked. Pulling the HDMI cable at either end turns the analog video right back on. Fishing through BHN cable box menus, with or without help from customer service on the phone or a visiting technician, changes nothing that matters, just like there's nothing in its menus to keep its boxes working continuously 24/7 (e.g. to allow uninterrupted 12 hour marathon recordings, or recording any complete program at all while sleeping more than 3 hours at a time), just like there's nothing you can do to ensure enough signal gets into the box during primetime to prevent blocking. Years of complaining and service calls never has made anything more than a brief improvement in signal, while its software has only grown better at pushing people to pay high rentals instead of using purchased equipment like our Mags.
The point I was trying to make is when someone asks for advice and then you post like an expert saying that EVERY box you've had won't simultaneously output, then the person assumes that his box won't. In this case the person immediately started researching converters when that solution should have been the last tried. Wouldn't it be better to just warn the poster that SOME boxes don't simultaneously output and that he MAY have one of those, but that he should try other solutions first?
post #25821 of 25825 Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is when someone asks for advice and then you post like an expert saying that EVERY box you've had won't simultaneously output, then the person assumes that his box won't. In this case the person immediately started researching converters when that solution should have been the last tried. Wouldn't it be better to just warn the poster that SOME boxes don't simultaneously output and that he MAY have one of those, but that he should try other solutions first?
Nobody's perfect. I suppose based on the actual report in this sub-thread I may have expected too much from the reader to think he would recognize any one person's experience with cable boxes has to be a relatively small sample size, such that that experience should be recognized as a possible outcome to be on the lookout for, rather than a more likely outcome. Testing for the condition of my experience is simple, just pull one end of the HDMI cable, and see if analog video appears in place of a blank screen that is accompanied by analog audio.

post #25822 of 25825 Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Magnavox MDR513H - HDTV not HDCP Compatible Error Message

I have an older MDR513H model and until recently worked fine, just the way I needed it to.

Let me set the stage on how I have it hooked up:

- Northeast Cable Provider CableVision/Optimum with Samsung HD cablebox.
- RF/coax output of cablebox is input to Magnavox MDR513H
- Output of MDR513H output via HDMI to Vizio HD 65" LED TV

I use the MDR513H to record from the cablebox, recently started to get screen/video error message on recordings that HDTV is not HDCP compatible, use the YRB connections.

This does not happen all the time, about 50% of the time.

What is causing this message and is it coming from the cablebox or the MDR513H?

Anyone help please?
post #25823 of 25825 Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS-Sr View Post
I have an older MDR513H model and until recently worked fine, just the way I needed it to.

Let me set the stage on how I have it hooked up:

- Northeast Cable Provider CableVision/Optimum with Samsung HD cablebox.
- RF/coax output of cablebox is input to Magnavox MDR513H
- Output of MDR513H output via HDMI to Vizio HD 65" LED TV

I use the MDR513H to record from the cablebox, recently started to get screen/video error message on recordings that HDTV is not HDCP compatible, use the YRB connections.

This does not happen all the time, about 50% of the time.

What is causing this message and is it coming from the cablebox or the MDR513H?

Anyone help please?
You have an odd setup that doesn't allow you to see HD on your 65" TV (unless you failed to mention that you have the STB also connected to the TV). Why not do what the message says? Connect the STB via HDMI to the TV (that way you get HD) and then connect the 513 to the STB via composite cables and then the 513 to the TV via HDMI. Then you can toggle the TV input to either the 513 or the cable box.

The only fly in the ointment would be if your set top box doesn't output both HDMI and composite at the same time. If not, then maybe connect the STB to the TV via component cables (still gets you HD).
post #25824 of 25825 Old Today, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I know a timer recording is limited to 12 hours, but what about a "hit the record button" recording?

There's a "Doctor Who" marathon running on BBC America, and I've had the machine going since 8am. Naturally, the first episode of the new season is starting at 8pm.

Is the machine going to shut down just as the new episode is starting, or will it just keep running? (Using my 513, RCA input from the cable box.)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page