Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 862 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #25831 of 25848 Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
For others who don't mind reading the help files, max. rec time of 12 hours is mentioned three times in the main Recording help file.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25832 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
You have an odd setup that doesn't allow you to see HD on your 65" TV (unless you failed to mention that you have the STB also connected to the TV). Why not do what the message says? Connect the STB via HDMI to the TV (that way you get HD) and then connect the 513 to the STB via composite cables and then the 513 to the TV via HDMI. Then you can toggle the TV input to either the 513 or the cable box.

The only fly in the ointment would be if your set top box doesn't output both HDMI and composite at the same time. If not, then maybe connect the STB to the TV via component cables (still gets you HD).

rewiring my connections is really not an option. I have another dual tuner DVR in the mix as well and the way I have it connected has suited our needs for a while now.

What I am trying to figure out first is where the error message is coming from?

During an hour recording on the 513 the other night, the recording was fine for about the first 20 minutes, then the error message appeared for about 10 minutes, then it wen back to being viewable?

Is this message coming from the 513? Or is this coming from my cablebox?

Is this something that would go away if I upgraded to a newer unit?
post #25833 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
You have an odd setup that doesn't allow you to see HD on your 65" TV (unless you failed to mention that you have the STB also connected to the TV). Why not do what the message says? Connect the STB via HDMI to the TV (that way you get HD) and then connect the 513 to the STB via composite cables and then the 513 to the TV via HDMI. Then you can toggle the TV input to either the 513 or the cable box.

The only fly in the ointment would be if your set top box doesn't output both HDMI and composite at the same time. If not, then maybe connect the STB to the TV via component cables (still gets you HD).

Not sure I understand what the STB is here? Please be patient with me as I get up to speed with your terminology.

The 513 is connected to the TV via HDMI.

The Cablebox is also connected to the TV via HDMI.

The only thing not connected via HDMI is the output of the Cablebox to the 513. The reason for this is because there is no input to the 513 for HDMI or composite. If there was, then I have an HDMI splitter which would give me HDMI input to the 513. Make sense?

I appreciate your help, but really need to know where this error message is coming from, them I know which box is the PITA! :-)

Bruce
post #25834 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
"The only thing not connected via HDMI is the output of the Cablebox to the 513. The reason for this is because there is no input to the 513 for HDMI or composite. If there was, then I have an HDMI splitter which would give me HDMI input to the 513. Make sense?"

I am presuming you meant no component (red, green yellow) inputs to the 513. It definitely has composite inputs.

I really don't know why you are having problems, but I think a probable solution is to use a composite connection (red and white audio and yellow video) from your cable box to the 513. You should have these cables around since I believe they came with the 513 as they came with my 515.

(STB = set top box = cable box)
post #25835 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
"The only thing not connected via HDMI is the output of the Cablebox to the 513. The reason for this is because there is no input to the 513 for HDMI or composite. If there was, then I have an HDMI splitter which would give me HDMI input to the 513. Make sense?"

I am presuming you meant no component (red, green yellow) inputs to the 513. It definitely has composite inputs.

I really don't know why you are having problems, but I think a probable solution is to use a composite connection (red and white audio and yellow video) from your cable box to the 513. You should have these cables around since I believe they came with the 513 as they came with my 515.

(STB = set top box = cable box)

AHHH! STB, OK!

I have tried the composite (red/white audio, yellow video) with no luck. This is why I stayed with the RF Coax connection, figured neither the STB nor the 513 would have any cables plugged in so the "HDTV not compatible with HDCP" error message would come up, but still does. For a while when I was trying the composite connection, error message all the time, at least now it is intermittent.

Any idea if this message is coming from the 513 or the STB?
post #25836 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS-Sr View Post
You need to divide and conquer in order to trouble shoot.
If it were me I would suspect the HDMI connection between the HDTV and the Magnavox -- meaning only that I would test that hypothesis first. Rewire the Magnavox/HDTV connection so you are using either the component out or the composite out from the Magnavox to the HDTV. If that eliminates the HDMI/HDCP error message you have your answer.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25837 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AHHH! STB, OK!

I have tried the composite (red/white audio, yellow video) with no luck. This is why I stayed with the RF Coax connection, figured neither the STB nor the 513 would have any cables plugged in so the "HDTV not compatible with HDCP" error message would come up, but still does. For a while when I was trying the composite connection, error message all the time, at least now it is intermittent.

I hope someone else steps in here because I don't know much about this stuff. I thought that the HDCP was only a problem with HD signals. not signals coming through composite. Just a wild stab here, but could the message be coming from your TV?

whoops, I posted this before I saw Kelson's reply and it looks like I might have made a lucky guess!
post #25838 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
You could clone it yourself, as LDM implied. Mechanically speaking, all you need is a PC you can attach a couple of extra HDs to, either to internal SATA ports, eSATA ports, or USB ports. Externally of course requires one or more relatively cheap external devices to house the HDs.
Since I almost always leave the Maggie on L3 when I'm not actually recording, I suspect the noise is coming from the hard drive. At any rate, I'm terrified of turning it on for fear that the drive will completely go.

I shall be getting a new custom-made computer in December. You've just given me an idea for some add-ons I should request. I know the new computer will come with one solid state drive and one regular (SATA) slave drive, as well as five USB ports. And I already have a Seagate 500 gig external drive that uses a USB port. Perhaps you could instruct me as to what exactly extra I will need and how to proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Trist
post #25839 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Well, I am sure it is not coming form the TV.

I was recording very successfully for more than a year without any issues but recently the cable provider started doing some application updates to their STB's, so I assume here that something changed there. Now what is puzzling is why something (Magnavox 513 or Cablebox/STB) is seeing something in the HDTV signal that is being interpreted as not HDCP compatible since the signal between the STB and the Magnavox 513 is via the RF COAX, not composite of HDMI.

Another aspect is that this is intermittent? :-(

I think the error message is actually coming from the Magnavox 513. Reason I say this is that the error message is only there during recording, not during regular viewing. If it was coming from the Cable STB, then I would see it when viewing as well, wouldn't I?

So what is in the Magnavox 513 that is setting this message?

I know my Magnavox 513 is an older model, would an upgrade to a newer model resolve this?
post #25840 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I am sure it is not coming form the TV.

I was recording very successfully for more than a year without any issues but recently the cable provider started doing some application updates to their STB's, so I assume here that something changed there. Now what is puzzling is why something (Magnavox 513 or Cablebox/STB) is seeing something in the HDTV signal that is being interpreted as not HDCP compatible since the signal between the STB and the Magnavox 513 is via the RF COAX, not composite of HDMI.

Another aspect is that this is intermittent? :-(

I think the error message is actually coming from the Magnavox 513. Reason I say this is that the error message is only there during recording, not during regular viewing. If it was coming from the Cable STB, then I would see it when viewing as well, wouldn't I?

So what is in the Magnavox 513 that is setting this message?

I know my Magnavox 513 is an older model, would an upgrade to a newer model resolve this?
Follow Kelson's suggestion- connect the 513 to the TV via component cable or composite cables to see if the problem goes away.
post #25841 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
It might be the HDMI connection between the cable box and the TV. The cable box knows when a HDMI cable is plugged in and it expects to find a TV at the other end of the cable. If you turn the TV off it could be breaking the HDMI communication to the cable box, and the cable box is generating the error message and displaying it on all of the video outputs. You wouldn't see that message while viewing because the TV would be turned on.

Last edited by Ken.F; 08-25-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Corrected and removed redunant repeating repetitive text.
post #25842 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It might be the HDMI connection between the cable box and the TV. The cable box knows when a HDMI cable is plugged in and it and it expects to find a TV at the other end of the cable. If you turn the TV off it could be breaking the HDMI communication to the cable box, and the cable box is generating the error message and displaying it on all of the video outputs. You wouldn't see that message while viewing because the TV would be turned on.
Valid hypothesis. He needs to divide an conquer -- rewire to isolate the subsystems and see which HDMI connection is causing the problem. Otherwise all we can do is guess and I think we've done that already.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25843 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trist View Post
Since I almost always leave the Maggie on L3 when I'm not actually recording, I suspect the noise is coming from the hard drive. At any rate, I'm terrified of turning it on for fear that the drive will completely go.
Does it make noise on L3? If it does then it's probably not the HDD.
You could do a quick test that only needs the recorder to be running for a few seconds. With the recorder turned off, insert a toothpick (or some other non-metallic object) through the fan cage and between the cooling fan blades to keep the fan from spinning, then the recorder on. If you still get the noise with the fan blocked shut it off right away. If you don't get the noise, release the fan and see if the noise comes back.
post #25844 of 25848 Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
For others who don't mind reading the help files, max. rec time of 12 hours is mentioned three times in the main Recording help file.
There is a lot of info in all of this, Wajo. I don't know if anyone here recalls what all the help features say.
post #25845 of 25848 Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 AM

Quote:
It might be the HDMI connection between the cable box and the TV. The cable box knows when a HDMI cable is plugged in and it expects to find a TV at the other end of the cable. If you turn the TV off it could be breaking the HDMI communication to the cable box, and the cable box is generating the error message and displaying it on all of the video outputs. You wouldn't see that message while viewing because the TV would be turned on.
Ken, very valid point. Never though of that, Thanks!

I will try to figure out a way to test that theory.
post #25846 of 25848 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Well Ken, looks like you hit the nail on the head! :-)

Last 2 nights I recorded shows off the STB/cablebox leaving my TV on and they recorded just fine! I did not leave this comment yesterday because I did not want to jinx it by speaking toooooo soon! But after 2 nights in a row, I feel pretty confident that is what the issue is.

What I did was to put the TV Sleep Timer on for about 30 past the show end time, put the volume on mute and went to bed!

Worked like a charm. That's a short term fix.

Now I need to figure out how I am going to get the cable box to see a signal so it does not put out an error message?

BTW, do the newer Magnavox units have an HDMI input? Mine does not. Just a yellow video red/white audio composite input. I would also LUV to find a unit that uses the TV Guide data feed, makes recording so much simpler and watching the shows easier since they have titles. I have a PHD dual tuner that I use on the broadcast channels (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX), and that is a great little unit.
post #25847 of 25848 Old Today, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now I need to figure out how I am going to get the cable box to see a signal so it does not put out an error message?
You could replace the HDMI cable with a set of component video cables. If you want to keep the HDMI cable put a HDMI Detective on it.
post #25848 of 25848 Old Today, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Quote:
If you want to keep the HDMI cable put a HDMI Detective on it.
A different TV hooked up to the cable box's HDMI port and turned on should work. I'm guessing an HDMI splitter would do the job he needs without need for any third cable implied by the #2 output. On the opposite end of the cost scale, a Quick6 surely would do the job, plus a lot more.

I just discovered the latter yesterday, and the only thing that stopped me from ordering one then and there was to wait on the extra $50 off available by buying using Rakuten's Mastercard I just applied for yesterday.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page