Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 863 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #25861 of 25864 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The recorder is a DTVPal designed pre 2010 using DISH's propriety file system. I have Funai in the stack but it sits idle.

From what I understand, which is not much, the main difference with an advance format disk is that if the computer attempts to write 512 bytes to the drive 4096 bytes are read in, the 512 bytes are inserted in the correct location and 4096 bytes are written to the drive. This is handled by the 512 emulator software. I would think that the Funais are reading and writing large blocks of contiguous data so and the data rate required is relatively low so the chance of a problem is low.

But as always the only way to be absolutely sure is to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25862 of 25864 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
From what I understand, which is not much, the main difference with an advance format disk is that if the computer attempts to write 512 bytes to the drive 4096 bytes are read in, the 512 bytes are inserted in the correct location and 4096 bytes are written to the drive. This is handled by the 512 emulator software.
Transition to Advanced Format 4K Sector Hard Drives | Seagate explains how even larger than 4kb blocks need to be aligned in order to avoid performance loss from the HDs firmware emulation when heads and tails of the blocks are not aligned to the hardware sectors.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25863 of 25864 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
You say "record", but I think simply buffering (caching) that data flow amounts to the same thing.

Did you even read the URI about the Quick6? I seriously doubt it could do what it claims to do without that kind of smarts. I can hardly resist the urge to order one, but that extra $50 off does seem to be strong enough to keep me waiting.
I read the Amazon reviews. It got seven 5-star reviews and five 1-star reviews. That's not a large enough sample group to be definitive but it doesn't exactly make me feel very confident. I'd wait a while too.
post #25864 of 25864 Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here's a question-

The new model with the inadequate hour capacity settings, but the ability to produce DVDs that are coded for 16:9...

If you took a DVD made on an earlier model that recorded widescreen without black bars, played it into the new machine, once it's on the new model's hard drive, can it be re-burned to another DVD, now coded for 16:9?
post #25865 of 25864 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I read the Amazon reviews. It got seven 5-star reviews and five 1-star reviews. That's not a large enough sample group to be definitive but it doesn't exactly make me feel very confident. I'd wait a while too.
I'm only waiting in order to save $50. I read all Amazon reviews. The only negative I anticipate could affect my use pattern is device compatibility. For PIP (which along with POP I have turned on more often than not) to fully fulfill its promise, the PIP controller needs as many inputs as possible. New TVs don't have enough, and all the few I've found with PIP/POP make you dig through menus to switch to instead of having direct access buttons like my first Vizio has. The other big plus is switching speed, which with HDMI on my TVs is painfully slow, a huge regression from analog switching. Another plus, the ability to turn off auto-sensing, without which I'd probably not be able to consider it. Auto-sensing inputs is why I don't have more simple HDMI switching units than the fully manual 4X1 I have now. I've even told monoprice.com that auto-sensing is why I've not bought any of their HDMI switches. Auto-sensing is probably great for people who drive automatics, but I drive a stick. I get to pick when a switch is appropriate, without interference from some gadget that can't possibly know what I'm thinking.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page