Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 864 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #25891 of 25898 Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
He was trying to use his unit for fishing?

Line coming loose is the least of this guy's concerns...
At least it wasn't paracord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25892 of 25898 Old 09-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Re: Quick6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I read the Amazon reviews. It got seven 5-star reviews and five 1-star reviews. That's not a large enough sample group to be definitive but it doesn't exactly make me feel very confident. I'd wait a while too.
How long would you wait? Sound and Vision announced it as a new product in its November 2012 issue? Mine is due here Tuesday from rakuten.com for $208 delivered ($50 off for paying with a new Rakuten Mastercard that took about 10 days to get).

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25893 of 25898 Old 09-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS-Sr View Post
I put the HDMI splitter I have in place and seems to keep the signal alive to the STB just fine (or at least the last few shows I have recorded!).

I never thought of that the TV being off was the culprit.
Actually it was only indirectly the culprit. The root culprit was explained by Ken.F in post 25842 , the HDMI cable connected to the cable box without the cable box able to get feedback it expects from a device on the other end of the cable. This is also the reason for the behavior reported in the several posts in thread I made about cable boxes not providing simultaneous analog cable box output while HDMI cables were connected to them, posts about which several people complained here.

Today I confirmed your experience with my new Etekcity 2X1 HDMI splitter, allowing me to add it plus one HDMI cable while removing 5 analog cable sets and 2 other devices that had been rigged up to work around the analog video output shutdown when the cable box got no feedback from HDMI. To perform the confirmation I moved a bedroom TV within cable reach of the main TV so I could watch both while moving cables and switching among sources and destinations. Now I have all cable box AV outputs in use and working whenever the cable box is turned on, whether TV and/or Magnavox and/or VCR are on or off; and, the Mag is able to record anamorphic instead of boxed by having routed one HDMI splitter output through a HDMI to composite converter to the Mag.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #25894 of 25898 Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello - I have the Magnavox 513 and loved it. Charter just transitioned to all digital format so now every tv requires a cable box. Previously I was using a cable splitter so I could watch one show on cable and record another on the dvr, of course that no longer works. I am looking for a cheap easy way to do it. I have read a lot on this forum and am totally overwhelmed! Is there any device I can attach to the dvr so I can record something other than what I'm watching? Some kind of cablecard capable tuner?
post #25895 of 25898 Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbrlyne View Post
Hello - I have the Magnavox 513 and loved it. Charter just transitioned to all digital format so now every tv requires a cable box. Previously I was using a cable splitter so I could watch one show on cable and record another on the dvr, of course that no longer works. I am looking for a cheap easy way to do it. I have read a lot on this forum and am totally overwhelmed! Is there any device I can attach to the dvr so I can record something other than what I'm watching? Some kind of cablecard capable tuner?
When you say that Charter transitioned to an all digital format that could mean a couple things. It could mean that they eliminated all analog broadcasts but still broadcast clear QAM digital. It could also mean that they have both eliminated analog and also encrypted all digital broadcasts.

If the former, the magnavox will still function as before and tune in all the clear QAM digital channels with its digital tuner. If the latter, you are pretty much screwed and the only choice you would have to record something other than what you are watching would be to rent a second cable box just for the magnavox. At that point it is probably cheaper to rent a multi-tuner cable co DVR than to rent a pair of STB's.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25896 of 25898 Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
...the only choice you would have to record something other than what you are watching would be to rent a second cable box just for the magnavox.
Another choice could be using an antenna on the Magnavox for the local broadcast channels if reception is good in that area.
post #25897 of 25898 Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Re: Quick6
How long would you wait?
I'd wait until it had at least 4 good reviews for each bad review. With 5 one-star reviews I would need to see 20 or more 4-star or higher reviews.
post #25898 of 25898 Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Another choice could be using an antenna on the Magnavox for the local broadcast channels if reception is good in that area.
True, but the OP didn't indicate OTA was in the picture so I kept my response targeted.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page