Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 864 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #25891 of 25917 Old 09-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Re: Quick6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I read the Amazon reviews. It got seven 5-star reviews and five 1-star reviews. That's not a large enough sample group to be definitive but it doesn't exactly make me feel very confident. I'd wait a while too.
How long would you wait? Sound and Vision announced it as a new product in its November 2012 issue? Mine is due here Tuesday from rakuten.com for $208 delivered ($50 off for paying with a new Rakuten Mastercard that took about 10 days to get).

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25892 of 25917 Old 09-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS-Sr View Post
I put the HDMI splitter I have in place and seems to keep the signal alive to the STB just fine (or at least the last few shows I have recorded!).

I never thought of that the TV being off was the culprit.
Actually it was only indirectly the culprit. The root culprit was explained by Ken.F in post 25842 , the HDMI cable connected to the cable box without the cable box able to get feedback it expects from a device on the other end of the cable. This is also the reason for the behavior reported in the several posts in thread I made about cable boxes not providing simultaneous analog cable box output while HDMI cables were connected to them, posts about which several people complained here.

Today I confirmed your experience with my new Etekcity 2X1 HDMI splitter, allowing me to add it plus one HDMI cable while removing 5 analog cable sets and 2 other devices that had been rigged up to work around the analog video output shutdown when the cable box got no feedback from HDMI. To perform the confirmation I moved a bedroom TV within cable reach of the main TV so I could watch both while moving cables and switching among sources and destinations. Now I have all cable box AV outputs in use and working whenever the cable box is turned on, whether TV and/or Magnavox and/or VCR are on or off; and, the Mag is able to record anamorphic instead of boxed by having routed one HDMI splitter output through a HDMI to composite converter to the Mag.

post #25893 of 25917 Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello - I have the Magnavox 513 and loved it. Charter just transitioned to all digital format so now every tv requires a cable box. Previously I was using a cable splitter so I could watch one show on cable and record another on the dvr, of course that no longer works. I am looking for a cheap easy way to do it. I have read a lot on this forum and am totally overwhelmed! Is there any device I can attach to the dvr so I can record something other than what I'm watching? Some kind of cablecard capable tuner?
post #25894 of 25917 Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbrlyne View Post
Hello - I have the Magnavox 513 and loved it. Charter just transitioned to all digital format so now every tv requires a cable box. Previously I was using a cable splitter so I could watch one show on cable and record another on the dvr, of course that no longer works. I am looking for a cheap easy way to do it. I have read a lot on this forum and am totally overwhelmed! Is there any device I can attach to the dvr so I can record something other than what I'm watching? Some kind of cablecard capable tuner?
When you say that Charter transitioned to an all digital format that could mean a couple things. It could mean that they eliminated all analog broadcasts but still broadcast clear QAM digital. It could also mean that they have both eliminated analog and also encrypted all digital broadcasts.

If the former, the magnavox will still function as before and tune in all the clear QAM digital channels with its digital tuner. If the latter, you are pretty much screwed and the only choice you would have to record something other than what you are watching would be to rent a second cable box just for the magnavox. At that point it is probably cheaper to rent a multi-tuner cable co DVR than to rent a pair of STB's.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25895 of 25917 Old 09-15-2014, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
...the only choice you would have to record something other than what you are watching would be to rent a second cable box just for the magnavox.
Another choice could be using an antenna on the Magnavox for the local broadcast channels if reception is good in that area.
post #25896 of 25917 Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Re: Quick6
How long would you wait?
I'd wait until it had at least 4 good reviews for each bad review. With 5 one-star reviews I would need to see 20 or more 4-star or higher reviews.
post #25897 of 25917 Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Another choice could be using an antenna on the Magnavox for the local broadcast channels if reception is good in that area.
True, but the OP didn't indicate OTA was in the picture so I kept my response targeted.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25898 of 25917 Old 09-16-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
When you say that Charter transitioned to an all digital format that could mean a couple things. It could mean that they eliminated all analog broadcasts but still broadcast clear QAM digital. It could also mean that they have both eliminated analog and also encrypted all digital broadcasts.

If the former, the magnavox will still function as before and tune in all the clear QAM digital channels with its digital tuner. If the latter, you are pretty much screwed and the only choice you would have to record something other than what you are watching would be to rent a second cable box just for the magnavox. At that point it is probably cheaper to rent a multi-tuner cable co DVR than to rent a pair of STB's.

Thank you for the replies. Everything is encrypted - so I am in the screwed category! I don't record much so I can't justify paying more each month for dvr service - the Magnavox was really perfect for what I needed - just annoying to lose it!
post #25899 of 25917 Old 09-16-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. Everything is encrypted - so I am in the screwed category! I don't record much so I can't justify paying more each month for dvr service - the Magnavox was really perfect for what I needed - just annoying to lose it!
Sorry, should you continue subscribing to cable, you now have few choices to record one channel while watching another -- all of them will cost you something extra per month.
  • You can rent a second STB for the magnavox.
  • You can rent a multi-tuner DVR from the cable co
  • You can buy a used TiVo Premier off eBay and rent the cable card
  • You can buy a cable card tuner for your PC or Laptop and rent the cable card -- then use Windows Media Center on Win-7 (preferably) or Win-8 Pro to record and playback those few programs you want to record while watching something else.

- kelson h

post #25900 of 25917 Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Everything is encrypted - so I am in the screwed category! I don't record much so I can't justify paying more each month for dvr service
Depending on what programs are your main interest, there are options other than OTA, satellite and cable for those with broadband Internet, and more are on the way. Google IPTV to see what's here and what's coming. You can make your sentiment known by dropping Charter for TV, and telling it why in a snail mail letter.

With broadband Internet and/or OTA antenna, you could use a smart TV for watching directly, and a STB, such as Roku, to provide programming for your 513 to record. Without a smart TV, you could use separate STBs for 513 and TV to retain ability to watch one program while recording something else. STB programming is available both via subscription and free. The subs for STBs are much cheaper than cable and satellite.

post #25901 of 25917 Old 09-18-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

Only a few days supply of 533's left at walmart.com

9/22/14 - Only 56 left in stock.
9/23/14 - Only 20 left in stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by wajo; 09-23-2014 at 01:39 PM.
post #25902 of 25917 Old 09-23-2014, 03:19 PM

Liked: 10
Loved This Gizmo, But...

I liked the whole concept of DVDR so much, I bought two 515's a couple of years ago. I'm a big fan of TCM, so I started recording lots of commercial-free classic movies, and burning them to Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R's, and started cataloging them using EMDB in a nice faux aluminum box from SuperMediaStore. I've now got 160+ discs.

Happily, and somewhat unfortunately, I have since bought a new TV, a 51" Samsung 8500 plasma, with KILLER PQ. Watching some of the SD recordings I made, (even those recorded and dubbed in HQ), I realized what poor quality the recordings are, relative to broadcast HD (720p/1080i), Blu-ray, and even commercial DVDs. It's not quite so bad for black-and-white flicks, or movies where the essential element is the conversations, not the action or imagery. But the newer TV has been kind of an eye-opener (or closer) for this standard def technology. I guess the next move would be to somehow start recording flicks on a home computer in HD, and burning them to Blu-ray discs.

Anyway, I still record a few things off TCM now and then, and the 515's still work great. But the enthusiasm has waned as the digital age marches on, and I realize that it may be better to pay for high quality DVD and Blu-ray commercial transfers of films I really value. Try comparing an SD dub of "2001" to a Blu-ray release on a 51" or 64" TV....
post #25903 of 25917 Old 09-23-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews View Post
I liked the whole concept of DVDR so much, I bought two 515's a couple of years ago. I'm a big fan of TCM, so I started recording lots of commercial-free classic movies, and burning them to Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R's, and started cataloging them using EMDB in a nice faux aluminum box from SuperMediaStore. I've now got 160+ discs.

Happily, and somewhat unfortunately, I have since bought a new TV, a 51" Samsung 8500 plasma, with KILLER PQ. Watching some of the SD recordings I made, (even those recorded and dubbed in HQ), I realized what poor quality the recordings are, relative to broadcast HD (720p/1080i), Blu-ray, and even commercial DVDs. It's not quite so bad for black-and-white flicks, or movies where the essential element is the conversations, not the action or imagery. But the newer TV has been kind of an eye-opener (or closer) for this standard def technology. I guess the next move would be to somehow start recording flicks on a home computer in HD, and burning them to Blu-ray discs.

Anyway, I still record a few things off TCM now and then, and the 515's still work great. But the enthusiasm has waned as the digital age marches on, and I realize that it may be better to pay for high quality DVD and Blu-ray commercial transfers of films I really value. Try comparing an SD dub of "2001" to a Blu-ray release on a 51" or 64" TV....
I have had a 50" Samsung Series 8 plazma for 4 years. I too quickly noticed the poor sd quality of these boxes. My unit is now connected via OTA and is only used for overflow recording whick is not often since I have the ability to record 4 programs with my TWC DVR'S. Ever time I mention the poor quality of these units and tell folks they need either new glasses or a better TV it creates an uproar. Many thanks for your post to help validate my opinion.
MrNews likes this.
post #25904 of 25917 Old 09-23-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I guess the next move would be to somehow start recording flicks on a home computer in HD, and burning them to Blu-ray discs.
Join the club. Lots of options for recording HD -- come over to the HD Recorder forum.

Very few people burn BD-R. We mostly store them on HDD's and use media players.

- kelson h

post #25905 of 25917 Old 09-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Join the club. Lots of options for recording HD -- come over to the HD Recorder forum.
Thanks, I will take you up on that. Bookmarked that forum, and will start reading. I've noticed that 3+TB HDD's seem to be getting less and less expensive......
I used to also use the 515's for time-shifting weekly shows, but that has been mostly replaced by "On Demand," and reruns (like the History Channel's recent multiple showings of "Houdini").

Last edited by MrNews; 09-23-2014 at 07:49 PM.
post #25906 of 25917 Old 09-23-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
I have had a 50" Samsung Series 8 plazma for 4 years. I too quickly noticed the poor sd quality of these boxes. My unit is now connected via OTA and is only used for overflow recording whick is not often since I have the ability to record 4 programs with my TWC DVR'S. Ever time I mention the poor quality of these units and tell folks they need either new glasses or a better TV it creates an uproar. Many thanks for your post to help validate my opinion.
You're welcome. I guess the SD quality wasn't as noticeable on a 34" Sony CRT, which I've been unable to sell on eBay since April... ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-34-TV-W...-/111298760374 ) I was tempted by the BrightHouse HD DVR, but at $12/month (each) and no ability to burn or copy recordings, the DVDRs seemed the way to go. My brother (in England) seems to always have HD movies on thumb drives that work on most TVs- got to ask him how he does that.
post #25907 of 25917 Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
But the newer TV has been kind of an eye-opener (or closer) for this standard def technology. ... Try comparing an SD dub of "2001" to a Blu-ray release on a 51" or 64" TV....
Yup...
These Maggies look great on a standard-def TV... pretty close to broadcast quality on HQ mode...

But...
When a person finally upgrades to a hi-def TV...
the Maggies PQ is then comparable to watching a VCR recording on a standard-def TV... blurry edges, ETC.

It does the job it was made for though...

I'm like a beaver...
A hot little beaver...
post #25908 of 25917 Old 09-24-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro_Stormy View Post
Yup...
These Maggies look great on a standard-def TV... pretty close to broadcast quality on HQ mode...
But... When a person finally upgrades to a hi-def TV...
the Maggies PQ is then comparable to watching a VCR recording on a standard-def TV... blurry edges, ETC.
It does the job it was made for though...
Absolutely agree. We watched a favorite movie ("Suspect") on VHS last week... and immediately ordered it on DVD. Watched it again when it arrived-- Ahhhhh, our eyes were healed. But I did use the Maggies to record lots of the documentaries shown during the 50th anniversary of that Dealey Plaza incident, and they look fine. Appropriately Zapruderish... 😎
post #25909 of 25917 Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Only a few days supply of 533's left at walmart.com

9/22/14 - Only 56 left in stock.
9/23/14 - Only 20 left in stock
9/24/14 - Out of stock online.

|
|
|
post #25910 of 25917 Old 09-24-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the Magnavox MDR55H which has an internal hard drive.` The hard drive is almost full.
Is there any method whereby I can download the contents of the hard drive to an external usb connected
hard drive? I know there is no usb OUTPUT port on the MDR55H, but is there a method of converting
the other outputs on the unit to a USB connection.

Any information, advice, suggestions, etc. welcomed!

Aaron in N. Hollywood
post #25911 of 25917 Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronep View Post
I have the Magnavox MDR55H which has an internal hard drive.` The hard drive is almost full.
Is there any method whereby I can download the contents of the hard drive to an external usb connected
hard drive? I know there is no usb OUTPUT port on the MDR55H, but is there a method of converting
the other outputs on the unit to a USB connection.

Any information, advice, suggestions, etc. welcomed!
Here's some info on copying titles, including HDD-to-HDD.

|
|
|
post #25912 of 25917 Old 09-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
@kmbrlyne - When this happened to me I did a combined solution. A UHF antenna for OTA stations that the DVR can change channels and record in better quality, and for cable-only channels a converter box with RCAs cables running to the E1 (line-in).

Fortunately the cable converter still has old program guide firmware for setting the box to 'record on your vcr'. I can record endless channels and programs with this configuration.

--
(this space for rent)
post #25913 of 25917 Old 09-27-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Unhappy B&W split image with no sound on Magnavox MDR557H/F7

Hi,
My Satellite TV service is encrypted. I have a "tuner" from them (called "YesMax") that allows recording what they show, with programming and all.
Its USB port is disabled, and any access to the HD is prohibited.
Due to technical issues they have already replaced my YesMax 3 times loosing me all the recorded content. They do not agree to install the recorded HD in the new YesMax instead of the new empty HD.
I needed something to back up my recordings, and was told I can only record while viewing the content, which is not ideal, but acceptable at this stage. I read you review and thought this was the thing for me to.
After getting it to Israel from Amazon, I connected the YesMax video-out port (only options are RCA or S-Vid, for lack of an HDMI input port on the Magnavox MDR557H/F7) to the Magnavox, connected the Magnavox to the TV by an HDMI cabele, and hoped for the best.
However, the picture is B&W, there is no sound and the lower quarter of the image displays on the top of the screen.

To rule out possible faults in the system I verified the following:
1. tested the same connection cables with other devices, and directly to the TV: it all works.
2. played a US region DVD on the Magnavox (what a shame this is not a multizone device) and got an excellent colored picture and audio on the TV.
3. connected a portable DVD player using the same RCA cable and Magnavox input port which I tried with the YesMax, and this time I did get a colored image and good audio on the TV.
4. The YesMax is usually connected directly to the TV by HDMI, and to a receiver by a digital audio cable and an RCA for video output which works just fine (albeit in SD and not HD).

So it boils down to this:
The Magavox cannot read the video output of my YesMax correctly.
The problem sounds like an NTSC device cannot read the PAL system but the Magnavox should be able to read PAL.

Can you think of a solution before I have to send it back?
Thanks
Shahar
post #25914 of 25917 Old 09-27-2014, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahar View Post
The problem sounds like an NTSC device cannot read the PAL system
I would say that this is the problem, unfortunately.
post #25915 of 25917 Old 09-27-2014, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahar View Post
After getting it to Israel from Amazon, I connected the YesMax video-out port (only options are RCA or S-Vid, for lack of an HDMI input port on the Magnavox MDR557H/F7) to the Magnavox, connected the Magnavox to the TV by an HDMI cabele, and hoped for the best.
However, the picture is B&W, there is no sound and the lower quarter of the image displays on the top of the screen.
So it boils down to this:
The Magavox cannot read the video output of my YesMax correctly.
The problem sounds like an NTSC device cannot read the PAL system but the Magnavox should be able to read PAL.
Yes, that's the problem.

Although my review on Amazon mentions this Mag's "NTSC/ATSC/QAM" tuner and "North America," I added several more "NTSC/ATSC/QAM" and "not PAL" refs in the opening paragraphs to make sure other PAL users don't end up with the same problem.

Only options are to get a PAL>NTSC converter and put it between the YesMax box and the Mag, or just return the Mag. I don't know how well these work, but here are some converters on Amazon.

|
|
|

Last edited by wajo; 09-27-2014 at 05:51 AM.
post #25916 of 25917 Old 09-27-2014, 07:43 AM

Thank you Wajo and plplplpl.
That was a quick reply.
Lets hope Amazon takes it back.
Thanks.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but do you guys know if I can connect a laptop to receive the video feed and record it on the laptop's hard drive?
Someone who I asked about the problem said that a streamer should be able to receive the video feed and save it to a hard disk or a laptop. Is that a reasonable solution?
Shahar
post #25917 of 25917 Old 09-27-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Been doing the HD to hard drives for years now but got my start with a internal clear QAM HDTV tuner and several 3575's back in the day, one with a upgraded hard drive. Now I just use my HDHomeRun Prime a bunch of big drives and my PC with media center on it, almost nver burn a disk anymore but before the media players and my network I burned everything HD to disk to watch later I still have boxes of disks sitting around that will probably never be watched again.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com