Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 866 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #25951 of 25966 Old 10-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
My guess is the Roku basically downconverts it's HD signal for the SD output,...
Yes of course the Roku down converts HD to SD.But with a higher incoming bitrate and the added video information available with the Roku set to 720p (~3000kbts) vs.the bitrate you'll typically get with the Roku set to 480i,(~750-1500 kbts)from NF,the pic. is clearer,sharper,and a bit more detailed.To my eyes the higher bitrate @720p vs 480i (~3000kbts vs 1500kbts at best) makes the diff.between having a ho-hum recording that i have to 'make do' with,and having PQ that is satisfying to my eyes.I can tell the diff. between 3000kbts vs 1500kbts by looking at hair. 3000kbts (720p) that has been converted to analog,then downrezzed to 480i still lets me see detail like individual hairs on a persons head whereas 1500kbts (480i SD) converted to analog tends to make hair look more like a solid mass of something,without enough detail to really see many individual hairs,more like clumps of strands of hair....it's really hard to put into words very effectively.Maybe 'indistinct' is the word i should use to describe what hair looks like with a digital bitrate of 1500kbts converted to analog SD.

Last edited by greaser; 10-10-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25952 of 25966 Old 10-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mag 557

I want to hook the Magnavox MDR557h/F7 DVR up to record one channel while I watch another and I have a cable box. I don't have a coax running from cable co. only a telephone line running to my modem and then a telephone line running to my cable box. Is there a way I can still set up the DVR to record one while watching another? That is the only reason for the DVR for me.
post #25953 of 25966 Old 10-13-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conconrid View Post
I want to hook the Magnavox MDR557h/F7 DVR up to record one channel while I watch another and I have a cable box. I don't have a coax running from cable co. only a telephone line running to my modem and then a telephone line running to my cable box. Is there a way I can still set up the DVR to record one while watching another? That is the only reason for the DVR for me.
I don't quite follow the no coax thing. I am not a cable TV expert, but I find it hard to believe you have no coax involved.

But if you can only use your cable box to watch TV, you can only record that.
post #25954 of 25966 Old 10-13-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Mag 557

Sorry but there isn't a coax coming in from cable co. My cable and DSL are thru my telephone company so everything is run thru their modem. No coax, only telephone and ethernet lines. I checked and double checked to make sure. The lines come from my phone box on the side of my house.
post #25955 of 25966 Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
You would need another STB to be able to record from and at that point you might just want to consider a cable company DVR as a Magnavox could only record the channel you left your STB tuned to, IOW you couldn't record from multiple channels while you were away, only the single channel you left your STB tuned to.
post #25956 of 25966 Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
...ok "defrag" probably the wrong term. Two issues I want to get around. 1) on my Phillips 3575H I have deadspots on my HDD that result in frozen playback and inability to dub those titles to DVD. I edit them out by "title dividing" out the ~ 30 seconds of bad data, and lock/protecting that slice so it won't be recorded over again. 2) conceptually, say you've recorded ten 30 minute titles; you watch and delete titles 2, 7, & 9. You now record a 1 hour program, and I'm guessing the DVR fills in the free apace where programs 2 and 7 were. Over time, the DVR must be recording a single title across all parts of of a disk... In "defrag" terms, the disk gets re-packed, and bad sectors are marked as unavailable, leaving a clean slate for recording new data. I'd like to do this for my older DVRs... is there any way to accomplish this?

thanks,
rog
post #25957 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Sorry but there isn't a coax coming in from cable co. My cable and DSL are thru my telephone company so everything is run thru their modem. No coax, only telephone and ethernet lines. I checked and double checked to make sure. The lines come from my phone box on the side of my house.
Odd. But like we said, you can only record what is being shown on your box. At that time.

jjeff is right. These DVR's aren't really good for those types of setups. unfortunately
post #25958 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
That's interesting. I suspect those cables are ethernet and not telephone cables. Looks like your provider is supplying an IPTV solution. You say in a subsequent post it is your telco supplying service -- which telco is it and in what region are you located? Are you in the US? If so can you tell us what state -- otherwise, what country.

With an IPTV feed you are in a closed system. Your only option to record anything with 3rd party equipment is to feed it from one of your STB's which won't be satisfactory for general time-shifting. You are most likely going to have to use/rent your providers equipment for DVR functionality.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #25959 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogDVR View Post
...ok "defrag" probably the wrong term. Two issues I want to get around. 1) on my Phillips 3575H I have deadspots on my HDD that result in frozen playback and inability to dub those titles to DVD. I edit them out by "title dividing" out the ~ 30 seconds of bad data, and lock/protecting that slice so it won't be recorded over again. 2) conceptually, say you've recorded ten 30 minute titles; you watch and delete titles 2, 7, & 9. You now record a 1 hour program, and I'm guessing the DVR fills in the free apace where programs 2 and 7 were. Over time, the DVR must be recording a single title across all parts of of a disk... In "defrag" terms, the disk gets re-packed, and bad sectors are marked as unavailable, leaving a clean slate for recording new data. I'd like to do this for my older DVRs... is there any way to accomplish this?

Here's a help file on how I fixed my refurb'd 3575 HDD that exhibited similar symptoms.
post #25960 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
If your system has a "DVR-like" box that you can set future shows for recording (with their equipment), you can set multiple future programs to record, then set corresponding timer programs in the 557. Both your equipment and the 557 will then play/record at the same time from the proper channel.

Your tel. equipment "box" will also have to have coax and/or YWR RCA outputs, which it sounds as if it doesn't. Those (plus S-Video and DV for camera) are the only inputs your 557 can record from. If coax output only, the 557 can record from it since you'd just set ch. 3 (or whatever ch. your box is set to output on) as the "Source" for your 557's timer recording. If YWR RCA or S-Video output from the box, you'd set either L1 or L2 (front or back input) as the "Source," dep. on whether you connected to the back or front line input on the 557.

That would just allow recording on the 557, not sure how to get a watch/record diff. channels without further details.

Last edited by wajo; 10-14-2014 at 02:13 PM.
post #25961 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
On my 2160 should I be able to record OTA Dolby 5.1 and playback 5.1? When I record OTA Broadcast like Austin City Limits and Dancing with the Stars, all I get is 2 channels.
post #25962 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
On my 2160 should I be able to record OTA Dolby 5.1 and playback 5.1? When I record OTA Broadcast like Austin City Limits and Dancing with the Stars, all I get is 2 channels.
No. The 2160 records with Dolby 2.0 audio compression. It'll play DD5.1 back from a commercial DVD that has DD5.1.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #25963 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
When I record OTA Broadcast like Austin City Limits and Dancing with the Stars, all I get is 2 channels.
Austin City Limits is broadcast in 2-channel stereo only.
post #25964 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That's interesting. I suspect those cables are ethernet and not telephone cables. Looks like your provider is supplying an IPTV solution. You say in a subsequent post it is your telco supplying service -- which telco is it and in what region are you located? Are you in the US? If so can you tell us what state -- otherwise, what country.

With an IPTV feed you are in a closed system. Your only option to record anything with 3rd party equipment is to feed it from one of your STB's which won't be satisfactory for general time-shifting. You are most likely going to have to use/rent your providers equipment for DVR functionality.
My uncles like home near the sticks has such a system. Their local service provides telephone, internet and cable TV(limited number of channels) via fiber and then outside the house it's converted to cat5 cable that runs to the cable companies equipment (router, STB, etc.) inside the house.
It's kind of an association co-op type of thing, it really had me scratching my head the first time I saw it.
post #25965 of 25966 Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 219
AT&T U-verse is similar.
post #25966 of 25966 Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
AT&T U-verse is similar.

Same here.
I put in my cat5 back in 2002. I was amazed that no
separate cable line were installed. They didn't even use
HDMI cable. Component lines were all the AT&T tech
said they used to go from their tuner to my LG tv.

I wish one of these months they will give us a free HDTV weekend!!
I think we have had STARZ,HBO etc. 2 or 3 times this year already. I do have RCA lines going from Cable tuner to my 535. Some movies no copy guard.
Lincoln looks good on my 535!!
Mark

Last edited by MarkB49; 10-17-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page