Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 868 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #26011 of 26015 Old 11-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Well, I don't own a Magnavox but . . . If the Magnavox 557 allows you to join two segments of different resolution to a single title in -VR mode, it will have to burn the resulting title to DVD-R in real-time to re-encode to a single resolution.
Titles i might be interested in joining would be of the same resolution but in diff.record modes,e.g.;SP/HQ.
If you meant record mode then you're saying that you think the dub to disc would have to be in real time because re-encoding of at least one of the titles would have to be done,right??....hmmm...if that's true then.....then my idea is out the window.
For my idea to work Requires the newly conjoined titles (now 1 title) to be HSD'd to disc,still in their Original record modes(SP/HQ) AND be playable on any DVD player.It's an absolute must.A re-encode and real time dub won't do the trick.DANG!!

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by greaser; 11-17-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26012 of 26015 Old 11-18-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Titles i might be interested in joining would be of the same resolution but in diff.record modes,e.g.;SP/HQ.
For a DVD-Video title, resolution must be the constant, bitrate can be whatever.
My understanding is that HQ/SP are the same 720x480i resolution so they can in principal be combined by the DVDR and burned without real-time re-coding. I know I can do that on a PC editor. What the Magnavox 557 can actually do is still an open question that may take some time to ferret out. It does not appear to be a popular recorder.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26013 of 26015 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just bought the Magnavox MDR557H dvd recorder (has tuner and hard drive) after my old Panasonic EZ48VK died. I hooked it up with an HDMI cable to my HDTV. Recording programs to the unit’s hard drive is great and you can hardly distinguish between the actual program and the recording. But it has a lot to be desired when it comes to playing store bought movies on dvd in the dvd player. The picture quality is terrible compared to that of my old Panasonic recorder where the color was equal to what you would see at the theater. With the Magnavox the color is comparable to what you would see in some of those old 70’s movies that you see on tv. I have searched online to see if anyone else is having this problem, but cannot find any answers. I tried changing video settings from my tv remote and also from the menu on the dvd screen, but nothing I do improves the color. I am using the same tv and HDMI cable that I used with my old Panasonic when the picture was awesome. Is there some type of adjustment that I don’t know about or did I just buy a defective dvd recorder? I don’t know much about these things, but I had expected movies that were store bought would have excellent picture quality. Any help would be appreciated.
post #26014 of 26015 Old Today, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The 557 *should* play store-bought movies in excellent quality.

Assuming your 557 is connected directly to a HDTV, the only thing I can think of is that you may not have "activated" the HDMI circuit. You do this by changing the HDMI Format via the HDMI button on the remote. Ratchet through all 4 HDMI formats (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p), which appear in the 557 display window. Any formats not supported by your HDTV won't be used/seen.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com