Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 868 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #26011 of 26025 Old 11-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Well, I don't own a Magnavox but . . . If the Magnavox 557 allows you to join two segments of different resolution to a single title in -VR mode, it will have to burn the resulting title to DVD-R in real-time to re-encode to a single resolution.
Titles i might be interested in joining would be of the same resolution but in diff.record modes,e.g.;SP/HQ.
If you meant record mode then you're saying that you think the dub to disc would have to be in real time because re-encoding of at least one of the titles would have to be done,right??....hmmm...if that's true then.....then my idea is out the window.
For my idea to work Requires the newly conjoined titles (now 1 title) to be HSD'd to disc,still in their Original record modes(SP/HQ) AND be playable on any DVD player.It's an absolute must.A re-encode and real time dub won't do the trick.DANG!!

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by greaser; 11-17-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26012 of 26025 Old 11-18-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Titles i might be interested in joining would be of the same resolution but in diff.record modes,e.g.;SP/HQ.
For a DVD-Video title, resolution must be the constant, bitrate can be whatever.
My understanding is that HQ/SP are the same 720x480i resolution so they can in principal be combined by the DVDR and burned without real-time re-coding. I know I can do that on a PC editor. What the Magnavox 557 can actually do is still an open question that may take some time to ferret out. It does not appear to be a popular recorder.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26013 of 26025 Old 11-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just bought the Magnavox MDR557H dvd recorder (has tuner and hard drive) after my old Panasonic EZ48VK died. I hooked it up with an HDMI cable to my HDTV. Recording programs to the unit’s hard drive is great and you can hardly distinguish between the actual program and the recording. But it has a lot to be desired when it comes to playing store bought movies on dvd in the dvd player. The picture quality is terrible compared to that of my old Panasonic recorder where the color was equal to what you would see at the theater. With the Magnavox the color is comparable to what you would see in some of those old 70’s movies that you see on tv. I have searched online to see if anyone else is having this problem, but cannot find any answers. I tried changing video settings from my tv remote and also from the menu on the dvd screen, but nothing I do improves the color. I am using the same tv and HDMI cable that I used with my old Panasonic when the picture was awesome. Is there some type of adjustment that I don’t know about or did I just buy a defective dvd recorder? I don’t know much about these things, but I had expected movies that were store bought would have excellent picture quality. Any help would be appreciated.
post #26014 of 26025 Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The 557 *should* play store-bought movies in excellent quality.

Assuming your 557 is connected directly to a HDTV, the only thing I can think of is that you may not have "activated" the HDMI circuit. You do this by changing the HDMI Format via the HDMI button on the remote. Ratchet through all 4 HDMI formats (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p), which appear in the 557 display window. Any formats not supported by your HDTV won't be used/seen.
post #26015 of 26025 Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I currently own a 5-year-old Phillips 3576 which still works, but I'm starting to wonder how much longer it will last. I purchased a Magnavox mdr537H from Walmart about a month ago and, after going through the auto channel set up (I did use the 'analog/digital' option), found out that some of the digital channels my cable co sends were not 'found' by the new unit which the older Phillips unit found without any problem. I was even unable to get the unit to recognize these channels and receive them by inputting the channel number manually. I called tech support who hand-held me through the auto channel set up again without success. At first, tech support tried to tell me there was something wrong with my cable signal until I told them that my older machine had no problem receiving these channels, then I was told the tuner was defective and returned the unit to Walmart.

Today, I noticed a review on Walmart.com (dated Nov 4, 2014 by 'GaveUpRecording') where a reviewer complained that this device won't allow the addition of channels above what he called the 'major channel'. He stated that he spoke with tech support was was told this device wouldn't do what he was trying to accomplish. I'm not sure what he meant by 'major channel' but am wondering if this refers to the subchannels that many stations carry in addition to their main brodcast channel because, if my memory is correct, my new unit was able to find the main channel of one of our stations, but not its associated subchannels, in fact, when I entered the subchannel's number into the remote, the unit went to what I think was the associated 'main' channel.

Does anyone know if the newer unit is only capable of picking up a station's main channel and not its associated subchannels or if there is any other reason why the newer model wouldn't be able to pick up all the channels my older one did other than being defective? I'd love to buy a newer one before the old one dies on me, but if it can't pick up all of the channels that I watch there's no point.

Thanks

John
post #26016 of 26025 Old 11-23-2014, 08:15 PM

CORRECTION!! The review I mentioned by 'GaveUpRecording' was actually dated Nov 5, 2014 NOT Nov 4. I apologize for the confusion.
post #26017 of 26025 Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wajo, thank you for your reply. I followed your suggestion and tried each one of the HDMI settings, but the color did not improve when playing back a movie from a commercial disc. Yes, my HDMI cable is connected directly to my HDTV and I am using an antenna for over the air broadcasts. Right now I have the setting at 1080p. Not really sure what I can do except maybe exchange the unit for another 557 and hope the color quality is better on that one. If you know of another dvd recorder out there that is decent and has a digital tuner, I might go with that instead.
post #26018 of 26025 Old 11-24-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
AFAICT, the 557 and a few 53x are the only NEW SD HDD recorder available today, but there are quite a few HD recorders available.
post #26019 of 26025 Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Some other information on HD recorders: 2014 list of consumer available DVR's
post #26020 of 26025 Old 11-25-2014, 06:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtplenge View Post
I currently own a 5-year-old Phillips 3576 which still works, but I'm starting to wonder how much longer it will last. I purchased a Magnavox mdr537H from Walmart about a month ago and, after going through the auto channel set up (I did use the 'analog/digital' option), found out that some of the digital channels my cable co sends were not 'found' by the new unit which the older Phillips unit found without any problem. I was even unable to get the unit to recognize these channels and receive them by inputting the channel number manually.
I think they call this PROGRESS ...

Just went through that with my Samsung Series 7 tv. Love the set, but it has it's quirks. Just replaced the rotor on my OTA antenna and tried tuning some fringe stations north of me that my old Sony could get. Come to find out, you can't manually add stations! Samsung suggested I run autotune every time I turn the antenna. Do that, and I lose the fringe stations in the other direction. Turn the antenna back around, do it again. What a hot steaming load of progress that is ... <grumble>

What I gotta do is wait for one of those perfect reception nights, and try turning the antenna to where I can drag in most of the stations, then write the rest off as a lost cause ... <mutter>

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #26021 of 26025 Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 PM

Liked: 12
PS ... cross post, long as I'm thinking of it ... anyone else ever get around to adding external drives to their Maggie to increase storage? I got into that a while back - not all that difficult. Also just figured out an easy way to back the drives up and protect my investment.

Bop on over if you're interested ...

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #26022 of 26025 Old 11-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post
What I gotta do is wait for one of those perfect reception nights, and try turning the antenna to where I can drag in most of the stations, then write the rest off as a lost cause ... <mutter>
They wouldn't have to be totally lost. You could get an iView or one of its workalikes for the stations the TV and your Mag both refuse to find, and have HD record and playback functionality as a bonus.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #26023 of 26025 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Liked: 10
DVD Recorder Problems Copying HDD to DVDs

I apologize if this post is not in the right place but I am not familiar with how to post in this forum.

I'm beginning to have a problem copying programs from the HDD to +RW DVDs on my Mag MDR513H DVD Recorder . I've had problems now with three or four DVD disks. I copy two programs at a time. In one case the Mag gives an error that it can't write to the Disk halfway through the copying. In one case it copied the two shows but the PC software (VLC Media Player and WinX DVD Ripper Platinum ) couldn't read the disk. In the latest case it copied the two shows but there is something wrong with the "end of file" indication after the first show. The DVD index shows two shows but when I try to use WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to copy & convert just the first show to MP4, it doesn't recognize the "end of file" indication and continues ripping the second show in the same output MP4 file with the first show. It's even stranger in that VLC Media Player shows the two shows as separate files on the DVD but when it plays the first show it also doesn't stop at the end of the first show (file) but continues playing the second show.

While I've re-used these DVDs about fifty (50) times and I know they are supposed to be re-usable for well over one hundred times, I also know that +RW disks can go bad. It's just that these problems have been happening over the past week which leads me to suspect the possibility of the problem being with the recorder.

It's been suggested to me that the laser is dying and since RW's are less reflective they're harder to burn. Does sound like it is the problem? If so, which Mag Recorder model would be a good replacement unit to buy? (513s are no longer available).

Thank you for your assistance.
post #26024 of 26025 Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewABC View Post
While I've re-used these DVDs about fifty (50) times and I know they are supposed to be re-usable for well over one hundred times, I also know that +RW disks can go bad. It's just that these problems have been happening over the past week which leads me to suspect the possibility of the problem being with the recorder.

It's been suggested to me that the laser is dying and since RW's are less reflective they're harder to burn. Does sound like it is the problem? If so, which Mag Recorder model would be a good replacement unit to buy? (513s are no longer available).

Thank you for your assistance.
Try switching to DVD-RW discs. My 515 and 513 recorders both have trouble with DVD+RW but they burn DVD-RW media without any issues.
NewABC likes this.
post #26025 of 26025 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Try switching to DVD-RW discs. My 515 and 513 recorders both have trouble with DVD+RW but they burn DVD-RW media without any issues.
Thank you Ken.F for your suggestion. Though I have not had problems with +RW in four years, until now, I will try your recommendation.

Last edited by NewABC; Yesterday at 08:05 PM. Reason: Adding Quote.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com