AVS Forum banner

Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575

4M views 28K replies 1K participants last post by  DoctorM 
#1 · (Edited)

NOTE: This post & linked help files have been updated continuously since inception.

Magnavox 557, 53x, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
N.A. Models: Mag MDR513H/F7,515,533,535,537,557 - H2160MW9,9A - H2080MW8 - Philips DVDR3575H/37,3576

10 years and 9 generations of std def (SD 480i) HDD/DVD recorders with single analog/digital tuners for antenna or unscrambled cable... 12 gens if you add the latest HD models. The 9th-gen and last SD model, 1TB Mag MDR557, was released in April 2014 and has some important differences as described here. All have HDD, DVD and inputs for recording/copying from external sources like cable/sat STBs, DVRs, VCRs, cameras, etc.

Info/help on first 9 gens: Quick Answers ... Help File Index.

Important Notes:
  1. To learn all you need to know, it's simple: click "post #1" above right and bookmark it, then click links to go DIRECTLY to help files... from this post to answers in one click! If you have questions, click Comment/Question button, or send me a PM
  2. Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links herein will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
  3. If you can't get a link to work, you can copy and paste the following text in your browser's address bar:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=22427935
    then hover over the link that doesn't work, copy or write down the link's post #, then replace the "22427935" in the address bar with the number you copied or wrote down.

In April 2014, Funai, an award-winning Japanese company and Walmart Strategic Vendor, released its 9th-generation, 1TB MDR557H/F7 model. Each generation has been a yearly improvement of the same basic design first introduced in Jan 2007 (Philips 3575) as the first and only HDD recorder designed for the U.S. digital transition.

That gen-1 model won a 2007 CES award for innovation as the ONLY recorder, SD or HD (720p/1080i/p), available (then and now) with HDD, analog & digital tuners for antenna or cable, on-board disc drive for burning/playing DVDs & playing CDs, and line inputs.

They don't have multiple tuners or a "Guide" like cable/sat DVRs or TiVo, but no extra "fee" either, and they do have some DVR features like record to HDD, auto-record buffer (Mags), pause/rewind live TV, skip/replay, chase play, simultaneous play/record, resume-play on all partially viewed HDD titles, and more.

They also have many features DVRs don't have like record/copy to DVD, play DVDs/CDs, customize rec mode/bit rates to maximize HDD and DVD capacity, amplified coax passthru on or off (to watch one channel while recording another), composite/S-Video/DV-firewire inputs for copying stuff from VCRs/DVRs/CDs/cameras, 6-hour buffer on Mags (much larger than HD DVRs), editing on HDD/DVD, multiple options for skip/replay times, 0.8X and 1.3X playback with audio, and lots more.

They're the perfect 1st step into the 21st Century of home recording from antenna or unscrambled cable. No media to handle until you want your home movies on DVDs. Just press REC and you're recording or set timers with show names (pre-titling) and watch later. Go on a month's vacation and find all your shows in a title list, with show name, live index pic, date and day of week, ready to play. The HDD will spoil you rotten!

QUICK ANSWERS to Common Questions/Problems

Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links herein will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default

• Initial Setup - Coax is passthru only. Menus, channels, playback go thru line connection to TV.
  • Auto Clock - OTA antenna can maintain dead-on time, cable not so much. Try 11:57 Procedure to find and confirm a good time signal.
  • DVD Tray - Won't open until you set unit up, scan channels, THEN press DVD button.
  • Connection - Coax passes antenna/cable signal thru to cable box or TV for separate tuning. You need "line output" to TV to see internal DVDR stuff and watch/record diff. channels by selecting appropriate TV input (ANT or line input).
  • HDMI - PITA! Slow startup, must "chat" w/TV! For 1st time use, press "HDMI" button thru all four formats.
  • Timers - Set clock first. For weekly/daily show, use DOWN arrow in date box of timer menu.
  • Widescreen - Set Video > TV Aspect to "16:9 Wide" even if you don't have 16:9 TV yet... prevents that pissed-off feeling when you do get one and you play back your recorded 16:9 shows.
  • Editing - Making Front- and End-Cuts (Scene Deletes) is not documented in the manual.
  • Dubbing - Two methods for DVD>HDD. Finalized DVD requires Direct Dubbing 1 title at a time.
  • Finalizing - NOT automatic. Use Disc Edit > Finalize. Must have at least 60-min. to next timer program. DO NOT use Auto Finalize since you lose control of when that happens.
  • AV Outputs - Composite Yellow and S-Video OUT on Mags won't work if Progressive scan is ON.
  • AV Inputs - Won't work if Video > Video Input is not set to type of cable used. Clue: Audio w/no video if wrong setting.
  • Remote - Has thin plastic film over face that loosens and makes text harder to see. Remove it.
  • Bad Picture - Could be HDMI button not pressed or DVDR unplugged or no power (not in Standby).
  • Dead Unit - Check batt., try power button on unit, do Soft Reset, check for tuning interference.
  • Tuning Problems - Duplicate channels can cause tuning, timer & even power-on problems
  • Uverse/Satellite/All-Scrambled Cable - All encrypted. Tuner useless unless you add antenna. Simul. record/copy only.
  • Top 12 Things Wrong, Misleading or Omitted in the Manual - Pre-557 manuals are wrong? Ubetcha!

DOUBLE-INDEXED HELP FILES... Double-indexed links for easy "drill-down": 67 major subjects in 11 categories here, leading to 349 detailed discussions.

Disclaimer: Information here is published on a "best-efforts" basis. It can be incomplete or wrong on occasion. Please use due diligence to verify for yourself that names, places, products, parts, etc. are correct for you and your use. IOW, use at your own risk.

Dates: Ignore the original post date on these help file pages. The June 2014 SW change from Huddler HTML to VB SW deleted the "Last edited" dates at bottom of pages, but they were all current as of 6/14/14.

Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links herein will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default

1. IMPORTANT STUFF

2. GENERAL NEED-TO-KNOW STUFF

3. SETUP
... "Setup" is "Menu" button on 515/53x/557 remote.

4. RECORDING & COPYING... See Section 6, Dubbing, for copying w/internal drives HDD>DVD>HDD.

5. EDITING... With undocumented instructions for Front- and End Cuts.

• Edit with This DVDR... Name Title, Delete Title, Delete Scene, Divide Title, Protect Title, Add/Delete Chapter, Index Pic, & Combine Title (557 only on HDD and DVD-VR discs).
  • Edit with PC/MAC

6. DUBBING... Using internal drives for making copies.

7. PLAYBACK & PAUSE LIVE TV (PLTV)

8. HARDWARE (HW), FIRMWARE (FW), UTILITIES, TROUBLESHOOTING

9. REMOTE OPS

10. HIGH-TECH STUFF & THE FUTURE

11. SELLERS & SUPPORT... (models in order of newest to oldest generation)

Gen9 - 557 (Apr 2014) - Magnavox MDR557H, 1TB SATA HDD. Video/VR-mode recording, Playlists, Combine Titles, no Empty Titles on DVDs, lots more as described here.

• Ordering and Replacing Internal Parts & Getting Service Manual (SM).
  • Level 1 Support, Connection/Ops/Troubleshooting, 1-800-605-8610, 7 days/wk, 9:00am-11:00pm EST. Not a knowledgeable source for help... often results in advice to "return it" even tho answer is in one of the help file links above!
  • Level 2 Support, Accessories/Remotes/Repair/Warranty, 1-888-290-0871, M-F, 8:30am-5:30pm EST.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UH. Works on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers or call Level 2 Support.
  • $18 Universal Learning Remote - - (now $7.47 online), Philips SRP Series. Works well with Mag & Philips HDD DVDRs plus 5 other component types (TVs, DVRs, AVRs, players, VCRs, etc.), and it controls TV volume when using any device.

Gen8 - 53x Series (Sep 2012) - Magnavox MDR533/535/537H, 320/500/1000GB SATA HDDs, +VR-std recording. Only difference is HDD size. Same FW Versions. Same Op. Manual.

• Amazon, Refurb/Used, Funai 1-yr parts/90-day labor warranty on New units, typ. Funai 90-day P/L on refurbs (but check w/refurb seller). 30-day Return Policy on "Sold by Amazon" products. Ship to Canada.
    533 (320GB)
    535 (500GB)
    537 (1TB)
  • Operating Manual.
  • Level 1 Support, Connection/Ops/Troubleshooting, 1-800-605-8610, 7 days/wk, 9:00am-11:00pm EST. Not a knowledgeable source for help... often results in advice to "return it" even tho answer is in one of the help file links above!
  • Level 2 Support, Accessories/Remotes/Repair/Warranty, 1-888-290-0871, M-F, 8:30am-5:30pm EST.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UD except 557, which is NC003UH. They work on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers.
  • $18 Universal Learning Remote - - (now $7.47 online), Philips SRP Series. Works well with Mag & Philips HDD DVDRs plus 5 other component types (TVs, DVRs, AVRs, players, VCRs, etc.), and it controls TV volume when using any device.

Gen7 - 515 (Nov 2010) - Magnavox MDR515H, 500GB SATA HDD, +VR-std recording.

• Operating Manual. 4.4MB pdf.
  • FW Update.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UD except 557, which is NC003UH. They work on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers.

Gen6 - 513 (Apr 2010) - Magnavox MDR513H, 320GB SATA HDD, +VR-std recording. Can be made to operate like 515 with SuperFW 727V, as described here.

Gen5 - 2160A (Mar 2009) - Magnavox H2160MW9A, 160GB SATA HDD, +VR-std recording. Can be made to operate like 515 with SuperFW 727V, as described here.

• Original OEM Remote, NB820UD. $14-20 Amazon. Google for other online sellers.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UD except 557, which is NC003UH. They work on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers or call Level 2 Support.

Gen4 - 2160 (May 2008) - Magnavox H2160MW9, 160GB PATA HDD, +VR-std recording, my "bullet-proof" model.

• Original OEM Remote, NB820UD. $14-20 Amazon. Google for other online sellers or call Level 2 Support.

Gen3 - 3576 (Apr 2008) - Philips DVDR3576H, 160GB PATA HDD, +VR-std recording.

Gen2 - 2080 (Jul 2007)
-
Magnavox H2080MW8, 80GB PATA HDD, +VR-std recording. MainAVSForum thread here.

• Amazon Used-Refurb. ?
  • Operating Manual. 25.8MB pdf.
  • OEM Remote, NC003UD except 557, which is NC003UH. They work on all Mag HDD models. Google for online sellers or call Level 2 Support.

Gen1 - 3575 (Jan 2007) - Philips DVDR3575H, 160GB PATA HDD, +VR-std recording. My workhorse testbed model.

See less See more
#17,361 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21369328

I have another dumb question about timer recording. If you set the timer to record a program every wednesday and then say you watch on Thursday.If you delete the program after watching it ,will it remove the every wednesday record from the timer list?

Nope, if you mean "delete the recorded show." If you delete the timer rec "program," then yes (of course).

#17,362 ·
High on my list would be a better EPG, it's lame it only shows you the current show rather then a schedule, makes it harder to program too.(got to go to tvguide.com and write down what it says)

Tulpa, don't some over the air stuff, show in 720? If not, there is HD cable/satellite service one could record without losing quality, aside from blu-ray

I wasn't talking about a blu-ray recorder anyway, a device that plays blu-ray but only burns DVD would be fine too.

This model is also filled with out of date analog stuff that I am sure increases the price.

So none of you guys have heard of a more up to date player that might come out any time within the next few decades?

If there are players elsewhere in the world like that, can't I just order it from over seas?

#17,365 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21369659

one other question....did they ever have a firmware update for the 515? I have not seen a mention of it from the forum.

You just missed it because so much was written about it.
2160A & 513 owners have been upgrading to it, and calling their machines V2160A and V513 due to the V in its file name, HD6A269727V1E.

#17,366 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21369659

one other question....did they ever have a firmware update for the 515? I have not seen a mention of it from the forum.

Thanks again

Information on the various 2160A/513/515 firmware upgrades MrMazda referred to, are detailed in wajo's posts HERE .

#17,367 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21368717

Last night I recorded a show on a ss channel. The picture quality isn't as good as the original signal which was grainy to start. I made the adjustments to the HDMI cable setting, turned off progressive scan as the picture quality did not improve. Are there any settings I am missing? The tuner on the old Panny ez-28 seemed to provide a cleaner picture on the sd channels, they just seem grainy. I know SD has its limitations.

The analog tuner of the Maggy is clearly weak (but no so bad as some LG's, Samsungs, or Encores). If you record a lot from an local analog source, you should get an external tuner, like a VCR and plug it via L1 or L2.

Even if you spend your money on an expensive professional aerial antenna installation, the Maggy won't be benefited.

#17,368 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruePurple /forum/post/21369404

Tulpa, don't some over the air stuff, show in 720? If not, there is HD cable/satellite service one could record without losing quality, aside from blu-ray

Sure, but again, DVD maxes out at 480i, so all DVD recorders are limited to 480i recording resolution to their hard drives (if they have one.) There are devices that record full HD resolutions to hard drives, but they don't have DVD burners, and probably never will.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about a blu-ray recorder anyway, a device that plays blu-ray but only burns DVD would be fine too.

Nothing like that on the market. Probably never will be given the cheapness of standalone Blu-ray players now.

The majority of the market buys a PS3 or a cheap player and uses a cable DVR (or a sat DVR or a TiVo) for recording. If they want a DVD copy, they just buy it on Amazon. The market for a Blu-ray player/DVD recorder combo is not looking very viable (DVD recorders themselves are barely hanging on as it is.)

Quote:
This model is also filled with out of date analog stuff that I am sure increases the price.

Right, but I don't think they'll drop the analog stuff, seeing as that's the only way to record on line-in stuff. HDMI inputs won't be put on any new recorders. Too many legal obstacles and copy protection hurdles.

Quote:
So none of you guys have heard of a more up to date player that might come out any time within the next few decades?

A few decades is eternity for electronics. The only thing for sure in the next few years is an increase in streaming devices. Otherwise, no idea.
Quote:
If there are players elsewhere in the world like that, can't I just order it from over seas?

Nope. Incompatible tuners and likely incompatible video standards. Nothing stopping you from buying one, but it would be useless here.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but this has been hammered out many a time in the recorder forum. The Magnavox is about as good as it gets in the DVD recorder realm now. Anything beyond that would likely have to be served with a PC solution.

#17,369 ·
i just got a Magnavox 515 last week, and am having a tuning problem that seems to be pretty common as I have been reading through this thread. Here is what is happening, and what I have tried so far -

Did an initial autoscan for analog/digital. Tuner did not recognize channel 4 (ABC) or channel 9 (Public TV); both of these channels work fine on the tuner on my LG TV. Tried a second scan with same results. After reading various suggestions on this forum, I then looked through all of the digital channels to see if there were any duplicates that might be causing interference, but did not find a duplicate of either.

I then did another autoscan but pulled the cable as soon as the stations I cared about had been scanned, just in case I had missed something while looking for dupes. No luck. Did another autoscan just to put everything back.

Next I tried to enter the channels manually. Once entered I surfed to the appropriate channel setting; screen said "scanning" but no station/signal was found. Left manual settings in place.

Next I went to the analog tuner and deleted the two channels, both of which had the same channel number as their digital counterparts. Tried the DTV stations, still no luck.

At this point I just don't know what to do next. I don't really care if I can't get the public TV station, but there are lots of shows on ABC that I'd like to record using the DTV tuner. As I said, this station shows up just fine on the tuner on my TV, so I don't see any reason why the Magnavox is unable to receive it.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

#17,370 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javtosser /forum/post/21370319

i just got a Magnavox 515 last week, and am having a tuning problem that seems to be pretty common as I have been reading through this thread. Here is what is happening, and what I have tried so far -

Did an initial autoscan for analog/digital. Tuner did not recognize channel 4 (ABC) or channel 9 (Public TV); both of these channels work fine on the tuner on my LG TV. Tried a second scan with same results. After reading various suggestions on this forum, I then looked through all of the digital channels to see if there were any duplicates that might be causing interference, but did not find a duplicate of either.

I then did another autoscan but pulled the cable as soon as the stations I cared about had been scanned, just in case I had missed something while looking for dupes. No luck. Did another autoscan just to put everything back.

Next I tried to enter the channels manually. Once entered I surfed to the appropriate channel setting; screen said "scanning" but no station/signal was found. Left manual settings in place.

Next I went to the analog tuner and deleted the two channels, both of which had the same channel number as their digital counterparts. Tried the DTV stations, still no luck.

At this point I just don't know what to do next. I don't really care if I can't get the public TV station, but there are lots of shows on ABC that I'd like to record using the DTV tuner. As I said, this station shows up just fine on the tuner on my TV, so I don't see any reason why the Magnavox is unable to receive it.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

It doesn't sound like you did the "Clean-Tuner" fix described here?

I'd do another Auto Channel Preset with coax OFF for all 125 analogs, then insert coax for the 135 digitals. More details in that linked help file.

THEN, dep. on results, you still might have to contend with dup. DIGITAL channels, i.e., get rid of the lower-numbered one, etc. as described there.

#17,371 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javtosser /forum/post/21370319

Did an initial autoscan for analog/digital. Tuner did not recognize channel 4 (ABC) or channel 9 (Public TV); both of these channels work fine on the tuner on my LG TV.

The signal may be weak on those channels.

Try replacing the coaxial cable feeding the RF input to the 515. I had a problem like that, and that fixed it. Apparently, the poor-quality cable was attenuating certain frequencies.

If that doesn't help, you may need an RF amplifier - something like this .

#17,372 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda /forum/post/21369718

You just missed it because so much was written about it.
2160A & 513 owners have been upgrading to it, and calling their machines V2160A and V513 due to the V in its file name, HD6A269727V1E.

Thanks. I read on this update...is it necessary to download it at all? It doesn't appear to fix much.

Thanks again for all the help in this forum!

#17,373 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21370638

Thanks. I read on this update...is it necessary to download it at all? It doesn't appear to fix much.

Thanks again for all the help in this forum!

Not if you've got a 515. I'd surely download the files and keep safe for the future, tho. As explained in that help file, Funai replaces FW and, if you ever need to revert to an older FW (like if you don't like the new FW), you might be SOL!

#17,374 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21370687

Not if you've got a 515. I'd surely download the files and keep safe for the future, tho. As explained in that help file, Funai replaces FW and, if you ever need to revert to an older FW (like if you don't like the new FW), you might be SOL!

Thanks again, I have the 515 and I won't use the update. hopefully they will come out with a meaningful update in the future!

#17,376 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21370638

I read on this update...is it necessary to download it at all? It doesn't appear to fix much.
Some of us had trouble with timers lost by editing existing timers. That problem went away for me with the V upgrade - on 3 machines.

#17,378 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53 /forum/post/21368034

Generally I would agree with this but this could be true for most any kind of insurance. I wish I had gotten an extended warranty for my first LCD because I ended up having to replace it after about 2.5 years. Do you know if you can still buy the extended warranted for the Maggie 515 if it's less than a year old or do you have to get the warranty when you purchase the unit?

I guess I'm the wrong person to ask. I own two Philips 3575's, two 3576's, two refurbished 2160's and just bought a refurbished 515. I bought my first 3575 from Wal-mart back in 2007 and I have never had a problem with any of these units other than dealing with their normal operational idiosyncrasies. These units are not particularly easy to use for a neophyte nor are the controls designed in an intuitive fashion. It takes time and patience to learn how to operate one of these recorders properly. Just hooking these devices up can present a challenge for some people.

It's been my experience (especially in viewing this forum) that most problems with these units turn out to be operator error and some people are just unable to get over the technological hump and learn how to hook up and operate these devices. It is clear that the high number of refurbished units available on the market is there because the average consumer is just not willing to learn the complex operation procedures.

I think that without this forum, the design flaws in the Magnavox 2160A would have signaled the end of these devices in the USA. It was only due to wajo's relentless attention to the problem and his discovery of a work around that saved these devices and enabled Funai to come out with the new and improved 513 and 515 models.

Also, I've never bought an extended warranty for anything in my life. Contrary to what a salesman may tell you, extended warranties are never a good deal.

#17,379 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic /forum/post/21371732

Contrary to what a salesman may tell you, extended warranties are never a good deal.
When the first Panasonics with digital tuners came out I bought one, and contrary to my habit of not buying an extended warranty for anything, I did buy one from Circuit City. After it was 12 months old it gave trouble necessitating repair. I took it to the CC store I bought it from. After nearly a month the store called me to pick it up. It was physically damaged and I complained, so the store kept it to correct the problem. After several days the store called again. When I tried to pick it up the store refunded 100% of the original purchase price, and a pro rata portion of the extended warranty.

I also bought the extended warranty for the 2160A I replaced the Panasonic with. That came to use about 18 months later, when it needed repair. It came back with the problem gone, though it was missing a cover screw and had two screw holes stripped with screws loosely dangling in them.

Stuff is made so cheap any more I think of an extended warranty as cheap insurance against having to learn how to use a replacement, plus given the modularity and rather high expense of replacement components compared to new unit prices from WalMart, J&R & the like, some insurance against a suitable replacement not being available at all and having to pay more to repair than replacement might have cost.

#17,380 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic /forum/post/21371732

Contrary to what a salesman may tell you, extended warranties are never a good deal.

Extended warranties are insurance. If they make the buyer feel comfortable then they are worth it to that person. Extended warranties are always a very good deal -- not for the customer but for the store that sells them. They are over-priced and huge money makers for the retailers. They commission their sales staff to push them very hard.

Some time ago I was about to buy something electronic and costly that I had procrastinated and waffled over for a time and went into the purchase still iffy. I gritted my teeth and pulled the trigger at which point the salesperson offered the extended warranty which I declined. He then proceeded to push the warranty hard, making it sound as if I were at great risk by not buying one. Never do that to someone who is iffy and not fully committed to a purchase. I looked up at him and asked squarely, "Are you telling me I need this extended warranty? Are you telling me that I'm going to pay all this money and in return I should expect it to break within 3 yr?" Before he could collect his thoughts and respond I stated simply that I no longer felt good about the purchase and walked out of the store. He gave me all the excuse I needed.