Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 869 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #26041 of 26060 Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Any you might miss like DTV 11, 12, etc. can be added afterwards using the Manual Channel Preset menu.

That link should be this one.
Probably won't need to manually add any channels since the FiOS channels are physically located in the higher channel numbers. They should automatically get assigned the lower numbers with PSIP. My channels 3.1, 6.1, and 10.1 all get added correctly without having the coax attached when scanning those DTV channels.

Last edited by Ken.F; 12-12-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26042 of 26060 Old 12-12-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Mine are never in any kind of protective container. When not in a drive they're sitting on a table or the floor. The last one that "wore out" was almost a year ago. It's covered with small scratches so I highly doubt that too many erasures are the culprit - even more so since it still works fine up to 90+ minutes of SP - the defective surface area isn't anywhere near the area affected by an erase...
I try to keep the discs clean. Not so much for keeping the discs around for longer, I just don't want to goober up the DVD drive in the recorder.
post #26043 of 26060 Old 12-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I try to keep the discs clean. Not so much for keeping the discs around for longer, I just don't want to goober up the DVD drive in the recorder.
That's a good idea - I used to treat them more carefully but the lack of failures has made me lazy. And it's not just the recorders, I would really hate to gum up the PC BD drive used to rip. I just bought a powered USB3 hub and plan to hook up an old portable DVD drive for ripping to save wear and tear on the BD.

Never had a problem so far with a recorder burner - oldest is a 2007-ish 3576 still in daily use.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #26044 of 26060 Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using NextGen with 2 of the same brand DVRs + two remotes

The IR receiver window on the line-of-sight dvr is exposed to the IR transmission of the
remote that has the special RF 'battery' in it. That's assuming that the remote is transmitting
both RF and IR. So it would seem that the RF remote control would need to be covered to
prevent emission of IR that would confuse the unprotected line-of-sight dvr for which you
have another IR remote.
post #26045 of 26060 Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Mine are never in any kind of protective container. When not in a drive they're sitting on a table or the floor. The last one that "wore out" was almost a year ago. It's covered with small scratches so I highly doubt that too many erasures are the culprit - even more so since it still works fine up to 90+ minutes of SP - the defective surface area isn't anywhere near the area affected by an erase...
You are fortunate. I have generally not gotten more than 15-20 full disk burns out of my DVD-RW disks before I have to toss them.

The difference here is that I don't use a DVDR to burn them but rather a PC using ImgBurn. A DVDR just burns the disk -- ignorance is bliss. ImgBurn burns and verifies the burn. That's where the failures come to light -- during the verify cycle. Burning is never a problem. I could probably burn the disk a couple hundred times without a problem or an error report. But after about 15 burns the DVD-RW is on borrowed time and a verify failure is imminent.

Once the DVD-RW fails a verify, it is toast. I can continue to burn it all I want -- and I have as a test -- but once it issues a verify failure it will always issue a verify failure and so I just toss it and grab a new one.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26046 of 26060 Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You are fortunate. I have generally not gotten more than 15-20 full disk burns out of my DVD-RW disks before I have to toss them.

The difference here is that I don't use a DVDR to burn them but rather a PC using ImgBurn. A DVDR just burns the disk -- ignorance is bliss. ImgBurn burns and verifies the burn. That's where the failures come to light -- during the verify cycle. Burning is never a problem. I could probably burn the disk a couple hundred times without a problem or an error report. But after about 15 burns the DVD-RW is on borrowed time and a verify failure is imminent.

Once the DVD-RW fails a verify, it is toast. I can continue to burn it all I want -- and I have as a test -- but once it issues a verify failure it will always issue a verify failure and so I just toss it and grab a new one.
I'm sure the burns aren't perfect but they're ripped and either watched or VLC-tested for playability before deleting from recorders. I had to re-burn one show a few months ago because the audio was slightly out of sync. (OTOH I've had at least a dozen files get corrupted by Windows in the last year)

Offhand I can't think of any reason I would ever need to burn a RW from the PC, and it's probably been 2 years since I last burned a +R...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #26047 of 26060 Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MCM Stabilizer Pot Adjustment

Attempting to record personal DVDs for car travel with kids. Have read references to Tomwill procedure for adjusting POT to make MCM Video Stabilizer record DVDs but unable to locate procedure. Will someone please share procedure for adjusting potentiometer on MCM Video Stabilizer to record DVDs?
post #26048 of 26060 Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynate View Post
Attempting to record personal DVDs for car travel with kids. Have read references to Tomwill procedure for adjusting POT to make MCM Video Stabilizer record DVDs but unable to locate procedure. Will someone please share procedure for adjusting potentiometer on MCM Video Stabilizer to record DVDs?
Please don't double-post. Your answer has already been given here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26049 of 26060 Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When I finish dubbing titles on my Magnavox MDR557h, all I get when I press "Disc Edit" is the option to finalize my disc. The title of the finalized disc is "DVD video recording." On my Mag515, I had no problem creating a disc title. The solution to this problem is probably somewhere in Wajo's encyclopedic history of Funai DVD HDD recorders, but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #26050 of 26060 Old 12-16-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trying to connect Chromecast to Magnavox 515

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I did do some searching and found nothing relating to Chromecast.

I bought was appeared to be the correct device to convert HDMI output from my Chromecast device to my Magnavox 515 via S-video, but got nothing. I don't know if the device was faulty or some other issue. I bought the Keedox® HDMI To Composite RCA & S-video Converter Scaler 720p 1080p with Adapter from Amazon.

Has anyone had any success in connecting their Chromecast to the Magnavox 515 via some converter? I would like to be able to record from Chromecast at the higher resolution that S-video is supposed to provide. I have had success with it working with a device to convert HDMI to standard composite video but the resolution is too low (480p or 480i, not sure which) to be worth using.

The device I bought has a switch to set output as either NTSC or PAL which makes me think (and I'm no expert) the output is analog, but when I switch through the input options on the DVR, it says Digital, like it's expecting a digital input signal. However, like I said before, the composite input does show up on either the front or rear inputs, but just looks horrendous at that resolution.

Any insight or information would be appreciated.
post #26051 of 26060 Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyphish View Post
I bought the Keedox® HDMI To Composite RCA & S-video Converter Scaler 720p 1080p with Adapter from Amazon.
Composite and S-Video output are both analog 480i. That device is a "scaler" meaning it will take 720 or 1080 output from the HDMI and scale it to 480i for output through composite or S-Video. S-Video looks a little better than composite but if your converter is a cheap clone they both will look like crap. The DVD recorder ONLY takes in a 480i analog signal through the line inputs.

Also, the converter you buy must be able to defeat HDCP on the HDMI output, otherwise you won't get a picture.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 12-16-2014 at 07:03 PM.
post #26052 of 26060 Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Yeah . . . the reason it's so hard is that it is by-and-large illegal to record anything off the Chromecast.
post #26053 of 26060 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Well, TWC finally did it.
They encrypted ALL of my local stations to where I cannot receive ANYTHING without their STB and can no longer record anything on either of my magnificent MDR515 units!

Question: What do you all use when this happens?

1. Pay TWC to rent an STB and use the STB outputs to the MDR515 inputs to record?
2. Use OTA antenna? (I live too close to the mountains to receive an OTA signal.)
3. Get FIOS and use the STB outputs to the MDR515 inputs to record?
4. Just live with streaming content?

I thought the FCC rule was that cable cos. weren't allowed to encrypt local stations...?
I realize the laws don't protect the citizens any longer and the TV industry is in bed with the politicians...

Thoughts are greatly appreciated... anyone?

MDR515H/F7 Lover/User/Tester
post #26054 of 26060 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Jeremy, I went with antenna even tho I'm in a theoretically "difficult" reception situation, as described here.

There are many antennas that *might* be worth a try before giving up on a "full-use" approach?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26055 of 26060 Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post
They encrypted ALL of my local stations to where I cannot receive ANYTHING without their STB and can no longer record anything on either of my magnificent MDR515 units!

2. Use OTA antenna? (I live too close to the mountains to receive an OTA signal.)

I thought the FCC rule was that cable cos. weren't allowed to encrypt local stations...?
I realize the laws don't protect the citizens any longer and the TV industry is in bed with the politicians...

If FIOS is possible, it's better than TWC (So I hear). I lose my clear QAM on 2/10/15 and there is no way I could ever use an antenna.
post #26056 of 26060 Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

TWC encrypts all SoCAL locals 12/16/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Jeremy, I went with antenna even tho I'm in a theoretically "difficult" reception situation, as described here.

There are many antennas that *might* be worth a try before giving up on a "full-use" approach?
Wajo! Good to hear from you and glad you're still active on this forum.
Not sure why I don't get email updates even though I am subscribed.

Anyway, I think I will try your suggestion for the OTA antenna either on the exterior or in my attic, as we do get high winds here and my roof is too high for me to climb.
Worst case is I return the antenna and bite the bullet and get Verizon FIOS or TWC.

Thanks

post #26057 of 26060 Old Today, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1. Pay TWC to rent an STB and use the STB outputs to the MDR515 inputs to record?

Here are some other thoughts & possibilities -- everything is going to cost you more $$:

If you want independent recording you would have to rent 3 TWC STB's -- 1 for your TV and 1 each for your two DVDR's. At that point you are probably paying as much or more than it would cost to rent their multi-tuner TWC-DVR -- which would be far better integrated into the cable system than you would be by feeding a couple DVDR's with STB's and having to juggle the resulting recording complexities. You could then possibly feed the TWC-DVR into one of your MDR515's if you wanted to archive something to DVD-R.

Alternatively to their TWC-DVR, you could pay a one-time cost of $550 to buy a TiVo Roamio with 4 tuners and easily expandable storage and just rent the cable card from TWC. You would have no monthly DVR fee and only have to rent the cable card, which can range from $0 to $3-4/month -- you may also get a credit for user-owned equipment which would cover the cost of the cable card. You can similarly feed an analog output from the TiVo Roamio to one of your MDR515's for archiving, or better yet, for unprotected content you can transfer it over the network to your PC in original HD/5.1 quality for archiving on BD-R.

If you want a real adventure you could set up a HTPC running Win-7 with a cable card tuner and use WMC as your DVR. Caveat: the longevity of this solution is unknown. MS stopped development of WMC during Win-7's run and only offers it as an extra cost option for Win-8. The expectation is that it will not be a part of the upcoming Win-9. Once MS decides to no longer supply free guide information the show is over.

Everything I just wrote would apply to FIOS as well.

You mentioned streaming. RoKu would be the premium device for streaming as it offers the most Internet channels of any device on the market. Additionally, TiVo Roamio also offers a large array of streaming channels including the most popular premium services, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc., which are integrated into the search function -- if you search for a show to watch, TiVo will not only search the channel guide but also the catalogs of the Premium streaming services.

- kelson h

post #26058 of 26060 Old Today, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Here are some other thoughts & possibilities -- everything is going to cost you more $$:

If you want independent recording you would have to rent 3 TWC STB's -- 1 for your TV and 1 each for your two DVDR's. At that point you are probably paying as much or more than it would cost to rent their multi-tuner TWC-DVR -- which would be far better integrated into the cable system than you would be by feeding a couple DVDR's with STB's and having to juggle the resulting recording complexities. You could then possibly feed the TWC-DVR into one of your MDR515's if you wanted to archive something to DVD-R.

Alternatively to their TWC-DVR, you could pay a one-time cost of $550 to buy a TiVo Roamio with 4 tuners and easily expandable storage and just rent the cable card from TWC. You would have no monthly DVR fee and only have to rent the cable card, which can range from $0 to $3-4/month -- you may also get a credit for user-owned equipment which would cover the cost of the cable card. You can similarly feed an analog output from the TiVo Roamio to one of your MDR515's for archiving, or better yet, for unprotected content you can transfer it over the network to your PC in original HD/5.1 quality for archiving on BD-R.

If you want a real adventure you could set up a HTPC running Win-7 with a cable card tuner and use WMC as your DVR. Caveat: the longevity of this solution is unknown. MS stopped development of WMC during Win-7's run and only offers it as an extra cost option for Win-8. The expectation is that it will not be a part of the upcoming Win-9. Once MS decides to no longer supply free guide information the show is over.

Everything I just wrote would apply to FIOS as well.

You mentioned streaming. RoKu would be the premium device for streaming as it offers the most Internet channels of any device on the market. Additionally, TiVo Roamio also offers a large array of streaming channels including the most popular premium services, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc., which are integrated into the search function -- if you search for a show to watch, TiVo will not only search the channel guide but also the catalogs of the Premium streaming services.
Thanks for the reply.
I do have a Roku which I love, but I really only want local network stations to record, so I think I will try either the RCA Suburban Mini Yagi or Mohu MH-110585, as Wajo suggested.
I only pay $40/mo for 35Mbps internet and don't want to pay any more until I make more $$$.
I also use MagicJack Plus at $35 a year for home phone. I mostly use my Verizon cell anyway, but it's good to be able to have a backup phone to use during peak hours and as a Fax line.

As I've said, I live in an area of SoCAL that is near the foothills and about 50 miles from LACO Mt. Wilson transmission towers. The only thing I was able to pick up with rabbit ears was PAX and some local PBS station. I do still have my 7' BUD, but I've never re-installed it since I've moved here in 2003. (The homes are too compact to have a clear view of the southern skies from my backyard.)

Thanks for the input!

post #26059 of 26060 Old Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I saw this coming a couple of years ago. I had a couple of 515s, one of which I have subsequently sold, and one cable co. DVR. I moved to TiVos. They are expensive upfront, but save in the long term compared to cable company DVRs. Frankly, I don't how people get along without a DVR. I've had them ever since they first came out. You get multiple tuners, you get HD playback and you never have to watch commercials again.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com