Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 870 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #26071 of 26081 Old 12-21-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post
I have a question please: Can't the 2160A output via HDMI 1080? The manual states that it does, and that you can press "HDD" to change the outputs (480/720/1080) and see the display change accordingly. But when I press "HDD" on both the remote or the unit, nothing happens! I tried this when not playing anything, when playing back a recording, and when simply viewing a HDTV channel. So how do I find out the output? It's using the 727 FW but I don't remember if it's H1E or V1E.
Try pressing the "HDMI" button on the remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26072 of 26081 Old 12-21-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Try pressing the "HDMI" button on the remote.
I did and that didn't do anything. Did you see this Ken in my last post above? "Does the HDMI output actually have to be used in order to see this info?" Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26073 of 26081 Old 12-21-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did and that didn't do anything. Did you see this Ken in my last post above? "Does the HDMI output actually have to be used in order to see this info?" Thanks.
Your last post said you pressed the HDD button, not the HDMI button.
Yes, the HDMI output must be used to select the different HDMI modes. You can't upscale over component or composite.

Edit: Not your last post, I meant this post:
Quote:
I have a question please: Can't the 2160A output via HDMI 1080? The manual states that it does, and that you can press "HDD" to change the outputs (480/720/1080) and see the display change accordingly. But when I press "HDD" on both the remote or the unit, nothing happens!

Last edited by Ken.F; 12-21-2014 at 06:10 AM.
post #26074 of 26081 Old 12-21-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I tried both buttons, but I see it's moot now, thanks. So I'm still wondering if it will up-convert to 1080 or just 720, and does it look ok on a ~50" HDTV up-converted? Also, still wondering where the FW updates are. (The bottom of post # 26068).

Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26075 of 26081 Old 12-21-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I tried both buttons, but I see it's moot now, thanks. So I'm still wondering if it will up-convert to 1080 or just 720, and does it look ok on a ~50" HDTV up-converted?
It will up-convert to 1080 if your TV supports it.
Digital sources look pretty darn good on my 50" Panny plasma. It's still not as good as a true HD picture but way better than 480 over component or composite.

Quote:
Also, still wondering where the FW updates are. (The bottom of post # 26068).
Firmware updates are in post #6927 . It's about half way down page 231 if you have the forum set to display 30 posts per page.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26076 of 26081 Old 12-21-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Thanks, I got a notification this time. (But as I'm replying to this, the toolbar's "Quote" button has vanished. So I can't multi-quote. )

Ok so I'm in L1, the display shows "L1", and when I press "Display" nothing happens on the display. When I put the TV on and look at it, I see the screen go between nothing, then only two different overlays, but neither one of them have anything to do with output, I don't get a 3rd overlay info screen, when I press it the 3rd time, it's back to blank (uncluttered). Does the HDMI output actually have to be used in order to see this info? If so, then that explains it. But why does the manual state that the display on the unit will change and show the output mode?

And is the manual correct in stating it can output in (up-converted) 1080? And what about the FW links?

Thanks.
You need to press the HDMI button on the remote. Each press ratchets the HDMI output thru 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. You can see that displayed in the front panel display. It'll skip any format your TV does not support.

On links in this thread, see my signature for red note on how to get most links to work (also many red notes on page 1 of this thread).
Clint S. likes this.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 07:20 AM.
post #26077 of 26081 Old 12-21-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Ken and Wajo, thanks a bunch. I finally found the post.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26078 of 26081 Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use a Mohu leaf ultimate in my only available correctly facing window. Every few months I lose a channel or set of channels (CBS or ION or NBC and COZI and My50 Chicago) which is usually corrected by moving the leaf to the other side of the window (about 3 feet to the right/west or the left/east). I thought this was because of foliage, but now I'm wondering if it could be related to the position of the the sun or moon. Is that even possible?
post #26079 of 26081 Old Today, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealshapeshifter View Post
I use a Mohu leaf ultimate in my only available correctly facing window. Every few months I lose a channel or set of channels (CBS or ION or NBC and COZI and My50 Chicago) which is usually corrected by moving the leaf to the other side of the window (about 3 feet to the right/west or the left/east). I thought this was because of foliage, but now I'm wondering if it could be related to the position of the the sun or moon. Is that even possible?
How far are those towers from you and what directions?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26080 of 26081 Old Today, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
How far are those towers from you and what directions?
About 30 miles south (I have it in a south window).
Is that far enough for some seasonal changes to have an effect? Disclaimer: I have no idea if the tilt of the earth and/or magnetic fields and/or the gravitational pull of the moon and/or sunspots would have an effect. I just assume that when the neighbor's tree gets leaves, that could block the signal, so I move it to the side of the window blocked by the neighbor's garage--which makes no sense but seems to work.
post #26081 of 26081 Old Today, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealshapeshifter View Post
About 30 miles south (I have it in a south window).
Is that far enough for some seasonal changes to have an effect? Disclaimer: I have no idea if the tilt of the earth and/or magnetic fields and/or the gravitational pull of the moon and/or sunspots would have an effect. I just assume that when the neighbor's tree gets leaves, that could block the signal, so I move it to the side of the window blocked by the neighbor's garage--which makes no sense but seems to work.
30 miles should be OK for the Leaf. I've got both a Leaf Ultimate and a Sky (60 mile UHF) and the Sky gets all my channels from 49-60 miles away, even those with no LOS, except it's "iffy" for ION and PBS. Strangely, the Leaf has no problem with ION or PBS. Even my rabbit ears gets those two channels better, so I just recently ended up combining the Sky and rabbit ears in a reversed 2-way splitter, just to get ION and PBS..

There's something about ION that seems to cause reception problems in an otherwise good antenna setup?

If my local ION and PBS didn't have exactly the stuff my wife/CFO likes (a lot)... !

See my help file
for more info that might also apply to your situation?

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com