Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 873 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #26161 of 26179 Old 01-22-2015, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
The Philips version came first. After two models were released under the Philips name (the first had a LOT of problems and returns), they began releasing pretty much identical machines under the Magnavox name, and that's how it's been for quite some time.

And now, it seems the party's over.

As for your question about the Philips versions, the problem unit, 3575, was the first; 3576 was the second, I believe.
Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26162 of 26179 Old 01-22-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post
The 3575 is/was regarded as kind of tetchy, but once you got a handle on its quirks, it was still a reliable platform. It's just that Funai smoothed out the kinks and added some welcome improvements to the Magnavox line.

I've been using a 3575 daily for almost 7 years. If your Aunt Millie offers you one she's had stashed in her closet since she bought way back when but found too technical to use.....I'd grab it.
Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate the insight.
post #26163 of 26179 Old 01-22-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Magnavox 1TB 537 new avalible send pm.
Can't send PMs with out 15 posts. Thanks.
post #26164 of 26179 Old 01-23-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144

ONE 557 still in current "Sold by Amazon" stock, $299.99.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26165 of 26179 Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM

What am I missing? It's listed at $519.74 when I view it?
post #26166 of 26179 Old 01-23-2015, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
What am I missing? It's listed at $519.74 when I view it?
Amazon had ONE in their stock and it must have sold so, as usual, they now list their "partners" and their prices.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26167 of 26179 Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This reminds me of what happened to the prices the 513 and 515 series when the supply started drying up. I learned my lesson and I pounced on a 535 when they came out.
post #26168 of 26179 Old 01-23-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Amazon had ONE in their stock and it must have sold so, as usual, they now list their "partners" and their prices.
Yes, it's getting ridiculous now. I've seen them as high as $1200. One would think a company Funai would see this and say to themselves, "there's still money to be made here, maybe we should continue fabricating these". It should be obvious the market is still supporting the design if they sell out basically once a year. I mean, isn't that like the perfect business model, no leftover stock, product sells out every year?
post #26169 of 26179 Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Magnavox 1TB 537 new avalible send pm.
Still avail.......

MickinCT
post #26170 of 26179 Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What ever happened to the Funai guy that would post on this thread. I think his user name was 234? Did he die or get fired?
post #26171 of 26179 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
Yes, it's getting ridiculous now. I've seen them as high as $1200. One would think a company Funai would see this and say to themselves, "there's still money to be made here, maybe we should continue fabricating these". It should be obvious the market is still supporting the design if they sell out basically once a year. I mean, isn't that like the perfect business model, no leftover stock, product sells out every year?
I wish it was so simple. From the Funai point of view: Prices of raw materials go up, support costs go up, many people suffer from "new cow disease" and so on. I do often wonder why some food products at the grocery store are always running out. Bad supply chain? Getting into the mind of Funai is like getting into the mind of Walmart or Sony. My head would explode.
post #26172 of 26179 Unread Yesterday, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
It's been awhile since I've tried this , so forgive possible user error... But I'm trying to record output from receiver audio that I input to a Maggie's audio in... Then output from there to a different recorder's L1 input. It's working fine ( met broadcast) but every 20 mins or so the screensaver kicks in and the output dies, so the recording device is getting nothing.I've done this before for several hr long recordings... Don't recall them pooping out when the screensaver kicked in. should I just unplug the video in cable? Possibly recording a diff video feed might keep it awake. Wish I could remember how I tricked it into working last time - for now I'm going to try reconnecting so the audio output from receiver goes directly into recording Maggie ... And I unplugged the video cable. Not sure this will work. I promised to record this ( now it's in 20 min segments, so I'll have some cutting and pasting to do) but I have to go out and can't babysit it the whole afternoon. Would welcome any suggestions???? Thanks!

Ps I'll update if the re- connection works ...

Last edited by artwire; Yesterday at 11:28 AM.
post #26173 of 26179 Unread Yesterday, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
It's been awhile since I've tried this , so forgive possible user error... But I'm trying to record output from receiver audio that I input to a Maggie's audio in... Then output from there to a different recorder's L1 input. It's working fine ( met broadcast) but every 20 mins or so the screensaver kicks in and the output dies, so the recording device is getting nothing.I've done this before for several hr long recordings... Don't recall them pooping out when the screensaver kicked in. should I just unplug the video in cable? Possibly recording a diff video feed might keep it awake. Wish I could remember how I tricked it into working last time - for now I'm going to try reconnecting so the audio output from receiver goes directly into recording Maggie ... And I unplugged the video cable. Not sure this will work. I promised to record this ( now it's in 20 min segments, so I'll have some cutting and pasting to do) but I have to go out and can't babysit it the whole afternoon. Would welcome any suggestions???? Thanks!

Ps I'll update if the re- connection works ...
Just turn off the screen saver in the Display menu.

You don't have to have the video cable plugged in, as described here.

post #26174 of 26179 Unread Yesterday, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Thanks, it also worked by directly connecting to the recording machine without video cable, but good to know I can go back and wire it through the other box ( closer to the receiver) by disconnecting screensaver. Btw, I didn't realize there was such a shortage of the 557... I had been toying with the idea of another one ( but hard to justify! ) And saw it at 300ish around Xmas, thinking that was kind of high. The prices are ridiculous now... But if anyone is interested I did see one for 399 today online. Not sure if we're allowed to say where but for what it's worth ... Picture yourself at a drive through, when the server asks, "Would you like _____ With that?"
post #26175 of 26179 Unread Yesterday, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A couple of other sources to check for the 557 are these:

Last edited by wajo; Today at 06:01 AM.
post #26176 of 26179 Unread Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Quote:

A couple of other sources to check for the 557 are these:

Looks like the supply may last longer than expected. I just finished a chat with HomeDepot and they say they are expecting a shipment on 02/04. Transcript here:

Quote:
chat!
Merasel: Welcome to the Home Depot. My name is Merasel. How may I assist you today?
ME: Hi, I need a list of stores where this item could be picked up. Internet # 205404633
Merasel: Good afternoon
Merasel: Let me check that for you. It will just take 2 to 3 minutes.
ME: Thanks
Merasel: I am sorry the Magnavox 1TB Hard Drive DVR with DVD Recorder is only sold onine. I apologize that we are completely sold out of this item. We are expecting our next shipment on 02/04/15.
ME: So there is a shipment coming in? Any idea how many units and what locations?
Merasel: I am sorry we do not have access to that information. Our vendor is closed for the weekend, we would need to call them Monday during business hours. They will not be sold in our stores.
Merasel: Sold online only.
ME: Ok, Thanks
Merasel: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
ME: No Thank you. I'll need to touch base back on Mon. when you guys have access to some information. Thanks.
Merasel: Yes, you can either chat back with us or call us 1-800-430-3376.
Merasel: Thank you for shopping with The Home Depot. Please take a moment to complete a brief survey after clicking on the End Chat button. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at 1-800-430-3376. Have a great day!
Chat session has been ended by the Associate.
post #26177 of 26179 Unread Today, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

ABC Warehouse just changed their in-store price for the 557 to $288.

See Store Locator at top of their page for stores in Mich/Ohio/Ind.

post #26178 of 26179 Unread Today, 07:36 AM

Quote:

ABC Warehouse just changed their in-store price for the 557 to $288.

See Store Locator at top of their page for stores in Mich/Ohio/Ind.

Based on your experience, is that a sign that there is another impending shipment? I haven't watched any of the trends over the last few years so I have no frame for reference. If you don't mind, could you tell me what have the trends looked like over the past few years? Thanks.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page