Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 873 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #26161 of 26187 Old 01-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Member
 
peacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
The Philips version came first. After two models were released under the Philips name (the first had a LOT of problems and returns), they began releasing pretty much identical machines under the Magnavox name, and that's how it's been for quite some time.

And now, it seems the party's over.

As for your question about the Philips versions, the problem unit, 3575, was the first; 3576 was the second, I believe.
Thanks for the info.
peacedog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26162 of 26187 Old 01-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Member
 
peacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post
The 3575 is/was regarded as kind of tetchy, but once you got a handle on its quirks, it was still a reliable platform. It's just that Funai smoothed out the kinks and added some welcome improvements to the Magnavox line.

I've been using a 3575 daily for almost 7 years. If your Aunt Millie offers you one she's had stashed in her closet since she bought way back when but found too technical to use.....I'd grab it.
Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate the insight.
peacedog is offline  
post #26163 of 26187 Old 01-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Member
 
peacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Magnavox 1TB 537 new avalible send pm.
Can't send PMs with out 15 posts. Thanks.
peacedog is offline  
post #26164 of 26187 Old 01-23-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144


ONE 557 still in current "Sold by Amazon" stock, $299.99.


PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #26165 of 26187 Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Member
 
peacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What am I missing? It's listed at $519.74 when I view it?
peacedog is offline  
post #26166 of 26187 Old 01-23-2015, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
What am I missing? It's listed at $519.74 when I view it?
Amazon had ONE in their stock and it must have sold so, as usual, they now list their "partners" and their prices.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #26167 of 26187 Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Retspin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This reminds me of what happened to the prices the 513 and 515 series when the supply started drying up. I learned my lesson and I pounced on a 535 when they came out.
Retspin is offline  
post #26168 of 26187 Old 01-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Member
 
peacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Amazon had ONE in their stock and it must have sold so, as usual, they now list their "partners" and their prices.
Yes, it's getting ridiculous now. I've seen them as high as $1200. One would think a company Funai would see this and say to themselves, "there's still money to be made here, maybe we should continue fabricating these". It should be obvious the market is still supporting the design if they sell out basically once a year. I mean, isn't that like the perfect business model, no leftover stock, product sells out every year?
peacedog is offline  
post #26169 of 26187 Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
mickinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NUTMEG STATE
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Magnavox 1TB 537 new avalible send pm.
Still avail.......

MickinCT
mickinct is offline  
post #26170 of 26187 Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM
Member
 
artisticimaging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What ever happened to the Funai guy that would post on this thread. I think his user name was 234? Did he die or get fired?
artisticimaging is offline  
post #26171 of 26187 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
Yes, it's getting ridiculous now. I've seen them as high as $1200. One would think a company Funai would see this and say to themselves, "there's still money to be made here, maybe we should continue fabricating these". It should be obvious the market is still supporting the design if they sell out basically once a year. I mean, isn't that like the perfect business model, no leftover stock, product sells out every year?
I wish it was so simple. From the Funai point of view: Prices of raw materials go up, support costs go up, many people suffer from "new cow disease" and so on. I do often wonder why some food products at the grocery store are always running out. Bad supply chain? Getting into the mind of Funai is like getting into the mind of Walmart or Sony. My head would explode.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #26172 of 26187 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been awhile since I've tried this , so forgive possible user error... But I'm trying to record output from receiver audio that I input to a Maggie's audio in... Then output from there to a different recorder's L1 input. It's working fine ( met broadcast) but every 20 mins or so the screensaver kicks in and the output dies, so the recording device is getting nothing.I've done this before for several hr long recordings... Don't recall them pooping out when the screensaver kicked in. should I just unplug the video in cable? Possibly recording a diff video feed might keep it awake. Wish I could remember how I tricked it into working last time - for now I'm going to try reconnecting so the audio output from receiver goes directly into recording Maggie ... And I unplugged the video cable. Not sure this will work. I promised to record this ( now it's in 20 min segments, so I'll have some cutting and pasting to do) but I have to go out and can't babysit it the whole afternoon. Would welcome any suggestions???? Thanks!

Ps I'll update if the re- connection works ...

Last edited by artwire; Yesterday at 11:28 AM.
artwire is offline  
post #26173 of 26187 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
It's been awhile since I've tried this , so forgive possible user error... But I'm trying to record output from receiver audio that I input to a Maggie's audio in... Then output from there to a different recorder's L1 input. It's working fine ( met broadcast) but every 20 mins or so the screensaver kicks in and the output dies, so the recording device is getting nothing.I've done this before for several hr long recordings... Don't recall them pooping out when the screensaver kicked in. should I just unplug the video in cable? Possibly recording a diff video feed might keep it awake. Wish I could remember how I tricked it into working last time - for now I'm going to try reconnecting so the audio output from receiver goes directly into recording Maggie ... And I unplugged the video cable. Not sure this will work. I promised to record this ( now it's in 20 min segments, so I'll have some cutting and pasting to do) but I have to go out and can't babysit it the whole afternoon. Would welcome any suggestions???? Thanks!

Ps I'll update if the re- connection works ...
Just turn off the screen saver in the Display menu.

You don't have to have the video cable plugged in, as described here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #26174 of 26187 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, it also worked by directly connecting to the recording machine without video cable, but good to know I can go back and wire it through the other box ( closer to the receiver) by disconnecting screensaver. Btw, I didn't realize there was such a shortage of the 557... I had been toying with the idea of another one ( but hard to justify! ) And saw it at 300ish around Xmas, thinking that was kind of high. The prices are ridiculous now... But if anyone is interested I did see one for 399 today online. Not sure if we're allowed to say where but for what it's worth ... Picture yourself at a drive through, when the server asks, "Would you like _____ With that?"
artwire is offline  
post #26175 of 26187 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144


A couple of other sources to check for the 557 are these:



PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 06:01 AM.
wajo is offline  
post #26176 of 26187 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Member
 
peacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post


A couple of other sources to check for the 557 are these:


Looks like the supply may last longer than expected. I just finished a chat with HomeDepot and they say they are expecting a shipment on 02/04. Transcript here:

Quote:
chat!
Merasel: Welcome to the Home Depot. My name is Merasel. How may I assist you today?
ME: Hi, I need a list of stores where this item could be picked up. Internet # 205404633
Merasel: Good afternoon
Merasel: Let me check that for you. It will just take 2 to 3 minutes.
ME: Thanks
Merasel: I am sorry the Magnavox 1TB Hard Drive DVR with DVD Recorder is only sold onine. I apologize that we are completely sold out of this item. We are expecting our next shipment on 02/04/15.
ME: So there is a shipment coming in? Any idea how many units and what locations?
Merasel: I am sorry we do not have access to that information. Our vendor is closed for the weekend, we would need to call them Monday during business hours. They will not be sold in our stores.
Merasel: Sold online only.
ME: Ok, Thanks
Merasel: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
ME: No Thank you. I'll need to touch base back on Mon. when you guys have access to some information. Thanks.
Merasel: Yes, you can either chat back with us or call us 1-800-430-3376.
Merasel: Thank you for shopping with The Home Depot. Please take a moment to complete a brief survey after clicking on the End Chat button. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at 1-800-430-3376. Have a great day!
Chat session has been ended by the Associate.
peacedog is offline  
post #26177 of 26187 Old Today, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144


ABC Warehouse just changed their in-store price for the 557 to $288.

See Store Locator at top of their page for stores in Mich/Ohio/Ind.


PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #26178 of 26187 Old Today, 07:36 AM
Member
 
peacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post


ABC Warehouse just changed their in-store price for the 557 to $288.

See Store Locator at top of their page for stores in Mich/Ohio/Ind.

Based on your experience, is that a sign that there is another impending shipment? I haven't watched any of the trends over the last few years so I have no frame for reference. If you don't mind, could you tell me what have the trends looked like over the past few years? Thanks.
peacedog is offline  
post #26179 of 26187 Old Today, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
Based on your experience, is that a sign that there is another impending shipment? I haven't watched any of the trends over the last few years so I have no frame for reference. If you don't mind, could you tell me what have the trends looked like over the past few years? Thanks.
I really haven't seen a tendency of Mag sales pending new shipments. ABC Warehouse's "sale" might indicate getting rid of stock
since they're selling only in-store and not via internet. I've never seen a highly discounted "sale" by Walmart or even Amazon (where some partners might sell cheaper than other).

Funai's "standard" Mag model update has been anywhere from 7 to 20 months, but I haven't seen anything yet to indicate a new model might be in the works. The latest Mag 557 model was introduced in May 2014, so 8 months ago.

If Funai is going to introduce a new model, I'm not sure it'll carry the Magnavox brand name which Funai used under an old, and separate, license from Philips. They had a "falling out" in recent past and, now, Funai's main web page lists only Funai and Philips brands being sold in N.A. (no "Magnavox"). It almost looks like their separate Mag brand licensing agreement didn't survive their falling out, at least for HDD/DVD products? Many questions.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 08:56 AM.
wajo is offline  
post #26180 of 26187 Old Today, 08:36 AM
Member
 
peacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
I really haven't seen a tendency of Mag sales pending new shipments. ABC Warehouse's "sale" might indicate getting rid of stock
since they're selling only in-store and not via internet. I've never seen a highly discounted "sale" by Walmart or even Amazon (where some partners might sell cheaper than other).

Funai's "standard" Mag model update has been anywhere from 7 to 20 months, but I haven't seen anything yet to indicate a new model might be in the works. The latest Mag 557 model was introduced in May 2014, so 20 months ago.

If Funai is going to introduce a new model, I'm not sure it'll carry the Magnavox brand name which Funai used under an old, and separate, license from Philips. They had a "falling out" in recent past and, now, Funai's main web page lists only Funai and Philips brands being sold in N.A. (no "Magnavox"). It almost looks like their separate Mag brand licensing agreement didn't survive their falling out, at least for HDD/DVD products? Many questions.
Thanks. I don't think anyone would mind the same box being sold with a different brand name, but it might be hard to market properly since the consumers are conditioned to the Mag brand.

Ha, this so reminds me of approx. 10-12 years ago, funai made a combo deck called the sv2000 that sold at Walmart. It was the best thing since sliced bread back then, VCR/DVDR combo deck. DVD editing right on the box, copy vhs to dvd, loved that machine. My Dad, cousin, uncle, we all had them. I was so disappointed when it stopped selling and couldn't imagine how I would replace it. It finally died and had to be replaced. That's when I bought my first Mag. "This too shall pass."
peacedog is offline  
post #26181 of 26187 Old Today, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like the 557 is a bit of an outlier. I have been unplugged for awhile and not following this too closely,so curious if it's still considered a worthy purchase. It sounds as tho some of the features that we've become used to have been discontinued -- so I will have to read up on the differences to see if that's a deal breaker. Might be better off just swapping the drives in some of my older ones. I keep saying I will, but never do. Buying a new - well, refurbished- recorder every time you think they're stopping production, or whenever you run out of space is kind of an excessive solution, but that approach has served me well for a few years. I think I have five, maybe six of them - all working fine and all just about filled up. I packed a few away ... One day I will get around to either watching, dubbing, or deleting, but I'm glad I didn't toss out the old models -even tho they had much smaller capacity back in the day. Glad to hear there are some more units on order -- I didn't realize Home Depot sold them... I thought it was only Walmart-- but kind of sad to hear that it is likely the end of the line. Wonder what kind of support funai will/can provide on new units if they no longer have an arrangement w Magnavox.
artwire is offline  
post #26182 of 26187 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does this mean? I saw it on Home Depot site ... Seems to suggest some kind of limit that I was unaware of ... I know I've recorded more than 36 programs in a month on older units... Never encountered a maximum. maybe they mean a max of different preset simultaneous timer programs... I've never tried that!... but it seems oddly phrased

"With the built in hard disc memory, you can record a maximum of 36 programs a month in SD qualiTy"
artwire is offline  
post #26183 of 26187 Old Today, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
What does this mean? I saw it on Home Depot site ... Seems to suggest some kind of limit that I was unaware of ... I know I've recorded more than 36 programs in a month on older units... Never encountered a maximum. maybe they mean a max of different preset simultaneous timer programs... I've never tried that!... but it seems oddly phrased

"With the built in hard disc memory, you can record a maximum of 36 programs a month in SD qualiTy"
It just means that you can only have 36 total timer programs which, of course, can include multiple shows on the same channel, as well as M-S and M-F shows (6 and 5 separate shows respectively) in a single program. Recurring shows like these, or weekly recurring shows like Every Mon, are not calendar-limited.

The "monthly" limit wording is for the 1-month of days programmed into the single-show entry where you ratchet up to a specific one-time date, i.e., the menu only allows a 30-day forward-entry selection.

I always tell people about one user who went on a 3-1/2 week trip and recorded 35 shows using only 6 timer programs of the 36 available.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 02:52 PM.
wajo is offline  
post #26184 of 26187 Unread Today, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: my computer (or tablet)
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post
The 3575 is/was regarded as kind of tetchy, but once you got a handle on its quirks, it was still a reliable platform. It's just that Funai smoothed out the kinks and added some welcome improvements to the Magnavox line.

I've been using a 3575 daily for almost 7 years. If your Aunt Millie offers you one she's had stashed in her closet since she bought way back when but found too technical to use.....I'd grab it.
Aunt Millie was a drinker and the blacksheep of the family.. I wouldn't trust anything she had to sell. It'd probably be hot.

gastrof is online now  
post #26185 of 26187 Unread Today, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: my computer (or tablet)
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
...If Funai is going to introduce a new model, I'm not sure it'll carry the Magnavox brand name which Funai used under an old, and separate, license from Philips. They had a "falling out" in recent past and, now, Funai's main web page lists only Funai and Philips brands being sold in N.A. (no "Magnavox"). It almost looks like their separate Mag brand licensing agreement didn't survive their falling out, at least for HDD/DVD products? Many questions.
If they ARE going to produce another box, who cares if it says "Funai" on it instead of Magnavox?

Maybe any "next model" will have the 2.5 and 3 hour settings restored?

That issue is really the biggest reason I didn't even consider getting one. I mean, I've got two 515s and a 513. Except for the fact they aren't getting any younger, why would I buy a 4th machine, even with the ability to burn 16x9 anamorphic DVDs (especially for that higher price) when you can't record using those two very useful settings?

Admittedly, if it hadn't been for all three issues being there, I'd own one. Even if two of those issues remained.

They come out with another box and the price is lower, or the two missing settings are restored, they've got me.
gastrof is online now  
post #26186 of 26187 Unread Today, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: my computer (or tablet)
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've downloaded the owner's manual for the 557, and had a couple questions.

Page 97 -

Mentions either "Video" or "VR" mode.

Can someone remind me what that's all about and which mode is the one that earlier models used (and what the reason might be for wanting to use the other)?

Also, can someone tell me where the manual specifically says you can set the aspect ratio for a DVD you're burning? What page is that on?

The only possible sign of it (that I've found) is on page 101, bottom part of the "Recording" section. It also seems to suggest this can only be done in "Video" mode. Again, wondering what that's all about.
gastrof is online now  
post #26187 of 26187 Unread Today, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrmazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA's lightning capital.
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Maybe any "next model" will have the 2.5 and 3 hour settings restored?

That issue is really the biggest reason I didn't even consider getting one. I mean, I've got two 515s and a 513. Except for the fact they aren't getting any younger, why would I buy a 4th machine, even with the ability to burn 16x9 anamorphic DVDs (especially for that higher price) when you can't record using those two very useful settings?
ISTR reading somewhere other than in any Funai manual that recording modes lower than SP shift from 720x480 resolution down to 352x480 or 352x240. Given my disappointment with PQ at even SPP, I would hope never to need to save to DVD in any of those reduced resolution formats, so it wouldn't bother me with a 1TB HD to record everything to HD in SP or HQ. Staying in 720x480 down as low as 210min/DVD, and in density/mode increments of 10 minutes, are Pioneer features disappointingly absent from these machines. With 5 of these already, absence of those modes wouldn't stop me from getting a 557 if there were other reasons to add an 8th SD recorder.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
mrmazda is online now  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off