Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 874 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #26191 of 26211 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 513
I order to have frame accurate editing, the unit has to have capability for local recoding around the cut point. Real-time burning will do that because it recodes the entire video during the output. Unless the HSD has local recoding built in it will make cuts at an I-frame. It would be surprising to see that capability in one of these units.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26192 of 26211 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
I don't know if it flows into how these newer models enable advantages of VR mode, but in video mode used by most Funais your edits can miss your mark by up to 14 frames, leaving bits of commercial at start, end or middle, that you thought you edited out, playing after you've dubbed to a DVD. VR mode at least in theory is accurate to the frame, while DVDs using it may not be playable on the player you want to play it on.
So between "Video" mode and "VR" mode, "Video" mode is the one you'd want so's to assure it'll play on a standard DVD player?
rdgcss likes this.
post #26193 of 26211 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
... can someone tell me where the manual specifically says you can set the aspect ratio for a DVD you're burning? What page is that on?

The only possible sign of it (that I've found) is on page 101, bottom part of the "Recording" section. It also seems to suggest this can only be done in "Video" mode. Again, wondering what that's all about.
Does anyone with the 557 have any experience in burning a DVD in anamorphic widescreen?

If we misunderstood this all along and the 557 can't do it anyway, then that's a reason to not bother with it if you've got several of the earlier models.
post #26194 of 26211 Old Today, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a Magnavox 513 that I got around less than 3 years ago and it has been a great machine but I just had a problem.It all of a sudden can not erase or record on any RW DVD.When I try, for about 14 seconds it seems like normal but then I get an error message.

Recording Error
Can Not record on this disc
E 4 54043e02

It can play what was on the RW DVD.Also I have tested and it seems to play all DVDS and it can record on -R and +R.So the only issue seems to be with RW DVD's.

I use RW DVDs a lot so loosing this feature hurts my normal recording a lot.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on what I should do or try.
Thanks so much
post #26195 of 26211 Old Today, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepeluso View Post
Hi, I have a Magnavox 513 that I got around less than 3 years ago and it has been a great machine but I just had a problem.It all of a sudden can not erase or record on any RW DVD.When I try, for about 14 seconds it seems like normal but then I get an error message.

Recording Error
E 4 54043e02

It can play what was on the RW DVD.Also I have tested and it seems to play all DVDS and it can record on -R and +R.So the only issue seems to be with RW DVD's.

I use RW DVDs a lot so loosing this feature hurts my normal recording a lot.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on what I should do or try.
Thanks so much
If you are having trouble with DVD+RW discs try switching to DVD-RW. My 513 and 515 both do the same thing yours does with all of the discs from a 10 pack of cheap Memorex DVD+RW discs that I have. The recorders work just fine with all of the other disc types and brands that I have (Sony+R and -R, TY-JVC -R, and Memorex +R, -R and -RW). Both of my Magnavox recorders are heavily used so it's possible the spindle clamp is just getting dirty and can't get a grip on those discs. The same +RWs play in the Magnavox recorders and they read and write fine in my computers so I don't think there is anything wrong with the recording area.
post #26196 of 26211 Old Today, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Sorry, I deleted my post quickly since I just noticed an "Out of Stock" banner on each.

The new shipment expected Feb 4 is by Home Depot and is for 557's, the latest model.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 02:15 PM.
post #26197 of 26211 Old Today, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
Don't want to spam this thread, but not sure where to post that I am selling my Magnavox MDR533H. I would prefer to sell to an enthusiast rather than a clueless eBayer.

I will delete this if not allowed.
Put a listing in the AVS classified section and drop a link here.
post #26198 of 26211 Old Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another reason to delete your post:
I know this isn't the classified section, (I will edit my posts) but:
From the Rules:
AVS Forum Classifieds Rules

Under no circumstances is anyone to reply to a post suggesting that the item can be found cheaper elsewhere. That is the responsibility of the purchaser to look for the best deal - not for forum members to point out. Members are trying to sell their items in a safe environment without fear of others trying to undercut their sales.
That's only for the classified section. It doesn't apply to other areas of the forum.
post #26199 of 26211 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And you know this how?
Because it's listed under the heading AVS Forum Classified Rules.
post #26200 of 26211 Old Today, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question M-Disc Recorders?

It's been a while since I've been on here and couldn't remember if I could just search this thread. I did search the overall AVS site and didn't find it linked to this. I just ran across M-Disc the other day and was thinking how nice it would be to have something like this in my unit. Has there been any discussion of this at all?
thanks
post #26201 of 26211 Old Today, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think the intent is not to undercut people, so my belief is that it pertains to all areas.

If it happens again, I will lodge a complaint, then we will find out.
Go for it. Let us know what they say. I'd like to hear an official ruling.
post #26202 of 26211 Old Today, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I really don't want to get into a pi**ing match. My opinion and statements stand.
I don't think anyone considers this any kind of contest. We just disagree on an interpretation of the forum rules.

Check out this official forum section: Great Found Deals
I think if it were against the general rules that one wouldn't have lasted long enough to build 54 pages worth of topics.
post #26203 of 26211 Old Today, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wow, that was fast! From the webmaster:

"Hello,

Discussion of selling an item anywhere outside of the dedicated classifieds is forbidden. Please delete any such posts immediately.

Thank You"

Looks like I have some deleting (and maybe apologizing) to do.
post #26204 of 26211 Old Today, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
If you are having trouble with DVD+RW discs try switching to DVD-RW. My 513 and 515 both do the same thing yours does with all of the discs from a 10 pack of cheap Memorex DVD+RW discs that I have. The recorders work just fine with all of the other disc types and brands that I have (Sony+R and -R, TY-JVC -R, and Memorex +R, -R and -RW). Both of my Magnavox recorders are heavily used so it's possible the spindle clamp is just getting dirty and can't get a grip on those discs. The same +RWs play in the Magnavox recorders and they read and write fine in my computers so I don't think there is anything wrong with the recording area.

I just tried to dub a show that was almost 2 hours on to a -R dvd and about 15 minutes in it froze and I got the can't record on this disc error message.
So it appears it really won't record on any type of disc now.
I am not really that tech savvy so I was wondering if someone help me with what my options are( like cleaning the spindle or laser eye or if the dvd burner can be replaced)or maybe give me a link to info.

Thanks so much
post #26205 of 26211 Old Today, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepeluso View Post
I just tried to dub a show that was almost 2 hours on to a -R dvd and about 15 minutes in it froze and I got the can't record on this disc error message.
So it appears it really won't record on any type of disc now.
I am not really that tech savvy so I was wondering if someone help me with what my options are( like cleaning the spindle or laser eye or if the dvd burner can be replaced)or maybe give me a link to info.
It's too early to get into hardware-replacement mode... need to try some other things.

1st, what brand and speed are the DVDs you're having trouble with.

2nd, have you installed SuperFW 727V in your 513?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 03:29 PM.
post #26206 of 26211 Old Today, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
It's too early to get into hardware-replacement mode... need to try some other things.

1st, what brand and speed are the DVDs you're having trouble with.

2nd, have you installed SuperFW 727V in your 513?

I have tried Sony and Verbatim and even a couple cheaper brands of -RW,+RW,-R,+R.
I tried to record in HQ and SP speed.

On any -RW or +RW it can't record or erase but it can play what was on the RW dvd.
When I try to record or erase, for about 14 seconds it seems like normal but then I get an error message.

Recording Error
E 4 54043e02

Any DVD can be played in the machine but it appears all types of dvd now will get a can't record on this disc message.

As for installed, I have just used it out of the box the last several years.
post #26207 of 26211 Old Today, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mike,
Have you been using the RW discs for awhile? If so, try gently washing the surface with mild soap and water and a soft rag, esp. the tracks around the center hole... rinse and dry thoroughly of course. Your error E4 is saying the "OPC" area is "full" which could mean it's dirty and the machine can't use that area to do prelim. and ongoing performance testing. One reason not to load and unload discs with finger in hole.

Try this first.

If your first reaction is to say you have problems with NEW discs, I can only recommend you still try the cleaning since there were many reports of brand new Panasonic RAM discs not working until the users cleaned them. Might apply here.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 04:04 PM.
post #26208 of 26211 Old Today, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Got my "new" (used) machine in today and it works like a world champ! I am happy! Now I just need to find a remote to go with it. I couldn't complain about it not having the remote at the price I got it for. My old Mag 2160 has a NB820 remote, is that the same remote for the MDR515 or is it a different model #? Thanks.
post #26209 of 26211 Old Today, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
Now I just need to find a remote to go with it. I couldn't complain about it not having the remote at the price I got it for. My old Mag 2160 has a NB820 remote, is that the same remote for the MDR515 or is it a different model #?
The 515 shipped with an NC003 remote, which has a different layout, but the NB820 has all the buttons you need for your 515. I like the older better, so my 515's remote has rarely been used, and I've worn out two NB820s (at least one button gone dead, and cleaning doesn't help).

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #26210 of 26211 Old Today, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
Got my "new" (used) machine in today and it works like a world champ! I am happy! Now I just need to find a remote to go with it. I couldn't complain about it not having the remote at the price I got it for. My old Mag 2160 has a NB820 remote, is that the same remote for the MDR515 or is it a different model #? Thanks.
The NB820 remote was OEM for the 2160, 2160A and 513. The 515 and 53x models went to a NC003UD, and the 557 uses a NC003UH. They're all "interchangeable" but with diff. size/shape, buttons and layout.

post #26211 of 26211 Unread Today, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Mike,
Have you been using the RW discs for awhile? If so, try gently washing the surface with mild soap and water and a soft rag, esp. the tracks around the center hole... rinse and dry thoroughly of course. Your error E4 is saying the "OPC" area is "full" which could mean it's dirty and the machine can't use that area to do prelim. and ongoing performance testing. One reason not to load and unload discs with finger in hole.

Try this first.

If your first reaction is to say you have problems with NEW discs, I can only recommend you still try the cleaning since there were many reports of brand new Panasonic RAM discs not working until the users cleaned them. Might apply here.

I am almost 99% sure the problem is not the discs because I have tried so many brands and tried used(some cleaned) and brand new discs and all different kinds -R,+R, -RW,+RW
and they all can't record and end with an error.

I must have been lucky because in all the time I used the machine I don't recall ever having a brand or type of disc not being able to be used, expect some Sony RW's that were used many times.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page