Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 878 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #26311 of 26315 Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just had something weird happen, and would like to compare notes with you guys.

I had a DVD, home-created using the software AVStoDVD, coded as 16:9.

On the 515 it plays into my 4:3 TV as letterboxed (the 515 is set to "letterbox" under its video settings). (In the other room, it plays off my other 515 as normal widescreen into my HD television.)

I hit "dubbing" while playing the DVD, and naturally it restarted the DVD playback, and began recording the DVD's recording to the hard drive.

Once that was done, I knew what'd happen. Since the 515 can't stamp a recording as widescreen (16:9) I knew it'd play back filling the 4:3 TV screen, with everyone looking tall and thin.

Wrong.

The recording played off the hard drive LETTERBOXED. (Even the restart of the playback once "dubbing" had been pressed showed up as 4:3 fullscreen, with the expected distortion, but not the playback from the hard drive!)

I know if I were to re-burn this to another DVD, it'll likely end up as fullscreen 4:3 and will have the "stretched" distortion, but HOW IS IT STILL CODED AS 16:9 ON THE HARD DRIVE, ON A MACHINE THAT CAN'T CODE THAT WAY?

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone seen the same thing before yourselves?

The only time I've seen this happen is when the tuner is used to record an HD channel off air. Not even off a widescreen cable channel. And yet, here it is, preserving the widescreen coding from a DVD on the hard drive.

Again, anyone else seen anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26312 of 26315 Old 02-23-2015, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Do Funai DVD/VCR use same remote codes/conflict with Magnavox MDR series?

Might be given a used Funai-manufactured DVD/VCR combo (either a Funai ZV427FX4 or (Funai) Toshiba-branded DVR620).

Want to use in same location as Magnavox MDR HDD/DVDs. Would anyone know if the remote control codes for these units (with many of the same functions) conflict or overlap with Magnavox 515s, 537s, etc.?

Thanks.
post #26313 of 26315 Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam-h View Post
Might be given a used Funai-manufactured DVD/VCR combo (either a Funai ZV427FX4 or (Funai) Toshiba-branded DVR620).

Want to use in same location as Magnavox MDR HDD/DVDs. Would anyone know if the remote control codes for these units (with many of the same functions) conflict or overlap with Magnavox 515s, 537s, etc.?

Thanks.
If memory serves, the Philips remotes didn't interact with the Magnavox machines, even tho' Funai made both.

Maybe any they make under their own name also have a unique set of remote codes, different from the other two?
post #26314 of 26315 Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the real-life experience gastrof. It would be great to not need yet another IR-receiver cover. (Would also be great if the Maggys had user selectable remote-code sets to choose from, like the Panasonic "Diga" DVDRs...)

Looks like I might be getting the Funai-branded unit in a few weeks. I'll post the cohabitation results for the Maggy+Funai DVD/VCR in the "remote" case anyone else is interested in that model .
post #26315 of 26315 Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons2 View Post
Our cable company has decided to require us to use DTA. AS you would guess, the recording quality is terrible.

There is a HDMI output on the DTA and I was thinking of getting a HDMI to S-Video converter since there is a S-Video input on the 537 and from there I can go with the HDMI on the DVR to the TV.

What do you think? Will it work? Will I get a better recording quality?

Thanks
=======

I figure I'd update my experience on this.

I purchased the Keedox for no better reason other then it had free shipping.

It came is on Thursday and I promptly installed it and turned on the TV. To my surprise I was getting a 4:3 picture. I doubled checked all my connections and settings and everything looked right. I then decided to view the TV directly through the HDMI output from the DTA.

Still 4:3

Thinking I might be nuts I asked my wife if we were getting 16:9 yesterday. She confirmed that I am nuts but we were getting 16:9 yesterday. I'm not so sure I feel any better...

The SOB cable company changed what they were transmitting!

Anyway, the image from DTA > HDMI > Converter >S-Video > DVR > HDMI > TV degraded. Going direct from the DTA to the TV via coax produced a better image.

Time to cut cable

Last edited by Rons2; Today at 11:57 AM.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page