Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 878 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #26311 of 26330 Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just had something weird happen, and would like to compare notes with you guys.

I had a DVD, home-created using the software AVStoDVD, coded as 16:9.

On the 515 it plays into my 4:3 TV as letterboxed (the 515 is set to "letterbox" under its video settings). (In the other room, it plays off my other 515 as normal widescreen into my HD television.)

I hit "dubbing" while playing the DVD, and naturally it restarted the DVD playback, and began recording the DVD's recording to the hard drive.

Once that was done, I knew what'd happen. Since the 515 can't stamp a recording as widescreen (16:9) I knew it'd play back filling the 4:3 TV screen, with everyone looking tall and thin.

Wrong.

The recording played off the hard drive LETTERBOXED. (Even the restart of the playback once "dubbing" had been pressed showed up as 4:3 fullscreen, with the expected distortion, but not the playback from the hard drive!)

I know if I were to re-burn this to another DVD, it'll likely end up as fullscreen 4:3 and will have the "stretched" distortion, but HOW IS IT STILL CODED AS 16:9 ON THE HARD DRIVE, ON A MACHINE THAT CAN'T CODE THAT WAY?

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone seen the same thing before yourselves?

The only time I've seen this happen is when the tuner is used to record an HD channel off air. Not even off a widescreen cable channel. And yet, here it is, preserving the widescreen coding from a DVD on the hard drive.

Again, anyone else seen anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26312 of 26330 Old 02-23-2015, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Do Funai DVD/VCR use same remote codes/conflict with Magnavox MDR series?

Might be given a used Funai-manufactured DVD/VCR combo (either a Funai ZV427FX4 or (Funai) Toshiba-branded DVR620).

Want to use in same location as Magnavox MDR HDD/DVDs. Would anyone know if the remote control codes for these units (with many of the same functions) conflict or overlap with Magnavox 515s, 537s, etc.?

Thanks.
post #26313 of 26330 Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam-h View Post
Might be given a used Funai-manufactured DVD/VCR combo (either a Funai ZV427FX4 or (Funai) Toshiba-branded DVR620).

Want to use in same location as Magnavox MDR HDD/DVDs. Would anyone know if the remote control codes for these units (with many of the same functions) conflict or overlap with Magnavox 515s, 537s, etc.?

Thanks.
If memory serves, the Philips remotes didn't interact with the Magnavox machines, even tho' Funai made both.

Maybe any they make under their own name also have a unique set of remote codes, different from the other two?
post #26314 of 26330 Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the real-life experience gastrof. It would be great to not need yet another IR-receiver cover. (Would also be great if the Maggys had user selectable remote-code sets to choose from, like the Panasonic "Diga" DVDRs...)

Looks like I might be getting the Funai-branded unit in a few weeks. I'll post the cohabitation results for the Maggy+Funai DVD/VCR in the "remote" case anyone else is interested in that model .
post #26315 of 26330 Old 02-28-2015, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons2 View Post
Our cable company has decided to require us to use DTA. AS you would guess, the recording quality is terrible.

There is a HDMI output on the DTA and I was thinking of getting a HDMI to S-Video converter since there is a S-Video input on the 537 and from there I can go with the HDMI on the DVR to the TV.

What do you think? Will it work? Will I get a better recording quality?

Thanks
=======

I figure I'd update my experience on this.

I purchased the Keedox for no better reason other then it had free shipping.

It came is on Thursday and I promptly installed it and turned on the TV. To my surprise I was getting a 4:3 picture. I doubled checked all my connections and settings and everything looked right. I then decided to view the TV directly through the HDMI output from the DTA.

Still 4:3

Thinking I might be nuts I asked my wife if we were getting 16:9 yesterday. She confirmed that I am nuts but we were getting 16:9 yesterday. I'm not so sure I feel any better...

The SOB cable company changed what they were transmitting!

Anyway, the image from DTA > HDMI > Converter >S-Video > DVR > HDMI > TV degraded. Going direct from the DTA to the TV via coax produced a better image.

Time to cut cable

Last edited by Rons2; 02-28-2015 at 11:57 AM.
post #26316 of 26330 Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

RonS:

If your experience is like mine (FiOS), the DTA will output a 4:3 picture. Traditionally, DTAs are meant for people with older 4:3 television sets. Whether that means it'll only tune the Standard Def versions of channels, or it'll letterbox all widescreen channels, I don't know.

I'm surprised it EVER was giving you widescreen output.

Suggestion?

If you know for a fact that DTA was originally giving you a widescreen (not letterboxed) picture, call the cable company, demand to speak to a supervisor in technical, and complain. You know it can handle widescreen. Demand it be put back the way it was.

The only other option for you is do what I did when I found out our DTA couldn't even tune the widescreen channels as letterboxed. (EVERYTHING was coming out cropped to 4:3.)

I told them 'I don't want to lose widescreen; I want a regular cable box'.

In the meantime...

Did the Keedox get rid of any pesky nonsense that would have prevented you from making harddrive recordings that can be burned to DVD? (I mean, that WAS the whole point, right? )
post #26317 of 26330 Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Just putting this out there in case you aren't aware, but you can record full HD, widescreen without any cable box or DTA if you get a HD Homerun Prime and connect the computer you're reading this forum on. Get a cheap remote and IR receiver, and you've got a free HD DVR that works much better than your old DVD recorder, with unlimited recording space, full guide, channel logos, etc. Been doing this myself for a couple of years now on 6 TVs for $2 in fees. Check out this video:
post #26318 of 26330 Old 02-28-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Just putting this out there in case you aren't aware, but you can record full HD, widescreen without any cable box or DTA if you get a HD Homerun Prime and connect the computer you're reading this forum on. Get a cheap remote and IR receiver, and you've got a free HD DVR that works much better than your old DVD recorder, with unlimited recording space, full guide, channel logos, etc. Been doing this myself for a couple of years now on 6 TVs for $2 in fees. Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN1Z0oKwELk
This is crap and spam. Most cable companies scramble EVERYTHING now, and you can't record a cable channel without a cable box unless you use a device with a cable card provided and activated by them (and those cost, they're not free).

Why don't you tell us WHAT channels you've been able to record? (The Prime version of this thing doesn't even get OTA!)

You're not doing anything with this device that we can't do with the machines this forum's dedicated to and a cable box (with "adapter"), except record in HD, which this forum is not for, and we can store our recordings on optical disc.

Myself and others here record in widescreen on these recorders all the time.

Thanks for playing.
post #26319 of 26330 Old 02-28-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
This is crap and spam. Most cable companies scramble EVERYTHING now, and you can't record a cable channel without a cable box unless you use a device with a cable card . . .
You are obviously not aware that the HD Homerun Prime is a 3-tuner cable-card tuner and tunes all the scrambled channels that the cable co STB or DVR can tune. Some cable co's provide the first cable card for free while others charge a fee that is far less than the STB rental fee. Other cable co's will provide a user equipment credit if you don't use their boxes.
NickTheGreat likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26320 of 26330 Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
This is crap and spam. Most cable companies scramble EVERYTHING now, and you can't record a cable channel without a cable box unless you use a device with a cable card provided and activated by them (and those cost, they're not free).

Why don't you tell us WHAT channels you've been able to record? (The Prime version of this thing doesn't even get OTA!)

You're not doing anything with this device that we can't do with the machines this forum's dedicated to and a cable box (with "adapter"), except record in HD, which this forum is not for, and we can store our recordings on optical disc.

Myself and others here record in widescreen on these recorders all the time.

Thanks for playing.
Recent poster said he couldn't record widescreen anymore because of the DTA the cable company gave him. Just offering a better, cheaper alternative. If you have a better solution, by all means, post it.

I said in my post that my cable card cost $2, not free. But many cable companies offer them for free or give you a credit, so they're cheaper than free. All are certainly cheaper than renting a box, DTA or DVR.

I'm telling you how to record in HD WITHOUT a cable box. I can burn to optical disc as well.

Although I don't use a Prime anymore (I upgraded to a 6 tuner Ceton), I can record every channel I subscribe to, which includes HBO, Sho, and about 700 other channels. I could post the whole list, but it wouldn't be pretty.

I try not to post this kind of thing over here unless the OP has issues that cannot be overcome any other way. OP was so frustrated he was going to cancel cable. There's no need to give up everything just because your recorder is no longer compatible. Just get a different one with the right capabilities.

To prove I'm not a spammer, I offer you to search my 11,000 posts on this board and find more than just a handful of references to the Prime, most of them critical of it. I can assure you I'm not an employee of Silicon Dust or any of their vendors. Just found a video I thought had the most useful info about it. Here are links to the Prime and their competitor Ceton (I use Ceton):

http://cetoncorp.com/
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

Carry on. I'll show myself out.

Last edited by mdavej; 02-28-2015 at 09:02 PM.
post #26321 of 26330 Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
To prove I'm not a spammer, I offer you to search my 11,000 posts...
I've read most of them already. Certainly not a spammer.
post #26322 of 26330 Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
RonS:

If your experience is like mine (FiOS), the DTA will output a 4:3 picture. Traditionally, DTAs are meant for people with older 4:3 television sets. Whether that means it'll only tune the Standard Def versions of channels, or it'll letterbox all widescreen channels, I don't know.

I'm surprised it EVER was giving you widescreen output.

Suggestion?

If you know for a fact that DTA was originally giving you a widescreen (not letterboxed) picture, call the cable company, demand to speak to a supervisor in technical, and complain. You know it can handle widescreen. Demand it be put back the way it was.

The only other option for you is do what I did when I found out our DTA couldn't even tune the widescreen channels as letterboxed. (EVERYTHING was coming out cropped to 4:3.)

I told them 'I don't want to lose widescreen; I want a regular cable box'.
Before 2/10 I was getting HD form the cable company, which was fine on my Samsung Smart TV. On 2/10 they decided to scramble their signal and everyone was required to use a DTA. Of course we were given a month's heads up about this.

When I first plugged in the DTA I was getting HD. The day I installed the DTA happen to be the same day the cable company went from HD to Standard. I did call the company and spoke to a (clueless) person who told me I had to set the aspect to 4:3 if I wanted wide screen (insert head slap smiley)

At this point I just asked for a supervisor. When he got on the phone I was told it was a software glitch (translation: someone screwed up but blame it on the software because customers are not bright enough to know better). I was told if I wanted HD I would have to upgrade to a more expensive plan.

Quote:
Did the Keedox get rid of any pesky nonsense that would have prevented you from making harddrive recordings that can be burned to DVD? (I mean, that WAS the whole point, right? )
I didn't try to record anything mainly because I couldn't get HD. It would have worked.

Now I'm streaming content and using PlayLater (playon.tv). I just have to wait a day now until the networks make the videos available.

Quote:
The Cable company is still transmitting Standard Def to my home, unless you are saying I can eliminate Cable
Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited by Rons2; 03-01-2015 at 01:00 PM.
post #26323 of 26330 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Availability of MDR 515/557H

I was just on the Walmart website and saw that the Magnavox DVRs like the 515 and MDR557H/F7 were no longer available.

Amazon only has the 557 model available new and shipping is listed as 1-2 months?

What is the story? Are there new models? Is the line discontinued? Stuck on slow boats from China at a west coast port where ships are backlogged?
SnidelyW likes this.
post #26324 of 26330 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post
I was just on the Walmart website and saw that the Magnavox DVRs like the 515 and MDR557H/F7 were no longer available.

Amazon only has the 557 model available new and shipping is listed as 1-2 months?

What is the story? Are there new models? Is the line discontinued? Stuck on slow boats from China at a west coast port where ships are backlogged?
Not sure what's up with the 557, but the best price I've found for these units right now is a refurb'd 535 for $179.99 from Best Buy.

EDIT: The 535 at Best Buy is "pickup-only"... it has to be available at a local store... enter zip code and hope a store near there has it.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 07:32 AM.
post #26325 of 26330 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Not sure what's up with the 557, but the best price I've found for these units right now is a refurb'd 535 for $179.99 from Best Buy.
The Home Depot shipping on 02/04 information was apparently outdated when it was given to me and the sales associate didn't know at the time. I'm guessing the stock database hadn't been updated properly in the system at the time.
post #26326 of 26330 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
The Home Depot shipping on 02/04 information was apparently outdated when it was given to me and the sales associate didn't know at the time. I'm guessing the stock database hadn't been updated properly in the system at the time.
I did not know HD sold electronics. But dang, after seeing this post I went to their website and they had multiple TVs and such. Will they add a produce section next? I'm thinking beer and chips so contractors can pick up a six-pack with their 2x4s and paint.
post #26327 of 26330 Unread Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post
I did not know HD sold electronics. But dang, after seeing this post I went to their website and they had multiple TVs and such. Will they add a produce section next? I'm thinking beer and chips so contractors can pick up a six-pack with their 2x4s and paint.

Haha! Well, they gotta get lunch somewhere right?
post #26328 of 26330 Unread Yesterday, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Best Buy lists the refurb 535 on their website but it is not available when you try to place the order. Also not available from Best Buy by telephone.

Refurb 557 is available for $258 from Amazon vendor plus $20 shipping, or can wait for new unit direct from Amazon for $300. Amazon saying 1 to 2 month wait, but I recently bought Iscan mini from them with supposedly a 1 to 3 month wait and I got it in only 10 days. I ordered the new 557 two days ago.
post #26329 of 26330 Unread Today, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB View Post
Best Buy lists the refurb 535 on their website but it is not available when you try to place the order. Also not available from Best Buy by telephone.

Refurb 557 is available for $258 from Amazon vendor plus $20 shipping, or can wait for new unit direct from Amazon for $300. Amazon saying 1 to 2 month wait, but I recently bought Iscan mini from them with supposedly a 1 to 3 month wait and I got it in only 10 days. I ordered the new 557 two days ago.
Yes, the 535 at Best Buy is "pickup-only"... it has to be available at a local store... you have to enter zip code and hope a store near there has it.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26330 of 26330 Unread Today, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Yes, the 535 at Best Buy is "pickup-only"... it has to be available at a local store... you have to enter zip code and hope a store near there has it.
Sadly I couldn't find any stores that had it in stock using multiple zip codes in the Midwest and California, which is why I went with Amazon.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page