Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 880 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #26371 of 26401 Old 04-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sightsandsounds View Post
I accidently found the 1 TB mag/ Funai back at Walmart, Quick Before They Are GONE,,,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-M...ingMethod=p13n

Magnavox MDR557H/F7 1TB Hard Drive/DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner
Hope the Link works, it looks too long in my message box,,,

looks good,,
New,,
$300, a little high but could be the end,,,
Actually, $300 for a 557 is a pretty good price in my neck of the woods. I dropped $280 including tax and shipping for an MDR535 (500GB HDD) from Wally World. Throw in local sales tax and the 557 would cost only 40 bucks more. Pretty good for twice the HDD space. Even better if you get it from Amazon and live in a no-sales-tax collection state (but of course, you pay your "use tax" or whatever it's called in your state to make up for it).

I wanted to retain the 2.5 and 3 hr record rates, which I use quite frequently, so I can somewhat justify in my own mind flipping for the 535.

Still good to see these machines readily available again. Back in Feb. I was wondering if their disappearance from the supply line was The End or just a blip while waiting for the next container ship from China. Maybe they were held up by that dock workers' strike/slow down in CA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26372 of 26401 Old 04-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Program source is another diff.The old transfers were from disc to disc....the new recording is streamed from YT.
Could it be that there's just less info.from the stream vs.disc,thus allowing for a(substantially)longer record time?
Someone else around here(can't remember who) postulated something very similar to this.It's a possible explanation.
Problem is....a lack of video input should(theoretically at least) produce the same effect,but didn't with the old recordings...so i don't know.

I don't really expect an answer...this is one of those weird things that's more like voodoo than science...
FWIW, I regularly use one of my Panasonic recorders for audio time-shifting, so it has audio but no video going into one of the line inputs on the back. The resulting files are much, MUCH smaller than a video file would be.

The interesting thing is the maximum amount of material I can dub to a DVD is about 8 hours, the longer of the Panny's two SLP modes, even though the disc is nowhere near full of data. Too bad because if I could pack the disc to its full ~4.4GB it'd hold several full-length operas or many full symphony concerts.

Should try it on the Magnavox to see if the same holds true.
post #26373 of 26401 Old 04-08-2015, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post
FWIW, I regularly use one of my Panasonic recorders for audio time-shifting, so it has audio but no video going into one of the line inputs on the back. The resulting files are much, MUCH smaller than a video file would be.

The interesting thing is the maximum amount of material I can dub to a DVD is about 8 hours, the longer of the Panny's two SLP modes, even though the disc is nowhere near full of data. Too bad because if I could pack the disc to its full ~4.4GB it'd hold several full-length operas or many full symphony concerts.

Already done.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26374 of 26401 Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've tried that many times.

I have an older non HDD unit by Mag. It also does vas to dvd. It has a similar hdmi out and it works fine.
:-(
post #26375 of 26401 Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oops typing error

My other unit does VHS to DVD..
post #26376 of 26401 Old 04-09-2015, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Thank You Very Much for your response doswonk1...i didn't think i'd ever run into anybody else that records audio books too.
The only guess i could come up with is that there's simply less info contained in an internet stream or downloads than from disc/cable/sat.,or as you said...a much smaller file size.
The audio book i'm currently recording is 23hrs.56 mins.in length,broken into 2 parts of equal length...which would require 4 discs recorded in the 6hr.SLP mode...but am ending up with a whole LOT more space left over,(>2hrs.)which shows that max.recording times for these discs isn't chiseled in stone...it can vary quite a bit depending on file size....which explains a few other anomalous record times i've seen with other recordings i've done....and am more than happy to have confirmation that i'm not the only one who has seen record times that everybody else seem to think *can't* happen....i guess they think i've been lying...or don't know what i'm talking about...geez,the guy must be hallucinating or something

PS:Just want to add that i had Never seen any extra disc space weirdness when i recorded from cable/sat.or dvd disc...it only started when i began streaming and DL'ing content off the net,it's an internet thing,and it doesn't happen often....it must be a combination of file size and rec.length?

Last edited by greaser; 04-09-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: add PS
post #26377 of 26401 Old 04-09-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MDR533H HD upgrade

I have a MDR533H 320 GB HD model and would like to upgrade to a 750GB or 1 TB hard drive.
Is this possible and how is it done?
post #26378 of 26401 Old 04-09-2015, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
I have a MDR533H 320 GB HD model and would like to upgrade to a 750GB or 1 TB hard drive.
Is this possible and how is it done?
Here's the help file for upgrading your HDD... lots of info there with links to individual subjects in jump list at top. One of those is a Table VI and discussion for the 53x Series. A 1TB 2-1/2" HDD is possible.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26379 of 26401 Old 04-09-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
That was fast....thanks for the help.
I followed the instructions and now have a 750 GB HD running in place of the 320 HD

Many thanks.
post #26380 of 26401 Old 04-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Folks....a couple of serious issues with several 557H/F7, delivered yesterday from Amazon.

1. The tuners do not have the same digital cable capability as did the earlier 535s we purchased a year ago from WalMart. The higher channels are not there, those above 200 do not come in at all. They did on the 535s, though on different channels than expected.

2. Two of the seven machines we ordered appear to have voltage leakage issues. When touching the side of each case, we received a perceptible electrical shock.

We are sending all seven back to Amazon and will not be purchasing any more.

The manufacture date is February 2015.

The serial number of the two with the voltage that shocked us is J07 518 475, J07 518 458.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://www.austinpetsalive.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
post #26381 of 26401 Old 04-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Picture too large

All of a sudden the picture from my Magnavox 535 (MDR533H/F7) is too large for the display on my tv. I have tried the different display settings with no change. I have the Video_>TV Aspect on 4:3 letterbox. But also tried 4:3 Pan& Scan and 16:9 Wide. No Change.

It doesn't matter what I am using for the source. If I am playing DVD, or playing recorded from the HDD, or just watching OTA television, the picture is off the screen.

I am using a Samsung Series 6 6600 LED for the display. Anything else that I display on the Samsung TV is fine. This includes Direct TV, includes Sony Blu-ray player or just watching TV (OTA) the picture is perfectly sized. It is only with the Magnavox.

I have absolutely no doubt this will end up being an embarrassingly simple setting but I am stumped. Any help, direction is appreciated.

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #26382 of 26401 Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
All of a sudden the picture from my Magnavox 535 (MDR533H/F7) is too large for the display on my tv. I have tried the different display settings with no change. I have the Video_>TV Aspect on 4:3 letterbox. But also tried 4:3 Pan& Scan and 16:9 Wide. No Change.

It doesn't matter what I am using for the source. If I am playing DVD, or playing recorded from the HDD, or just watching OTA television, the picture is off the screen.

I am using a Samsung Series 6 6600 LED for the display. Anything else that I display on the Samsung TV is fine. This includes Direct TV, includes Sony Blu-ray player or just watching TV (OTA) the picture is perfectly sized. It is only with the Magnavox.

I have absolutely no doubt this will end up being an embarrassingly simple setting but I am stumped. Any help, direction is appreciated.
If you change the TV Aspect setting from one to another, you should normally see a change in the pic aspect immediately (if one is possible based on the source).

Unless someone can think of a "super-simple" thing to try, your 535 might need a reset? Try the Soft Reset first, then a Hard Reset if no joy? Note the things you might lose and prepare accordingly, as advised there.

post #26383 of 26401 Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post

Someone may have changed the zoom level on the TV. Most TVs remember the zoom setting for each input individually. While watching something playing on the Magnavox, grab the Samsung remote and change the picture zoom level. Some Samsung TV remotes have a dedicated button for this labeled "P.Size".
post #26384 of 26401 Old 04-11-2015, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Someone may have changed the zoom level on the TV. Most TVs remember the zoom setting for each input individually. While watching something playing on the Magnavox, grab the Samsung remote and change the picture zoom level. Some Samsung TV remotes have a dedicated button for this labeled "P.Size".
Hmmmmmm.... Grandkids left on Monday!! That's about when this started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
If you change the TV Aspect setting from one to another, you should normally see a change in the pic aspect immediately (if one is possible based on the source).

Unless someone can think of a "super-simple" thing to try, your 535 might need a reset? Try the Soft Reset first, then a Hard Reset if no joy? Note the things you might lose and prepare accordingly, as advised there.
If the above doesn't work I'll try the reset.

Thanks to you both.

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #26385 of 26401 Old 04-11-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I first read that for some reason I thought you were suggesting he change the aspect ratio in the Maggie setup menu. Now I read it again, I see that I gave the same advice you did. Sorry about that.
post #26386 of 26401 Old 04-12-2015, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Motorola DCH6416

We have a DVR/Cable Box provided by TWC. It is a Motorola DCH6416. The hard drive on the DVR is almost full. We wanted to get some of the shows that we recorded off the this box and onto a DVD recorder. Most of the shows are from local TV stations. We are thinking of buying Magnavox DVD Recorder from Wal-Mart. My question is: It is possible to copy these shows from DVR/Cable Box to Magnavox DVD Recorder? Thanks.
post #26387 of 26401 Old 04-12-2015, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlactor View Post
We have a DVR/Cable Box provided by TWC. It is a Motorola DCH6416. The hard drive on the DVR is almost full. We wanted to get some of the shows that we recorded off the this box and onto a DVD recorder. Most of the shows are from local TV stations. We are thinking of buying Magnavox DVD Recorder from Wal-Mart. My question is: It is possible to copy these shows from DVR/Cable Box to Magnavox DVD Recorder? Thanks.
Absolutely!

Here's the help file on copying from external sources. Many more help files listed on page 1 of this thread.

post #26388 of 26401 Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 PM

Re: Motorola DCH6416

What about shows recorded in High-Definition? Most of the shows recorded in HD. Does Magnavox DVD Recorder copies from HD to HD? Thanks.
post #26389 of 26401 Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mag, and all DVD recorders, record in std def 480i and produce "DVD quality" pic from digital/HD sources (like antenna or digital cable).

Assuming your "HD to HD" means HDD>HDD, Mag can copy from external sources but cannot connect external HDDs (no USB). As mentioned, DVD recorders cannot copy in HD (720p/1080i/1080p), only SD 480i ("DVD quality").

Last edited by wajo; 04-12-2015 at 06:59 PM.
post #26390 of 26401 Old 04-12-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Mag, and all DVD recorders, record in std def 480i and produce "DVD quality" pic from digital/HD sources (like antenna or digital cable). Mag can copy from external sources but cannot connect external HDDs (no USB).
If we copied HD shows from cable box to DVD, will it record in HD? Thanks for your help on this.
post #26391 of 26401 Old 04-12-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If we copied HD shows from cable box to DVD, will it record in HD? Thanks for your help on this.
The HD version of DVD is called Blu-ray. Unfortunately Blu-ray recorders are as rare as hen's teeth in the US.
post #26392 of 26401 Old 04-12-2015, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
No, they'd be in SD 480i and look "DVD-quality" (i.e., like commercial movies on DVD).

DVD recorders HAVE TO record in 480i since that's the DVD Standard... essentially, if a recorder has a DVD burner, it has to record in SD 480i since it's designed in accordance with that Standard.

HD DVRs do NOT include DVD burners so they're not restricted by the 480i requirement of the DVD Standard.

post #26393 of 26401 Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe some one can help me out. I have a MDR537H (out of warranty) that has this problem...

The Disc Menu on the remote does not work. Press the button and nothing happens. Change batteries in remote - no help. Figured it was a bad button on the remote, so bought another remote from amazon (another NC003). But that did not help.

Then I realize the DVD button doesn't work, either. The dvd tray will move in & out, and most other buttons still work.

So I'm thinking I'll have to get this MDR repaired, or buy another one. Any good repair centers in the US you can recommend? Perhaps it's not cost effective to have it repaired.

There have been a number of dvds burned on the MDR that were not finalized. I'm wondering if a new MDR can finalize discs from the old MDR. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.
post #26394 of 26401 Old 04-13-2015, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2000 View Post
Maybe some one can help me out. I have a MDR537H (out of warranty) that has this problem...

The Disc Menu on the remote does not work. Press the button and nothing happens. Change batteries in remote - no help. Figured it was a bad button on the remote, so bought another remote from amazon (another NC003). But that did not help.

Then I realize the DVD button doesn't work, either. The dvd tray will move in & out, and most other buttons still work.

So I'm thinking I'll have to get this MDR repaired, or buy another one. Any good repair centers in the US you can recommend? Perhaps it's not cost effective to have it repaired.

There have been a number of dvds burned on the MDR that were not finalized. I'm wondering if a new MDR can finalize discs from the old MDR. Anyone know?

All Mag HDD DVDRs prior to the 557 can Finalize each other's DVDs if you turn Recording > Make Recording Compatible ON, as described here.

Some reasons the Disc Edit menu might not be "active" include no unfinalized and fully loaded DVD in the tray, a Finalized and fully loaded DVD-R/+R is in the tray, etc.

If none of those "normal" conditions apply, you might want to try a Soft Reset and, if no joy, a Hard Reset, as described here?

Last edited by wajo; 04-13-2015 at 12:11 PM.
post #26395 of 26401 Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post
seems to be available on Amazon now also; same price

the summary post for added/removed features indicates that they have dropped the "index picture" capability; for me this is an issue as editing the title text tends to be cumbersome; on the other hand, the 8 hr recording mode would be convenient when you're interested in quantity on dvd rather than best quality.
You mean it's not possible to add an index picture after you've burned to DVD on the new 557 model? That's also an issue for me. Can you direct me to the summary post for added/removed features? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.
post #26396 of 26401 Old 04-14-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallo View Post
You mean it's not possible to add an index picture after you've burned to DVD on the new 557 model? That's also an issue for me. Can you direct me to the summary post for added/removed features? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.
yes, there is no mention of picture indexing for this new model in its manual; the summary can be found in this forum at:

Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575

which also contains a link to the 557 manual.
post #26397 of 26401 Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
This thread is double-indexed, starting with Page 1, so you should be able to find most anything with two clicks.

post #26398 of 26401 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post
yes, there is no mention of picture indexing for this new model in its manual; the summary can be found in this forum at:

Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575

which also contains a link to the 557 manual.
Thanks. I'm gonna stick with the 537 for now.
post #26399 of 26401 Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM

Quote:
This thread is double-indexed, starting with Page 1, so you should be able to find most anything with two clicks.
Found it, thanks.
post #26400 of 26401 Old Today, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks. I'm gonna stick with the 537 for now.
that was the same conclusion I reached; some of the new features are nice, but I don't understand why they would eliminate the index picture capability.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page