Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 881 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #26401 of 26418 Old 04-20-2015, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
"News Flash" - The Magnavox MDR557H/F7 is now in stock at Walmart (# 552610537) for $249.98. By contrast, a refurb is only $10 less, and the Funai branded version is $346.99.<br>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26402 of 26418 Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayer View Post
"News Flash" - The Magnavox MDR557H/F7 is now in stock at Walmart (# 552610537) for $249.98. By contrast, a refurb is only $10 less, and the Funai branded version is $346.99.<br>
Looks like the Funai version is actually being sold by a third party.

That might explain it still being for a much higher price. Nice to see the machine back in the same price ballpark the earlier models were in.

EDIT:
Amazon's price is down to $250 as well.

Last edited by gastrof; 04-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.
post #26403 of 26418 Old 04-20-2015, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I've never seen a "Funai-branded" version of the MDR557, they're all Magnavox brand.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26404 of 26418 Old 04-20-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
I've never seen a "Funai-branded" version of the MDR557, they're all Magnavox brand.
A search at walmart.com can produce results that include "Funai MDR557H/F7". That's the one that also shows (if you look at the small print) as being sold by a third party for a much higher price.
post #26405 of 26418 Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question Recording error from Free On Demand Optimum/Cablevision Station

Using both the manual and your informative message, I have been able to set up my two 557 units so that I have multiple recording possibilities and can view channels both through the unit directly as well as via the cablebox. Due to the configuration of the On Demand channels received from Cablevision, I did have to split the incoming signal without too much loss of signal strength. Although I can view it, today I discovered that I could not record a free On Demand channel on the 557, but I can on an older VCR unit. I was also able to record these channels on a Panasonic DVDR that I no longer have. According to the unit's manual, if a copyright protection signal is transmitted, the unit cannot record the program. I called Cablevision Tech. Support and asked if such a signal was transmitted. The person I spoke with read me something that indicated that copyright issues would not allow recording of the On Demand channels on any equipment. This is not completely true inasmuch as I am and have been able to do it on other machines. I understand not being able to record programs that aren't free on demand, but should still be able to do it for the free programming that is only repeat showings of regular broadcast programs. Is there any work around to record the Free On Demand programs on the 557?
post #26406 of 26418 Old 04-20-2015, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaikow View Post
The person I spoke with read me something that indicated that copyright issues would not allow recording of the On Demand channels on any equipment.
As you read in the manual, if the content is copy-protected -- either by demand of the owner or by whim of the cable co -- recorders that honor the CP signal will not record it. Free On-Demand means it is free for you to view but does not imply that it is free for you to copy. If you had a recorder that did so before, either the content was not protected or the recorder was so old it did not bother to honor the flag.

If you are feeding the analog output of your cable box to the analog input of the recorder to make the recording, you will have to buy and install a copy-protection buster box. They come under the names Grex, Logic Design, etc. Many use them and someone else will chime in.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26407 of 26418 Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaikow View Post
...The person I spoke with read me something that indicated that copyright issues would not allow recording of the On Demand channels on any equipment. This is not completely true inasmuch as I am and have been able to do it on other machines...
They weren't talking about the ability to record on a machine. They were saying whether or not you're SUPPOSED TO (in other words, if it's copy-protected or not).

The fact your other machines were somehow able to do it is besides the point. They were talking about copy protection, and saying that's why your new(er) machine can't.
post #26408 of 26418 Old 04-20-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Looks like the Funai version is actually being sold by a third party.

That might explain it still being for a much higher price. Nice to see the machine back in the same price ballpark the earlier models were in.

EDIT:
Amazon's price is down to $250 as well.
I checked Amazon at the time of my original post and they were still $49 higher; not unexpectedly, they've since "price matched." Prices being equal, I always opt for Walmart, because they offer 5% cash back with a Discover card.

With respect to "Funai" branded, that's the seller's terminology, and I couldn't really think of any other way to describe it. But you're right, the accompanying graphic shows the Magnavox unit, and that same vendor (Beach Audio) is selling it under *that* name on Amazon as well, and at the same (much higher) price.
post #26409 of 26418 Old 04-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why the big drop in the price of the 557 model?

Total rookie here, so it's not obvious to me. Wondered if it was an indication that newer models may be coming...
post #26410 of 26418 Old 04-21-2015, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBH1965 View Post
Why the big drop in the price of the 557 model?

Total rookie here, so it's not obvious to me. Wondered if it was an indication that newer models may be coming...
Mar/Apr/May time period has been one of FunaiPhilips favorite new-model release times so it is *possible* that something new is coming. The 557 was released in May 2014.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26411 of 26418 Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Mar/Apr/May time period has been one of FunaiPhilips favorite new-model release times so it is *possible* that something new is coming. The 557 was released in May 2014.
Many thanks! I still hold out hope that one of these days they will produce a new model that will allow for a high-speed (lossless) DVD>HDD dub.
post #26412 of 26418 Old 04-22-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBH1965 View Post
Many thanks! I still hold out hope that one of these days they will produce a new model that will allow for a high-speed (lossless) DVD>HDD dub.
Or maybe, there's a new model that in addition to still being able to burn DVDs that are coded for 16x9 playback (like the 557), they've restored the 2.5 and 3 hour recording options?
post #26413 of 26418 Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Wajo: A few answers to a few questions please. Will the 557 unit work without problems with a 1 TB HDD that was recorded on a MDR537H/F7 unit? I am the guy that has a 537 unit with a blown power supply module for which no replacement can be found. I followed the suggestion you gave on this issue when I last mentioned it. No luck. Funi tech support could only give me the address & Phone # for a different authorized repair center, a hundred miles away from me, than the one I already went to that is very close to where I live. That was useless. There are some power supply repair kits on eBay, but I couldn't find one specific for the Magnavox MDR537H/F7 unit. The only other option that comes to mind is to get out my voltmeter and soldering iron and try to figure out which component on the power supply module to replace. I would much rather snap-in a new good module. I can see by the markings on the PS module that it was probably manufactured for Funi by Robinson Nugent. If so Funi could order manufacture of a small batch to sell to repair these units. Mine can't be the only one that failed. There has got to be lots more broken MDR537H/F7 units out there. It is my belief that the Funi cut corners on the PS to save manufacturing $cost. They didn't order it originally from Robinson Nugent with sufficient surge current capacity to keep the PS from failing on even modest overload. Am I full of crap on that? Have you knowledge of lots of other folks in the same position as I am in on blown PS modules?

Another option just occurred to me. I also have a working Magnavox H2160MW9 unit. Do you know anything about whether or not the PS module in this unit will work in a Magnavox MDR537H/F7 unit?

Wajo, Thanks for your help. It seems like you must be putting in a lot of time on this for as much free help you have provided.
post #26414 of 26418 Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedPalmer View Post
Wajo: A few answers to a few questions please. Will the 557 unit work without problems with a 1 TB HDD that was recorded on a MDR537H/F7 unit?
I don't think anyone has tried that yet. One user said he thought the 53x series HDDs couldn't be swapped with older units because they (and the follow-on 557?) use a diff. allocation unit (cluster) size, which might require a format to use in older units. If so, and both the 53x and 557 series use the same cluster size, I'm not sure you could do a 53x/557 marriage since the 557 introduced a different recording method (video-mode vs. +VR)... might not "recognize" the HDD content???

Quote:
I am the guy that has a 537 unit with a blown power supply module for which no replacement can be found. I followed the suggestion you gave on this issue when I last mentioned it. No luck. Funi tech support could only give me the address & Phone # for a different authorized repair center, a hundred miles away from me, than the one I already went to that is very close to where I live. That was useless. There are some power supply repair kits on eBay, but I couldn't find one specific for the Magnavox MDR537H/F7 unit. The only other option that comes to mind is to get out my voltmeter and soldering iron and try to figure out which component on the power supply module to replace. I would much rather snap-in a new good module. I can see by the markings on the PS module that it was probably manufactured for Funi by Robinson Nugent. If so Funi could order manufacture of a small batch to sell to repair these units. Mine can't be the only one that failed. There has got to be lots more broken MDR537H/F7 units out there. It is my belief that the Funi cut corners on the PS to save manufacturing $cost. They didn't order it originally from Robinson Nugent with sufficient surge current capacity to keep the PS from failing on even modest overload. Am I full of crap on that? Have you knowledge of lots of other folks in the same position as I am in on blown PS modules?
I can't remember if you tried a Soft Reset for a suspected power supply problem (unit plays dead)? Always good to try before declaring a unit truly "dead." Lots of units needed that reset after power outages and lightning.

Quote:
Another option just occurred to me. I also have a working Magnavox H2160MW9 unit. Do you know anything about whether or not the PS module in this unit will work in a Magnavox MDR537H/F7 unit?
I would *guess* that wouldn't work since Funai used a diff. PS design starting with the 53x series (which caused problems and a change from 3-1/2" to 2-1/2" HDDs), which might have been carried over to the 557 (another guess).

Sorry, not much help here.

post #26415 of 26418 Old 04-23-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I can't remember if you tried a Soft Reset for a suspected power supply problem (unit plays dead)? Always good to try before declaring a unit truly "dead." Lots of units needed that reset after power outages and lightning.

Sorry, not much help here.
Wajo,

I tried the soft reset. It didn't help.
No need for you to be sorry. You have been a tremendous help to me. Thank you for all you do.
post #26416 of 26418 Old 04-23-2015, 11:44 PM

A general comment and questions to the thread.

I am now using Microsoft Windows Media Center for most of my recording of OTA TV content. I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR circuit board that I added to one of my PCs that I use to do this. I added a 4 TB HDD to the PC on which I do this. I have been doing this for about 8 months now. The HDD is only about 1/3 full. I feel like I record and keep quit a bit of the content I capture. I like being able to control the playback process using my computer mouse. I am generally satisfied with this setup, but like most folks, I always want a lot more. When I started using this setup, I was hopeful that I would be able to title the content that I recorded using my computer keyboard. But I can not. Which is just one of many disappointments that I have about Windows Media Center. I'll list all of my disappointments later.

I was inspired to make this change because I was really tired of titling my content using the remote control on my MDR537H/F7 unit. Using a numeric keypad with those cheap rubber buttons to enter text is a real pain in my ass. It consumes voracious amounts of my time. I hate that part about my MDR537H/F7 unit. I wore out the remote on my H2160MW9 unit, and had to acquire a replacement. I also acquired a new Philips model HDR5710/F7 for $100 from Nebraska Furniture Mart. At that price I would buy it to just sit and look at it. It has a USB connector on it that I thought I might be able to add a USB hub so that I could add a PC keyboard and mouse. But the HDR5710/F7 doesn't support that on the USB interface. It will allow me to add external computer HDDs. The owners manual says that it will allow me to "register" up to 8 HDDs. It has an internal HDD of 500 GB. I haven't added a HDD to it yet, but I wouldn't be bothered with anything less than 4TB HDDs. Times 8 that would be 32 TB of content. That is a lot. But I have come to realize, though I don't recall how I became aware of it, that the HDR5710/F7 unit consumes a lot more space to record content than does the MDR537H/F7 unit. That is probably because it will record high definition (HD) by default. HDR5710/F7 unit does not have simple basic editing capabilities as does the MDR537H/F7 unit. Magnavox really spoiled me with that. I came to think that was normal for all DVRs, but it is not. HDTV is so damn good that I can see every pore and skin flaw on peoples faces. I don't really need that kind of quality in my video, though it is nice to have. That will probably be normal for all TV in the not too distant future.

I believe that the file format for the HDR5710/F7 unit is some kind of Linux file format. The owner's manual cautions the user that the HDR5710/F7 unit will reformat whatever HDD is connected to it. So be careful about what you connect to it because anything else you may have on the HDD will be gone after the HDD is reformated.

All,

I had a list of 22 items for the ideal DVR that it took me about 2 hours to compose. This website logged me off without warning. Now my content that cost me so much my time is gone and can not be recovered. If you are composing a long message, be sure to save it to a text editor before clicking on submit. It could cost you dearly like it cost me.
post #26417 of 26418 Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

For titling recorded shows, there's an option to PRE-TITLE them via the timer programming menu, as described here.

post #26418 of 26418 Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
If you change the TV Aspect setting from one to another, you should normally see a change in the pic aspect immediately (if one is possible based on the source).

Unless someone can think of a "super-simple" thing to try, your 535 might need a reset? Try the Soft Reset first, then a Hard Reset if no joy? Note the things you might lose and prepare accordingly, as advised there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Someone may have changed the zoom level on the TV. Most TVs remember the zoom setting for each input individually. While watching something playing on the Magnavox, grab the Samsung remote and change the picture zoom level. Some Samsung TV remotes have a dedicated button for this labeled "P.Size".
And that is is exactly what it was! A 23 second fix. I apologize for not thanking you both before now. After I got this fixed I had some surgery and this is the first I have been online since. Thanks again.

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page