Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 881 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #26401 of 26408 Old Today, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
"News Flash" - The Magnavox MDR557H/F7 is now in stock at Walmart (# 552610537) for $249.98. By contrast, a refurb is only $10 less, and the Funai branded version is $346.99.<br>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26402 of 26408 Old Today, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayer View Post
"News Flash" - The Magnavox MDR557H/F7 is now in stock at Walmart (# 552610537) for $249.98. By contrast, a refurb is only $10 less, and the Funai branded version is $346.99.<br>
Looks like the Funai version is actually being sold by a third party.

That might explain it still being for a much higher price. Nice to see the machine back in the same price ballpark the earlier models were in.

EDIT:
Amazon's price is down to $250 as well.

Last edited by gastrof; Today at 10:12 AM.
post #26403 of 26408 Old Today, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I've never seen a "Funai-branded" version of the MDR557, they're all Magnavox brand.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26404 of 26408 Old Today, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
I've never seen a "Funai-branded" version of the MDR557, they're all Magnavox brand.
A search at walmart.com can produce results that include "Funai MDR557H/F7". That's the one that also shows (if you look at the small print) as being sold by a third party for a much higher price.
post #26405 of 26408 Old Today, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question Recording error from Free On Demand Optimum/Cablevision Station

Using both the manual and your informative message, I have been able to set up my two 557 units so that I have multiple recording possibilities and can view channels both through the unit directly as well as via the cablebox. Due to the configuration of the On Demand channels received from Cablevision, I did have to split the incoming signal without too much loss of signal strength. Although I can view it, today I discovered that I could not record a free On Demand channel on the 557, but I can on an older VCR unit. I was also able to record these channels on a Panasonic DVDR that I no longer have. According to the unit's manual, if a copyright protection signal is transmitted, the unit cannot record the program. I called Cablevision Tech. Support and asked if such a signal was transmitted. The person I spoke with read me something that indicated that copyright issues would not allow recording of the On Demand channels on any equipment. This is not completely true inasmuch as I am and have been able to do it on other machines. I understand not being able to record programs that aren't free on demand, but should still be able to do it for the free programming that is only repeat showings of regular broadcast programs. Is there any work around to record the Free On Demand programs on the 557?
post #26406 of 26408 Old Today, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaikow View Post
The person I spoke with read me something that indicated that copyright issues would not allow recording of the On Demand channels on any equipment.
As you read in the manual, if the content is copy-protected -- either by demand of the owner or by whim of the cable co -- recorders that honor the CP signal will not record it. Free On-Demand means it is free for you to view but does not imply that it is free for you to copy. If you had a recorder that did so before, either the content was not protected or the recorder was so old it did not bother to honor the flag.

If you are feeding the analog output of your cable box to the analog input of the recorder to make the recording, you will have to buy and install a copy-protection buster box. They come under the names Grex, Logic Design, etc. Many use them and someone else will chime in.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26407 of 26408 Unread Today, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaikow View Post
...The person I spoke with read me something that indicated that copyright issues would not allow recording of the On Demand channels on any equipment. This is not completely true inasmuch as I am and have been able to do it on other machines...
They weren't talking about the ability to record on a machine. They were saying whether or not you're SUPPOSED TO (in other words, if it's copy-protected or not).

The fact your other machines were somehow able to do it is besides the point. They were talking about copy protection, and saying that's why your new(er) machine can't.
post #26408 of 26408 Unread Today, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Looks like the Funai version is actually being sold by a third party.

That might explain it still being for a much higher price. Nice to see the machine back in the same price ballpark the earlier models were in.

EDIT:
Amazon's price is down to $250 as well.
I checked Amazon at the time of my original post and they were still $49 higher; not unexpectedly, they've since "price matched." Prices being equal, I always opt for Walmart, because they offer 5% cash back with a Discover card.

With respect to "Funai" branded, that's the seller's terminology, and I couldn't really think of any other way to describe it. But you're right, the accompanying graphic shows the Magnavox unit, and that same vendor (Beach Audio) is selling it under *that* name on Amazon as well, and at the same (much higher) price.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page