Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 882 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #26431 of 26451 Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT View Post
Time Warner says they will transition to an all-digital network requiring all customers to get digital adapters. Yes my TV is connected through the Mag 533 using the coax. Here is the website http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential.html area code 27502. I always record while watching a different channel on TV. Will I lose all recording functionality of the Mag with this adapter? Is my only option getting an antenna?
The picture shown is a DTA. No composite, so the DTA outputs a pretty bad signal on ch 3/4 or HDMI that might be HD tiers only. On your TV now do you get analog (whole numbers) and digital (decimal points) or both? The web site does say "digital initiative", not encryption. That is good. It's not a guarantee, but there is hope. The 533 will accept digital (called clear QAM) as well as analog. So will all digital televisions. I hope the 533 connects to your TV by HDMI. I hope your TV has an HDMI input. Let's go from there. I don't mind baby steps if you don't.

What make/model is your TV? If there is an Info button, does it say NTSC or 480i?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26432 of 26451 Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I get analog and digital channels. Yes the the Mag is connected to the TV by HDMI. My TV model is the Samsung LN46B650 46 in 1080p. I also have a couple others that are similar but smaller. TWC announced “Beginning on May 5th, we'll do a series of channel cuts which will run May through the end of June" when they change to all digital service. On May 5th we lost somewhere around 10 channels. I expect that will continue until they're all gone the end of June.
post #26433 of 26451 Old 05-12-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Yes I get analog and digital channels. Yes the the Mag is connected to the TV by HDMI. My TV model is the Samsung LN46B650 46 in 1080p. I also have a couple others that are similar but smaller. TWC announced “Beginning on May 5th, we'll do a series of channel cuts which will run May through the end of June" when they change to all digital service. On May 5th we lost somewhere around 10 channels. I expect that will continue until they're all gone the end of June.
If you are losing analog channels it would be normal. Those channels use a lot of bandwidth. Losing digital channels is not so good. I would suggest you make a list of all channels you now receive. Note their channel number and network, perhaps call letters if they are broadcast type. It would be normal to see the channels go away gradually. My feed started encrypting channels in January. They started with CBS. That was a bad move. I went all digital during the previous year, but nothing was "lost" since all analog channels had a digital "mirror" channel. I currently have SD and HD mirror channels. I hope you can rescan your TV's channels and note the counts if it has that ability. I started with 170 digital channels and about 70 analog. I now have 1 clear digital channel and 5 analog test pattern channels. It took 2 years. My cable company is quite small so things take a while. If what you are losing are channels that you record or watch, then you need to decide on an action plan. The 533 does not have an HDMI input (no US made DVR does). So when you compare the picture on channel 3/4 to what you get on HDMI, you will need to decide on a course of action. Examine the price (use an annual number), the service (bundled or not), and your recording/viewing habits. Then you can decide your next step. Since you have above average abilities by virtue of being here and asking questions, you should be able to decide the course of action best for you.

When I saw encryption on the horizon, I went the TiVo route. There are other choices. An antenna is not one of my choices. I also have, like I said, a small cable company, which can both help and hurt. One thing to bet the farm on: all cable is local. Local, as in down to the zipcode. Remember they said digital not encrypted, so there is hope. Anything else?
post #26434 of 26451 Old 05-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
TWC announced “Beginning on May 5th, we'll do a series of channel cuts which will run May through the end of June" when they change to all digital service. On May 5th we lost somewhere around 10 channels. I expect that will continue until they're all gone the end of June.
They started that here in early March. Everything is encrypted now. The "digital adapters" that are free for now will incur a monthly charge starting next year (and I don't think they would be a good solution for your Magnavox anyway).

The cable connection will become useless without paying TWC an additional monthly fee to decode the signals. I bought a couple of these antennas for my Magnavox DVDRs. They work fairly well if you're not too far from the transmitters.

For recording cable channels, you'll either need to rent a DVR from TWC (for about $20 a month each) or find a cable-card solution (for about $2 a month each). I've built a couple of HTPCs for that (there's a forum here for those).
post #26435 of 26451 Old 05-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Time Warner says they will transition to an all-digital network requiring all customers to get digital adapters. Yes my TV is connected through the Mag 533 using the coax. Here is the website http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential.html area code 27502. I always record while watching a different channel on TV. Will I lose all recording functionality of the Mag with this adapter? Is my only option getting an antenna?
I'll chime in even though it will probably just add to the confusion.

I used TWC for years without a STB. I got the basic tier in analog, and locals in digital. I recently took an "upgrade" offer that lowered my bill a bit and included a Cisco STB. The cable is split, one side to TV, other to Mag 515 then Cisco. 515 to TV is HDMI. Cisco goes to TV on HDMI, and to a Slingbox 350 on component. Slingbox goes ethernet to router, and composite to 515's L1. (Cisco unfortunately has no SVideo to go directly to 515, though even if it did it would be a problem getting its audio output to both the 515 and Slingbox). I know the Slingbox aspect is confusing - suffice it to say that the Slingbox is not a tuner, it's strictly designed to work with (and remotely control) a STB.

OK, so with this setup I use the 515 tuner to record unscrambled channels from the coax input. I record scrambled channels on the L1 composite input. The main channel I don't get unscrambled is BBCA, where currently I want to record Orphan Black on Saturday and Ripper Street on Wed. I program the 515 for both on L1. The Cisco has one on/off/channel timer. When I edit/dub the Wed recording, I change the Cisco's timer to Sat, then ditto back to Wed. Not exactly state-of-the-art, but an acceptable workaround for the few weeks the 2 shows overlap. During parts of the year when there's only one BBCA show it's completely unattended. Well except that we need to always remember to turn off the Cisco - if it's already on at record time on the wrong channel the timer doesn't function. Of course you can also do one-off recordings - WGNAMER is scrambled, so the other day I used the Cisco to record the Salem 5-episode block.

To my eye there is some loss of quality through the composite input vs. the 515's digital tuner (I use SP mode for both).

Another variable is copy protection of TWC's on-demand programming. I've only tried it a few times and it's about 50-50 so far. I haven't determined if copy protection is program-specific or age-related (maybe for first x days after original air date). To the extent that it works it adds a lot of flexibility.

OTOH if you're only using your recordings to time-shift, on-demand may make a lot of your recording activity unnecessary. I'm assuming you don't want to pay for TWC's DVR.

OTA might be another possibility to explore - if you're in an area with good reception even a cheap indoor antenna might get you the all the locals you need. I'm in a fringe area but I've had decent success recording with a PC USB tuner. Never tried with any of my Funai's though.

Anyway after some trial and error this is what works for me, for now at least - hopefully some parts of it might work for you. BTW TWC may have more than one model of STB, so if you get one check the features - multiple on/off/channel timers add recording flexibility (don't confuse with useless "reminder" timers), and assuming the 533's still had SVideo In then a STB with SVideo Out would give you better results than composite IMO...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #26436 of 26451 Old 05-12-2015, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abfantom View Post
Thanks for the info dfw515

The HDD is intermittently not being recognized. Often it will record for 1 - 2 hours and then stop recording. Other times it fails right at power on.

I removed the external dock and also tried other HDD's with the same results.

Thanks,
abfantom

Abfantom, are you using 2 1/2" laptop HDD's, or 3 1/2" desktop HDD's in your external docks? Laptop drives seems to be more forgiving on the older models (2160A, 2160, 3576, and 3575). Also, have you checked the SATA/eSATA cables to make sure they are firmly connected outside the DVR? Not sure exactly which method you used for externalizing your 2160A's. I had a problem with a 3575 and it's external dock, and eventually realized that the connection between the external cables had been pulled out slightly. Can't guarantee either of these will solve your problem, but perhaps they might. Otherwise, it sounds like it could be a power supply issue, which I have no advice for.
dfw515

post #26437 of 26451 Old 05-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by abfantom View Post
The HDD is intermittently not being recognized. Often it will record for 1 - 2 hours and then stop recording. Other times it fails right at power on.

I removed the external dock and also tried other HDD's with the same results.
I popped the cover off one of my 2160As to find every capacitor I could see the name of, except for the largest and smallest on the PS board, was a Su'Scon brand. Then I searched badcaps.net for Su'Scon and found it has a less than encouraging reputation. Thus, I suggest taking your cover off and searching for any caps that look like have any leakage or swelling, and if any do, replace with major brand (e.g. Nichicon, Panasonic, Rubycon, UCC), and consider replacing any others you find that have matching specifications. If you find none that look bad but are really ambitious, you might just replace all 9 Su'Scon on the PS board, and hopefully, get lucky. Even better if you have a cap tester (I got one on sale from mcmelectronics.com for $99) to check those against their specifications. For a howto if you need one to replace caps, badcaps.net is good.
ClearToLand likes this.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #26438 of 26451 Old 05-13-2015, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
mrmazda,

Thanks for the idea of checking for bad capacitors. I'll take a look. I have fixed several TV's and a VCR in the past by spotting leaking and swelling caps.
post #26439 of 26451 Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw515 View Post
Abfantom, are you using 2 1/2" laptop HDD's, or 3 1/2" desktop HDD's in your external docks? Laptop drives seems to be more forgiving on the older models (2160A, 2160, 3576, and 3575). Also, have you checked the SATA/eSATA cables to make sure they are firmly connected outside the DVR? Not sure exactly which method you used for externalizing your 2160A's. I had a problem with a 3575 and it's external dock, and eventually realized that the connection between the external cables had been pulled out slightly. Can't guarantee either of these will solve your problem, but perhaps they might. Otherwise, it sounds like it could be a power supply issue, which I have no advice for.
dfw515
I'm using 3 1/2" HDD's. I tried two different docks (Star Tech, and BlacX). I then removed all the dock cabling and connected to the HDD directly to the 2160A and still saw the problem

The problem seems to happen either right at power on, or after recording for 2+ hours.

I'm starting to think it might be the power suppply
post #26440 of 26451 Old 05-18-2015, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
...For recording cable channels, you'll either need to rent a DVR from TWC (for about $20 a month each) or find a cable-card solution (for about $2 a month each). I've built a couple of HTPCs for that (there's a forum here for those).
If someone has a Magnavox recorder it's possible to get an HDMI to composite/s-video converter. You feed the HDMI from the cable box into the converter and feed the converter into the Magnavox. The converters of this type that many of us got in the past allowed for recording all channels you get.

We've also gotten similar converters that don't use HDMI, but use composite/s-video to begin with, and output the same. Don't know if you can still get those, especially the ones that allowed for recording.
post #26441 of 26451 Old 05-19-2015, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
If someone has a Magnavox recorder it's possible to get an HDMI to composite/s-video converter. You feed the HDMI from the cable box into the converter and feed the converter into the Magnavox. The converters of this type that many of us got in the past allowed for recording all channels you get.

We've also gotten similar converters that don't use HDMI, but use composite/s-video to begin with, and output the same. Don't know if you can still get those, especially the ones that allowed for recording.
Thanks for info - can you elaborate a bit?

If your cable box has composite, why would you need a converter?

Does a HDMI-to-composite converter give you better quality than straight composite-to-composite?

My setup goes cable box's component to slingbox 350, then slingbox composite to 515 - I'm guessing that's fairly similar to the type of converter arrangement you're describing?

CC

post #26442 of 26451 Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Thanks for info - can you elaborate a bit?

If your cable box has composite, why would you need a converter?

Does a HDMI-to-composite converter give you better quality than straight composite-to-composite?

My setup goes cable box's component to slingbox 350, then slingbox composite to 515 - I'm guessing that's fairly similar to the type of converter arrangement you're describing?
Some cable boxes force 4x3 aspect ratio on their composite outputs. If the channel is broadcasting letterbox material, you'll get the "postage stamp" effect, with black borders surrounding the video. However, if you have a component-composite converter, you'll get to record the picture aspect you would see if you're watching the broadcast live. Also, the converters strip out the protection that prevents you copying to the DVD.
post #26443 of 26451 Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghedien14 View Post
Some cable boxes force 4x3 aspect ratio on their composite outputs. If the channel is broadcasting letterbox material, you'll get the "postage stamp" effect, with black borders surrounding the video. However, if you have a component-composite converter, you'll get to record the picture aspect you would see if you're watching the broadcast live. Also, the converters strip out the protection that prevents you copying to the DVD.
Thanks again - good to know. With my setup, recording mostly just BBCA, I haven't had any real-time recording blocked. I have had some on-demand recording attempts blocked. Either way, everything I've been able to record I have also been able to dub to DVD.

So it seems that my Slingbox setup, although motivated by necessity, may actually have some advantages. At the time it was the only way I could get the cable box's audio to both the Slingbox and the 515, but I seem to remember other issues with trying to use HDMI to TV, component to slingbox and composite to 515 concurrently...

CC

post #26444 of 26451 Old 05-23-2015, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
combine titles - does it work with the 557 model

manual on page 92 for the model MDR557H has instructions for combining two titles into a single title. is there a thread (probably is an old thread) that discusses how this is done or that this function does not work?

the title combining option does not appear on my Edit menu or is there a certain path you take to have it appear?

I was trying to combine titles following the manual but could not get it to work.
thanks!
post #26445 of 26451 Old 05-24-2015, 05:21 PM

Liked: 0
The best brand of dvd-r to use on Magnavox MDR557

We bought the Magnavox MDR557H/F7 from Walmart. What is best brand of dvd-r to use on this DVD recorder? Thanks.
post #26446 of 26451 Old 05-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlactor View Post
We bought the Magnavox MDR557H/F7 from Walmart. What is best brand of dvd-r to use on this DVD recorder? Thanks.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Last edited by tomintn; 05-24-2015 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Corrected link to website.
post #26447 of 26451 Old 05-24-2015, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlactor View Post
A help file on buying and using DVDs in your Mag.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26448 of 26451 Unread Yesterday, 08:20 AM

DVD players in the 515H & 535H question

Are the DVD players in the Magnavox 515H and 535H purchased in the United States region free?

Thank you.
post #26449 of 26451 Unread Yesterday, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post
Are the DVD players in the Magnavox 515H and 535H purchased in the United States region free?
No, they're set for Region 1 for commercial DVD playback. Any DVDs produced in their burners (home-made DVDs) ARE region free..

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #26450 of 26451 Unread Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
No, they're set for Region 1 for commercial DVD playback. Any DVDs produced in their burners (home-made DVDs) ARE region free..

Thank you wajo. I knew you would know the answer.
post #26451 of 26451 Unread Today, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am wondering if Funai was planning a new model of DVD recorder for the U.S. this fall when the analog tuner requirement was going to end with the originally planned September 1 end of low power analog broadcasting? If so, it looks like it won't happen now since the FCC decided that low power stations (except class A ones) won't have to shut down analog this year after all. Presumably the analog tuner requirement will live on as well.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!! And now the deadline has been extended again!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page