Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 883 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #26461 of 26467 Old 05-29-2015, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New 557 or used 535/537?

I have had an mdr535 for a couple years. I use the hdd almost every day mostly for time-shifting, from which I occasionally burn dvds. I haven't had any problems with it and I am looking to buy a second unit. I note from previous posts here that there are apparently significant differences between my 535 and the latest 557 model. Do those differences (some of which I do not fully understand) reduce the basic functionality of the unit? Is the new model "cheaped down" in any sense? Should I buy a new 557, or would I have better luck with a used or refurbed 535/537 on Ebay?

Also, is there a way to transfer contents of the hdd to an external hdd? (I don't mean removing and replacing the internal drive, I mean plugging in a cable and pressing buttons, as you would with a PC.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26462 of 26467 Old 05-29-2015, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2015 View Post
I have had an mdr535 for a couple years. I use the hdd almost every day mostly for time-shifting, from which I occasionally burn dvds. I haven't had any problems with it and I am looking to buy a second unit. I note from previous posts here that there are apparently significant differences between my 535 and the latest 557 model. Do those differences (some of which I do not fully understand) reduce the basic functionality of the unit? Is the new model "cheaped down" in any sense? Should I buy a new 557, or would I have better luck with a used or refurbed 535/537 on Ebay?

Also, is there a way to transfer contents of the hdd to an external hdd? (I don't mean removing and replacing the internal drive, I mean plugging in a cable and pressing buttons, as you would with a PC.)
The major differences are pretty significant to a user of the previous gens of the Mag units, esp. if that user often uses and interchanges unfinalized DVDs made in another Mag unit. The recording systems are different so it would be like using a Panasonic DVDR is an established Mag system. The 557 does have some new features that could be useful to any user, like ability to work with "virtual" titles rather than the real title, thus preserving the original intact, and Combining titles using that "virtual" system.

For transferring titles between Mag units, here's a help file with some suggestions.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; 05-31-2015 at 05:52 AM.
post #26463 of 26467 Old 05-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Hopefully you can get the cable connected again before auto channel preset passes DTV 20...
One could inject an RF A/B switch to use as an on/off switch, facilitating quick "reconnecting" of the cable at the appropriate time.
Ken.F likes this.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #26464 of 26467 Old Today, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just made a tactical error: my old Sony HDD/DVD stopped working, so I ordered a new Magnavox from Walmart, and it's on its way. Then I got to wondering whether, like the Sony, the Magnavox lets you set different control codes for different units. Oops, no, it doesn't. As always, Wajo was right there with information! So now I'm exploring my options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

1. KLUGE (Kapturer of Latent User Guidance Energy)

Add a KLUGE over the sensor window of non-target unit(s).
I don't see any explanation of the goal of this option. If you just want to block the sensor window, why not use electrical tape? Is this supposed to block IR coming from a certain direction, and then you aim over or under it to control that particular DVR? Or is the idea that you have these on both DVRs and you get up and move one into position and one out of position each time you want to control the other DVR? Fortunately, I'll be using one DVR much more than the other, so if I do have to do this, it won't be the end of the world.

I also read about the NextGen RF controller and searched through the thread for comments from anyone who had tried it for this purpose (getting around the issue of having two Funai units). The closest I found was one posting about making sure that the IR sensor was covered. But it would already be covered by the IR attachment to the RF receiver, right?
post #26465 of 26467 Old Today, 01:07 PM
ALP

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
I just made a tactical error: my old Sony HDD/DVD stopped working, so I ordered a new Magnavox from Walmart, and it's on its way. Then I got to wondering whether, like the Sony, the Magnavox lets you set different control codes for different units. Oops, no, it doesn't. As always, Wajo was right there with information! So now I'm exploring my options...

I don't see any explanation of the goal of this option. If you just want to block the sensor window, why not use electrical tape? Is this supposed to block IR coming from a certain direction, and then you aim over or under it to control that particular DVR? Or is the idea that you have these on both DVRs and you get up and move one into position and one out of position each time you want to control the other DVR? Fortunately, I'll be using one DVR much more than the other, so if I do have to do this, it won't be the end of the world.

I also read about the NextGen RF controller and searched through the thread for comments from anyone who had tried it for this purpose (getting around the issue of having two Funai units). The closest I found was one posting about making sure that the IR sensor was covered. But it would already be covered by the IR attachment to the RF receiver, right?
The kluge works great for my setup. I have three Maggie DVR's in my main video system each sets on its own shelf. I have to halves of an old black VCR cassette cover that I can use to block any two of them while I program, edit, delete, etc on any given DVR of the three. Its simple, it cost me nothing and it works.

Tony Plachy
post #26466 of 26467 Old Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Your problem has been worked on since the beginning of two unit owners. Blocking the IR sensor when I had a 2160A and 515H was done by packing cardboard from something painted flat black on both sides and cut to size. Since the tray open button will turn on the Magnavox you need to plan for that. Even now I have two Blu-ray players and two TiVos in front of me. The Blu-ray gets the cardboard, the TiVo has device codes for their remotes to handle this issue. I'm not a Universal Remote person, so that's not a problem for me. Good luck.
post #26467 of 26467 Old Today, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Reminds me that I'm lucky to have my old 3576 and 2160A still going strong attached to an old tube TV for programming, recording, editing and dubbing (using the same Philips replacement remote no less, which has already far outlasted either of the original remotes)...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread