Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 892 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #26731 of 26738 Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Power over eSATA (eSATAp) with external 3.5" HDD?

My replies in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You do not have an eSATAp port on the magnavox.
You do not have an eSATA port either.

Understood, but the adapter cable creates an eSATAp port--such as in this post by gm2040

You are simply trying to move the internal HDD to outside the box.

Not quite. I'm trying to regularly switch among external 3.5" drives without needing to power up and power a docking station.

As to not wanting to buy 2.5" HDD's and not wanting to use an external PS, you may not have a choice if you go this route, depending on your model. The later magnvox units cheaped out on the internal power supplies and were not able to reliably power a 3.5" HDD so they were shipped with 2.5" drives. If your model is one of those you will need a dock with an external PS if you want to use 3.5" HDD's.

Not an issue. I have a 513
Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26732 of 26738 Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post
Hello all. I'm hoping one of you can clear-up some things for me please. I'm about to be "victimized" by Cox, again, with this all-digital and "mini-box" crap. Is my 2160A going to be yet another worthless POS?
@Clint
Just to add to what Joe has said. All your analog channels are going dark. What you are left with all hinges on whether or not your local digital channels (major networks) are gong to be encrypted or not. If they are maintained as clear QAM you will be able to continue using the magnavox digital tuner as you do now. If all your digital channels are encrypted then life ends as you know it -- you will have to compromise in some way and it will most probably cost you more.

To continue using the magnavox as a primary recorder, you will be in the position of having to use an STB to record anything. And if you want to be able to watch one channel while recording another you will have to rent a separate STB just for the magnavox.

You can rent a Cox DVR. Since the DVR takes the place of the current STB, it will only cost you the difference between it and renting a STB. You can then hook your magnavox to the DVR's composite output to capture those shows you want to archive to DVD.

You can buy a TiVo Roamio and not pay any monthly fees to Cox. Right now you can buy a TiVo-renewed Roamio Basic/lifetime for $300. You get 4-tuners to eliminate conflicts and an incredible feature set that includes whole-house capability to eliminate more Cox STB's with Mini's. You can hook your magnavox to its composite outputs to capture those shows you want to archive to DVD or just pull them over to your PC. The money you save by returning the STB can be used to pay for the cable card. This will be your cheapest option in the long run. If you are a heavy user of Cox on-demand this will be a problem with a TiVo -- you will either have to compromise or opt for the Cox DVR. The TiVo deal is a steal and will not last long -- normal price for a Roamio Basic/lifetime = $550.
JoeKustra and Clint S. like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26733 of 26738 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
What you are left with all hinges on whether or not your local digital channels (major networks) are gong to be encrypted or not.
All the information I've been able to read says Cox is going to encrypt everything. They just started distributing the mini boxes in my area but I don't think any of the analog channels have disappeared yet. The total encryption is supposed to happen at the end of the analog phase-out.

I cut the cord several years ago but I get to help a neighbor with the Cox changeover and they have a Maggie. I'm hoping to set it up with an OTA antenna when the clear QAM goes away.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26734 of 26738 Old Today, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I guess you are saying that ALL your channels will be encrypted.
Thanks again for replying. Well no, that's just it, I don't know if that will be the case, that's what I'm asking and trying to find out.

Quote:
OK, that happened to me also. I was offered a DTA for free.
I assume "DTA" is sort of like the mini-box?

Quote:
I knew ahead that the change was coming, so I checked the alternatives.
Yeah.....I didn't find out about this until a few days ago! So it's got me in a panic now.

Quote:
There are a few, with (at that time) the TiVo being one but expensive. I decided on a used small Tivo, and paid the $2.95/month for the cable card. I also upgraded my service to all HD.
TiVo or similar with a rented CableCARD used to be an option, until the Cox jerks disabled 2-way communication with their (rental-only) cards! So there's no On-Demand. What do you do about not having On-Demand? I've been debating on whether or not I really need it; with multi-tuners you're not likely to miss anything, but I probably still would and I HATE having to search for missed TV shows on the internet.

Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26735 of 26738 Old Today, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
@Clint
Just to add to what Joe has said. All your analog channels are going dark. What you are left with all hinges on whether or not your local digital channels (major networks) are gong to be encrypted or not. If they are maintained as clear QAM you will be able to continue using the magnavox digital tuner as you do now. If all your digital channels are encrypted then life ends as you know it -- you will have to compromise in some way and it will most probably cost you more.
Ok thanks for the info and clearing that up.

Quote:
To continue using the magnavox as a primary recorder, you will be in the position of having to use an STB to record anything. And if you want to be able to watch one channel while recording another you will have to rent a separate STB just for the magnavox.
Would this "mini-box" take the place of an additional STB? I still cannot find any info on these mini-boxes, if they will work in my case, not even whether or not they have a tuner, and if so, if their tuner MUST be used or can it just simply "decrypt" the channels.

Quote:
If you are a heavy user of Cox on-demand this will be a problem with a TiVo -- you will either have to compromise or opt for the Cox DVR. The TiVo deal is a steal and will not last long -- normal price for a Roamio Basic/lifetime = $550.
Yeah if I could get around the On-Demand issue I would have gone for a TiVo or similar. Aren't there "hacked" CableCARDS available somewhere that have the Tru2way enabled? Or MUST all cards come from Cox (in my case)?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26736 of 26738 Old Today, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post
All the information I've been able to read says Cox is going to encrypt everything. They just started distributing the mini boxes in my area but I don't think any of the analog channels have disappeared yet. The total encryption is supposed to happen at the end of the analog phase-out.
Thanks for the info. () So do you happen to know anything about the mini-boxes?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26737 of 26738 Old Today, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Thanks again for replying. Well no, that's just it, I don't know if that will be the case, that's what I'm asking and trying to find out.

I assume "DTA" is sort of like the mini-box?

TiVo or similar with a rented CableCARD used to be an option, until the Cox jerks disabled 2-way communication with their (rental-only) cards! So there's no On-Demand. What do you do about not having On-Demand? I've been debating on whether or not I really need it; with multi-tuners you're not likely to miss anything, but I probably still would and I HATE having to search for missed TV shows on the internet.

Thanks.
A DTA is a small box with limited functions. The problem is not all are the same. My cable company has information on theirs here. I have HD so I would use HDMI. This is for a TV that never does recording. The VOD is not important for me, so I don't miss it. It is, with one exception, not available on a TiVo. If it's important you may be forced to use the DVR supplied by your feed. I must add that many on-line services can be accessed by the TiVo. I favor Amazon Prime, but Netflix is the most popular. It is hard to miss a program with a TiVo to the point some have needed to add larger HDD to hold the content. With the latest series, that's pretty easy.

All cable cards are one-way. Two way is done by other circuits inside the STB. Signals can also be sent back to the cable company with a TA (Tuning Adapter) when your feed uses SDV, and via the internet but that is rare. You virtually must rent the card and prices vary. You only need one card for up to six tuners.

If you get a message from your feed indicating that a QAM television will no longer be able to view digital channels, then you are losing clear QAM and can start to panic. If it only says your analog channels are going away, there is still hope. My feed took the two step approach.
post #26738 of 26738 Unread Today, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Thanks for the info. () So do you happen to know anything about the mini-boxes?
A link to the Cox digital changeover page.

http://www.cox.com/residential/suppo...c-000000000000

There are links to a mini box user guide and mini box hardware guide.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page