Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 892 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #26731 of 26755 Old 08-27-2015, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Power over eSATA (eSATAp) with external 3.5" HDD?

My replies in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You do not have an eSATAp port on the magnavox.
You do not have an eSATA port either.

Understood, but the adapter cable creates an eSATAp port--such as in this post by gm2040

You are simply trying to move the internal HDD to outside the box.

Not quite. I'm trying to regularly switch among external 3.5" drives without needing to power up and power a docking station.

As to not wanting to buy 2.5" HDD's and not wanting to use an external PS, you may not have a choice if you go this route, depending on your model. The later magnvox units cheaped out on the internal power supplies and were not able to reliably power a 3.5" HDD so they were shipped with 2.5" drives. If your model is one of those you will need a dock with an external PS if you want to use 3.5" HDD's.

Not an issue. I have a 513
Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26732 of 26755 Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post
Hello all. I'm hoping one of you can clear-up some things for me please. I'm about to be "victimized" by Cox, again, with this all-digital and "mini-box" crap. Is my 2160A going to be yet another worthless POS?
@Clint
Just to add to what Joe has said. All your analog channels are going dark. What you are left with all hinges on whether or not your local digital channels (major networks) are gong to be encrypted or not. If they are maintained as clear QAM you will be able to continue using the magnavox digital tuner as you do now. If all your digital channels are encrypted then life ends as you know it -- you will have to compromise in some way and it will most probably cost you more.

To continue using the magnavox as a primary recorder, you will be in the position of having to use an STB to record anything. And if you want to be able to watch one channel while recording another you will have to rent a separate STB just for the magnavox.

You can rent a Cox DVR. Since the DVR takes the place of the current STB, it will only cost you the difference between it and renting a STB. You can then hook your magnavox to the DVR's composite output to capture those shows you want to archive to DVD.

You can buy a TiVo Roamio and not pay any monthly fees to Cox. Right now you can buy a TiVo-renewed Roamio Basic/lifetime for $300. You get 4-tuners to eliminate conflicts and an incredible feature set that includes whole-house capability to eliminate more Cox STB's with Mini's. You can hook your magnavox to its composite outputs to capture those shows you want to archive to DVD or just pull them over to your PC. The money you save by returning the STB can be used to pay for the cable card. This will be your cheapest option in the long run. If you are a heavy user of Cox on-demand this will be a problem with a TiVo -- you will either have to compromise or opt for the Cox DVR. The TiVo deal is a steal and will not last long -- normal price for a Roamio Basic/lifetime = $550.
JoeKustra and Clint S. like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26733 of 26755 Old 08-27-2015, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
What you are left with all hinges on whether or not your local digital channels (major networks) are gong to be encrypted or not.
All the information I've been able to read says Cox is going to encrypt everything. They just started distributing the mini boxes in my area but I don't think any of the analog channels have disappeared yet. The total encryption is supposed to happen at the end of the analog phase-out.

I cut the cord several years ago but I get to help a neighbor with the Cox changeover and they have a Maggie. I'm hoping to set it up with an OTA antenna when the clear QAM goes away.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26734 of 26755 Old 08-28-2015, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I guess you are saying that ALL your channels will be encrypted.
Thanks again for replying. Well no, that's just it, I don't know if that will be the case, that's what I'm asking and trying to find out.

Quote:
OK, that happened to me also. I was offered a DTA for free.
I assume "DTA" is sort of like the mini-box?

Quote:
I knew ahead that the change was coming, so I checked the alternatives.
Yeah.....I didn't find out about this until a few days ago! So it's got me in a panic now.

Quote:
There are a few, with (at that time) the TiVo being one but expensive. I decided on a used small Tivo, and paid the $2.95/month for the cable card. I also upgraded my service to all HD.
TiVo or similar with a rented CableCARD used to be an option, until the Cox jerks disabled 2-way communication with their (rental-only) cards! So there's no On-Demand. What do you do about not having On-Demand? I've been debating on whether or not I really need it; with multi-tuners you're not likely to miss anything, but I probably still would and I HATE having to search for missed TV shows on the internet.

Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26735 of 26755 Old 08-28-2015, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
@Clint
Just to add to what Joe has said. All your analog channels are going dark. What you are left with all hinges on whether or not your local digital channels (major networks) are gong to be encrypted or not. If they are maintained as clear QAM you will be able to continue using the magnavox digital tuner as you do now. If all your digital channels are encrypted then life ends as you know it -- you will have to compromise in some way and it will most probably cost you more.
Ok thanks for the info and clearing that up.

Quote:
To continue using the magnavox as a primary recorder, you will be in the position of having to use an STB to record anything. And if you want to be able to watch one channel while recording another you will have to rent a separate STB just for the magnavox.
Would this "mini-box" take the place of an additional STB? I still cannot find any info on these mini-boxes, if they will work in my case, not even whether or not they have a tuner, and if so, if their tuner MUST be used or can it just simply "decrypt" the channels.

Quote:
If you are a heavy user of Cox on-demand this will be a problem with a TiVo -- you will either have to compromise or opt for the Cox DVR. The TiVo deal is a steal and will not last long -- normal price for a Roamio Basic/lifetime = $550.
Yeah if I could get around the On-Demand issue I would have gone for a TiVo or similar. Aren't there "hacked" CableCARDS available somewhere that have the Tru2way enabled? Or MUST all cards come from Cox (in my case)?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26736 of 26755 Old 08-28-2015, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post
All the information I've been able to read says Cox is going to encrypt everything. They just started distributing the mini boxes in my area but I don't think any of the analog channels have disappeared yet. The total encryption is supposed to happen at the end of the analog phase-out.
Thanks for the info. () So do you happen to know anything about the mini-boxes?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26737 of 26755 Old 08-28-2015, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Thanks again for replying. Well no, that's just it, I don't know if that will be the case, that's what I'm asking and trying to find out.

I assume "DTA" is sort of like the mini-box?

TiVo or similar with a rented CableCARD used to be an option, until the Cox jerks disabled 2-way communication with their (rental-only) cards! So there's no On-Demand. What do you do about not having On-Demand? I've been debating on whether or not I really need it; with multi-tuners you're not likely to miss anything, but I probably still would and I HATE having to search for missed TV shows on the internet.

Thanks.
A DTA is a small box with limited functions. The problem is not all are the same. My cable company has information on theirs here. I have HD so I would use HDMI. This is for a TV that never does recording. The VOD is not important for me, so I don't miss it. It is, with one exception, not available on a TiVo. If it's important you may be forced to use the DVR supplied by your feed. I must add that many on-line services can be accessed by the TiVo. I favor Amazon Prime, but Netflix is the most popular. It is hard to miss a program with a TiVo to the point some have needed to add larger HDD to hold the content. With the latest series, that's pretty easy.

All cable cards are one-way. Two way is done by other circuits inside the STB. Signals can also be sent back to the cable company with a TA (Tuning Adapter) when your feed uses SDV, and via the internet but that is rare. You virtually must rent the card and prices vary. You only need one card for up to six tuners.

If you get a message from your feed indicating that a QAM television will no longer be able to view digital channels, then you are losing clear QAM and can start to panic. If it only says your analog channels are going away, there is still hope. My feed took the two step approach.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26738 of 26755 Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. () So do you happen to know anything about the mini-boxes?
A link to the Cox digital changeover page.

http://www.cox.com/residential/suppo...c-000000000000

There are links to a mini box user guide and mini box hardware guide.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26739 of 26755 Old 08-28-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I have Mediacom and use a DTA for my theater room. It's great PQ, but no guide data, and unfortunately only 2.0 sound Which wouldn't matter for these recorders anyway, right?
post #26740 of 26755 Old 08-28-2015, 09:59 PM

Liked: 15
Cox has already started to remove analog channels in my area, 5 channels were removed at the start of the month. I have a couple of the mini-boxes, they output to HDMI, or analog on channel 3 or 4. The analog output is a simple 4:3 crop, no letterboxing.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26741 of 26755 Old 08-28-2015, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A link to the Cox digital changeover page.

http://www.cox.com/residential/suppo...c-000000000000

There are links to a mini box user guide and mini box hardware guide.
Yeah I saw some of those pages, but I did not see that PDF for it, thanks!

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26742 of 26755 Old 08-29-2015, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
A DTA is a small box with limited functions. The problem is not all are the same. My cable company has information on theirs here.
That (DC60Xu) looks identical to the one Cox is using, except for the IR port on the rear of the one from Cox. http://media.cox.com/support/images/..._back_diag.png

I can still only assume that the mini-boxes have internal tuners. But I'm still unclear if its internal tuner MUST be used or if it can just simply be so-to-speak "bypassed" and used to only "decrypt" the channels. If its tuner must be used, then it won't be possible to use it to record anything more than one frickin' channel because there are apparently no "timer" settings on them that can change from one channel to another like the STB can! They appear to be the "poor man's version" of an STB, sort of like an STB with only basic cable channels and no timers.

Quote:
All cable cards are one-way. Two way is done by other circuits inside the STB. Signals can also be sent back to the cable company with a TA (Tuning Adapter) when your feed uses SDV, and via the internet but that is rare. You virtually must rent the card and prices vary. You only need one card for up to six tuners.
The information I saw said there are cards with "Tru2Way" technology Sony was one, I think Panasonic or Motorola was the other. I found this: http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized...ablecard-tech/

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26743 of 26755 Old 08-29-2015, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpl View Post
Cox has already started to remove analog channels in my area, 5 channels were removed at the start of the month. I have a couple of the mini-boxes, they output to HDMI, or analog on channel 3 or 4. The analog output is a simple 4:3 crop, no letterboxing.
Thanks for the info. (Bold) Well that sucks! The videos I saw on the mini-boxes showed them (the 16:9 content) letterboxed, and with the "Zoom" option to get rid of the black bars! They're pulling the same crap on their analog channels here from straight-from-the-wall cable by "zooming" in on them so you lose about a third of the picture! It used to be all of their (analog) channels were letterboxed, now there's only a handful left and the rest are "blown up". Here's one of them, see the video at bottom right, at the 1:10 mark: http://www.cox.com/all-digital/explore-all-digital.cox . Maybe it's only talking about HDMI and not the RF-out???

So with you, does their internal tuners have to be used, or is there some kind of "bypass"? Are there record timers on them that can automatically change channels? Thanks again.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26744 of 26755 Old 08-29-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I can still only assume that the mini-boxes have internal tuners. But I'm still unclear if its internal tuner MUST be used or if it can just simply be so-to-speak "bypassed" and used to only "decrypt" the channels.
The mini boxes have an internal tuner and it must be used.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26745 of 26755 Old 08-29-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Question Returning to TiVo?

Quote:
...You can buy a TiVo Roamio and not pay any monthly fees to Cox. Right now you can buy a TiVo-renewed Roamio Basic/lifetime for $300. You get 4-tuners to eliminate conflicts and an incredible feature set that includes whole-house capability to eliminate more Cox STB's with Mini's. You can hook your magnavox to its composite outputs to capture those shows you want to archive to DVD or just pull them over to your PC. The money you save by returning the STB can be used to pay for the cable card. This will be your cheapest option in the long run. If you are a heavy user of Cox on-demand this will be a problem with a TiVo -- you will either have to compromise or opt for the Cox DVR. The TiVo deal is a steal and will not last long -- normal price for a Roamio Basic/lifetime = $550.
Is the On-Demand problem strictly a Cox thing or does it apply to all On-Demand (i.e. Comcast, Cox, FiOS, Time-Warner, etc...)? I currently use On-Demand for conflicts, missed series premieres and specials, etc... and "FREE Premium Weekends" movies. No PAID Premium channels here.

I lost the Guide Data on my ReplayTVs when DNNA/ReplayTV declared bankruptcy on 07/21/15 and stopped providing it. I can restore Guide Data by subscribing to Schedules Direct and running WiRNS on an old PC 24x7. I used to run both a P4 2.4 GHz and a P3 933 MHz 24x7 for file serving and sharing but due to the shrinking ReplayTV community, powered them down a few years ago when I powered up an Intel E2200 running WMC. That PC took a PS hit during a storm and I went back to my ReplayTVs. Now, as of 07/08/15, WMC switched from, IIRC, Zap2It to Rovi for Guide Data and 356 posts later folks are still struggling to get things back the way they were.

Thus, the TiVo Roamio $300 refurb / $400 new deal is looking better and better. Sure, I can set up NextPVR w/Schedules Direct on a 24x7 PC, but, health-wise, I don't have the energy right now - maybe after my surgery, but not now. So, 4 tuners capable of either OTA or FiOS, almost turn-key (you need to get the cablecard and then set it up) sounds enticing. I visited the TiVo Community Roamio forum and read briefly about a free "Slide Remote" for the asking - is that the 'normal' TiVo remote on the top and a QWERTY keyboard on the bottom? Do you have one? I'm curious if it's worth the effort to pursue if the first CSR doesn't agree to it. Can the Roamio files be transferred to a PC, like you've discussed here many times for the TiVo model you own, and then played on a Media Streamer? 75 HD hours for CBS, NBC, ABC (that I currently MANUALLY record on 3 dedicated ReplayTVs) *AND* the non-premium cable channels (that I currently record from a FiOS 7100 HD STB through a Hauppauge PVR-1212 to a W7 laptop with overflow to a 3TB External USB HDD) will be tight until the warranty expires and I upgrade the original TiVo HDD. Do you have any thoughts on refurb vs new? Buying an extended warranty on the refurb?

Thanks in advance for your input.

P.S. Re the post title, before switching to the networked Lifetime ReplayTVs @ $150 each ~2005, back in the late 90s I bought a TiVo Series 1 w/Lifetime that I modified from 20GB to 80GB for a total cost of almost $1000 - still sitting here. Might help as loyalty for the remote.

UPDATE: After 6+ hours of research, I learned that VOD is NOT available and the "Slide Remote" has a QWERTY keyboard under the regular keyboard on the top (found it on Amazon). It was VERY difficult to find information about the wired ethernet port; only Amazon showed a picture of the rear of the unit and no where could I find the speed, even in the PDF of the manual. Is it 100 or 1000?

Vista WMC appears to need a 2008 TV Pack, which converts it to a Windows 7 Beta WMC, and thus DVR-MS files are no longer created for my old WD Plus streamer. Looks like NextPVR or MythTV w/Schedules Direct and Kodi are the direction to go with my existing SiliconDust tuners. At least I'll be able to create TS files, IIRC. I see that mdavej switched over so that's both sad (leaving WMC after all these years) and encouraging (recommending the current TiVo deal). More research another day...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...

Last edited by ClearToLand; 08-29-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Researching the past 6+ hours...
post #26746 of 26755 Old 08-29-2015, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The mini boxes have an internal tuner and it must be used.
Thanks, that clears up a lot.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26747 of 26755 Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
Is the On-Demand problem strictly a Cox thing or does it apply to all On-Demand (i.e. Comcast, Cox, FiOS, Time-Warner, etc...)? I currently use On-Demand for conflicts, missed series premieres and specials, etc... and "FREE Premium Weekends" movies. No PAID Premium channels here.
I believe it's all of them (unless the cable-co didn't disable it). See that link at the bottom of my post: Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26748 of 26755 Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

Quote:
So with you, does their internal tuners have to be used, or is there some kind of "bypass"? Are there record timers on them that can automatically change channels? Thanks again.
The box is very simple, no bypass. No record timers to let you change channels that I could find.
Settings menu has Parental Lock, Closed Captioning, Language, Power On Channel, Volume out - fixed or variable. It also has a program guide.

Good news, the Zoom button appears to change modes, and one setting appears to do an anamorphic squeeze so widescreen playback would get the full picture. Another zoom mode has a semi-letterbox - top and bottom bars, but still not full width.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26749 of 26755 Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The box is very simple, no bypass. No record timers to let you change channels that I could find.
Settings menu has Parental Lock, Closed Captioning, Language, Power On Channel, Volume out - fixed or variable. It also has a program guide.

Good news, the Zoom button appears to change modes, and one setting appears to do an anamorphic squeeze so widescreen playback would get the full picture. Another zoom mode has a semi-letterbox - top and bottom bars, but still not full width.
Ok thanks for the info. So is that only with the HDMI output or also RF? "Anamorphic squeeze", so the aspect ratio is all jacked?? There's no modes on it that maintain the correct geometry?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26750 of 26755 Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info. So is that only with the HDMI output or also RF? "Anamorphic squeeze", so the aspect ratio is all jacked?? There's no modes on it that maintain the correct geometry?
Those notes were regarding the RF output, checked on an analog 4:3 TV. With the anamorphic squeeze, you should be able to play back recordings done in this mode in full 16x9 on a widescreen TV, similar to the way the Mag records HD channels. I checked the zoom settings from the HDMI output (on a HD TV) and the only difference I noticed between them were one of the four modes applied the anamorphic squeeze, all others were identical full 16x9.
post #26751 of 26755 Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those notes were regarding the RF output, checked on an analog 4:3 TV. With the anamorphic squeeze, you should be able to play back recordings done in this mode in full 16x9 on a widescreen TV, similar to the way the Mag records HD channels.
So......you're telling me those idiots f**ked up the viewing, the watching, on 4:3 TV's?? And the only way to see the correct aspect ratio is have to hook up something like the Magnavox DVR and record it, so that it will playback properly?? Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26752 of 26755 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

For watching 16:9 content on a 4:3 set, the semi-letterbox zoom seems the best option, but still some of the sides are cropped. I see no way to get it to output the letterboxed full width 16:9 content that they had been providing on their analog feed.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26753 of 26755 Unread Today, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For watching 16:9 content on a 4:3 set, the semi-letterbox zoom seems the best option, but still some of the sides are cropped. I see no way to get it to output the letterboxed full width 16:9 content that they had been providing on their analog feed.
Ok, so with that option I see you said there are the bars at the top and bottom (as it used to be without any box), but you also said "....but still not full width." So does that means there's also bars at the left and right side, or it's horizontally squeezed so that everyone looks like Manute Bol, or the left and right edges are slightly "missing" off of the edges? If it's the last one, (which is ok and what I think you're saying), that's sort of how 16:9 is now on 4:3 TV's; it's letterboxed but I can sometimes notice on something like news channels the first letter or two of text at the bottom of the screen (and sometimes the last letter) is chopped off. Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26754 of 26755 Unread Today, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys, would this work in place of that mini-box? At first I thought it was only for OTA, but it also says: "Support AIR and Cable".
http://www.meritline.com/sunkey-sk-9...-p-117448.aspx
Rear image: http://images.meritline.com/images/p...0045230_4_.jpg

I'm guessing it won't thanks to Cox's encryption. ?

Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26755 of 26755 Unread Today, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Guys, would this work in place of that mini-box? At first I thought it was only for OTA, but it also says: "Support AIR and Cable".
http://www.meritline.com/sunkey-sk-9...-p-117448.aspx
Rear image: http://images.meritline.com/images/p...0045230_4_.jpg

I'm guessing it won't thanks to Cox's encryption. ?

Thanks.
Seems you are still speculating on encryption. How much will your cable feed be charging you for their box? The smallest box, not one with a DVR built-in. Have they given you a date for the conversion?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page