Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 893 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #26761 of 26769 Old 09-01-2015, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAP9 View Post
HI,
I am trying to upgrade the 160MB hard drive on my Magnavox H2160MW9 to 1TB Hard Drive.
I bought the drive (Western Digital 10EURX) and I installed it with ease.
Now my question is when I entered V-SKIP 079 and Press ENTER to START HDD Format
then the screen goes blank and the hard disk makes a few clicking sounds and then
the power seemed to go off and nothing shows up on the screen.

Am I doing something wrong such as this HD drive is too big for this model? But then
I also tried this 1TB drive on my other Magnavox 320MB MDR513H unit, but I got the same blank screen too.
Any ideas or suggestions why this is happening? I will appreciate any feedback.
The last step in upgrading HDDs is to select the HDD drive then press REC and record ~10 sec of anything. That sets up the HDD menus for use.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26762 of 26769 Old 09-01-2015, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
You had a link in one of your posts. That link will work only if you use the current default of thirty posts per page. That was the default since the current BBS software was installed several years ago. In a previous version the links were not dependent on that number, so that's why wajo has a note in his signature to use 30. That 30 was also done because this BBS gets very slow if you change the default to 40 or 50 posts per page. I use 40, so if I post a link, I modify the link to work without your default needing to be 30. There are a few options found in the User CP that can be changed.
Ohhhh, ok. All I did was right click that 'permlink' and get the shortcut then paste it in the post.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #26763 of 26769 Old 09-01-2015, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post
... or the left and right edges are slightly "missing" off of the edges? If it's the last one, (which is ok and what I think you're saying), that's sort of how 16:9 is now on 4:3 TV's; it's letterboxed but I can sometimes notice on something like news channels the first letter or two of text at the bottom of the screen (and sometimes the last letter) is chopped off.
Yes, that is what I am seeing, correct aspect ratio, but less cropping on the sides. One last note - those miniboxes run quite hot, don't stack anything on top of them.
Clint S. likes this.
post #26764 of 26769 Old 09-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAP9 View Post
HI,
I am trying to upgrade the 160MB hard drive on my Magnavox H2160MW9 to 1TB Hard Drive.
I bought the drive (Western Digital 10EURX) and I installed it with ease.
Now my question is when I entered V-SKIP 079 and Press ENTER to START HDD Format
then the screen goes blank and the hard disk makes a few clicking sounds and then
the power seemed to go off and nothing shows up on the screen.

Am I doing something wrong such as this HD drive is too big for this model? But then
I also tried this 1TB drive on my other Magnavox 320MB MDR513H unit, but I got the same blank screen too.
Any ideas or suggestions why this is happening? I will appreciate any feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
The last step in upgrading HDDs is to select the HDD drive then press REC and record ~10 sec of anything. That sets up the HDD menus for use.
Due to firmware limitations you are going to be limited to 500 MB on the 2160 and the 513.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #26765 of 26769 Old Yesterday, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpl View Post
Yes, that is what I am seeing, correct aspect ratio, but less cropping on the sides. One last note - those miniboxes run quite hot, don't stack anything on top of them.
Ok thanks......but I'm still not quite clear on "less cropping on the sides." I understand you're saying the AR is correct, but do you see the entire 16:9 content with some "black" on the left and right sides, or, are you saying a little bit of the left and right sides are missing, like I described? Thanks.

All, I found out some info from Cox:

They are encrypting everything, even the frickin' local channels!

The date of Sept. 7th I was given is just a "begin" date of when the change is going to start to "phase-in". She said there will be (if I remember the term correctly) "peel-back" areas, with certain channels vanishing (from straight-from-the-wall feeds) at a time. Then it will affect another area or zip code, etc., then another group of channels, etc., etc.

Further, you cannot go and get these mini-boxes until your area is affected!! WTF?? So as someone here described; it will indeed be a "mad dash" to the frickin' Cox offices!! So I was told I can't go get the two I need yet, I have to wait until the 7th!

(The purpose of them calling me was I "delightfully" filled out a "Survey" I was sent in an email regarding them allegedly phoning me, but they never once spoke to me! I only communicated with them via email). I was sure to put in my "lengthy diatribe" how I felt regarding what they are doing, and how they've "got everyone by the balls" regarding price increases, along with with my name, address, phone # and account #. I was told via email their *"Customer Loyalty Team" could try and keep my monthly bill (about $170) from getting much higher, which I also mentioned in the survey. (*Since we've been customers for over 40 years). I was shocked I got the call the next day (yesterday).

As it stands now, she said they'd give me one mini-box free for a year, and the 6-tuner Cisco (should be a 9865HDC) for about $18 more a month. (I'm confused on that since she said the DVR would only be $11.99, which I'll ask about when I call her back). Even at $18 more a month for the DVR, that's still a lot cheaper than the $28.50 I was originally quoted.

Buh-BYE 2160A.

So, somewhere around the 7th I'll be getting the mini-boxes and DVR. As I understand it (please correct me and clarify if I'm wrong), that 9865HDC is the same unit used for the Cox WHDVR, so I'm guessing it won't be much trouble to "convert" it to a WHDVR. I was told that no additional cable had to be run for a WHDVR setup, that the host WHDVR "communicates" with the other STB's ("clients") on the existing lines. I'm not sure how exactly that would be possible, but that's what I was told.

BTW, if anyone knows where I can find a 9865HDC manual, PLEASE let me know. I've been looking for over a week and all I can find is the QS Guide and datasheet. Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint

Last edited by Clint S.; Yesterday at 02:14 AM.
post #26766 of 26769 Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post
So, somewhere around the 7th I'll be getting the mini-boxes and DVR. As I understand it (please correct me and clarify if I'm wrong), that 9865HDC is the same unit used for the Cox WHDVR, so I'm guessing it won't be much trouble to "convert" it to a WHDVR. I was told that no additional cable had to be run for a WHDVR setup, that the host WHDVR "communicates" with the other STB's ("clients") on the existing lines. I'm not sure how exactly that would be possible, but that's what I was told.
They will communicate via MOCA which is Ethernet over coax protocol. All your room to room coax runs carrying the cable TV signal are linked to form a coax network through your house.

Now here is the caveat. A whole-house DVR only communicates with whole-house, MOCA-enabled STB's. Those are typically NOT mini-boxes but their full-feature STB's -- which, as you can guess, cost a lot more to rent per month.

I mentioned the following to you before, when you were just starting to figure out what was going to happen with Cox and your options:
Quote:
You can buy a TiVo Roamio and not pay any monthly fees to Cox. Right now you can buy a TiVo-renewed Roamio Basic/lifetime for $300. You get 4-tuners to eliminate conflicts and an incredible feature set that includes whole-house capability to eliminate more Cox STB's with Mini's. You can hook your magnavox to its composite outputs to capture those shows you want to archive to DVD or just pull them over to your PC. The money you save by returning the STB can be used to pay for the cable card. This will be your cheapest option in the long run. If you are a heavy user of Cox on-demand this will be a problem with a TiVo -- you will either have to compromise or opt for the Cox DVR. The TiVo deal is a steal and will not last long -- normal price for a Roamio Basic/lifetime = $550.
You don't need to use Cox equipment, just their cable card. Now that you know the direction Cox is taking you should put this back into your thinking and calculate your costs and pay-back period vs. paying Cox forever. Some cable companies actually give a credit for users with their own equipment -- you should check with Cox on that.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26767 of 26769 Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 213
It seems Cox is rolling out VOD across the country now. It may take a while, but it's a start. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=531534
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=531556

Just saw this at the end of the Cox lineup:
* Digital or HD channel included with service level noted; requires rental of digital receiver or CableCARDTM, except TV sets with Clear-QAM digital tuner may receive local broadcast channels without equipment rental.
I wonder if that will change soon?

Last edited by JoeKustra; Yesterday at 01:34 PM.
post #26768 of 26769 Old Today, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
It seems Cox is rolling out VOD across the country now. It may take a while, but it's a start. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=531534
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=531556
Are you saying, or are they saying, that VOD is going to work now with rented CableCARD's?

Quote:
Just saw this at the end of the Cox lineup:
* Digital or HD channel included with service level noted; requires rental of digital receiver or CableCARDTM, except TV sets with Clear-QAM digital tuner may receive local broadcast channels without equipment rental.
I wonder if that will change soon?
Like I mentioned in that long post above, they told me all channels would be encrypted, even local!

God Bless,
-Clint

Last edited by Clint S.; Today at 02:04 AM.
post #26769 of 26769 Old Today, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
They will communicate via MOCA which is Ethernet over coax protocol. All your room to room coax runs carrying the cable TV signal are linked to form a coax network through your house.
Ok.....fascinating.

Quote:
Now here is the caveat. A whole-house DVR only communicates with whole-house, MOCA-enabled STB's. Those are typically NOT mini-boxes but their full-feature STB's -- which, as you can guess, cost a lot more to rent per month.
Yeah I knew that, there's only one other area that would need to access the host, and it already has a full STB.

Quote:
I mentioned the following to you before, when you were just starting to figure out what was going to happen with Cox and your options:
Quote:
You can buy a TiVo Roamio and not pay any monthly fees to Cox. Right now you can buy a TiVo-renewed Roamio Basic/lifetime for $300. You get 4-tuners to eliminate conflicts and an incredible feature set that includes whole-house capability to eliminate more Cox STB's with Mini's. You can hook your magnavox to its composite outputs to capture those shows you want to archive to DVD or just pull them over to your PC. The money you save by returning the STB can be used to pay for the cable card. This will be your cheapest option in the long run. If you are a heavy user of Cox on-demand this will be a problem with a TiVo -- you will either have to compromise or opt for the Cox DVR. The TiVo deal is a steal and will not last long -- normal price for a Roamio Basic/lifetime = $550.
You don't need to use Cox equipment, just their cable card. Now that you know the direction Cox is taking you should put this back into your thinking and calculate your costs and pay-back period vs. paying Cox forever. Some cable companies actually give a credit for users with their own equipment -- you should check with Cox on that.
Right, I saw that and replied to it when I saw it. That WAS an option, but then I found out they disabled two-way on their rented CableCARD's so that On-Demand wouldn't work! So that's no longer an option and I'm forced to get their DVR, one from them.

God Bless,
-Clint
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread