Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 901 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #27001 of 27002 Old Today, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Originally Posted by mrisso256 View Post
If there is a DVR that I can buy and not pay some monthly charge to the DVR company, I really want to know what it is.

TWC will lease a cable card for a very reasonable mothly fee. If all I have to do is buy the DVR with a 4TB hard drive in it and plug in the TWC cable card (I'm actually paying TWC for the encryption key more than the hardware) I'm fine with that.

But I haven't found this DVR unless your referring to a DVR that I have to pay a monthly fee to the DVR company on top of the monthly fee that I have to pay TWC.
All the answers have been given to you in the posts above, so perhaps we can summarize and boil it down so the same stuff is not repeated endlessly.

If TWC locks down everything and you need to use a cable card to tune in all the channels you are paying for, you have 3 choices:

1. rent the cable company DVR for a monthly fee
  2. buy a TiVo Bolt -- $150/yr on top of the monthly cable card rental fee
  3. build a HTPC running Win-7 and Windows Media Center and add a cable card tuner (Ceton Echo or HDHomerun Prime) -- pay only the monthly cable card rental fee

These are your only cable card choices. You missed the $300 TiVo Roamio Basic (refurb) + lifetime (no monthly fees) deal that went on this summer -- they're all gone. The current $300 offer is for the OTA-only model -- useless for you.

If you reject all of the above cable card solutions, your only other choice is to use a fuani/magnavox recorder to pick up any clear QAM channels that TWC may leave behind (probably HSN) and a cable box feeding the analog input on the recorder to pick up the rest which are encrypted. If you are contemplating buying a new funai/magnavox, get the newer 867 with 2-tuners and 1TB HDD (1000 hr recording capacity claimed, using the lowest recording mode) for the same price as an 1-tuner 557. Going this route means a lot of care and feeding on your part to manage the recordings -- but there is no monthly fee.
CitiBear and srvctec like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; Today at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #27002 of 27002 Unread Today, 07:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to mrisso256
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You may have missed a key piece of his info above -- they are using a 21" CRT to watch TV. They record in the lowest quality 6hr mode because the higher modes don't look that much better to them on that set. HD is meaningless to them. He apparently has no desire to update the TV until it dies and simply wants to maintain his status quo in the face of TWC's moves to do otherwise. A cable box on his current funai recorders is the direction he is headed to go along with any clear-QAM channels TWC may leave behind.
Amen! Actually, I live in an apartment and the apartment owner has a TWC bulk account so right now, I pay nothing for TWC 70 channel analog completely legally. And my two Mags work perfectly for a total of 1,500 hours of record time. And I would like to keep it that way. So I'm trying to find the best way to do this. I'm not looking to upgrade to HD. I had 4 unencrypted QAM channels but they are gone now or I lost them by changing my setup. So I'm not betting on any unencrypted QAM channels after encryprion Armageddon.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread