Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 905 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 116Likes
post #27121 of 27133 Old 01-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 35
An active HDMI splitter coupled to an HDMI-to-composite converter would preserve HD directly to the TV plus provide input to the Mag.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27122 of 27133 Old 01-24-2016, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moghedien14 View Post
The Directv guide will either display in HD or SD resolution, but not at same time. So if you try to access the guide thru the Maggie, you will get an error message if you have setup the receiver for HD. To get around this limitation, I used a Component/Composite converter($50 at Monoprice) between the Directv receiver and the Maggie. If you go this route, make sure you get the Component adapter cable that plugs into the "A/V OUT" on the back of the receiver.
This the one?
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9994

Not sure what all I'm accomplishing with it. It's got all sorts of input options, but only HDMI out - something the Maggie is lacking.

If the DirecTV receiver can only output HD or SD, and not both, what I'd need is a box that can give me HD output to the screen, and SD to the Maggie? From there, I do all my surfing from the TV, and just record programs on the Maggie ...

I think ... <G>

PS ... My Samsung Series 7 screen has optical out for audio. Not sure what difference that makes ... just sayin' ...

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #27123 of 27133 Old 01-24-2016, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post
This the one?

Not sure what all I'm accomplishing with it. It's got all sorts of input options, but only HDMI out - something the Maggie is lacking.

If the DirecTV receiver can only output HD or SD, and not both, what I'd need is a box that can give me HD output to the screen, and SD to the Maggie? From there, I do all my surfing from the TV, and just record programs on the Maggie ...

I think ... <G>

PS ... My Samsung Series 7 screen has optical out for audio. Not sure what difference that makes ... just sayin' ...
A DirecTV HD receiver will not output HD and SD simultaneously. With both HDMI and YWR RCA connected to a recorder, it'll throw up a message saying it has to reset to SD, so your TV watching via HDMI will be in SD as well. You'll have to "fool it" via one of the options being discussed?
post #27124 of 27133 Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
This the one?

I think ... <G>

This is the converter I used:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=7114

All the Directv receiver outputs are active; it's the Directv menus and overlays the receiver produces will give you an error message, not the programming itself.
post #27125 of 27133 Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghedien14 View Post
This is the converter I used:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=7114

All the Directv receiver outputs are active; it's the Directv menus and overlays the receiver produces will give you an error message, not the programming itself.
Unless I'm missing something here (which is totally possible) ...

From what I'm hearing, if the only problem is the guide and menus, I should be able to set the DirecTV receiver to output HD to the TV via HDMI and still get SD output via video/audio out to the Maggie. If that's correct, I should be able to record timed events to the Maggie, Only problem SHOULD be if the DirecTV box generates any popups or overlays when it switches to a timed program. Not sure about that. Probably be a problem if the box flashes a timer icon or whatever ...

Anyway, just to make sure we're on the same page, here's the jack panels for both:

I figure route the video/audio out from the receiver to the video/audio in on the Maggie. Don't see how the component to composite box you linked would be helpful (or necessary) here.

PS ... worse comes to worse, I actually prefer the SD resolution to HD for most anything but sports ... but it'd be nice to watch my Spartans on B10 in all their HD glory. <G>

post #27126 of 27133 Old 01-24-2016, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post
Ok thanks I'll read that. And, "legacykeeper":

The Cisco 9865HDC (6-tuner) that Cox supplies is A PIECE OF SH!T. Nothing but problems! RARELY EVER works! I'm forced to record everything twice (cable) but of course with network TV the shows air only once and when it misses those, you're screwed and have to *spend countless hours trying to find the SOB's on the 'net where you can download them, then I have to watch them on my tablet.* When you try and watch the recordings, it's: "DVR Network Unavailable" (WTF does a "network" have to do with anything when it's the only DVR/STB being used??), OR some "Sorry....." screen that gives other irrelevant non sequitur BS about it not being able to play, OR, a totally blank black screen where no controls work! Or, then it also just refuses to record and shows up under "Missed Recordings" with false BS like "Recording failed because it conflicted with another high.", and that's it! Nothing after the "high.", no way to see more! And sometimes nothing else is being recorded at that time!

So now everything that it does manage to "miraculously" record properly, I have to record to my 2160A to try and keep the POS empty so I can return it. I'm still able to record major network shows to my 2160A, but I know that's not going to last for long. Like last night, I recorded one prime-time network show to my 2160A, but there were also 3 other network shows that I had to record to the Cisco that were on on the same time, and of course it BOTCHED the frickin' pilot episode of that new CW show, "DC Legends of Tomorrow".

Its issues don't end there! Colors keep "flashing", going back and forth from a mostly green-shift to mostly red, and even flashing from color to B&W!! Sometimes fast-forward doesn't even work!

*Oh, and when it won't record shows, On-Demand is another debacle: You can't record it with the Cisco, "Record" is DISABLED! Furthermore, those evil a$$holes somehow DISABLE the 2160A's ability to record from the Cisco's On-Demand area!! It will start to record as usual, then some strange "Error" screen will pop-up that I've never seen before and say something like "This program will not allow it to be recorded". !!!! So if you don't mind sitting through ONE-THIRD to ONE HALF of your life WASTED with commercials because they also disable fast-forward, and if the programs eventually show up On-Demand, you can watch them there, but again, only "watch" real-time.

The horrors of satan-spawned Cox don't end there either: Recently we were without NBC for TWO WEEKS because of a "dispute" with Cox and the local NBC affiliate. So the Facebook comments were already horrific enough with their evil should-be-illegal all-encryption bullschitt, they have been and luckily still are getting POUNDED over that, and people leaving because of it, but those remaining "on-the-fence" left after NBC was dropped for the two weeks! I, and countless others, hope this is THE END FOR THEM.

They disable our equipment that we've used for many years rendering it useless thanks to encryption, then they extort us into using their schitty equipment that doesn't even work, and then raise our bills in the frickin' process! Their CEO/BoD should be JAILED....at the least. And the social media rants echo these sentiments, I'm most happy to say and see.
I see your experience with the Cisco 9865HDC is even worse than mine (occasionally totally unusable until power cycling multiple time). Looking at going to Tivo, or HDHomeRun with HTPC.
post #27127 of 27133 Old 01-25-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something here (which is totally possible) ...

Anyway, just to make sure we're on the same page, here's the jack panels for both:

<G>
The H25 receiver uses this dongle to connect compoent cables:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...nent%20adapter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H2510PIN_1_zoom.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1209138  
post #27128 of 27133 Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 AM

OK then, I use this DirecTV H24 receiver ...

With this DirecTV H2510PINadapter cable ...

Plugged into this Monoprice LKV 7611 adapter ...

Plugged into the Maggie 537 via ... S Video IN?

Looks like I'd also have to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter for audio out from the LKV 7611 to the Maggie? Shame they didn't just use RCA out there ...

AND

Still be able to direct connect the DirecTV receiver to the flat screen via HDMI, final result being an HD signal for viewing, AND an SD signal for recording, without the overlay issues?

(Whew ... you DO have to be a rocket scientist to work this stuff!) <G>

Last edited by NOSTRADIMWIT; 01-25-2016 at 10:58 AM.
post #27129 of 27133 Old 01-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
OK then, I use this DirecTV H24 receiver ...

Plugged into the Maggie 537 via ... S Video IN?

Looks like I'd also have to get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter for audio out from the LKV 7611 to the Maggie? Shame they didn't just use RCA out there ... You don't have to run the audio through the converter...

AND

Still be able to direct connect the DirecTV receiver to the flat screen via HDMI, final result being an HD signal for viewing, AND an SD signal for recording, without the overlay issues?

(Whew ... you DO have to be a rocket scientist to work this stuff!) <G>
I got the DVD recorder long before Directv started do any of this stuff; if I was looking into it now I wouldn't bother.
post #27130 of 27133 Old 02-03-2016, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie channel questions

Hey folks, I just got a 557, tired of cheap boxes. I'm just using it as a air digital decoder and record to HD. Also hoped it would pull channels better. I only get over the air and weak at that. A good directional antenna but without an amplifier I get 1 ch. With the amp I get a half dozen. I have some basic questions.

How to get the external inputs off of the channel rotation with the channel btn. There are 3 ext inputs, none have anything in them, it pauses at each to try to detect. Makes rotating thru channel real slow.

Likewise extra sub channels. 10.3 is standard def and 10.4 is HDef of the same thing. My signals are too weak to bother with HDef. I'd like it to step to 10.3, skip 10.4, and on to the next.

At least 10 separates them by number. 45.1 is SD, then 45.1 again is HD, then 45.2 is SD of the next feed and 45.2 again is HD. I have no idea how to select those other than just to step through them. On my old dumb decoder it would list 45.2 SD and 45.2 HD as separate and I could add or remove specific ones as wanted.

Also on every channel change it "scans" and delays to do that. Really? Does it have to do some kind of scanning every time?

I've read the manual and experimented. Haven't figured this out.

I thought I understood all over the air is digital. When I use the DTV/TV btn and go to DTV the channel scan finds nothing. On TV it finds my half dozen and some have subchannels. So TV seems to be digital. So what is DTV?

Hope I'm putting these questions in the right place.

Thanks.
post #27131 of 27133 Old 02-04-2016, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 122
@Njem - If I understand correctly, you want to delete subchannels so they don't appear when you use Ch +/-.
The short answer is that it can't be done. Only the main channel number can be removed, not subs individually... unless the 557 made a change to the tuner.
That and the tuner IS slow at tuning. More so than more modern tuners.

Btw, I wanted to report something that made me happy again with my Philips 3576.
I bought a new TV about a week ago, a Sony X850C. The biggest drawback to these DVRs is that anything recorded off the digital tuner has some awful black level crushing. (At least the first few generations.)
While my previous TV couldn't do much beyond making the blacks more grey to compensate, my new TV was able to go further.

I copied my regular picture settings to a second profile. In this case, I watch DVDs and most other things with the TV's 'Custom' profile, which I made a copy of to the 'Standard' profile as well. I then made two changes: "Black Level" was bumped from the normal 50 to 65 and the Gamma from 0 to Max. The former pulls nearly all the lost detail out of the shadows and the latter removes the dullness caused by raising the black levels so much.

It may not be 100% perfect, but I'm stunned that the image could be improved this dramatically. Of course you'll need to swap picture profile depending on what you're watching and YMMV. Every TV will have different abilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibrated.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	1231105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tweaked.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	1231113  
artisticimaging likes this.

Last edited by DoctorM; Yesterday at 05:45 PM.
post #27132 of 27133 Unread Today, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mag 513

Hello everybody. It has been awhile since I have been here. With the forums help I found replacements for my aging VCR's. Hope I am not off topic, but I have a question. It is about the magnavox recorders. I have a program I want to record. It is available OTA. I unhooked my cable from the recorder and hooked up a OTA antenna. Scanned the channels and did a test record. I went to the listings where the thumbnail is and clicked on it. It indicated I could not dub to DVD. I thought OTA could be dubbed after it is recorded. Any help would be appreciated.
post #27133 of 27133 Unread Today, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitjoc View Post
I went to the listings where the thumbnail is and clicked on it. It indicated I could not dub to DVD. I thought OTA could be dubbed after it is recorded. Any help would be appreciated.
Check your recording schedule. If you have any timer recordings that will begin within an hour the dubbing function will be locked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page