Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 910 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 134Likes
post #27271 of 27298 Old 06-24-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
This forum is acting weird. The last post in this thread was yesterday by matonanjin but I can't see it, and I can't mark the thread read so my subscription notice goes away.

Edit: Nevermind. After I posted I can see the latest posts now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27272 of 27298 Old 06-24-2016, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
This forum is acting weird. The last post in this thread was yesterday by matonanjin but I can't see it, and I can't mark the thread read so my subscription notice goes away.

Edit: Nevermind. After I posted I can see the latest posts now.
No the forum is still acting weird. I could not see my own post until you posted. (And it was a brilliant post; I wanted to see it). I just changed my password. I thought maybe it had something to do with that fiasco.

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #27273 of 27298 Old 06-24-2016, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
I just changed my password. I thought maybe it had something to do with that fiasco.
Tell me about it. I can't believe that AVS forum now insists on a password more complex than my bank requires.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #27274 of 27298 Old 06-24-2016, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
CC, I have not recorded from OTA but I have, like many I suspect, downloaded YT videos of concerts or songs I like and ripped the audio. I have occasionally, rarely is probably a better word, recorded onto my 533 from my DirectTV PVR (some concert on AXS or Palladia) and then burned that to a DVD and then ripped it.

But in either case you end up with a video file. And what I use to convert the mp4 to mp3 is WinX Video Converter Deluxe. The name would imply that it is just for converting video but you can load any video into it and then just tell it to save as an mp3. Fast and clean and easy. It was only something like $30. I have VLC and love it for playing videos. But I found conversions in it very clunky and it seemed like I could never get back to where I needed to be in menu structure to do it.
I suggest using freeware program "Audacity". It has a wide selection of filter plug-ins that can be used to clean up audio. In particular I use one that does replay-gain analysis and then sets the volume level appropriately. You can use the "lame" mp3 encoder.

scott s.
post #27275 of 27298 Old 06-24-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't been here in a while and need some information. There's a lot to read here.

What's the deal with the new Magnavox DVD recorders with HDD?

Do they have Play List editing & regular editing on the HDD?

Can thumbnails be chosen(by the user) for DVD menus?
post #27276 of 27298 Old 06-24-2016, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
I haven't been here in a while and need some information. There's a lot to read here.

1) What's the deal with the new Magnavox DVD recorders with HDD?

2) Do they have Play List editing & regular editing on the HDD?

3) Can thumbnails be chosen(by the user) for DVD menus?
1) Rebecca did a nice Pro/con of the new recorders here.
2) Edit the titles? I'm not sure what you mean but I think "Yes"
3) No

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #27277 of 27298 Old 06-24-2016, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
1) Rebecca did a nice Pro/con of the new recorders here.
2) Edit the titles? I'm not sure what you mean but I think "Yes"
3) No
Thanks for the link!
post #27278 of 27298 Old 06-26-2016, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
STOOPID QUESTION OF THE DAY

Just got off the phone with DISH ... they had a free offer for an OTA antenna for a local channel I lost due to the little litigators at Tribune Broadcasting wanting more money that DISH refuses to pay.

While talking, we also discussed upgrading my SD receiver to HD ... last time I tried, they wanted me to pay for installation AND commit to another two years. This time, I get free equipment and installation. Wahoo!

Now to the stoopid question. I know my Maggie only records in SD (no problem with that), but will I be able to VIEW the HD channels in all their 1080p digital glory?

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #27279 of 27298 Old 06-26-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1986 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post
STOOPID QUESTION OF THE DAYNow to the stoopid question. I know my Maggie only records in SD (no problem with that), but will I be able to VIEW the HD channels in all their 1080p digital glory?
Not on the Maggie, only on the Dish box itself.

If you split the antenna to both your Dish box (you also need some sort of OTA USB tuner for Dish typically, so I hope you got one of those as well) and to your Maggie, you'll at least get OTA in HD using Maggie's own tuner (assuming your model has one).

What model receiver did they offer you - Wally, 222 or 211 or older?

No interest in a DVR from Dish? That way you really would get everything in HD.

What you should have asked for is a 211k. That gives you a FREE DVR with full HD. No DVR fees on that model.

I can't remember which models have OTA bulit in and which require a tuner module. It's been a while since I last had Dish. I even used a DVD recorder like you until I discovered the 211k.

Last edited by mdavej; 06-26-2016 at 12:11 PM.
post #27280 of 27298 Old 06-26-2016, 02:56 PM

STOOPID QUESTION PART II

OK then, I'd need to hook the Dish receiver directly to the tv for HD viewing. Do that via HDMI, and still attach the Maggie 537 via S-video and analog sound. Hopefully, all outputs are live simultaneously?

Not concerned about OTA as that's covered with the flat screen's tuner. And from the looks of things, the only receivers. From the looks of things, the 211k is their base model NON-DVR model. I assUme that's what I'll get.

PS ... I have no issues with SD picture quality as I'm only using a 46" set. Main thing I'd like to see gone is the black bands ... those seem to get bigger all the time. I assUme in this case, the Maggie will "see" the HD signal and downconvert it to SD on the fly, which should eliminate the bands and give me full screen?

post #27281 of 27298 Old 06-26-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Every 211k has hidden DVR functionality for free. Just hook up an external hard drive. They do charge a one time $40 fee to activate it. But you'd be crazy not to do it. Do your OTA recording with it as well.

Don't assume you'll get the old 211k. The Wally is the latest base non-DVR. It can't be a DVR like the 211. It's definitely worth pursuing.

As for the other connections, sorry, I don't remember. It's been a long time. Wally probably has fewer analog outs than the 211.
post #27282 of 27298 Old 06-26-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Every 211k has hidden DVR functionality for free. Just hook up an external hard drive. They do charge a one time $40 fee to activate it. But you'd be crazy not to do it. Do your OTA recording with it as well.

Don't assume you'll get the old 211k. The Wally is the latest base non-DVR. It can't be a DVR like the 211. It's definitely worth pursuing.

As for the other connections, sorry, I don't remember. It's been a long time. Wally probably has fewer analog outs than the 211.
Already told them I needed the S Video out for a quick swap into my current setup, and the Wally doesn't have that. I'll have to talk with the service guy before he gets going and see if there's a Plan B available. I figure they've probably got some of everything in the truck.

As far as DVR goes, I've already got the Maggie set up for an external hard drive (eSATA) and a couple gigs of movies. Figure to stick with what I know if I can get the rest working right.

NOTE >> Looks like the Wally accepts an external USB drive as well, so that's also DVR capable. Kewl!

https://www.mydish.com/support/use-ehd

UPDATE >>

Dish guy come and gone. I did get a 211, but ... gotta watch those letters. Mine's a 211z which doesn't have the S video out. Ended up using component to feed the Maggie, and as suspected, that's SD only for both viewing and recording. In any case, I understand that component video is a step up from S Video anyway - better color definition? I did a dual feed with HDMI out direct to the flatscreen and the Dish receiver DOES keep all the outputs live so I can record to or watch SD on the Maggie AND watch the HD feed on the flatscreen at the same time.

(And yes, this one is still DVR capable with an external drive. Have to ponder that for standard watch it when you want to stuff, but I expect I'll still save movies to SD with the Maggie.

Last edited by NOSTRADIMWIT; 06-27-2016 at 01:23 PM.
post #27283 of 27298 Old 07-04-2016, 06:31 PM

Well ... one step forward, two steps back. Got the 211Z installed (along with an antenna swap for the HD triple LNB version) and diggin' the HD goodness. But ...

Went to view a couple timer events on the Maggie, and got ...

Connection does not support DIGITAL CONTENT PROTECTION

Got six hours of that nonsense trying to catch an X-Files marathon on SciFi ... ditto for a bunch of old Twilight Zone. Crap! Seems to only be a problem on the HD channels and not the SD feeds (which there's still quite a few of apparently.). Any way around this? The Dish receiver is hooked up to the Maggie's front panel jacks using the composite video and sound. That gives me SD, and the Dish receiver is also hooked up directly to the flat screen via HDMI. I can switch between the two using the flat screen's remote.I did order a WD Passport 2 gig USB hard drive, and I guess I'll have the option of trying the DVR function on the Dish 211Z after coughing up the $40 to activate the feature. Still be nice to be able to record anything on the Maggie as I was able to with the 301 (SD) receiver.The USB drive won't go to waste if I find out I don't need it for the DVR thing as it'll be handy backup device for my audio server ...

post #27284 of 27298 Old 07-14-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You'd have to disconnect the HDMI completely to get rid of that message.

$40 for the Dish DVR function is a no-brainer. So much easier and better than analog SD to the Maggie. Record straight from the guide with the touch of a button, no timers, no SD, no cables, no disconnecting HDMI to make it work. Skip a couple of lunches/dinners out if you have to. It's well worth the money.
BIGA$$TV and rdgcss like this.
post #27285 of 27298 Old 07-15-2016, 10:38 AM

UPDATE

Found a 211k (factory refurbished) on Amazon and swapped that in. Effortless DIY - just call in with the new receiver and smart card numbers after letting the wizard run - and I was assured there'd be no additional charge as the 211z wasn't what I wanted in the first place. I also heard there'd be no monthly equipment charges, and to call in if any showed up from some automated billing monster with a mind of it's own. Guess I'll find out soon enough when I get the bill. Dish did send me a prepaid return kit for the 211z, so that should clear any charges on that.And yes, I was able to get around the DCP issue by using the component out on the 211k to the flat screen, and S video out to the Maggie. No more HDMI connection, no more messages or lockouts. Wahoo! Pretty much back to where I was.

Still scratching my head on some audio issues, as everything now plays through the Onkyo AVR except for OTA channels using the flat screen's antenna tuner. I have to turn the AVR off and use the flat screen's speakers for that. The DISH OTA tuner sucks ... misses a whole bunch of channels that the Samsung catches. Things would sure be simpler if the Dish OTA tuner could catch ALL the locals OR allow me to manually add channels that I might have to turn the antenna to catch. Any ideas there?

(The flat screen does have optical audio out, and I did find another optical cable in the stash. I'll try hooking that up to direct to the AVR later and figure I should be able to switch that in when watching OTA.)

Also, I do expect I'll try the $40 DVR feature on the 211k, but I hear that anything you record goes away after 90 days? I do a LOT of time shifting and catch movies and such when they're available, and I see that as a problem. I understand they're standard MPEG, so I could copy them to another drive, but wonder if the time limit follows? As mentioned, I do prefer long term storage in SD anyway, as it saves a whole bunch of disk space.

Plan is to hook up a 2gb WD Passport via a powered USB hub. Already got a couple of those left over from another project, so all I need is the hub.

PS ... one bummer ... I expected to be able to do the Dish On Demand thing using the USB drive, but apparently that's not available on the 211 series receivers? No biggie if I can't (just use the Samsung's smart hub instead), but maybe I'm missing something here.

Last edited by NOSTRADIMWIT; 07-15-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #27286 of 27298 Old 07-15-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
UPDATE

Plan is to hook up a 2gb WD Passport via a powered USB hub. Already got a couple of those left over from another project, so all I need is the hub.
2TB? I've heard that some portable drives work fine for backup but aren't so good for high-volume applications?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #27287 of 27298 Old 07-15-2016, 02:14 PM

Manual lists a 2tb limit. Only restriction is it HAS to be a USB2 drive OR self powered. - USB3 drives draw more power than the Dish receiver can supply. That's where the powered hub comes it, and there's a lot of folk that use that setup.

Heck, I'd plug a 4tb drive in if the receiver didn't have a hard limit - they don't cost much more. Same thing with the Maggie ... that limits out at 1tb. I know that's true because I tried plugging a 2tb drive into that and it formatted it to 1tb. Not a biggie there, as I've converted the 537 to use an external drive dock and am now working on filling up drive #3. Just power down, swap drives in the dock, and power up again. Works slick. Got plenty of reserve, as I scored a real deal on half a dozen drives identical to those that Magnavox used.

post #27288 of 27298 Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
... I hear that anything you record goes away after 90 days?...

PS ... one bummer ... I expected to be able to do the Dish On Demand thing using the USB drive, but apparently that's not available on the 211 series receivers? No biggie if I can't (just use the Samsung's smart hub instead), but maybe I'm missing something here.
I used a 211 as a DVR for a couple of years with just a regular HDD in a cheap powered enclosure. Never noticed any recordings spontaneously disappearing after 90 days. But they could have changed the rules since then.

I don't recall how/if OnDemand worked either. Never saw anything on it worth watching anyway.

Sounds like you're mostly back in business anyway.
post #27289 of 27298 Old 07-20-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Replacement batteries for NextGen RF Xmtr

This is tangential to Magnavox PVRs, but people here suggested that I get a NextGen RF transmitter to control my second Magnavox, since the PVRs don't have different IR codes available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
(re replacing the NextGen batteries)
Haven't had that happen yet. They sent me at least two, and I just rotate them. It's been at least two years, if not longer.
Well, I've had the NextGen unit for a year now, and the first battery ran out. So I put it in the recharger and installed the spare that had been sitting in the recharger for a year. It's nearly dead. For all I know, it may have been dead when I first got the unit--or else the charging circuit did something bad to it.

NextGen itself sells replacement batteries:

https://smile.amazon.com/NextGen-Rechargeable-Battery-RF-Transmitters/dp/B000GE22JW/

But I also see what appears to be the same size battery on Amazon available in a four-pack for a lot less:

https://smile.amazon.com/Alpine-SLA3...dp/B00XC8A8CW/

Any reason I shouldn't get the cheaper ones?
post #27290 of 27298 Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Any 2/3 AAA should work fine. But I'd try to find a NiMH type instead of NiCad due to capacity and memory affect, similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-SANIK-i...-/320952347690

My biggest concern would be if the plastic label would make a 3rd party battery too big to fit. You may have to peel that off. The Next Gen battery has no label, probably for that reason.
post #27291 of 27298 Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 210
NiCad also has a fairly fast self discharge rate making their use in something like a remote not such a good fit.
IMO Li batteries are the best fit for remotes as they have an extremely slow discharge rate and will last for 10+ years with very minimal discharge. Not saying your going to get 10 years in your remote but with no draw they will last that long.
post #27292 of 27298 Old 07-22-2016, 08:09 AM

Well that's lovely--I just spent three minutes typing a response and the system didn't post it because "the token has expired." :-( Plus it lost all my text in the process.

Basically...thanks to both of you. I'll be sure to get at least NiMH if not LI batteries rather than those cheaper NiCads. Do you think I should leave the batteries in the drawer rather than storing one in the NextGen's recharger? I don't know whether the battery from the recharger was dead because it was always dead or because the recharging circuitry did something to it.
post #27293 of 27298 Old 07-22-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Batteries of any type don't really like to be kept on the charger 24x7 and from everything I've read about batteries it's best to store them not 100% charged. Of course charging to 100% and then immediately using them is no problem, it's just best to not charge them to 100% and then just let them sit.
post #27294 of 27298 Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 AM

Thanks, Jeff. I still wonder whether leaving that battery in the charger for a year damaged it. It's handy to have a replacement battery right there in the unit, but if I store one there again, I'm going to block one of the contacts with a piece of paperboard.
post #27295 of 27298 Old Today, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Magnavox MDR535 joining titles question

I have a question regarding joining titles with the magnavox recorders.. I have the mdr535. I have been recording episodes of an OTA tv series. When I get six episodes I dub them to a dvd.

On one episode the broadcasters cut out the opening title sequence. I created a title sequence from one show and copied this
and the cut show to my computer. I have tried to merge the two files together and dub them back to the mdr535. When I try the
magnavox still regards the files as two different titles and will either dub one or the other, but not both together. However If I
want to watch the dvd it plays as one show.

I have tried merging with DVDFAB, dvd reauthoring with DVDshrink ,and a program called VOBjoiner. The results are always the same as decribed above.
Does anyone know how I can edit those two files together or can explain why the recorder still sees two titles?
Thanks
post #27296 of 27298 Old Today, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by golaj View Post
Does anyone know how I can edit those two files together or can explain why the recorder still sees two titles?
Thanks
VideoRedo will join multiple DVD titles into a single title. It is not a matter of joining the .VOB files together but modifying the .ifo file which defines the titles. That is a re-authoring task which VideoRedo will do.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #27297 of 27298 Old Today, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
recording from Mag 2160MW9 HD to separate DVD recorder.

I bought a Magnavox 2160MW9 over 10 years ago and this sticky has been extremely helpful for all related issues. Amazingly I've used the unit every day for over 10 years, recorded well over 1,000 DVDs (mostly Verbatim) with perhaps only 5 failures, which was the fault of the media not the DVR and it has worked great in every way. It's certainly the most reliable unit I've ever owned. But just recently I've been having some problems with the DVD burning function only, which I expected might happen even sooner

When loading the DVD tray, it sometimes won't load and will affect the unit in various ways (like it won't load yet won't re-open, it cuts volume out, etc). And for the first time the high-speed dubbing function (which I always use for dubbing to DVD) has started to screw up in various ways.

The most valuable function for me with this unit is recording to the HDD and editing, which is all still working flawlessly, so I would like to keep using the HDD for recording & editing but if possible to find a separate DVD recorder for dubbing to disc. I suppose I could use the RCA composite outs from the 2160MW9 and go into the same on the DVD recorder unit (or HDMI?) .

I know I can just buy a new model by Magnavox (I suppose it is the MDR557H/F7) but if possible I would like to keep using my 2160MW9 HDD and use a separate DVD recorder for dubbing to disc. I know this isn't ideal and worst of all I would have to dub in real time, no high-speed dubbing, but it would allow me to keep using my 2160MW9 HDD which I love, especially the editing feature.

I searched the sticky, forums, etc, before I posted this and found nothing on this, of course I may have missed it and if so I apologize, I know how irritating it can be when someone asks about an issue that is already covered here. But I could not find anything, so would appreciate any info. Like a suggestion on a make and/or model of a basic DVD recorder that may work well for this.
Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions on this. Thanks.
post #27298 of 27298 Unread Today, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telerian View Post
Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions on this. Thanks.
You may want to try cleaning the DVD drive before calling it dead. Your discs just might be slipping too much for them to be read correctly.

Go to the first post in this thread and read 8 d under "Important Stuff".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread