Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 911 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #27301 of 27304 Old Today, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post
Another trick for a common problem ... the drive door doesn't open when you push eject. Happens with a lot of drives once they get some miles on them. It's not the tray - the clamp that holds the disk in place goes out of adjustment and won't release properly on an empty drive, so it hangs up. Something that could help (and has for me on several assorted drives) - park a blank disk in the drive when not actually recording. Haven't had a drive hang since trying this method - drives that WILL invariably hang without the blank.

What's nice is even computer drives see the blank and don't get too worked up trying to read anything, so it's pretty transparent and won't slow ya down from other things.
Thanks NOSTRADIMWIT! Yeah, I do have that problem with the drive door. I'll try this for sure!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27302 of 27304 Old Today, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telerian View Post
I definitely would prefer to fix this and keep using just my 2160MW9 if possible.
Those of us who have had mechanical failures have had good luck with Funai's parts department. I've bought several fans to be replaced among my 5 Mags, and a couple of new remotes. A failed old DVD drive ought to fall in the same category.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27303 of 27304 Old Today, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post
...park a blank disk in the drive when not actually recording. Haven't had a drive hang since trying this method - drives that WILL invariably hang without the blank.

What's nice is even computer drives see the blank and don't get too worked up trying to read anything, so it's pretty transparent and won't slow ya down from other things.
For unknown definition of "blank", "not worked up" has not been my experience. What does work for me is putting in any single sided disc, blank or otherwise, upside down.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27304 of 27304 Old Today, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Those of us who have had mechanical failures have had good luck with Funai's parts department. I've bought several fans to be replaced among my 5 Mags, and a couple of new remotes. A failed old DVD drive ought to fall in the same category.
Thanks mrmazda... yeah if I can't fix the drive myself, I'm going to look into a replacement as you suggest, especially knowing you and others have had good results dealing with Funai... thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread