Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 912 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

Old 08-22-2016, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
INFO: TDS cable in Alamogordo, NM has been warning customers for several months about losing analog service, but did not begin to drop channels until July (at least for what we watch/record with Mag 557). About half are now gone from lineup, I expect the remaining ones to go before long. Anyway, TDS offered settop box(es) for free for the first six months, with 3.50/month fee thereafter. We have been experimenting with the box, provided to TDS by "Evolution Digital", which has one analog (ch 3-4) out and one HDMI out. It is quite small, about 5" x 5" x 1", powered with external wall wart. According to the book the remote has both IR and RF link, because it refers to setting up the remote to control a box which does not have line of sight. We have not tried the RF link, since the boxes are not in the same room. So far we are able to run the TV on the HDMI out and the Mag 557 on the Ch3 analog out simultaneously (with both receiving the same channel, of course). I was surprised because the instructions indicated only one output could be used at a time, as some have indicated on the forum for other cable providers. We may end up using both boxes where the main TV is, to watch one channel whilst recording another when all analog goes away so the RF control capability will be handy for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
rrgg, the 53x series don't have easily replaceable fuses (they switched to soldered in that series), so I emailed Funai Service to see if they can be of any help. Might know something tomorrow or ??? (I have an old link in my help files, so I'm also testing that link.)
OK. So you think it's more likely a fuse than power supply?

I haven't unscrewed the DVR case, but I wonder if I can visibly tell whether the fuse is burnt out. (Haven't done any soldering in many years but would up for it if that does the trick.) Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hey everyone. I have another issue with my 513 that has been ongoing. I resolved the problem that I posted about before but this is different. I'm looking to sell the unit but I think there's something wrong with it. Whenever it is unplugged or the power goes out, it acts like it's dead. And I've tried the tips that were posted and have managed to get it working. But every time it loses power, it does the same thing. Once I'm able to get power to it, it takes a few minutes pressing the power button. Then when I try to record on the hdd I get an error message. I was able to fix that with setting up a timer recording and have it power off and then back on. But I have to do this every time it loses power. When it works, it works good but unfortunately it's unpredictable. Is there something wrong with the machine? Do I need to junk it? If anyone here can help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Today, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisischris View Post
Hey everyone. I have another issue with my 513 that has been ongoing. I resolved the problem that I posted about before but this is different. I'm looking to sell the unit but I think there's something wrong with it. Whenever it is unplugged or the power goes out, it acts like it's dead. And I've tried the tips that were posted and have managed to get it working. But every time it loses power, it does the same thing. Once I'm able to get power to it, it takes a few minutes pressing the power button. Then when I try to record on the hdd I get an error message. I was able to fix that with setting up a timer recording and have it power off and then back on. But I have to do this every time it loses power. When it works, it works good but unfortunately it's unpredictable. Is there something wrong with the machine? Do I need to junk it? If anyone here can help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
An APC UPS (power supply) solved similar problems for me!

Orrin - Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster
Old Today, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
Any idea what I might pay to get a 533 fixed, assuming this is dead power supply or something simple?

I followed the instructions here to start a dead machine but no luck. Holding down the power button doesn't do the trick. I also followed the instructions magnavox sent. See below. It's a little odd that this would die while I was away on vacation but I guess it's just bad luck. The P never appears nor anything else and there's no signal. Thanks!

From magnavox:

1. Check if the standby light is lit. It can be found on the monitor and is usually red in color.
2. Check whether the power cord is correctly and securely connected to the power outlet.
3. Try to plug it in to a different working outlet. If the unit is connected to a power strip or surge protector, plug it in directly to the power outlet.
4. Disconnect all the cable wires attached to the player like an antenna or cable box (for it might affect the TV) and try to turn it back on.
5. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds while the unit is connected to the power outlet. After 10 seconds, unplug it from the socket and release the power button. Plug it back in and try to turn it on.

If the troubleshooting steps do not work, please have your unit repaired by the nearest Authorized Service Center in your area
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
rrgg, the 53x series don't have easily replaceable fuses (they switched to soldered in that series), so I emailed Funai Service to see if they can be of any help. Might know something tomorrow or ??? (I have an old link in my help files, so I'm also testing that link.)
I heard back from Masaki Nagamine at parts@funaiservice.com:

On 8/21/2016 12:31 PM, User1 wrote:
I assume the soldered fuse in a MDR533H/F7 is not user-replaceable?

Can you service a "dead" unit for which the user has tried all Magnavox-recommended "fixes."

Hello
Please let us know which parts would you like to replace ?
FSC Parts
Old Today, 04:06 PM

I don't need it for myself. I want to sell it and make sure it's in good working order before doing so. I'm considering upgrading the firmware on it to see if that helps but I don't want to damage it any more. Not even sure if a repair would be worth it, depending on how much it would cost and if I end up keeping it or not.
Old Today, 04:08 PM

The quote didn't show up in my post but I was referring to the APC UPS.
Old Today, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
I don't need it for myself. I want to sell it and make sure it's in good working order before doing so. I'm considering upgrading the firmware on it to see if that helps but I don't want to damage it any more. Not even sure if a repair would be worth it, depending on how much it would cost and if I end up keeping it or not.
There is a 513 FW update that seems to address your issue, as described here.
Old Today, 04:50 PM

I scrolled through the posts provided in the link and couldn't find any reference to it. But thank you for responding wajo. I think I found the link to the firmware update somewhere but didn't check yet to see if it still worked. Can you direct me to a live link?
Old Today, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
I scrolled through the posts provided in the link and couldn't find any reference to it. But thank you for responding wajo. I think I found the link to the firmware update somewhere but didn't check yet to see if it still worked. Can you direct me to a live link?
Yes, the one I gave. All links are "live" and download the files you need, at least in Chrome browser. If you click a link and don't see any "action" it may be downloaded (as in Chrome) and visible in the bottom bar of the window.
Old Today, 06:17 PM

Hmm. I'm looking at here on my phone and I'm not seeing the links. I'll check when I'm at my computer. I use Firefox for browsing. That isn't a problem in regards to downloading the file would it?
Old Today, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't know what a phone does to the links. Could they have auto-downloaded to someplace else on that phone?
Old Today, 07:15 PM

I just got on my computer and now I'm seeing everything. That was weird lol. I'm sorry for the confusion wajo. I really appreciate your help. Should I just download the Ver02C file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner