Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 919 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 153Likes

post #27541 of 27558 Old 01-27-2017, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post
Hi, I just picked up a Magnavox MDR535H/F7. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced place to get the original remote other than Amazon/ebay?. I'd like to dub DVD's into the Hard Drive but haven't found a way around the press the dubbing button which I obviously don't have. Thx for any and all replies.
Here's a search page with many options (Sears link won't load?).

(Sorry, forgot the link.)
Charlescollier likes this.

Last edited by wajo; 01-27-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27542 of 27558 Old 01-27-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks wajo, that's the one.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #27543 of 27558 Old 01-29-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacdona View Post
Yesterday I picked up a Magnavox MDR515H.

Having previously read a post from a fellow Canadian who got his unit home only to find that the DVD tray did not function I considered testing my unit in the store but decided against it.

When I got the 515 home I decided to test the tray first thing so I plugged it in, gave it a few seconds to power up and then hit the open/close button - nothing happened. After a few choice expletives I decided to finish connecting and setting the unit up and tried again. This time the tray opened.

As best I can tell, the tray will not open when the unit is first powered up and the front panel display is displaying a series of dashes. Looks as if you either have to wait longer after powering it up or start the setup procedure before the tray can be opened. Once I had some info displaying on the front panel then everything was fine.

My concern is that anyone who tries to do a cursory check of the unit in the store may just plug it in and hit the open/close button and come to the conclusion that the unit is defective when it is not. Unless you can connect the unit to a television and run through the setup procedure don't jump to any conclusions about its functionality.

Hopefully Wajo can confirm this information and pass it along to the readers before they start abandoning perfectly good units.
The MAG 513 had been unplugged for at least a week. I plugged it in, set the clock and recorded on the HDD. But the DVD tray still won't open (the display obediently shows OPEN and afterwards CLOSE). I have tried using both the remote control and the manual open/close button on the unit. Is there anything else in the "setup" that I have to do to get the tray to open? Or is the tray now damaged?

Thank you

post #27544 of 27558 Old 01-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewABC View Post
The MAG 513 had been unplugged for at least a week. I plugged it in, set the clock and recorded on the HDD. But the DVD tray still won't open (the display obediently shows OPEN and afterwards CLOSE). I have tried using both the remote control and the manual open/close button on the unit. Is there anything else in the "setup" that I have to do to get the tray to open? Or is the tray now damaged?
It could be broken. You can flip the door down with a flosspick or other plastic tool without damaging anything. Once flipped down you should be able to pull the tray out with subtle force. If you look carefully you might be able to find a manual eject button like can be found on most old CD and DVD drives on computers, in that same location down low about 30-35mm from the right side of the tray. A straightened large paper clip is usually the recommended tool for this button if it has one.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27545 of 27558 Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
It could be broken. You can flip the door down with a flosspick or other plastic tool without damaging anything. Once flipped down you should be able to pull the tray out with subtle force. If you look carefully you might be able to find a manual eject button like can be found on most old CD and DVD drives on computers, in that same location down low about 30-35mm from the right side of the tray. A straightened large paper clip is usually the recommended tool for this button if it has one.
Thank you for replying.

Flipped down door with fingers. Tried prying out tray while display said "open" but it would not budge. No manual eject button.
post #27546 of 27558 Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Before tearing into the machine/DVD drive:

1. Try a Soft Reset, # 2 as described here.

2. If no joy, try a Hard Reset, # 3 as described here.
post #27547 of 27558 Old 01-30-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Before tearing into the machine/DVD drive:

1. Try a Soft Reset, # 2 as described here.

2. If no joy, try a Hard Reset, # 3 as described here.
thank you wajo for pointing me to that. I tried both and neither helped. The machine's software knows it's supposed to have opened the tray and keeps track of that because when I press the button a second time it displays "close". But something in the hardware is failing.
post #27548 of 27558 Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 AM

The seller sent me a note that he may have left a disk in the DVD drawer and that's why it's stuck and not opening. If that's true, is there anything that can be done to get it out? I am not familiar with, nor comfortable mucking around in, equipment internals
post #27549 of 27558 Old 01-31-2017, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
The seller sent me a note that he may have left a disk in the DVD drawer and that's why it's stuck and not opening. If that's true, is there anything that can be done to get it out? I am not familiar with, nor comfortable mucking around in, equipment internals
I'm not a skilled repair guy but I opened my recorder to publish some repair ops without any problems at all.

Here's some procedural stuff on how to remove the machine's cover, remove a DVD, etc. (scroll down to find what you need).
post #27550 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 06:41 AM

I opened the unit and there wasn't a DVD in the tray. I manually opened and closed the tray a few times with the gear, closed the unit and now the tray is opening/closing perfectly, with both the remote control and the panel button. It seems the rough shipping got it off track. Thank you everyone for your help.

I need to re-arrange things in my room and need to know if two Mag units can be stacked one on top of the other. The lower unit (557) would still be plugged in (Standby Mode) as it is my backup unit. If I had to use it again, as I have the past three weeks, I don't want to have to go through the lengthy setup process. (I keep a small towel over the infrared sensor so it doesn't respond to commands for the other unit.)

Is there a concern about not having air space for the lower stacked unit and the Standby Mode generating heat that could affect it?

Thank you.
post #27551 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The air vents from side to back. These units don't get hot.

For individual control of multiple units with the same remote, you can more easily use a "Kluge," as described here.

Or you can get a Universal remote like the one described here.
post #27552 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Is there a concern about not having air space for the lower stacked unit and the Standby Mode generating heat that could affect it?
I have a 4-high stack with no apparent heating issues. I do have added feet about 1/8" thick to add a little more air space in between. I block the extra IR ports with thin cardboard painted black and with grab tabs made of ordinary tape.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #27553 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
The air vents from side to back. These units don't get hot.

For individual control of multiple units with the same remote, you can more easily use a "Kluge," as described here.

Or you can get a Universal remote like the one described here.
Thank you wajo.

In your picture, your units are on open shelves. My shelves are only semi-open. I have about 7"-8" venting space behind the units so that should be sufficient. But about 1" venting space on each side. Do you see a concern with the sides?

And I really like your kluge
post #27554 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
I have a 4-high stack with no apparent heating issues. I do have added feet about 1/8" thick to add a little more air space in between. I block the extra IR ports with thin cardboard painted black and with grab tabs made of ordinary tape.
Thank you mrmazda. Perhaps I can get some soft furniture leg coasters to place between the units for elevation.
post #27555 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Thank you wajo.

In your picture, your units are on open shelves. My shelves are only semi-open. I have about 7"-8" venting space behind the units so that should be sufficient. But about 1" venting space on each side. Do you see a concern with the sides?

And I really like your kluge
Should be no problem. For your peace of mind, check unit for heat after a long recording session?
post #27556 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Should be no problem. For your peace of mind, check unit for heat after a long recording session?
Thanks again, wajo. I'll check it.

A separate question: I've seen many posts referring to the 513's w/72A FW upgrade and associated upgraded functions/features. Is there any command that would show whether a unit has that upgrade installed?
post #27557 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Post 703. Post 1 has links to everything.

This might work: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13686310

It takes a few seconds to get the right page.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 02-03-2017 at 10:51 AM.
post #27558 of 27558 Old 02-03-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Post 703. Post 1 has links to everything.

This might work: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13686310

It takes a few seconds to get the right page.
Thank you JoeKustra. The page(s) came up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread