Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 920 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 153Likes

post #27571 of 27574 Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
2080 Machine, DVD drive, on start up will click and clack for long time and them will display error that "Media is unreadable and please eject".

This happens in all cases i.e. No disk, blank disc, Prerecorded movie, etc. So it seems the drive is unable to detect any media or no media.

Opened the unit up, and cleaned the laser lens, the spindle/hub gasket. On viewing the DVD unit on start up, it does spin the disk, start and stop about a dozen time and then fails. All other HD and tuner functionality works. Is it indicative of failure of Laser emitter???

I am curious as how the unit detects if their is media inserted in the drive or it is empty, as currently even when drive is empty it thinks there is an "unreadable disk". I have reset the unit using all possible ways, and it does not change this behavior.

PS: I have many other DVR units, but I am trying to fix it as to understand how the unit works, will appreciate any input, particularly from Master Wajo.

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?

Last edited by vmalhotra; 03-21-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: reset confirmation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27572 of 27574 Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Is it indicative of failure of Laser emitter???

Yes, that is exactly what is indicated. The recorder cannot even tell if there is a disk present in the drive or not. The multiple read attempts suggest that the machine is attempting to determine if a disk is present and after a number of tries, it gives up.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #27573 of 27574 Old 03-22-2017, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Yes, that is exactly what is indicated. The recorder cannot even tell if there is a disk present in the drive or not. The multiple read attempts suggest that the machine is attempting to determine if a disk is present and after a number of tries, it gives up.
Is it safe to remove the cover and check the laser-beam. It points straight up, so viewed from side should be safe, am I right.

If I disconnect the data cable of DVD, will unit operate only using HD? And or it is possible to buy replacement drive unit.

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?

Last edited by vmalhotra; 03-22-2017 at 11:10 AM.

post #27574 of 27574 Old Today, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Lightbulb Well, If It Were Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post
Is it safe to remove the cover and check the laser-beam. It points straight up, so viewed from side should be safe, am I right.

If I disconnect the data cable of DVD, will unit operate only using HD? And or it is possible to buy replacement drive unit.
[THINKING OUT LOUD MODE ON]

Every CD / DVD Reader / Writer that I've ever owned had some sort of 'Protection' for the user. i.e. portable CD players wouldn't even attempt to read a CD if the cover / interlock was open.

Even if the Magnavox, of which I personally own 6 but never opened (or had reason to open) any, doesn't have any 'Protection', you're correct in that the laser (a very narrow beam) is pointing straight up and thus you could hold a digital camera over it to see if there's any output. (I'm basing this on the methodology for checking the output of an IR transmitter - as I said, just "Thinking Out Loud" since no one else replied. :bulb: :thinking:

[THINKING OUT LOUD MODE OFF]

Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version