Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 923 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #27661 of 27667 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I don't understand why anyone is fishing for a user to say something against the rules. It doesn't matter what he IS doing as long as what he does say is within guidelines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27662 of 27667 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post
So, how is that different than logging on and launching a stream manually from a Roku or some other device and recording from there? I don't see the difference.
Apparently the Roku outputs "encrypted" HDMI that can only be legally decrypted by a TV? It makes no sense to me - I wonder if it's ever been tested in court?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #27663 of 27667 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Apparently the Roku outputs "encrypted" HDMI that can only be legally decrypted by a TV? It makes no sense to me - I wonder if it's ever been tested in court?
My Roku 4 is connected to my Pioneer receiver with no problems. The problem is in trying to record the Roku output. Their is no recorder that has hdmi input, except maybe some black market Asian import.

post #27664 of 27667 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Am I the only one that thinks this has gone off topic? These devices ONLY record in standard definition, regardless of input used.
Even if you used an RF Modulator for $1000 to feed the signal to the HD antenna input, it's still recorded in SD.

As far as I know that falls under the safe harbor of analog sunset.
I suggest starting a new thread to discuss methods for capturing and recording in HD... and getting in trouble with mods there.
tomintn likes this.
post #27665 of 27667 Old Today, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this has gone off topic? These devices ONLY record in standard definition, regardless of input used.
Even if you used an RF Modulator for $1000 to feed the signal to the HD antenna input, it's still recorded in SD.

As far as I know that falls under the safe harbor of analog sunset.
I suggest starting a new thread to discuss methods for capturing and recording in HD... and getting in trouble with mods there.
To all the helpful people who responded to my post--THANKS.
Too many issues. Forget it. I get it.
Try this--how to connect a second Mag (515) so that all the equipment listed in my original post can still function?
Connections? Equipment needed?
post #27666 of 27667 Old Today, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by excolprof View Post
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] Equipment & connections now:
Sony TV, XBR55X930D: 4 HDMI INPUTS from equipment; OTA Antenna IN (from splitter); Digital Audio Out
Dish VIP211K HD Receiver: Composite OUT to Magnavox MDR867H/F7; Satellite IN; Antenna IN (from splitter); HDMI OUT to TV HDMI 1 IN
Magnavox HD DVR/DVD Recorder, MDR867H/F7: OTA Antenna IN; Antenna OUT (to Splitter); Composite IN from Dish receiver; HDMI OUT to TV HDMI 2 IN
Sony Blu-ray Disc DVD Player, BDP-S790: HDMI OUT to TV HDMI 4 IN
Roku Premier Plus: HDMI OUT to TV HDMI 3 IN
Polk Sound Bar, DSB1; Digital Optical Audio to TV digital Audio OUT
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All of the equipment listed above functions as expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by excolprof View Post
To all the helpful people who responded to my post--THANKS.
Too many issues. Forget it. I get it.
Try this--how to connect a second Mag (515) so that all the equipment listed in my original post can still function?
Connections? Equipment needed?
Are you looking to replace the 867 with the 515? (Easiest option). I agree the HSD feature of the 515 is very desirable, especially if you do a lot of dubbing/recording.
Where do you do most of your recording from? Dish receiver, OTA?
You could daisy chain the OTA coax from the 867 to the 515 to the TV, provided the built-in amplifiers in each Mag do not cause too strong a signal, which could cause tuning issues with either the TV, or the second Mag in the chain.
Or you could reserve one of the Mags for OTA recording only, and the other for recording from the Dish receiver. Which one you use for each would depend on which content gets recorded more frequently (use the 515 for the more frequent activity).
In order to see the output from both Mags on the TV, one of them will need to use composite out to the TV, provided it has them, or use an HDMI switch like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1833.../dp/B009WV5AB2
post #27667 of 27667 Old Today, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In your original post you asked about using the 515 as a dedicated Roku recorder. If that is your goal, you might want to get an HDMI splitter, run one line digitally for watching live and the the other to your HDMI to composite converter for the 515's input.
Probably the best you can hope for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page