Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 93 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2761 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
IT TOOK THE DRIVE!!! Slapped the old 250 in the dead machine just now, did the skip code, it came up with basic machine info like drive status OK, HD status OK, power on time, then at the bottom it had like test and format, can't remember exactly but seeing how this drive didn't seem to show the self test at all I just hit format. Machine started spinning up the drive and then appeared to shut down but fan kept spinning and drive was making noise, after about a minute I heard a loud click like the drive had parked itself and the machine was off.
I figured well it didn't take the drive after all, so I powered back up, no titles shown or anything, then just for grins I hit record and the light came on, so I ran it a sec, then stopped it. Now it has a title on it and it shows the snow I recorded as I just did a quick hookup to svideo so I could see the screens and do what I needed.
I now have 105? hours of space in SP mode, go for it guys, the hard drive part is fairly easy to just unplug and redo, normal IDE cables adapted to the ribbon so just be careful you don't over tweak the ribbon part or unplug others while redoing things.
My bet is you can format a drive, then the machine will see it, so might be possible to do a external adapter and Power supply to do multiple external drives one at a time...
I'll play some more and report back...

here's what you need to do this... basically a Philips screw driver and your hands. Like I said just be care full not to mess up the ribbon cables and you should be good to go. They are normal IDE drives and every drive should have the mounting holes needed for the rack the drive mounts in.
The power plug was pretty tight so I used a small screw driver to ease each side of the plug out till it popped loose, pretty easy to put back in afterwords though, just be care full not to stab yourself or slip and damage something if your plug is hard to remove.
And remember, UNPLUG IT, preferably for 10 minutes, to drain down any backup power inside while your doing all this mucking around, also very good idea to touch the case before going in so you don't static zap something, or use a ground strap. The drive and mounting cage is held in by 3 screws, then there are 4 screws underneath holding the bottom side of the drive to the cage, there also is a ground spring thing that you need to remove and replace to the new drive, preferably before you put it back in the cage.
Look at the pics posted for the basic location of the drive and layout and it might help you figure out how it's laid out and works before you jump in.
REMEMBER there is always the chance you might brick the machine, so don't do any of this unless your comfortable working on electronic devices and that sorta thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Congrats.
post #2763 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, when I redid the old drive it was there but wouldn't record so it was unformated or something either from sitting in my cold garage or from switching things around. Once I did the format command to it it was OK again and would record so I figured I'd have to reformat the new drive over again, but no, it showed the original 10 second quick test on title 1 so that MAY be promising.
Folks might want to try a virgin machine or empty drive and do a few test if they decide to go crazy and try multiple drives.
I do know the first time I tried it with my good machine it didn't do anything with the little 80 gig drive I tried but all my titles were still there and recognized when I put back in the original, we didn't know about the secret format command then.
post #2764 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_m View Post

I hooked up a 3576 and had the cable go through it first, then comcast box.

Everything seems to be fine - I get analog tier of comcast and some digital stuff directly into the 3576 and everything is fine coming through the Comcast box - except On Demand. I get an error message. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am not referring to the pay per view channels, but the items available through the On Demand service (free and paid tv shows and movies).

Unfortunately, I think you ran into a situation where you order PPV/OnDemand thru the coax, and the amplified coax loop in these DVDRs aren't 2-way, so no comm. back to your provider for ordering.

If true, you'll need to use a bidirectional 2-way splitter on the incoming feed line with one output to the 3576 and one to the box. It should operate the same way except now, you can order PPV etc.?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #2765 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman View Post

If both the Phillips and the Magnavox units are not available to purchase. What else is there? I was hoping to find a Magnavox H2160 at Walmart.com.

The Philips 3576 is still readily available thru many sellers on Google Checkout... used to be 25 or so of them, now down to a few but still available. Many people seem to be buying from Amazon.

Clcik #1 in my signature, go to the bottom of the long table under Sellers and Support, and click on Google Checkout.

Some people still report their Walmarts or Sams Club still have some?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #2766 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

IT TOOK THE DRIVE!!! Slapped the old 250 in the dead machine just now, did the skip code, it came up with basic machine info like drive status OK, HD status OK, power on time, then at the bottom it had like test and format, can't remember exactly but seeing how this drive didn't seem to show the self test at all I just hit format. Machine started spinning up the drive and then appeared to shut down but fan kept spinning and drive was making noise, after about a minute I heard a loud click like the drive had parked itself and the machine was off.
I figured well it didn't take the drive after all, so I powered back up, no titles shown or anything, then just for grins I hit record and the light came on, so I ran it a sec, then stopped it. Now it has a title on it and it shows the snow I recorded as I just did a quick hookup to svideo so I could see the screens and do what I needed.
I now have 105? hours of space in SP mode, go for it guys, the hard drive part is fairly easy to just unplug and redo, normal IDE cables adapted to the ribbon so just be careful you don't over tweak the ribbon part or unplug others while redoing things.
My bet is you can format a drive, then the machine will see it, so might be possible to do a external adapter and Power supply to do multiple external drives one at a time...
I'll play some more and report back...

Fantastic news, for sure! I assume you'll let us know about any change in op speed, HSD speed, etc... even "no change" would be fine!?

I'm going to order a drive or two, just not sure if I want the same size (big enough for us) or a 250... nice to be thinking of CHOICES for HDD replacement now!?

post #2767 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

There have been some complaints about being unable to dub some recordings from the Hard drive to a DVD for programs recorded OTA (over the air) that one might not expected to have copy protection. It is suspected that some commercials contain Copy Once flags. I have a DVDR3575 and an early DVDR3576 that I use OTA only (No cable or Sat) and I have never seen the problem. The first couple of reports I remember were from people with the 0x93 tuner, that was in the later DVDR3576s. There have been a few more reports of the problem, but I don't think any have responded to requests to report their tuner.

According to WAJOs info

It looks like the new tuner appeared in some unit with May 08 pack dates. My DVDR3576 is a Feb 2008 with the 0x90 tuner. Personally, since I am OTA only, I would avoid the new tuner, if I could, unless someone provided me evidence that it is not part of the problem.

My theory, and that is all it is, is that the new tuner detects Copy Once flags, and the earlier verisions did not. I certainly do not have evidence to prove that. I suspect that the only people that would know for sure would be the designers of the Philips tuners.

I believe I saw some speculation that the new tuner works better on cable (QAM).

If you plan on using the unit on a cable feed, I would say there is a much greater risk of experiencing general tuner problems. Cable systems are not as regulated as OTA transmissions.

Good luck!

My Philips 3576 (May 2008 pack date) with the 0x93 tuner firmware has rock solid digital channels (does not lose channels upon rapid up/down channel surfing) over QAM on Comcast cable (no STB). However, it does pick up false copy-once copy protection on some channels, that does not permit dubbing to DVD. False copy protection on the 3576 confirmed by the fact that my Magnavox 2160, using the exact same cable connection, has never shown copy-once copy protection recording the same channels.

RG
post #2768 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post

I hope someone will quickly correct me if my memory is bad but I think that the 0X93 firmware is the one having the copy once flag problem. If that is indeed true then an older manufacture date might be better. My Philips has a February 2008 manufacture date and has the older 0X90 firmware. I've never tried to burn a DVD from HDD recorded content so there is no first hand knowledge about the copy once deal.

I have two WalMart locations nearby that show the 3576 in stock. The closest is priced at $299. I wanted to get another Magnavox because I so much prefer the remote but might just have to get another Philips. I hate the idea of spending $50+ more now than I paid for either the 3576 or 2160 a few months ago though.

Edit: I type too slow, kenavs beat me to the punch.

My first philips 3576, with a May 2008 pack date, had the 0x90 tuner firmware. It would lose the digital channels when surfing up/down the channels (QAM over Comcast cable). Never did determine if it had a copy protection problem because I couldn't record any digital channels. Returned it to Sams and received the one with the 0x93 tuner firmware and the copy protection problem.

RG
post #2769 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You could try complaining to Philips and see if they'll send you a copy of the older 0x90 firmware. They have to have it somewhere.

--
(this space for rent)
post #2770 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, when I redid the old drive it was there but wouldn't record so it was unformated or something either from sitting in my cold garage or from switching things around. Once I did the format command to it it was OK again and would record so I figured I'd have to reformat the new drive over again, but no, it showed the original 10 second quick test on title 1 so that MAY be promising.
Folks might want to try a virgin machine or empty drive and do a few test if they decide to go crazy and try multiple drives.
I do know the first time I tried it with my good machine it didn't do anything with the little 80 gig drive I tried but all my titles were still there and recognized when I put back in the original, we didn't know about the secret format command then.

All we need now is external rack with swappable drives, unlimited storage.
post #2771 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman View Post

If both the Phillips and the Magnavox units are not available to purchase. What else is there? I was hoping to find a Magnavox H2160 at Walmart.com.

Go to this link
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10059151
and use the find in stores feature to see if any WalMart stores in your area have the 3576 in stock.
post #2772 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Fantastic news, for sure! I assume you'll let us know about any change in op speed, HSD speed, etc... even "no change" would be fine!?

I'm going to order a drive or two, just not sure if I want the same size (big enough for us) or a 250... nice to be thinking of CHOICES for HDD replacement now!?

I haven't done any dubbing from the bigger drive yet, just plunked it in and put the smaller one into the old machine to see if it still recognized all the old stuff I have on it, it did fine. I think beekeeper or somebody similar took the Polaroid bigger drive swap to the extreme and has multiple external drives into a rack or something for his 2001g.
I believe the biggest drive anyone has had work was 500 gig in one of those because of power draw but if you had a external drive with it's own power I'd bet it can take about any size drive. The format is really quick, about a minute or so and it parks and powers down, didn't seem any difference in time between the 160 or the new 250.
I gave up on the Polaroid because the tuner wasn't even stereo and the mono sound was lousy as well, though it dubs audio perfectly from external sources.
I think if you want to be safe check the power draw they list on that chart somebody posted and try not to go a lot higher if your going to stay with internal drives. The 250 gig worked fine for over a year in the Polaroid so I think it will live fine in the Philips as well. If you want to see the drive I used I posted pictures of the swap in the Polaroid 2001g thread. It's a 2 meg cache IDE 7200 RPM Western Digital that I'm pretty sure is another DVR style drive, Woot got millions of em it seems and was selling them cheap for over a year off and on.
post #2773 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't done any dubbing from the bigger drive yet, just plunked it in and put the smaller one into the old machine to see if it still recognized all the old stuff I have on it, it did fine. I think beekeeper or somebody similar took the Polaroid bigger drive swap to the extreme and has multiple external drives into a rack or something for his 2001g.
I believe the biggest drive anyone has had work was 500 gig in one of those because of power draw but if you had a external drive with it's own power I'd bet it can take about any size drive. The format is really quick, about a minute or so and it parks and powers down, didn't seem any difference in time between the 160 or the new 250.
I gave up on the Polaroid because the tuner wasn't even stereo and the mono sound was lousy as well, though it dubs audio perfectly from external sources.
I think if you want to be safe check the power draw they list on that chart somebody posted and try not to go a lot higher if your going to stay with internal drives. The 250 gig worked fine for over a year in the Polaroid so I think it will live fine in the Philips as well. If you want to see the drive I used I posted pictures of the swap in the Polaroid 2001g thread. It's a 2 meg cache IDE 7200 RPM Western Digital that I'm pretty sure is another DVR style drive, Woot got millions of em it seems and was selling them cheap for over a year off and on.

Since I tested the codes in a H2160 IMO you will be able to swap/upgrade HDD on the H2160.
Thanks for the testing.
post #2774 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

They're pretty much the same machine with minor differences so yup, should work for both...and possibly the lil brother Magnavox 80 gig that they were selling cheap.
You tested it, I just had a bigger drive lying around to try a swap so should be great news for both machines owners.
post #2775 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They're pretty much the same machine with minor differences so yup, should work for both...and possibly the lil brother Magnavox 80 gig that they were selling cheap.
You tested it, I just had a bigger drive lying around to try a swap so should be great news for both machines owners.

We also have a list of the error codes, maybe it we ask wajo he will make it part of his comprehensive information. Can you still pickup a H2080 cheap?
post #2776 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they discoed it but not sure. Was very tempting to get one when they came out but 80 gig doesn't hold much and you hadn't found the extra codes to format yet. I didn't even know the service manual was online anywhere, coulda swore I looked around for it, I like having them for my favorite gear.
Pretty sure the 80 gig was under 200 bucks there for a bit, would be a great machine if found cheaply used or new seeing how there's a good chance it can now be upgraded. Maybe ya need to post the codes to their thread if nobody has yet and see if anyone tries it.
post #2777 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think they discoed it but not sure. Was very tempting to get one when they came out but 80 gig doesn't hold much and you hadn't found the extra codes to format yet. I didn't even know the service manual was online anywhere, coulda swore I looked around for it, I like having them for my favorite gear.
Pretty sure the 80 gig was under 200 bucks there for a bit, would be a great machine if found cheaply used or new seeing how there's a good chance it can now be upgraded. Maybe ya need to post the codes to their thread if nobody has yet and see if anyone tries it.

Just did, also walmart still has them in store but not on line $188

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8054241
post #2778 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

We also have a list of the error codes, maybe it we ask wajo he will make it part of his comprehensive information. Can you still pickup a H2080 cheap?

Ask and ye shall receive! I'll be posting the COMPLETE error codes as a separate help file PDQ

post #2779 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ask and ye shall receive! I'll be posting the COMPLETE error codes as a separate help file PDQ

Gee, your on the ball.
post #2780 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Gee, your on the ball.

You bet!

Here are the Error Codes, now listed on the main list of files right under the SKIP codes (MISC category).

post #2781 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You bet!

Here are the Error Codes, now listed on the main list of files right under the SKIP codes (MISC category).

Well I guess the HDD problem is solved, Whats next? Probably trying to find machines for people who want them.
post #2782 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well I guess the HDD problem is solved, Whats next? Probably trying to find machines for people who want them.

Might be the biggest challenge!

However, Google Checkout has added quite a few online sellers of the 3576, after getting down to a precious few!

post #2783 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Going to be Ebay and other places like craigslist soon at this rate. The 2080 is not anywhere within 100 miles of me according to their find it thing, and I had to use the burner outa my bad tuner one to fix my good one when the burner died. Guess it's a good thing I hadn't sent it back in yet as it made a great test mule and spare parts rig...We may need to buy up similar models with the same burner loader drive and things to keep these going as soon the warranties run out and there wont be any spare parts.
Been eying my LG 4200a HD tuner as the case is identical to the one they used for the 3510a that had a Hard drive in it and a HD tuner...HMMMM...
post #2784 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Going to be Ebay and other places like craigslist soon at this rate. The 2080 is not anywhere within 100 miles of me according to their find it thing, and I had to use the burner outa my bad tuner one to fix my good one when the burner died. Guess it's a good thing I hadn't sent it back in yet as it made a great test mule and spare parts rig...We may need to buy up similar models with the same burner loader drive and things to keep these going as soon the warranties run out and there wont be any spare parts.
Been eying my LG 4200a HD tuner as the case is identical to the one they used for the 3510a that had a Hard drive in it and a HD tuner...HMMMM...

I'm nominating you for the Great Hands-on PhilMag Tinkerer of 2009!

The "great HDD replacement mystery" has been a real drag... it was like getting THREE NEW DVDRs for me when you announced "IT WORKED!"

I'm hoping to be rec to my HDD units for many years to come now that we know the HDD can be replaced so easily.

Since the SKIP 0 7 9 procedure does a DVD self-check in addition to the HDD, that might be useful in a burner replacement also... or maybe it doesn't need any help, just the right kind/brand?

I don't play a lot of discs or dub many DVDs anymore, but it wouldn't hurt to have one or more extra burners around, plus the 10 or so HDDs I think I'll buy (just jokin')!

post #2785 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it said my dvd drive was good, which it isn't, but at least now it recognizes that a plus dvdr blank is in it now rather then completely throwing a error, it still wouldn't record to the blank disk though, maybe I need to try that self disk test routine you found and see if it helps now.
Well thanks to auskck I was able to do this, nobody knew that skip code existed till he got the manual. He just didn't want to pry open his box or maybe didn't have a extra big drive to try.
I figure seeing how I paid for the extra warranty and Philips part is done I'm still OK as long as I don't just melt something.
I've been waiting impatiently since these came out for someone to figure out the code or sequence to get a bigger drive to work, lucky they have that option after all. My panny e80h will take a drive but will not format it any bigger then the 80 gig it came with.
Your DA MAN when it comes to info on how to setup and run these things, I just like to tweak and hack anything I get my hands on, cars, TV's, PC's dvd burners, I'll hack, tweak, and modify anything I get my grubby mits on
I slapped the 250 gig in my polaroid a half hour after I got it home...
post #2786 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

REMEMBER, it uses a loader style dvd burner. It has 2 thin ribbon cables into it and looks like the case less guts of a burner/dvd drive so we need a drive that has the same cables and setup or it's not going to work.
The ones in all 3 clones are probably the same between them enough to work, a PC drive will not work without some creative wiring and dremmel work so probably not worth the effort.
The manual should list the part number of the dvd drive, if we have that we may be able to source a supplier of the exact model or a improved version that is compatible.
post #2787 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you'll start releasing the Dartman H2250 SS soon
post #2788 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Just in case anyone wants to try to upgrade the Maggie 80 GB ...

www.chuseit.net/w0343.html

I know nothing about this company, just found it on a product search.
post #2789 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post

Go to this link
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10059151
and use the find in stores feature to see if any WalMart stores in your area have the 3576 in stock.

I picked a 3576 up at Wal-mart today so I guess I'm going to have to read all the posts now! Two stores within 20 miles showed "limited availability" and a quick call to each claimed to have them in stock with 1 of those only having 1 unit left.

Got to the store and nothing on the shelf. A clerk scanned the sticker on the shelf, but I noticed the tag & UPC on the shelf was for the 3575, not the 3576, so I would highly recommend taking the 3576 UPC code with you to the store. They went in the back for a long time, but eventually returned with a 3576, pack date February 2008.

Note another Walmart I was in said they could not search inventory of other stores since this unit was no longer in the "file", so the web search is going to be the best way to go.
post #2790 of 26047 Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec630 View Post

I picked a 3576 up at Wal-mart today so I guess I'm going to have to read all the posts now! Two stores within 20 miles showed "limited availability" and a quick call to each claimed to have them in stock with 1 of those only having 1 unit left.

Got to the store and nothing on the shelf. A clerk scanned the sticker on the shelf, but I noticed the tag & UPC on the shelf was for the 3575, not the 3576, so I would highly recommend taking the 3576 UPC code with you to the store. They went in the back for a long time, but eventually returned with a 3576, pack date February 2008.

Note another Walmart I was in said they could not search inventory of other stores since this unit was no longer in the "file", so the web search is going to be the best way to go.

Go here frist to have a read
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...86&postcount=1
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page