TVGOS Not Updating - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 330 Old 03-29-2009, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TVGOS is not working anymore. Shaw doesn't seem to know it even exists. They say they don't provide support for anything other than their PVRs.

This happened a few years ago, after much research, it turns out the signal was provided by Channel 5 and the reason it went down was because the studio was moving. After about 3 weeks, it came back up.
Are other people in Winnipeg having this problem and has anyone come up with any solutions?

I don't have it in me to start from scratch and contact CTV again, I can't recall who I spoke to, I do know it took about 10 people to get to the person who finally had a clue what I was referring to. I can't figure out why this TV guide thing is so unreliable. Could the rising Red River be to blame??

Any help would be appreciated!

Kits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 330 Old 03-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Panasonic has this bulletin posted about the TVGOS/Shaw/Western Canada issue.

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/cust...re/notice1.asp

In Ontario I'm/was having listing problems (no listings from Tu-Fri) but I think it may have been fixed. This morning I noticed that next Saturday's info is loaded. So the earlier days in the week may fill in now slowly.
post #273 of 330 Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info bbjm! You're a better man than me, but you knew that...

Kits
post #274 of 330 Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 AM

My TVGOS on a Panasonic EH55 disappeared several weeks ago (first week of March 2009). I have it connected directly to cable (no TWC cable box). Here is an explanation I got from an engineer at our PBS station, UNC-TV:

"The TVGOS data (originally Gemstar) now Macrovision that was transmitted over WUNL-TV's analog broadcast in your area was suspended several weeks ago. The data comes to the transmitter site via phone line. The TVGOS folks (Macrovision) that supply the data to the PBS stations did not have telephone line service scheduled beyond the original analog shutoff date of February 17. They have restored service in some markets but not in the Triad on WUNL-TV Winston-Salem so that service has been off for some time.
Further, UNC-TV has notified the TV Guide (Macrovision) folks that UNC-TV is suspending carriage of the TV Guide data at all transmitter sites beginning April 1. There are many reasons for this and the primary reason is as we switch the cable companies over to digital service, this TVGOS data is not available on our digital broadcast.

If you receive TVGOS on cable, with analog equipment, there is a possibility that TWC will be putting the data on the WFMY signal as WFMY has agreed to carry and broadcast this data on their digital signal. If your equipment receives the TVGOS data over-the-air with an antenna, as Marc explained then this service will completely end when analog broadcasting ends June 12."

Note: A local TWC cable engineer told me they are working with WFMY2 (the local CBS affiliate) to test TVGOS and plan to have it working "sometime in April", and that I should be able to receive it again.
post #275 of 330 Old 04-01-2009, 02:58 PM

How do I find out who to contact at the NYC CBS to see if they have it at all to know if this converter box is worth it?
post #276 of 330 Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Hey..help me..i have a Sony Bravia XBR with TVGOS had that service stop working for about a week or so. I kept doing re-initializing of the TV and the service, but it kept saying that there was no program information on any channel.

What should i do
post #277 of 330 Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcars View Post

Hey..help me..i have a Sony Bravia XBR with TVGOS had that service stop working for about a week or so. I kept doing re-initializing of the TV and the service, but it kept saying that there was no program information on any channel.

What should i do

When asking TVGOS questions, you really need to specify your location.

TVGOS is currently unavailable in some areas. In most areas, this is temporary, and it should return before June; in other areas, TVGOS appears to be gone for good. This assumes you have a TVGOS device with a digital tuner.
post #278 of 330 Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will12 View Post

My TVGOS on a Panasonic EH55 disappeared several weeks ago (first week of March 2009). I have it connected directly to cable (no TWC cable box). Here is an explanation I got from an engineer at our PBS station, UNC-TV:

"The TVGOS data (originally Gemstar) now Macrovision that was transmitted over WUNL-TV's analog broadcast in your area was suspended several weeks ago. The data comes to the transmitter site via phone line. The TVGOS folks (Macrovision) that supply the data to the PBS stations did not have telephone line service scheduled beyond the original analog shutoff date of February 17. They have restored service in some markets but not in the Triad on WUNL-TV Winston-Salem so that service has been off for some time.
Further, UNC-TV has notified the TV Guide (Macrovision) folks that UNC-TV is suspending carriage of the TV Guide data at all transmitter sites beginning April 1. There are many reasons for this and the primary reason is as we switch the cable companies over to digital service, this TVGOS data is not available on our digital broadcast.

If you receive TVGOS on cable, with analog equipment, there is a possibility that TWC will be putting the data on the WFMY signal as WFMY has agreed to carry and broadcast this data on their digital signal. If your equipment receives the TVGOS data over-the-air with an antenna, as Marc explained then this service will completely end when analog broadcasting ends June 12."

Note: A local TWC cable engineer told me they are working with WFMY2 (the local CBS affiliate) to test TVGOS and plan to have it working "sometime in April", and that I should be able to receive it again.

Thanks a lot for this information. I also have Panasonic DMR-EH55 on TWC (Santa Monica, CA) with the same problem with TVGOS but today, all channels have "no listing" yet but when I tried to reset the area code settings and turn off/on the surge protector, some listings shows up but only temporary.
post #279 of 330 Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 AM

My listings via TWC in Greensboro are back this morning (Friday) at least through Sunday morning - hopefully they are still loading and just haven't finished yet. I am receiving them from TWC via cable with no box to my Panasonic DMR-EH55 and analog TV, just as they used to be before UNC-TV cut off the local feed.

I did reset my DVR (holding down the up & down channel buttons), putting in the 00000 area code over Wednesday night, then not resetting but entering the real area code over Thursday night. I will wait until I'm sure I've got the full listings before checking for the host channel, but from my previous communication with TWC I suspect it is coming from WFMY CBS and may or may not have anything to do with my reset.
post #280 of 330 Old 04-11-2009, 06:10 PM

TVGOS had been down on my Panasonic EH55 here in Davis CA 95616 since around 3/18. I called Comcast 2x: the first, got a tech who understood what the problem was and said he would get some research and higher-ups on it. Second time, even with the first call notes on the computer, the tech couldn't comprehend what I was talking about, said the only programming info I was entitled to was Comcast channel 21, and that I should call Panasonic because it was not Comcast's responsibility.

Well, that annoyed me a lot , but I never did get around to calling Panasonic last week. This being the weekend, I decided to do it, but checked the TVGOS to see if there had been any change.

Lo & Behold! All the channels were fully loaded with listings, all of the way out to two weeks from now! Looks like back to normal.

I never did reset my EH-55. I reset the TVGOS a few times, but I'm sure the problem was with the incoming signal. Now all I have to do is go through and get rid of the golf channel and some other useless channels that came back when I reset TVGOS.

Technical on the diagnostic screen: Host State 0x80
Host ID 0x13
Host Chan 006 (PBS KVIE, same as
before it disappeared.)
post #281 of 330 Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberlin View Post

TVGOS had been down on my Panasonic EH55 here in Davis CA 95616 since around 3/18. I called Comcast 2x: the first, got a tech who understood what the problem was and said he would get some research and higher-ups on it. Second time, even with the first call notes on the computer, the tech couldn't comprehend what I was talking about, said the only programming info I was entitled to was Comcast channel 21, and that I should call Panasonic because it was not Comcast's responsibility.

Well, that annoyed me a lot , but I never did get around to calling Panasonic last week. This being the weekend, I decided to do it, but checked the TVGOS to see if there had been any change.

Lo & Behold! All the channels were fully loaded with listings, all of the way out to two weeks from now! Looks like back to normal.

I never did reset my EH-55. I reset the TVGOS a few times, but I'm sure the problem was with the incoming signal. Now all I have to do is go through and get rid of the golf channel and some other useless channels that came back when I reset TVGOS.

Technical on the diagnostic screen: Host State 0x80
Host ID 0x13
Host Chan 006 (PBS KVIE, same as
before it disappeared.)

sberlin, Are you getting a Comcast analog signal or digital? I live in Sacramento (KVIE territory) and my Panasonic EH75 can't pick up TVGOS with the setup I am using--antenna to Zenith 901 converter box. The Zenith is connected to IN3 of the Panasonic so there is no analog bypass via coax. I am using an IR blaster to allow the Panasonic to control channels on the Zenith.

It works fine for scheduled recordings but I cannot get TVOS. Searching, searching.......searching
post #282 of 330 Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:

sberlin, Are you getting a Comcast analog signal or digital? I live in Sacramento (KVIE territory) and my Panasonic EH75 can't pick up TVGOS with the setup I am using--antenna to Zenith 901 converter box. The Zenith is connected to IN3 of the Panasonic so there is no analog bypass via coax.....Dizzie2

I am getting Comcast basic cable---no digital, no premium channels, no cable box. I have the Comcast RF cable (the wire not the service) plugged into the RF input. The EH-55 receiver is analog & so is the Sony TV it is hooked up to. Not fancy, but it works. When I can afford a big LCD TV, I guess I'll go digital and worry about all those intricate wiring posts on the EH-55 thread.

The Comcast advertising in my area keeps touting that if you have an analog set, you don't have to worry so long as you have Comcast cable about the digital change-over. I assume this means they will continue to output an analog signal to their analog customers. So far I have had no glitch in service, other than the 3 weeks with TVGOS gone.

To get TVGOS to look on a particular station for host data I found this advice on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857234, post # 1 by wajo, 6-5-07:
Quote:

"Ok, the painful part of the setup has an easy workaround. Instead of waiting for TVGOS to "find" the channel containing the listings, you can use a diagnostic code to force TVGOS to look on exactly one channel. I still recommend using an attenna to discover your Host Channel, but when you're ready to set up the EH50 for DirecTV you can use the diagnostic code to avoid the long sequence quoted below.

Here's what you do: Set the EH50 to the Host Chan, then go to the messages area and use the code "963214785". If you entered the code correctly you'll get a message saying that you've set the channel for VBI. Now just power off the EH50 and let it download data. The EH50 will not scan through channels; it will just download from the channel you selected with the diag code. Let things brew overnight (or at least through a few downloads) and you should be in business.

So start by tuning to KVIE and following the instructions quoted above. I also noticed on rabbitears.info that KVOR in Stockton is carrying the analog TVGOS data stream, so you might try tuning to that channel also.

Finally, and this is little more than a guess, assuming you have both an antenna and Comcast, you can plug the RF cable from an antenna to the RF input, the comcast feed to the cable box, the cable box to IN3; then setup TVGOS for both "antenna" and "cable box", and it might find a host channel on the antenna if either KVIE or KVOR is broadcasting in analog.

Hope this helps.

Steve B.
post #283 of 330 Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 AM

Steve, Thank you for the response. I do not have Comcasat. I just have an antenna. From what I understand KVIE is currently actively hosting TVGOS. Thanks for the tip on KOVR also hosting. I will try to access one of the two stations directly via the 963214785 code.

If that fails I may try hooking up the coax antenna between the EH75V and Zenith 901 in addition to the existing IN3 connection.
post #284 of 330 Old 04-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:

"Set the EH50 to the Host Chan, then go to the messages area and use the code "963214785". If you entered the code correctly you'll get a message saying that you've set the channel for VBI."

I have an EH75 is it different? I do not understand what the "message area is". Is the "963..." number the same for all areas and Panasonics? Looks like a Zip code + extension to me.

I am using an EH75 conntcted (IN3) to a Zenith 901. That is working fine for recording manually-programmed timed-events. What is not working is TVGOS. I just added a coax antenna cable between the two units. Not sure if that is needed for TVGOS or not. I did not need it to record.
post #285 of 330 Old 04-14-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

I have an EH75 is it different? I do not understand what the "message area is".

Yes. The EH75 doesn't have that option. You go down to the "Change System Settings" and do it from there instead.
post #286 of 330 Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TVGOS has been out for 3 months after being out for another 2 in November with numerous calls to Toshiba Tech support, including incident report to Macrovision. In general Toshiba's support is good and they try to be helpful but no one thought to ask what station was listed for the only Analog ( read: TVGOS host) channel. Originally like many it was the local PBS station but now is CBS. I stumbled on this by pure frustration and when I called Toshiba late afternoon, 4/13 and also e-mailed Macrovision with the incident # and my Zipcode lo and behold I started to receive some data by the next afternoon,and the full grid by this morning Why Macrovision would have to be told about this when Comcast is probably their largest provider of TVGOS info for them is really incompetent. How could they not have been in contact with Comcast in the Philly area to coordinate changing the host channel for PBS to CBS? Even though anyone with TVGOS should be the same priority you would think a market as large as Philadelphia and it's suburbs would not fall through the tracks. Done my rant, glad I have my guide back.
post #287 of 330 Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Yes. The EH75 doesn't have that option. You go down to the "Change System Settings" and do it from there instead.

Rammitinski, Thank you. I will try that. Do I use the same code or is there a different one for the EH75?
post #288 of 330 Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhibit#4 View Post

TVGOS has been out for 3 months after being out for another 2 in November with numerous calls to Toshiba Tech support, including incident report to Macrovision. In general Toshiba's support is good and they try to be helpful but no one thought to ask what station was listed for the only Analog ( read: TVGOS host) channel. Originally like many it was the local PBS station but now is CBS. I stumbled on this by pure frustration and when I called Toshiba late afternoon, 4/13 and also e-mailed Macrovision with the incident # and my Zipcode lo and behold I started to receive some data by the next afternoon,and the full grid by this morning Why Macrovision would have to be told about this when Comcast is probably their largest provider of TVGOS info for them is really incompetent. How could they not have been in contact with Comcast in the Philly area to coordinate changing the host channel for PBS to CBS? Even though anyone with TVGOS should be the same priority you would think a market as large as Philadelphia and it's suburbs would not fall through the tracks. Done my rant, glad I have my guide back.

You must be receiving the digital TVGOS on your Toshiba (TV?). That is being carried by CBS under contract with Macrovision.

I am also in the Philly area with Comcast analog cable service, and I get the analog TVGOS on my Panasonic DVD recorder over the local ABC station (WPVI channel 6).

RG
post #289 of 330 Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Ugh. I can get TVGOS in my DTVPal but I can't get my 75V to get the right remote code for it to tune to the right channel or download the TVGOS.
post #290 of 330 Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM

FYI

Went out around march 15, came back on 3 weeks later. Took a few runs of resetting the TVGOS on the panny eh75v & reprogramming, but one day it finally took.
post #291 of 330 Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

Rammitinski, Thank you. I will try that. Do I use the same code or is there a different one for the EH75?

As far as I know, the codes are all the same. In my experience, among all the different types of devices with the different versions of TVGOS that I have, they've always been the same.
post #292 of 330 Old 04-16-2009, 04:39 AM

Should I answer yes or no to "Do you subscribe to a digital service package?"
post #293 of 330 Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Assuming you're talking about using it with OTA, you'd have to set up for "OTA" and "DirecTV".

If a "Scientific Atlanta" code doesn't come up as an option, I think there's one under "Echostar" that's the same.
post #294 of 330 Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM

My TVGOS dissapeared on my Panasonic EH75 a month ago ( 44135 area)but last night it was back. I have heard about that happening in other areas too. Anyone who has lost one just wait awhile , it might come back.
post #295 of 330 Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 PM

Nuts, I can get to the VBI screen but days of searching do not find TVGOS.
post #296 of 330 Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Now when I press "GUIDE" NOTHING happens on the screen of my Sony V series anyone ever had this happen to them?? What can be done? Is the TV fubar? I also don't get any guide info on the channels anymore, when "GUIDE" is pressed the TV THINKS its in guide mode as the other buttons don't work but in fact NOTHING is on screen when I'm doing that . PLEASE HELP!
post #297 of 330 Old 04-30-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You may have better luck in the LCD forum, but I have a W series Sony and I've never had your problem with my guide. I'd probably try and go through the initial setup again. I think it's one of the last options in the setup. It will rescan all your channels and should allow you to restart TVGOS. Otherwise you could try Sony, but the last time I tried that I was told they didn't have a contact for TVGOS and no one at Sony really knew anything about the digital TVGOS
You can read a recent post I made about TVGOS and the new Sony TVs.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...58&postcount=9
post #298 of 330 Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph00p View Post

Now when I press "GUIDE" NOTHING happens on the screen of my Sony V series anyone ever had this happen to them?? What can be done? Is the TV fubar? I also don't get any guide info on the channels anymore, when "GUIDE" is pressed the TV THINKS its in guide mode as the other buttons don't work but in fact NOTHING is on screen when I'm doing that . PLEASE HELP!

If it helps, my Mitsubishi LT-46231 started doing the same thing about a week ago. (I am utilizing a Time-Warner cablecard in SoCal.) I experienced exactly all the same symptoms as you described. I did try resetting the TVGOS with no joy. Personally, I believe that the loss of the analog TVGOS datacast has just confused the Mitsubishi's TVGOS related "brain" and is causing the loss of the guide screen as well as remote functionality after I have pressed "Guide".

I eventually resorted to turning off TVGOS, and now have the TWC provided "Channel View" guide, which provided a rudimentary guide view and also returns station identification to show on each channel.

Thanks for sharing your experience, as it made me feel less "alone".
post #299 of 330 Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
"Ok, the painful part of the setup has an easy workaround. Instead of waiting for TVGOS to "find" the channel containing the listings, you can use a diagnostic code to force TVGOS to look on exactly one channel. I still recommend using an attenna to discover your Host Channel, but when you're ready to set up the EH50 for DirecTV you can use the diagnostic code to avoid the long sequence quoted below.

Here's what you do: Set the EH50 to the Host Chan, then go to the messages area and use the code "963214785". If you entered the code correctly you'll get a message saying that you've set the channel for VBI. Now just power off the EH50 and let it download data. The EH50 will not scan through channels; it will just download from the channel you selected with the diag code. Let things brew overnight (or at least through a few downloads) and you should be in business. "

I have the Pana DMR-EH50. I have reset several times as told by their tech, have given them the info from entering the code given and so on. I have adds but no listings. I just tried setting the search channel to the confirmed CBS station from rabbitears.info by entering the string stated here at the message; ID screen. I still get a 0x0 at the host station column.

The message did appear something like: "Search set to VBI." No change so far.

Should I just wait for WOW cable to get the analog signal sent through, or keep resetting it every several days? What about playing with the zip code as some have tried?

From what I have read here, the change has been made from TVGuide's end, but the various cable companies are not up to speed. WOW denies any participation or responsibility at all from the people I have spoken to.
post #300 of 330 Old 05-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Macrovision is "still working on restoring TVGOS in SC via PBS"...

I give up! My Sony is now for sale. 500gb of HD DVR via cable, cable card, QAM and OTA antenna.

If you want it, just email me at clemsonkev at yahoo dot com and make a fair offer. You can also search to find it listed under clemsonkev at ebay.

I'm sticking with MS Media Center and streaming to the xbox.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page