Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 330 Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Maybe you can find the setup-type menu or command for your TV like there is in TVGOS-enabled DVDRs, where you enter the code number 753159852 at the appropriate menu spot.

In DVDRs, the "generic" procedure is (and this may provide a clue for your TV?):

1-Go to TVG SETUP > "Change system settings" and highlight it only (don't press Enter) > Enter on keypad the #s 753159852 (an "X" "I" pattern) > Right arrow to 2nd grey screen > Find "Host Chan" in left column and see if there are #s at right, which may look like 1:0-10. The last full # is your Host Channel.

2-If there is a Host Chan there, remember the # and press TVG button to exit. If NO Host Chan listed, press the following #s on the keypad: 653159147, which resets the TVGOS system. Press TVG button to exit and turn unit off, then on, and reset TVG settings. Don't accept zip code or other choices, rekey and toggle them as if new settings. Wait overnight to see if you get TVG and channel listings for your zip.

Thanks! I did do the 753159852 number to view the host channel and it says NONE. I didn't know how to reset the TVGOS so I'll give this a try. Although I expect if no local station is broadcasting it anymore, then this won't help but it's worth trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 330 Old 12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Yeah, people all over the forum are starting to complain like crazy that they're dropping the OTA analog signal early. The latest bunch are the Sony DVR owners. I'm still getting it on mine last time I checked, though.

Also still available in the Philly area, on Comcast cable.

RG
post #33 of 330 Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

In the Panasonic EH-55 you can either reset the whole unit or in TVGOS there's a option to do the search again.

It helps to also set the zipcode at "00000" in the TVGOS before you do the reset.

To be fair, most of those people I mentioned above are just experiencing "outages", so it's not a definite thing that they've turned the TVGOS off completely for good for all of them. They could just be fooling around with the signal. They did just add some new stations here a couple of weeks back, and sometimes when they do updates you have to reset to get it to work right, and I don't know if everyone is actually doing that (although I didn't have to reset mine).

(edit: there is a post from an OTA engineer in Orlando, FL in the Sony thread that says their TVGOS is down and they're working on it, so that would at least explain that area.)
post #34 of 330 Old 12-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Well, got a message from Susan's supervisor who basically said the same thing that it's not WOWs problem and I should contact WBBM channel 2 Chicago myself. This p%&&ed me off to no end so I called back WOWs customer support number and spoke to another supervisor.

This one actually knew what TVGOS was!!! (geez, one out of 5... award winning tech support?????). I explained to him everything going on and what I was told by another supervsor and also her boss. He agreed with me totaly and actually said he is aware of this problem and contacted WBBM himself over 2 weeks ago and has not heard back. He is authorized to contact them again in 2 days. In the meantime, he is collecting a list of all WOW users that are complaining about this and will present this data to WBBM to show that people are complaining. The main point he stated is that the more people he has listed, the better chance WBBM will do something. When he gets are reply, he said he will contact the people on his list.

So... PLEASE CONTACT WOW!!!! Their support number is 866-496-9669. The supervisor's name that is collecting the complaints and contacting WBBM is Dennis and his operator ID is AA2. Just ask to talk with him directly. Don't waste time on anyone else since most of them are absolutley no help at all.
post #35 of 330 Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 PM

I've been having a lot of missing info in the Philly area over the past few weeks.
I'll be trying the debug info posted here and a reset also.

I have Comcast's analog service and they have cut out a few channels recently. Maybe that's a part of the problem.

I have the Panny EH75 and the display has been showing "U99" many times over the past few weeks. Don't know if that's related or not. Haven't checked it out since I don't use it very often.
Yesterday I did get a couple of hours of listings but still not what it used to be.
post #36 of 330 Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM

I am located in northwest Kansas and use a local cable provider. My DVR-531 started having problems on 11/14/2008 and for the last few days there has been no data at all. In August I was having problems with the data be it was corrected 9/14/2008. All this leads me to believe it is an widespread issue. I've been receiving my data over a CBS channel for many months...shortly after the PBS station put up a new digital tower.
post #37 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1020 View Post

Hi,

I have wide open west cable in the chicago land area and subscribe to basic cable. I do not have any cable boxes, just direct coax from the wall. I have been getting TVGOS with my Panasonic TV and also on a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-E85H for years just fine but for the last couple of weeks, I have not been getting anything ("No Listing") on all the channels on both the TV and the DVD recorder.

I was able to get into the TV's TVGOS setup with the magic 753159852 number and for the Host Channel, it shows NONE. In it's progress, it cannot even obtain the time (probably because the host channel is not specified).

Is any other wide open west subscribers in the Chicago land area experiencing this? I don't want to call their support since I know when I refer to TVGOS, I'm going to get confused silence followed by an offer to send someone out to my house to look at it because the problem is always on my end.

Thanks,

Kevin

What is the magic code you mention; also how does one do a hard reset; I am not getting updates here in the Philadelphia area thru Direct Tv.
post #38 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullyman View Post

What is the magic code you mention; also how does one do a hard reset; I am not getting updates here in the Philadelphia area thru Direct Tv.

Look at post #31
post #39 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Look at post #31

How do I get to TVGOS Setup? Sorry for being electronically challenged.
post #40 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

How do I get to TVGOS Setup? Sorry for being electronically challenged.

As Kevin siad, scroll up to post #31 in this thread. It's described there, 2 steps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #41 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:

As Kevin siad, scroll up to post #31 in this thread. It's described there, 2 steps.

1-Go to TVG SETUP

Where do I go to find it???????
post #42 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

1-Go to TVG SETUP

Where do I go to find it???????

Open TVG and one of the options in the top menu should be "SETUP."

|
|
|
post #43 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Open TVG and one of the options in the top menu should be "SETUP."

Thank you!!!
post #44 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 AM

My Panasonic E85 wasn't getting TVGuide programming information for over a week. Was starting to think "this was it, it's all over". Entered the magic number and saw the Host Chan and VBI Chan were both 0x0. I took a picture of the screen back in February and they both should be 0x9, where channel 9 is the local PBS station.

Not wanting to do a hard reset, I did the reset where you press and hold the power button with the machine on. I read somewhere this erases something on the hard disc where promo ads are stored.

A day later I'm now getting the schedule again, the week is fully populated with programming information. I entered the magic number and this time the Host Chan and VBI Chan are 0x9.

I can't conclusively say that doing the power down procedure fixed the problem, but it can't hurt either. I know some day the analog TVGuide will go away completely, but for now things are working.
post #45 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've been checking my E85'S guide since this thread went up and they were always still populated-until last night. When I looked at the guide after primetime ended, I noticed that many channels had 'no listing' for overnight and Tuesday onwards, there were a handful of channels with listings, but most weren't. So add another victim to the list.
Since there was still some data present, I decided to see what would happen if I left it alone. I'll turn it on this evening and see if it's downloaded more listings before trying the hard reset.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #46 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

So add another victim to the list.

This is starting to sound contageous. I sort of always expected analog TVGOS to be up and running until the very end. Guess not. Now, I'm kind'a glad I gave up on TVGOS with my E-85 a couple months ago and went manual. Otherwise I'd be getting P.O'd with the rest of you. Better hook up your CM-7000 sooner rather than later.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #47 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Well I switched back to automatic TVGOS from the manual method I'd been using for a while. This time for the zip code I used 00014 instead of my correct zip 55337. I read a DTVPal manual and it said for my area to use 00014 as my zip code for the digital TVGOS. Overnight my Panny did find the TVGOS signal but it was on analog OTA CBS. Funny thing is the bogus zip code did bring up a channel lineup similar but not the same channel numbers as when I previously entered my correct zip code and then had to say what cable system I used(I'm OTA only but needed to say I was digital cable to allow me to use my IR blaster and get the digital channels in my grid).
It was still tedious to renumber all the channels and change their placement on the grid but I think it was easier than entering in my correct zip code. Besides when I previously entered in my correct zip code and my local cable company I didn't get one digital channel on my grid that my local cable system does not carry. The bogus zip code brought up all my OTA digitals(along with a ton of digital cable channels which I cannot pick up OTA).

Long story short, analog TVGOS is still working in my area, OTA anyway.
post #48 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

I think as long as you're using a digital cable box, you'll be fine if the provider doesn't f**k up or disable it during the transition. We'll see, so far I'm still getting 8 days' worth with no trouble on my EH55. I was thinking; worse comes to worse, I'll just have to reroute the coax connections to the cable box's IN and OUT to IN of the DVD recorder, maybe that way the signals are converted, just something I thought of ahead before dooms-day comes...TVGOS that is.
post #49 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Mine went dead last night, too. It still listed the host channel, though. But today that's gone. Really sucks, because my Sony DVR (which I paid $800.00 for - not $250.00, like those other lucky b******s got it for) is completely useless as a time-shifting device now (no manual time setting on it, and the clock is way off now, since that's gone, too).

I've got listings for today, but didn't have any last night. I don't want to try a reset just yet, because I don't want to lose the channel lineup. My recording settings are still all there, but with the clock being off, they won't fire at the right time anyway. They just added a few channels a couple of weeks back, so I sort of find it hard to believe that they've turned it off for good.

I knew I should've just bought the LG DVR when I had the chance. At least that has manual time setting. Both that and the Sony have superb picture quality. I'm really not expecting the DTVPal DVR's PQ to equal it. In fact, I'll be massively surprised if it even comes close (the Sony's PQ is just that good).

Hopefully this "DTVPal TVGOS conversion" thing will pan out, and I'll be able to use that and still use the Sony's tuner to record from.

(edit: I just thought of something - maybe they switched back to CBS, in which case I'm screwed until either I can fix my rooftop antenna next spring, or I can receive it OK with my indoor antenna, when it changes from 3 to 12 next Feb. It was on CBS awhile back for a few months - they might've been testing it then or something. But my outdoor antenna was fine then.)
post #50 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:

3-If there is a Host Chan there, remember the # and press TVG button to exit. If NO Host Chan listed, press the following #s on the keypad: 653159147, which resets the TVGOS system. Press TVG button to exit and turn unit off, then on, and reset TVG settings. Don't accept zip code or other choices, rekey and toggle them as if new settings. Wait overnight to see if you get TVG and channel listings for your zip.

Hi,

What should happen when I enter 653159147? I am able to get into the setup with the 753159852 number and see the host channel is set to NONE. I then enter 653159147 but nothing happens. Should it? I was expecting to see something like a message saying "TVGOS reset" or something but I got nothing. I am doing this on my Panasonic TV that has TVGOS.

Thanks,
post #51 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi,

What should happen when I enter 653159147? I am able to get into the setup with the 753159852 number and see the host channel is set to NONE. I then enter 653159147 but nothing happens. Should it? I was expecting to see something like a message saying "TVGOS reset" or something but I got nothing. I am doing this on my Panasonic TV that has TVGOS.

I haven't used TVGOS for awhile now, but my instruction might not be exactly clear.

You press that 2nd number at the same place you pressed the 1st number, i.e., exit back to the TVG main menu, select SETUP, highlight "Change system settings," then enter 653159147. I think you then have to press TVG button to exit (or it exits for you?), turn unit off, then on, and reset TVG settings. Don't accept zip code or other choices, rekey and toggle them as if new settings. Wait overnight to see if you get TVG and channel listings for your zip.

Just for clarity (I hope), here's the whole procedure again, corrected:

1-Open TVG and, in top menu bar, select SETUP > "Change system settings"... highlight it only (DON'T press Enter).

2-Enter on keypad the #s 753159852 (an "X" "I" pattern) > Right arrow to 2nd grey screen > Find "Host Chan" in left column and see if there are #s at right, which may look like 1:0-10 in Pioneers or 0x9 in Panasonics and others. The last full # is your Host Channel. ("VBI Chan" is the channel you're tuned to now.)

3-If there is a Host Chan there, remember the # and press TVG button to exit. If NO Host Chan listed, go back to Step 1 but press the following #s on the keypad: 653159147, which resets the TVGOS system. I think you have to press TVG button to exit (it might exit for you?), then turn unit off, then on, and reset TVG settings. Don't accept zip code or other choices, rekey and toggle them as if new settings. Wait overnight to see if you get TVG and channel listings for your zip

|
|
|
post #52 of 330 Old 12-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Late last night my EH75 started showing listings for all channels for the next 24 hours. After that, most channels showed "No Listing". I did not have to reset anything.
That's a big improvement over the past couple of weeks, but still not the normal 7 days that I'm used to.
I was able to enter the debug mode using info in these posts (Thanks!!!) and saw that the Host Chan was 13.
In the Philly area with Comcast analog that is a version of CBS (CW Philly for those locals).
Anybody near Philly tried to contact this station to get info???
post #53 of 330 Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch256 View Post

Late last night my EH75 started showing listings for all channels for the next 24 hours. After that, most channels showed "No Listing". I did not have to reset anything.
That's a big improvement over the past couple of weeks, but still not the normal 7 days that I'm used to.
I was able to enter the debug mode using info in these posts (Thanks!!!) and saw that the Host Chan was 13.
In the Philly area with Comcast analog that is a version of CBS (CW Philly for those locals).

I get my TVGOS in the Philly suburbs over Comcast, but the last time I checked, the TVGOS was coming from either FOX (cable channel 9) or CBS (cable channel 3). I will have to check again when I get home to see if the host channel has changed.

BTW, IIFC TVGOS populates the guide by downloading today plus 7 days from today, and so it can take up to a week to get all the guide "holes" filled in. This is normal.

RG
post #54 of 330 Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch256 View Post

Frederick, MD 21703 is still completely down. I've emailed the public TV station here about the outage, but have not recieved any response yet. I'll be follow up by end of the week if they have not responded to me still. Not having TVGOS is really begining to p*ss me off.
post #55 of 330 Old 12-03-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:

3-If there is a Host Chan there, remember the # and press TVG button to exit. If NO Host Chan listed, go back to Step 1 but press the following #s on the keypad: 653159147, which resets the TVGOS system. I think you have to press TVG button to exit (it might exit for you?), then turn unit off, then on, and reset TVG settings. Don't accept zip code or other choices, rekey and toggle them as if new settings. Wait overnight to see if you get TVG and channel listings for your zip

Thanks. I tried this way too and still I'm not really sure it did anything. I put in the 653159147 number from the same spot as the 7... number and nothing happens. I exit out, turn off/on, get back into tvgos and my old settings (zipcode, etc.) are still there so I'm not sure anything got reset. I still re-entered everything just to see and this morning there is no difference... still no host channel listed when I go to the 7.... screen.
post #56 of 330 Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks. I tried this way too and still I'm not really sure it did anything. I put in the 653159147 number from the same spot as the 7... number and nothing happens. I exit out, turn off/on, get back into tvgos and my old settings (zipcode, etc.) are still there so I'm not sure anything got reset. I still re-entered everything just to see and this morning there is no difference... still no host channel listed when I go to the 7.... screen.

Yes, the old data will be there and that's why I recommend rekeying everything. I don't remember what it actually "resets" but I think it's Host Chan, channel listings, and the data in the daily listings? Did you turn on after a day and did it display a menu telling you it found several TV sources and asking you to pick one? That would be a normal thing after a "reset" EXCEPT I don't think it'd do that if it didn't find a Host Chan first?

If you're connected to an incoming coax and not seeing any Host Chan after a day, there must be none still sending the data in your area???

As a last resort, have you tried a complete machine reset... I think you have a Panny, so with unit on, hold ch up/dn buttons on front of unit down for 10 sec until it turns off. That should wipe the TVGOS data clean and the unit should offer a virgin TVGOS setup screen when turned on again.

|
|
|
post #57 of 330 Old 12-03-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:

As a last resort, have you tried a complete machine reset... I think you have a Panny, so with unit on, hold ch up/dn buttons on front of unit down for 10 sec until it turns off. That should wipe the TVGOS data clean and the unit should offer a virgin TVGOS setup screen when turned on again.

Do you know how to perform this type of reset on the Pioneer 531?
post #58 of 330 Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmike0408 View Post

Do you know how to perform this type of reset on the Pioneer 531?

Yes, Pioneer full reset is:

With unit on, press and HOLD STOP, then press Standy/On button and hold both until machine shuts itself off.

|
|
|
post #59 of 330 Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:

If you're connected to an incoming coax and not seeing any Host Chan after a day, there must be none still sending the data in your area???

Yes, I still don't have a host channel so I think the problem is that I'm just not getting a TVGOS signal anymore. But I'm sure the great tech support at wide open west cable will have a solution in no time

Thanks for the info.
post #60 of 330 Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 AM

Should the default station be the PBS Station or the TV Guide Station #237 on Direct TV???
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page