TVGOS Not Updating - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 330 Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay thanks. I tried that and reset the setup. Ill let you know how it goes.
Also when I entered those numbers nothing showed up on screen. Just wondering if I did it correctly and shouldve seen something reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 330 Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I don't think anything shows up on screen... in fact, I think it only "resets" when you turn the unit off... been a while since I used TVGOS.
post #183 of 330 Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 PM

After being instructed to do a reset by the people at Macrovision, my TVGOS is once again receiving program information. I don't know what changed to cause the initial loss, or what has been changed in the interim to fix it, but I'm very pleased that it's working again.
post #184 of 330 Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Still no luck on my panasonic. Anyone know how I would do a hard reset? I believe its channel up and down but not sure. Thanks for the help
post #185 of 330 Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yes, hold both the channel up and down buttons on the main unit for at least 10 seconds. Note the machine must be ON for this to work.
post #186 of 330 Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks Jjeff. Ill try it.
post #187 of 330 Old 01-26-2009, 09:24 PM

I was scanning through threads here (the DTVPal DVR one I think) and came across something about TVGOS being reset for a lot of folks within the last few days (I read through it so quickly I dont recall the details) . I called my parents in TN who've been having trouble with the TVGOS on their Pioneer DVR and they said their guide is now back after being gone for a month. Anyone know what happened/was done to make TVGOS start working again?
post #188 of 330 Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
There might be some scattered info on that here, but the heaviest concentration is in the Sony DHG-HDD500/250 HD DVR thread in the "HDTV Recorders" sub-forum.
post #189 of 330 Old 01-27-2009, 03:43 PM

My Panny is back up and working after doing a hard reset. Thanks again for all the info!
post #190 of 330 Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

My Panny up & working again also. Did a hard reset and entered 'CABLE WITHOUT BOX' unit downloaded that night, then I went back in and checked off 'CABLE WITH BOX ' as well. By checking both, you get the full listing of channels from your provider.

The big test will come on FEBRUARY 17 2009 !!!
HOPEFULLY everything stays up & running. According to Macrovision they will be supporting all MOST TVGOS HARDWARE.
post #191 of 330 Old 01-31-2009, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

I don't care about a digital tuner so long as I can continue to receive TVGOS program info throughout the changing phase, I can live with this as long as my analog-EH55 doesn't go blank; which in any case I am hoping not to be the case. So digital or not, it won't make a difference to the lot of us running analog recorders through cable/satellite.
post #192 of 330 Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 AM

I have been having problems lately with the TVGOS. It worked perfectly for a month on my Sony XBR6 until 1-22-09. Then nothing. I reset and left the TV off for 32 consecutive hours and still nothing. I went through this forum and found some information with 9-digit codes from the TVGOS and tried the G-test. Still nothing. So I called my cable guy. I found out that he doesn't know anything about the VBI data coming across the analog PBS station or TVGOS. He did state that the analog PBS station was down a few weeks ago for 5 days and it is now broadcasting ok. Does anyone know if I can run the manual program for my local PBS station with the 9-digit codes? Will this eliminate the minimum 24-hr wait for TVGOS?

After talking with him, a bigger issue is that he's invested a lot in upgrading lines and his station to receive digital signals, and he's going to receive just about every channel in digital now. BUT he will be converting the digital signal to an analog signal so the end users don't have to get a set-top box. Basically meaning that my HDTV digital tuner could have handled these digital signals and now my signals will be reduced to 480 analog before my tuner can process them! If I could just convince this guy to make the end users buy the set-top boxes.......
post #193 of 330 Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

If you Sony is a newer one with a digital tuner it "should" be getting TVGOS from your local CBS digital station. If you're near your local CBS station do you have a way to hook up a OTA antenna to your Sony and see if anything comes in?
In your case it could either be your local station is having problems or just doesn't carry TVGOS, or your cable system is somehow not passing it on.
Unfortunately we've got a couple TVGOS threads going on right now but in the other thread Westly posted a link to TVGOS where your could input your info and it will tell you if TVGOS should be available. Here's a link to the other thread/post. I don't think this link has been posted in this older thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15721809
post #194 of 330 Old 02-05-2009, 06:57 AM

My TVGOS dies last week with my Cox AZ service. I got a reply from a Cox tech, but I really don't understand what he's saying. Can anyone interpret this?

Quote:

Hello,

I got some new information for you. Our Interactive Services department told me that it will be up to the affiliates if they will or will not be providing the signal.

At this time from what we understand PBS will still carry the signal. In different markets the TVGOS is moving over to Commercial Business Service affiliates.

In the end it will be determined by the broadcasters and if they come to an agreement with TV Guide. Right now they are attempting to contact the PBS affiliate and see if they can get more information.

Hopefully this answers your question. Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Thanks,

post #195 of 330 Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
They probably mean:

"We've moved the TVGOS service to a department that knows nothing about providing "services" to our subscribers but is really good at squeezing extra $$$ from them. We've been testing ways to charge for this TVGOS service, as you may have noticed from the planned outages, and we will be notifying our subscribers as soon as we develop our plan of attack.

This will fulfill the last element of our business plan: eliminating the block on our strategy chart that used to be so annoying, the "Free Services" element, so that, soon, we'll be able to put a diagonal line thru that block and get back to our primary business... making money.

If we can be of any further help, please hesitate to call."
post #196 of 330 Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

They probably mean:

"We've moved the TVGOS service to a department that knows nothing about providing "services" to our subscribers but is really good at squeezing extra $$$ from them. We've been testing ways to charge for this TVGOS service, as you may have noticed from the planned outages, and we will be notifying our subscribers as soon as we develop our plan of attack.

This will fulfill the last element of our business plan: eliminating the block on our strategy chart that used to be so annoying, the "Free Services" element, so that, soon, we'll be able to put a diagonal line thru that block and get back to our primary business... making money.

If we can be of any further help, please hesitate to call."

VERY well played.
post #197 of 330 Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 PM

I just got off the phone with the Dir. of Eng. for KPHO TV5 here in Phoenix AZ. He verified that CBS was the authorized provider for TVGOS and that it was up to each affilate whether or not to impliment it. He said that they did not chose to do so, stating not wanting to reduce bandwith. He also acknowleged that about a dozen other calls were received concering this. So it looks like anyone in the Phx Az area is out of luck.
post #198 of 330 Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM

Bruce here in the panhandle of Ne, I get the denver locals via Direct TV and have not been able to get the tv guide back on my panny eh55, our denver CBS is sending a digital signal, so no guide for analog devices, our PBS has not been sending the guide since there broadcast tower went down in a bad wind storm last month (first part of Jan)

I hade been getting the guide for the last 3 years.

The last month I been searching the internet in my spare time trying to figure out if they are trying to keep the more than 25 million analog devices that have been using the TV guide, working thru the digital change.

This why there have been so many outages of the TV guide in different areas of the USA because they been working on it, a solution.

Today I found this it has been out since last summer, I found it on a site that said to get it to your station if you are not getting the guide, so I printed it out and will be sending it to CBS and PBS in Denver in the am.

It is a PDF format and located here
http://laurenstephens.net/uploads/3d927cc0e5.pdf
it is a fix that broadcast engineers can use to keep analog devices working thrui the switch to digtial and beyond so our analog devices will continue to work.

So any who want can email it or print it out and send it your local CBS/PBS stations.

Later Bruce
post #199 of 330 Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider View Post

I just got off the phone with the Dir. of Eng. for KPHO TV5 here in Phoenix AZ. He verified that CBS was the authorized provider for TVGOS and that it was up to each affilate whether or not to impliment it. He said that they did not chose to do so, stating not wanting to reduce bandwith. He also acknowleged that about a dozen other calls were received concering this. So it looks like anyone in the Phx Az area is out of luck.

People in phx need to call and call again, if they get enought calls they will put it back.

Denver CBS and PBS have been swamped with calls about it, so much so that PBS is repairing there analo braodcast ant and will contiune to broadcast analog in low power beyond the officail shut off of july, which is legal in many areas on some channles.
post #200 of 330 Old 02-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Liked: 14
I've had my Panasonic DMR-EH55 for about 2 years and had no problem until just about the time some stations started to broadcast the .1 digital channels. It may be purely coincidental buy it was just about the time I lost use of my guide and without it I can't record anything. I've unplugged to reset, I're tried the 2 button hold down method to reset and nothing works. I also get a U19 error now (occasionally) that the manual says I can get rid of by hitting the standby (power) button once. This does bring back my clock function but I still can't get the guide to appear. DirecTV says they do not support the guide function but Panasonic says DTV might actually be the problem. The DTV operators usually have no idea how things work so I doubt they'd have a clue if they were responsible. All I know is no guide, no recording. Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have a solution that might get the guide back?
post #201 of 330 Old 02-13-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Disclaimer: The following is my understanding from posts to this forum. I've had no communication with Macrovision.

TVGOS was formerly distributed using the analog PBS feed, available on both OTA and cable. That is going away soon, if it hasn't already.

Macrovision (formerly Gemstar) reached an agreement with CBS to distribute TVGOS information with their digital broadcast. This information is now available in many markets. In theory, TVs and DVD recorders with QAM tuners should be able to receive this information on the cable company's CBS HD feed, once upgraded with a newer version of the TVGOS software.

This may not always work in practice, depending on what the cable company does with the source CBS HD feed. For best (reliable) results, some users may need to connect an off-air antenna to continue receiving TVGOS information.

For those older analog devices without ATSC or QAM tuners, some cable companies may also install equipment to take the digital TVGOS feed, convert it to analog, and distribute it with an analog channel on their system. I haven't heard much about this and I wouldn't depend on it.
post #202 of 330 Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Disclaimer: The following is my understanding from posts to this forum. I've had no communication with Macrovision.

TVGOS was formerly distributed using the analog PBS feed, available on both OTA and cable. That is going away soon, if it hasn't already.

Macrovision (formerly Gemstar) reached an agreement with CBS to distribute TVGOS information with their digital broadcast. This information is now available in many markets. In theory, TVs and DVD recorders with QAM tuners should be able to receive this information on the cable company's CBS HD feed, once upgraded with a newer version of the TVGOS software.

This may not always work in practice, depending on what the cable company does with the source CBS HD feed. For best (reliable) results, some users may need to connect an off-air antenna to continue receiving TVGOS information.

For those older analog devices without ATSC or QAM tuners, some cable companies may also install equipment to take the digital TVGOS feed, convert it to analog, and distribute it with an analog channel on their system. I haven't heard much about this and I wouldn't depend on it.

That explains alot. I had no idea when I bought the DVR that being able to record off air was depedent on someone broadcasting the guide. If no one carries it, I guess I have an expensive DVD player. Thanks for the info.
post #203 of 330 Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunz View Post

That explains alot. I had no idea when I bought the DVR that being able to record off air was depedent on someone broadcasting the guide. If no one carries it, I guess I have an expensive DVD player. Thanks for the info.

Manual timer recordings are still possible on the Panasonic dvd recorders with the guide system.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #204 of 330 Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Manual timer recordings are still possible on the Panasonic dvd recorders with the guide system.

Only if I'm recording OTA channles. I couldn't get anything to record off of DTV without a menu to select from. How have you accomplished this?
post #205 of 330 Old 02-14-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Hit the "schedule", and then the "sub menu" buttons on the remote, and when you program the timer, choose the correct line input that the tuner's connected to.

You could either set up the TVGOS to control the tuner with the IR blaster, or, if your tuner has that capability, set timers in it to coincide.

If using the IR blaster, you'll have to use special channel numbers for at least the subchannels, but using the regular main channel numbers should work for those.
post #206 of 330 Old 02-14-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Hit the "schedule", and then the "sub menu" buttons on the remote, and when you program the timer, choose the correct line input that the tuner's connected to.

You could either set up the TVGOS to control the tuner with the IR blaster, or, if your tuner has that capability, set timers in it to coincide.

If using the IR blaster, you'll have to use special channel numbers for at least the subchannels, but using the regular main channel numbers should work for those.

It's been awhle since I tried recording anything so I'll try it again as you suggested. Thanks for the advice.
post #207 of 330 Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 PM

Dammit Rammit, I feel like a fool. How did I not check the input settings? Well thanks for the kick in the head. I guess maybe I should walk away when I'm pissed and try again later with a clear head? NAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Needless to say, it worked. Thanks!
post #208 of 330 Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Some related info that may help. I've been using TVGOS on my TV for over 3 years and have been receiving the data via Comcast cable on an anlog PBS channel. This analog channel appears to be transmitted solely for this purpose on channel 98 that is not part of the official listed lineup from Comcast. About a week ago the TVGOS data suddenly stopped coming in. I confirmed that via the diagnostics screen that there were no packets being received (no clock set, no program data, etc.). I contacted the local PBS channel and they sent a note back indicating that they in fact were not transmitting the TVGOS data and an engineer would look into it.

Here's the interesting thing. On Thursday the data started coming in again. When I checked the diags it still showed channel 98 has the host and VBI channel for the data, but channel 98 is now transmitting an analog copy of CBS, not PBS. So it appears that CBS is now the broadcaster of analog as well as digital TVGOS data and Comcast has placed CBS on the analog channel 98, so Comcast does need to make that change for the data to come in. If you're not getting any data you should contact your cable company and see if you can talk to someone that understands this product and if they're in the process of making the change.

BTW - my TV has an ATSC tuner, and my TVGOS has an ATSC Slicer screen but it's an older version of TVGOS and I don't know if it can receive data on an digital channel but for now I'm back up and running.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
post #209 of 330 Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 PM

TGOS problem here too. What is the telephne number of Macrovision?
It seems to be gone from their site.
Thanks.
Stressbox
post #210 of 330 Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK we cannot directly contact Macrovision. We need to go through our cable system or local channel that's carrying (or supposed to be carrying) the signal.
The process is poor at best
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page