+VR Mode??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a new philips dvd recorder and hooked it up to my dvr and was able to record two movie i already had stored on my dvr and then i tryed to record a third and it says "this program is not recordable in +VR mode" and from now on it says this to every show i try and record. I know its something to do with copy protection. Also what is copy-once programs? Is there any dvd that can over ride this like dvd-rw or so. Also is there any dvd recorded that can record off a dvr without it getting any errors i have satellite if that helps.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
+VR mode is a DVD standard like the DVD-Video std we're all familiar with (normal DVDs). Your copy problem stems from the source. Here's the best description on the copy protection levels I've found (Wikipedia) to clearly explain how copy-once works:

"Since all DTV systems carry digital data content, a DVD or HD recorder could easily copy content losslessly, so that a great deal of pirated content could be circulating the market. Hollywood requested copy protection; this was the main reason for RMP. The content has three modes: Copy once, Copy free and Copy never. In Copy once mode a program can be stored on a hard disc recorder, but cannot be copied, only moved to another copy-protected media - and this move operation marks content Copy one generation, which permanently prevents further copying. Copy never programming may only be timeshifted and cannot be permanently stored."

What this means is that you can't copy a "copy-once" program off your DVR's HDD except possibly to a DVD initialized in "VR-mode." That "VR" mode is different than +VR in that VR-mode is not universally playable on other recorders/players, so that restriction may allow some copy-once programs to be copied one time to a VR-mode disc, but then the original is erased off the HDD and the VR-mode disc will have limited playability and NO FURTHER copy ability.

Not sure this is all correctamente, but maybe others can add clarification as needed.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 332
It's not the disk format but rather the media and it's support for CPRM. RAM and DVD-RW are both CPRM compliant whereas DVD-R, +R/RW are not.

After the media requirement, next comes the device's level of compliance. In this case, if the content is marked as copy-once, that one copy is the copy made on the DVR. Since the DVR does not have an integral burner it cannot control what happens to any further generations so it is probably marking the output as copy-never. If so, no flag compliant recorder will copy that source.

On a Panasonic, a copy-once source can be recorded to the HDD. With the intergral RAM burner, the Panasonic can transfer the content to a CPRM compliant RAM and then erase the content from the HDD. The reverse process is also possible, but there is only 1 copy in existence at any time. The Panasonic has control over the generations. A CPRM protected RAM cannot be effectively copied on a PC. The content of the disk can be copied, but the encryption key is tied to the original media which makes a copy useless. I don't know if the Phillips has that level of CPRM compliance using DVD-RW (it doesn't support RAM, correct?).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Several places in the manual for the Philips 3575...not sure if this is the OP's model... have a note that copy-once programs cannot be recorded to DVD.

Here's another note in several places in the 3575 manual re: copy-once programs:

"Alternate recording:
If there is no recordable disc in the unit, if the disc does not have enough space to complete the recording, or if the material is copy-once program and prohibited to be recorded on a DVD, the unit will detect it and automatically record to the HDD even when DVD is selected as the recording media."
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I strongly suspect that is the case when the 3575 is connected directly to the primary source and is doing the initial copy-once recording.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so what do yall sujest for getting the movies off my dvr? should i try the dvd-rw or take back this recorder and get another? Because all im trying to do is free up some space on my dvr and most of that space is movies that i dont want to delete.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

There are current threads in the forum concerned with this issue of getting things off a DVR into a DVDR. The title of your thread does not suggest the type of help you are looking for, so those local experts are not likely to view your thread. I would suggest you do a search for a topic on transferring things off a DVR. You will probably find your answers there or at least be in a position to ask those who are doing it now.

- kelson h

post #8 of 8 Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I strongly suspect that is the case when the 3575 is connected directly to the primary source and is doing the initial copy-once recording.

Yes, one national reviewer said the Philips 3575 can record a copy-once program to its HDD.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page