AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnykat View Post

wajo,"-it has answers to many questions in an easy-to-find format."

Thank you!!...your links and help op is very helpful, but i find going through 7200+ posts to find info. daunting...

That's what the list of help files does for you... it organizes all important setup and op. info so you can click on a main subject of interest, like Editing, which opens a subject page with a list of more detailed items. You can read just the detailed item(s) you're interested in or the entire main subject, whatever you choose.

I can almost guarantee you don't have to read all 7200 posts to find what you need.

Quote:

i ordered a 500gb hitachi...and have decided to try and use it...is there a way to slave data on the 160gb onto it using my pc which is windows?

No one so far has been able to directly copy the files on a DVDR HDD to an external HDD. The 2160 can be used with an unlimited number of external 500GB HDDs of any brand and in 2.5" or 3.5" sizes, but they have to be recorded to in the 2160.

I don't think anyone has yet found a way to directly offload recordings from another drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks wajo....

i found a multimedia player that claims to support linux...is it possible that that could play from a 2160 hd?

player link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...046&CatId=3821
post #33 of 52 Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Thanks wajo....

i found a multimedia player that claims to support linux...is it possible that that could play from a 2160 hd?

player link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...046&CatId=3821

Wow! That unit looks like something I've "dreamed" about... a USB interfaced way to record and play back the MPEG-2 files from a 2160 HDD... except as far as I can determine, it would only provide the playback function.

It looks as if you could set up a 2160 with an ESATA HDD farm and install one of the HDDs on this Mascool Media Player and play the recorded titles anywhere? It reads MPEG-2 so should work for that?

Not sure how or if you could record directly to a HDD installed in the Mascool player tho... would be awesome if it could record thru a computer to the player? (I'm assuming you need the computer in the loop for both playing and recording.)

EDIT: I just realized that the Mascool might need the computer to place the files you want to play on the attached HDD? If so, not sure how it could work that way with a 2160 and/or its external HDD, already loaded with the 2160's files/titles?

My dream was to install a SATA/USB adapter in the 2160 to plug into an external, prepackaged USB HDD and record to one of those, disconnect and play back anywhere thru any computer or another USB connected 2160, 3575, 3576 or 2080.
post #34 of 52 Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM

hmmmmmmm, i was assuming that the hd in the player was just for loading media into it....

If it is needed to hold an os, and player programs then my idea of installing the 2160 into it probably won't work...unless it would accept the 2160 hd as a slave...

thanks

OH, i see that hd is not supplied with player!!!...i'm going to try to contact manufacturer to see if installing a full 2160 hd would allow data on hd to play through player...

cheaper player! http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch...iteria=BA31406
post #35 of 52 Old 03-04-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

With DVD+VR format, the recorder places additional temporary recording information in a special folder on the disc named Video_RM, separate from the usual Video_TS folder that contains the standard video files and menus. When recording to a rewritable disc, the recorder updates the Video_TS folder each time so that the disc is always playable in a normal DVD player, but that can only be done once on a write-once disc, when you Finalize it.

Thank you for clearing that up. I have a question that would really clear things up:

Other than the above, is the only other difference (in +VR discs) the UDF version formatted on the disk? If so (please correct me if I'm wrong), I could use a computer to extract the Video_TS folder and make a dvd-video dvd without needing to re-compress or transcode anything -- is this right?

TIA
post #36 of 52 Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

You can easily transfer recordings from the 3575 to your computer and read them or edit them using almost any software that reads menu titles or VOB files from a DVD. The 3575 records on DVDs in standard DVD+VR format - see http://www.ulead.com/learning/general/video_04_1.htm for a good explanation of this format. This the same DVD+VR format used by most other DVD+R/RW recorders and by PC programs such as NeroVision Express that can produce or edit VR format. With DVD+VR format, the recorder places additional temporary recording information in a special folder on the disc named Video_RM, separate from the usual Video_TS folder that contains the standard video files and menus. When recording to a rewritable disc, the recorder updates the Video_TS folder each time so that the disc is always playable in a normal DVD player, but that can only be done once on a write-once disc, when you Finalize it. Until you Finalize a write-once disc, there is no standard disc index, and the disc cannot be played in normal DVD players or computer DVD drives. You can see the unfinalized disc structure and read it in a computer drive with a special program like ISOBuster that reads UDF format.

The recorder does not record a separate VOB file per recording. Instead it appends new recordings to the same VOB file until the file reaches a 1 Gbyte size, then it starts a new file. The recorder will mix recordings at different resolutions in the same VOB file. The start point and resolution of each recording is correctly indexed in the IFO files, so DVD players and DVD editing programs have no problem, but it tends to confuse programs looking directly at the VOB files without going through the IFO index - they may freeze or crash at the point the video changes resolution in the VOB file.

If you are exporting DVD video to an avi file, the aspect ratio may need adjusting. For example, when the DVR records at 720 x 480 resolution, this is not a 4:3 aspect ratio, and the individual pixels do not have a 1:1 aspect ratio. The IFO file contains a 4:3 aspect ratio flag which tells the player to display it at that aspect ratio, but that flag is not carried through to other video formats. You may have to resample the input to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio in order to prevent the image from appearing stretched too wide. If your recording is actually 16:9 aspect ratio, and you want to keep it in DVD format, you may want to use the PC utility program IFOEdit to set the aspect ratio correctly in the IFO file for the title.

Some PC software comments:

NeroVision Express can import DVD+VR discs from the 3575 and edit them directly. The resulting disc can be Adapted back to the 3575 format without losing any content.

Nero Recode can read the DVD+VR index structure and the recorded video titles or VOB files produced by the 3575.

DVD Decrypter can be used to copy the recorded DVD to the hard drive. Although no decryption necessary, it usually reports fixing some minor errors in the DVD structure. Unknown whether these are genuine errors or a minor incompatibility with the DVD+VR format, but the process of copying with DVD Decrypter does sometimes make the video titles visible to other software which has trouble seeing them otherwise.

TMPGEnc DVD Author can read the DVD+VR index structure and the recorded video titles or VOB files directly from the disc recorded by the 3575, but it sees two copies of every title, as it seems to be reading both file structures independently. I like TMPGEnc DVD Author better than NeroVision Express for editing just because it is much more stable - NVE tends to crash a lot.

DVD Shrink 3.2 seems to have no problem reading DVD+VR discs recorded by the 3575 (which is not true with some previous DVD+VR recorders I have used). It may get a little confused when there is more than one title on the disc. You can do some limited re-authoring with DVD Shrink, but no editing within titles.

VirtualDub-MPEG2 (a variant of VirtualDub) can read the VOB files from the recorded disc, but you may have to resize the avi output to get the correct 4:3 aspect ratio. You also need an AC3 DVM codec installed on your computer to extract the audio (see http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/ for links to the free video editor VirtualDubMPEG2 and a compatible AC3 codec).

ISOBuster can read and copy the VOB files from the recorded disc, even if it is a DVD+R which has not been finalized. This tool can also repair certain types of disc errors while it is copying the file, allowing you to recover video from bad discs. (Some of this functionality requires you to pay to register the program.)

2160 Newbie (1 week) adding to the recorder to pc editing conversation...

I ran into the copying to pc problem with the series finale of Flashforward dubbed to a dvd-rw. Inserting the disc into the pc drive, I could play it with InterVideo WinDVD, and noticed under the Titles tab, there were indeed duplicate titles of the actual show titles listed. Then I went to copy it to the drive, and here's when things got interesting. I hadn't read this thread in a very long time, so it was startling to encounter the transference issues.
First I tried DVD Fab HD Decrypter and the dvd-rw would not be recognized. I then went to DVD Shrink and it returned a copy protection error message and wouldn't load the disc. I then attempted to use Imgburn. I created an ISO of the disc, but when I tried to use Shrink to extract the title, I got another error message, indicating an invalid dvd file structure...

Next, I tried TMPG DVD Author 3, and success, it recognized the disc-listing the 4 titles dubbed to it as titles, and again, as playlist titles (a total of 8 items in the selection menu). I was able to pick out Flashforward and transfer it to the pc this way. Edited and set WS aspect ratio, and created a dvd of the finale.
After that was accomplished, I sifted thru an old folder and saw I had an older version of DVD Fab HD Decrypter 4. Out of curiousity, I opened it to see what would happen. DVD Fab 4 loaded the dvd-rw, no problem at all-although the scanning process did take longer than usual. Under the Main movie tab, you can select individual titles, rather than copying Full Disc mode. DVD Fab no longer makes older versions of it's software available on it's site, and I was unable to locate it by Googling. Should anyone here like a copy, PM me and I can send it to you. Although DVD Decrypter looks just as easy, judging from the screenshot at VideoHelp.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Decrypter

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #37 of 52 Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is an old thread but thought I would post my current workflow for archiving Mag 2160A- created DVDs on MS windows. I've found many ripping programs dislike the way these recorders do the .ifo and .vob files.

For standard TV programs, I've found EP recording mode is acceptable quality. A 1 hour recording is about 1.1 Gb on DVD, so you get about 4 hours on a finalized DVD.

First program I use is a ripping program, MakeMKV. It reads DVD-format VIDEO_TS files and remuxes them into the mkv file format. Currently MakeMKV is released as a "beta" program ver 1.7.6 as of this writing with a reg key that must be updated monthly, available from the author here:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Best way to use MakeMKV is to copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the finalized dvd to your PC hard drive. It's much faster than trying to convert direct from the disk. MakeMKv will complain about the .ifo file, but will correctly identify each recorded title. Simply navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder, let MakeMKV find the titles, and then convert. The result is an mkv file for each title, with video in MPEG-2 and audio in 2 chan AC3.

If you want to edit these files, I've found the best/easiest editor (cut or split) is Free Video Dub ver 4.03. There are more recent versions, but this is the only one I've had success with for this specific mkv content. (In other applications I have used AVidemux, but I just can't get it working on these files).

For archiving, I like Vidcoder. Vidcoder is in essence a different front end for Handbrake, which I find a bit easier to use. The purpose is to re-encode video into MPEG-4-10 (AVC) using the X.264 codec and audio into AAC. You can mux/save in mp4 or mkv file formats. I've been using mp4 for compatibility with certain players. For EP recorded titles (frame format 352x480) I use the default "high profile" tweaked -- set anamorphic "loose" with auto crop. Detelecine and Decomb "default", and Deinterlace and Denoise "off". I use framerate 29.97 and constant quality 19.5 with X264 preset "slow". For the audio I just use the faac codec for a 2-chan AAC track.

This results in about 500-600 Mb file for the 1 hour program. It seems to play OK for my purposes. I don't think I would recommend trying to do a lot of filtering or editing on the final file.

scott s.
post #38 of 52 Old 08-07-2012, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Scott, thanks for the info. I take recorded DVD's when I travel to play in my laptop. I'm thinking of downsizing to an Android tablet like the Nexus 7. Is it safe to assume that your procedure would produce playable MPEG4 files? One DVD typically contains 6 edited EP 42-minute episodes. It sounds like that would compress to about half of the ~4.3GB? What's a ballpark time to convert (Core i7 2600 8GB Win7)? And how much will the software cost me? (The tablet can't power a portable DVD drive so that's not an option, and it wouldn't make sense to spend too much more than I would on a portable DVD player...)

Thanks,
Chris C.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #39 of 52 Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM

All that is freeware, except MakeMKV currently is available as freeware while in beta, but costs something like $40 for a full license. But for copying from DVR-made disks, you can use other freeware instead of the MakeMKV. Most any software media player can play the mp4 file format as can most Apple devices. mp4's also can be "tagged" like music files for better organization. The only drawback is it can take about 45 min to an hour to reencode a 4 Gb DVD into the AVC/AAC encoding used in mp4 files. Of course you loose the DVD "menu" feature, but I don't really need the menus anyway. DVR-made dvds (that I have seen) just have a single stereo audio track and no subtitles so that aspect of dvd menu isn't needed. The chapter breakdowns can be retained.

scott s.
post #40 of 52 Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM

No title menu? All 6 episodes become one continuous file? That would be pretty inconvenient... Hopefully there are players that can resume play from last stopping point?

One hour for a full disk is acceptable - the old 3576 takes the better part of an hour to HSD and finalize a full EP disk...

Thanks,
CC

CC

post #41 of 52 Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Not bad - I HSD'd a 1h47m EP TCM movie to a dvd+rw and followed your method. Using your settings the MP4 encoding took 22 min. and file size is just over 1GB...

Chris C.

CC

post #42 of 52 Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Rats! I have been reading this thread in the hope of finding the solution to my problem, but the workflow seems to going in the opposite direction: from DVD to computer.. That's understandable, but (as usual) I am totally backwards.

1. The files I want to view on my TV are already on my computer, in various formats (that can be viewed on computer). I need them to play on my TV, via my DVR. I have the ability to convert these files into different formats and burn them to disk. What I need to know is how. My previous DVD player would support .AVI and .MPG files. My new Magnovox DVR will not read those disks.

2. I am a total newbie, who has never tried to create my own ISO image to burn to disk, and I don't know how. In fact, I find it almost impossible to understand most of what I am reading in the thread, though I am trying my best.

How can I get these files onto a disk that will play on my DVR? Any and all help appreciated!
post #43 of 52 Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM

I don't have personal experience, but on Win 7 there is Windows DVD Maker and Movie Maker from MS. Between these you should be able to author a DVD (i.e., create a VIDEO_TS folder with .ifo and .vob files for the videos (titles) and simple menu). You may need to first encode your video into a codec and container that Windows likes (like wmv or avi with appropriate codec). Don't know if Win 8 supports these apps.

scott s.
post #44 of 52 Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takayama1962 View Post

Rats! I have been reading this thread in the hope of finding the solution to my problem, but the workflow seems to going in the opposite direction: from DVD to computer.. That's understandable, but (as usual) I am totally backwards.

1. The files I want to view on my TV are already on my computer, in various formats (that can be viewed on computer). I need them to play on my TV, via my DVR. I have the ability to convert these files into different formats and burn them to disk. What I need to know is how. My previous DVD player would support .AVI and .MPG files. My new Magnovox DVR will not read those disks.
If you want to burn a DVD that you can play on your players, you need to author the files as DVD-Video and burn the compilation to disk. For DVD, all the files have to be MPEG-2 encoded and 720x480i resolution. If they are not then you will have to re-encode them to be DVD Video compatible.

You can do all this for free with a myriad of utilities and applications which are typically GUI front ends for the utilities which are typically command line driven. However, you are in for a long period of research and study. The alternative is to spend some money and buy Video ReDo which will do it all for you, including authoring and burning the disk, in a single well designed and supported package.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #45 of 52 Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 AM

T.,

If your AVI & MPG files are already on disks, burning another set of disks doesn't seem like a very attractive option. I assume your old player is kaput or you would just keep playing them on it? So why not just buy a new cheapo player that supports those formats? Or a streaming device to play directly from your computer, or from USB storage?

My recorders get a ton of usage just recording and dubbing, so I avoid the additional wear & tear of using them for playback...

CC

CC

post #46 of 52 Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Hi Everyone!

Thank you sincerely for the information. I am very grateful!

I have already found a solution that seems to work well. The FreeMake Video Converter software can not only convert my files (which are on my computer and not already on disks), but also burn a DVD for me.

I may look into VideoRedo, and I will definitely be trying to tweak the settings of my Mag to achieve the best possible results.
post #47 of 52 Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Hi Everyone!

Thank you sincerely for the information. I am very grateful!

I have already found a solution that seems to work well. The FreeMake Video Converter software can not only convert my files (which are on my computer and not already on disks), but also burn a DVD for me.

I may look into VideoRedo, and I will definitely be trying to tweak the settings of my Mag to achieve the best possible results.

Sorry, you said your old player would play your files so I assumed they were on disk. Switching from DVD to network storage has left me with a huge supply of blank DVD+R's and jewel cases - I could make you a great deal on them!

CC

CC

post #48 of 52 Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

Sorry, you said your old player would play your files so I assumed they were on disk. Switching from DVD to network storage has left me with a huge supply of blank DVD+R's and jewel cases - I could make you a great deal on them!

CC

I probably should have given some background. I get edited files from a friend in the US (I live in Mexico). He shares them with me because I don't have access to them here (Google Drive is a wonderful thing). I download them to my computer and burn them to disk, so that my wife and I can watch them in the evenings.

With my old (actually pretty new, but whatever) DVD Player (Phillips), I have had no problem watching those disks on TV. The Phillips reads and plays .AVI files with no issue. I bought the Mag because I CAN get NFL Sunday Ticket here in Mexico, and I want to be able to digitally record games from my DirecTV feed here (yes, DirecTV is in Mexico). Since the Mag can also play disks, I am trying to work out how to kill both birds with one stone.

FreeMake does that for me.

However, my wife has commented that she feels the picture quality of the burned disks as played in the Mag is much poorer than the disks I can play on the Phillips. I am considering leaving both machines connected, but I am having trouble getting both to work at the same time. At this point I need to either:

1. Figure out how to maximize screen quality with my Mag (I am sure there must be a lot of info already posted about that...I'll do the research unless someone wants to enlighten me)

2. Figure out how to properly connect both devices to my TV so that I can use them interchangeably.

Either solution works fine for me.

The good news is, I can at least get the shows my wife wants to watch onto a disk that the Mag will play.

Crisis averted.

Once again, I thank everyone who replied, and even more in advance anyone who wishes to continue to assist me.
post #49 of 52 Old 08-08-2013, 01:07 PM

If we're going to talk about how to configure both devices, I can tell you this much: I VERY RARELY record anything from my TV. There's damned little here worth watching, which is why I get my viewing content from the states (not that there is a whole heck of a lot worth watching in the US either). In seven years, I have never encountered a viewing conflict. For this reason, I have no problem making my Mag a slave to my Satellite tuner. I'm not missing anything.

Other than that, I have no idea how to connect the boxes to get them to work harmoniously.

Obviously, the ideal solution would be to fine tune playing the disks on the Mag. That was my original intention.

Once again, any guidance would be much appreciated!
post #50 of 52 Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I probably should have given some background. I get edited files from a friend in the US (I live in Mexico). He shares them with me because I don't have access to them here (Google Drive is a wonderful thing). I download them to my computer and burn them to disk, so that my wife and I can watch them in the evenings.

With my old (actually pretty new, but whatever) DVD Player (Phillips), I have had no problem watching those disks on TV. The Phillips reads and plays .AVI files with no issue. I bought the Mag because I CAN get NFL Sunday Ticket here in Mexico, and I want to be able to digitally record games from my DirecTV feed here (yes, DirecTV is in Mexico). Since the Mag can also play disks, I am trying to work out how to kill both birds with one stone.

FreeMake does that for me.

However, my wife has commented that she feels the picture quality of the burned disks as played in the Mag is much poorer than the disks I can play on the Phillips. I am considering leaving both machines connected, but I am having trouble getting both to work at the same time. At this point I need to either:

1. Figure out how to maximize screen quality with my Mag (I am sure there must be a lot of info already posted about that...I'll do the research unless someone wants to enlighten me)

2. Figure out how to properly connect both devices to my TV so that I can use them interchangeably.

Either solution works fine for me.

The good news is, I can at least get the shows my wife wants to watch onto a disk that the Mag will play.

Crisis averted.

Once again, I thank everyone who replied, and even more in advance anyone who wishes to continue to assist me.

I have 2 recorders connected to my old analog TV - one on composite, one on component. Worst case should be using RF coax for one input on a splitter...

CC

CC

post #51 of 52 Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

I have 2 recorders connected to my old analog TV - one on composite, one on component. Worst case should be using RF coax for one input on a splitter...

CC

Doh!!!!!

I never thought of connecting them separately. God, how stupid am I?
post #52 of 52 Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

DirecTV serves all the Americas, except maybe Cuba. (Unless you get a working STB there)
Quote:

However, my wife has commented that she feels the picture quality of the burned disks as played in the Mag is much poorer than the disks I can play on the Phillips.

The Maggy is just a SD - MPEG-2 recorder device, so maybe your friend is sending you advanced HD - AVI / MP4 material.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page