Finalizing DVDs with a different DVD recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba RW-2 DVD recorder, and I recorded some DVD-Rs, but never finalized them. Last weekend, my DVD tray broke and won't accept DVDs. Is it possible to finalize the DVDs in another DVD Recorder? Or do I have to use the same model or the same brand?

I'm looking to buy a new DVD recorder that has a HD tuner. I've narrowed it down to a Panasonic EZ27K or a Toshiba D-R550. Both have their issues (ie. losing HD channels, missing timer recording sessions). But if I can't finalize the DVD discs, I can't view what I've recorded, so that will determine my next course of action.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They don't have HD tuners, they have digital tuners. They won't output a HD signal. You will probably at least have to have the same brand DVDR to finalize them. Why not fix your old Tosh? Replacing a tray shouldn't be such a big thing.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I agree, your only chance of finalizing the discs would be with another Toshiba. I know on Panasonics unfinalized discs play on all my different Panny DVDR's. Hopefully for you Toshiba would be the same. And yes, don't buy a new DVDR with the thought of watching true HD. Save that for true HD tuners and HDTV's.
post #4 of 22 Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 AM

I think it depends on the machines.
The unfinalized discs from my JVC DR-m10 and Panasonic DMR-E50 recorders could be further recorded on and finalized on the Panasonic DMR-ES10 but not the other way around.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

I stand corrected - digital tuners is what I meant to write..

I didn't see much threads on Toshiba DVD recorders here, but was hoping someone might have experience.

While I may send out my DVD recorder for repair, I was looking to upgrade to one with a digital tuner. It may cost as much to repair mines as buying the Toshiba D-R550 (about $120 online now).
post #6 of 22 Old 01-22-2008, 01:42 PM

I've been able to cross-finalize some discs between the Toshiba XS32, XS52 and XS54, but not every unfinalized disc can be read. My experience has been that the newer models tend to read older models' unfinalized discs better than the reverse.There are a lot of similarities between various Toshiba models, and the RW-2 probably uses the same burner as at least one other model.

But, finalization is very model and manufacturer specific. Most unfinalized discs can't be read in another manufacturer's model. It's really hit or miss (probably >90% miss), so consider yourself fortunate if it works, especially if the models are years apart.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well I called some authorized repair dealers around Boston - some charged $200 to repair, others said they couldn't fix it. So I called Toshiba, and my DVD Recorder is still under warranty (purchased in Oct 06), so they're swapping me a D-R400 DVD upcomverting DVD Recorder.

Very pleased So when this comes in, I should be able to finalize my discs.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 PM

Sweet!

It would be great if you could post if they finalize okay when you get your D-R400.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM

I had a Philip 3505 that broke. I was able to finalize the 3505 made disks using nero, and it played fine on my regular dvd player.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM

I have a Sony DVD Recorder RDR GX 300 that will not read DVD's and load
so now I am stuck with numerous Unfinalized DVD's since I record races and keep a seperate DVD for each horse and keep adding the races.

Now Sony tells me there are no more parts for this unit and I cannot find one anywhere. Any Suggestions....
post #11 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMB707 View Post

I have a Sony DVD Recorder RDR GX 300 that will not read DVD's and load
so now I am stuck with numerous Unfinalized DVD's since I record races and keep a seperate DVD for each horse and keep adding the races.

Now Sony tells me there are no more parts for this unit and I cannot find one anywhere. Any Suggestions....

Have you tried using a DVD cleaner disc in your DVD drive? Or taking it to a repair place that might be able to at least open things up and clean them, maybe even figure out what's wrong, and if a "not approved by Sony" solution (or parts) might get things rolling again?

EDIT:

I just checked eBay. Two units, one with a "Buy It Now" of $120, and another with a current bid of about $90.

Put "RDR GX 300" into the search field. I got the eBay results to come up doing that thru Bing.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This may seem like a silly question, but what type of DVDs are these, PMB707? -R, +R, -RW or +RW? The first three won't play in other gear until finalized, so are not the best choice for your type of recording task (adding short clips over a long period of time). But +RW does not require finalizing and will usually play in any current player, video console or computer. If you haven't yet tried playing the discs on other gear, test a few PCs, disc players and game consoles. Unfinalized Sony DVDs might perhaps play in a Sony PlayStation? PS2 and PS3 are odd ducks with surprising capabilities.

The Sony RDR-GX300 is an old model- really really old. Released in 2004 old. That vintage of recorders was the tail end of the first wave: most were very expensive and very flakey. Most Sony owners gave up on their GX300 and HX900 machines a long time ago: failing to play or record any disc was a very common problem once they reached their second birthday (never mind eighth). So it would probably not be a good idea to spend serious money for a used GX300 on eBay: the overwhelming majority have failed already.

Often you can still finalize discs from old machines on any newer model of the same brand (Panasonic, Pioneer, Phillips, Magnavox). But several big brand names stopped making their own recorders after the first couple years, opting instead to have other mfrs re-label recorders for them, thus leaving unfinalized discs made with older models stranded. Sony has done this at least twice since 2006, with no consistency among models: some were "real" Sony, some are hybrid Sony/Pioneer, and the most recent are usually rebranded Samsungs. Finalizing compatibility varies among these.

What you need is a second-hand Sony that still works and uses the older original Sony file system for dvds. Look on eBay or Craigs List for models made 2006 or earlier, but avoid any Sony model number that ends in "00" like your GX300: these have a "cult" following that inflates used prices beyond a safe risk. Also avoid the RDR-HX models for the same reason: very pricey used, and most won't finalize your GX300 dvds anyway. Some cheaper used Sonys that should be able to finalize your discs would be RDR-GX315, RDR-GX330, RDR-VX515, RDR-VX530 etc. If you have a friendly chain store nearby with current Sony recorders on display, you could bring one of your discs and ask them to let you try playing it in the display model. If it accepts the disc, buy that unit: its compatible. Your chances of this working are 50/50 at best: current models don't use the same file system, but if Sony asked Samsung to add backwards compatibility it might be possible. Doesn't hurt to try.

If you can't find a compatible, affordable used Sony recorder you might try PC software like ISObuster. The free trial version doesn't do much but the paid version is known to pull video clips off unfinalized dvds. You need to have some technical knowledge and skills to do this: the salvaged videos have to be "re-authored" using yet more software and results are not guaranteed. Best course of action may be to sit tight and wait for a good deal on an older Sony to pop up somewhere- you could try pawn shops, Goodwill, etc.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Another option is to try to finalize them in a computer DVD drive using ImgBurn or Nero. If that fails, there are a couple of programs that can read un-finalized disks: ISOBuster and ISOPuzzle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Going back to basics question, newbie style: what exactly does finalizing do? And why is it necessary?
post #15 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Finalizing "closes" a DVD and makes it playable on other DVD players/recorders, as described here.

|
|
|
post #16 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

Going back to basics question, newbie style: what exactly does finalizing do? And why is it necessary?

The DVD Video specification was designed as a distribution format and is fairly rigid in how the information is to be laid out on a DVD. This includes pointer files that contain the menus and meta-data about the individual titles on the disk. These pointer files (.IFO) cannot be generated until all the video titles have been added to the disk. The DVD recorder allows you to add files/titles to the disk in separate burn sessions; they exist on the disk in a meta state that is not yet in DVD Video format. When you have added all the titles you want you tell the DVDR to "finalize" the disk, which is just simple-human speak for "assemble the indexes and meta-data and burn the pointer files to create a DVD Video formatted disk".

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 22 Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMB707 View Post

I have a Sony DVD Recorder RDR GX 300 that will not read DVD's and load ... I cannot find one anywhere. Any Suggestions....

Do not know where you are located, but here is one for $40.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #18 of 22 Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM

I recently had my Panasonic DMR-EZ28 go out on me.

I think its done for.

My problem is the same as others in this thread...

I've got a bunch of unfinalized discs.

I see a couple of mentions that Nero might be able to finalize these discs.

I use Nero quite a bit.

Can someone explain how I woud go about doing that?

Thanks.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett14 View Post

I recently had my Panasonic DMR-EZ28 go out on me. I think its done for. My problem is the same as others in this thread...

I've got a bunch of unfinalized discs. I see a couple of mentions that Nero might be able to finalize these discs. I use Nero quite a bit. Can someone explain how I woud go about doing that?

Thanks.

Here is a thread explaining how I finalized a disc recorded in my stand alone using Nero. Mind you my disc was recorded on a Sony using the Pioneer OS.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409286/finalizing-a-pio-sony-disc-with-nero
Please report back and tell us if this method worked with your Panasonic disc. If it doesn’t work - there is another method you can try with Nero.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett14 View Post

I recently had my Panasonic DMR-EZ28 go out on me.

I think its done for...

Maybe not. See this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #21 of 22 Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM

My Panasonic dmr-ez28 freezes up & I can neither play nor record discs. What can I do?

Tony
post #22 of 22 Old 10-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
call me sent you a PM

MickinCT
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page