Has anyone been able to fix a panasonic dvr that stops reading discs? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have several ES-15s and IMO they are a decent workhorse recorder. Not a lot of bells and whistles but it can make some great line input recordings and has the full resolution LP recording speed(unlike you're E85H).
The remote from your E85H will work with the ES-15(assuming it has all the needed buttons which I believe it should and more). The power cord is pretty standard if it's missing the AC cord.
The one problem some people seem to have with the ES-15 is U99(I think) errors. I've never had them but I guess they can be the death of the machine. It probably needs the spindle cleaned(as do all Pannys after a year or so) other than that you should have a decent realtime recorder. Probably not a lot of parts interchangeable with your E85H but the operating system should be very similar.
If I had a chance to snag another ES-15 for $20 I'd probably jump on it, even though I believe I've got (3) they just don't make em like that anymore(unless you count the international Pannys). The ES-25(which I have one) is a upgraded ES-15 with HDMI upconversion and a SD card slot, both are good machines IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 02-18-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not the best model, but certainly not the worst. I have an ES10 , which is slightly more well regarded, but a year older. It's still going strong (vintage 2005, or maybe even late 2004, I'velost track. I think if the seller guarantees that it's in working condition and it reads/writes, not DOA, it's probably worth $20 bucks.You may need to clean the spindle to improve performance. i'd say expedite the 2160 buy too. You will never look back. But this old panny would still be handy for dubbing and for rental DVDs, and it reads DVD-RAM, if you have any, which is also useful.

I imagine some might argue, you could put the 20 bucks toward the 2160 and get a real deal... tempting?
post #33 of 47 Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I have several ES-15s and IMO they are a decent workhorse recorder. Not a lot of bells and whistles but it can make some great line input recordings and has the full resolution LP recording speed(unlike you're E85H).
The remote from your E85H will work with the ES-15(assuming it has all the needed buttons which I believe it should and more). The power cord is pretty standard if it's missing the AC cord.
The one problem some people seem to have with the ES-15 is U99(I think) errors. I've never had them but I guess they can be the death of the machine. It probably needs the spindle cleaned(as do all Pannys after a year or so) other than that you should have a decent realtime recorder. Probably not a lot of parts interchangeable with your E85H but the operating system should be very similar.
If I had a chance to snag another ES-15 for $20 I'd probably jump on it, even though I believe I've got (3) they just don't make em like that anymore(unless you count the international Pannys). The ES-25(which I have one) is a upgraded ES-15 with HDMI upconversion and a SD card slot, both are good machines IMO.

I agree with you as I have lots of experience with four DMR-ES15 models and my DMR-ES25 was recently swapped into the place of a DMR-EZ17 that was set aside as a standby.

These old workhorse 2006 DMR-ES15 and DMR-ES25 models do not have cooling fans so it's important to keep them out in the open with good air circulation. If stacked be sure to put spacers between them so air will circulate over and under them.

As with most Panasonic recorders there are three operating codes that allow up to three Panasonic recorders to be stacked with no operational conflicts. It just takes a few seconds to change the remote control's code (hold the ENTER button and the 1, 2 or 3 button at the same time for several seconds) so a single remote control may be used for a stack of up to three Panasonic recorders that have been set to different operational codes (as chosen in the setup menu).

Since the DMR-ES15 is a 2006 model, cleaning the DVD Drive lens and hub/spindle is an easy fifteen minute procedure, as described here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

The DMR-ES15 Operating Instructions in the PDF format may be downloaded here:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...odel.DMR-ES15S

The first photo is an interior view of a DMR-ES15. From the top may be seen the DVD Drive, the Digital PCB (the green board with the Panasonic's "brains" under the heat sink), then the "tin-can" tuner at the right and the power supply at the bottom. The second photo shows the rubber hub being cleaned. The laser lens and assembly is seen mounted between the guide rods. Notice that the roller/slider at the rear of the disc tray is correctly positioned at the far left--important for the correct operation of the DVD Drive.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #34 of 47 Old 02-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the advice on the ES15! Got the unit and found a power cord in my pile of stuff that matches. Powered up, played and then recorded a dvd-r from cable.
Everything looks great except I cannot get my older E85H remote to be recognized. Got a universal remote to do some basic functions, but still have a blinking clock when powered down. Should I leave the unit hooked up to the cable overnight to fix this?
Also opened case and see room to install a small cooling fan next to cutout holes? I have one from an old computer video card that would fit. Anyone try to install one there? Where on the board do you pick up 12 VDC ?
Plan to clean the spindle as everyone recommends and install the newest firmware from Panasonic's website.
Thanks for the pixs and encouragement. LOVE this website!!! Later, TD1
post #35 of 47 Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradevman1 View Post

Thanks for the advice on the ES15! Got the unit and found a power cord in my pile of stuff that matches. Powered up, played and then recorded a dvd-r from cable.
Everything looks great except I cannot get my older E85H remote to be recognized. Got a universal remote to do some basic functions, but still have a blinking clock when powered down. Should I leave the unit hooked up to the cable overnight to fix this?
Also opened case and see room to install a small cooling fan next to cutout holes? I have one from an old computer video card that would fit. Anyone try to install one there? Where on the board do you pick up 12 VDC ?
Plan to clean the spindle as everyone recommends and install the newest firmware from Panasonic's website.
Thanks for the pixs and encouragement. LOVE this website!!! Later, TD1

There is a space reserved on the motherboard for a fan power connector but there is no actual connector and the circuit may not be active. (That space is the box seen to the left of the blue dot appearing near the upper right in the first photo. Notice that the largest electrolytic capacitor, C1143 in the power supply section, is missing from this ES15 mainboard. I'm also attaching a photo showing the cooling fan in an entry-level DMR-EZ17 from the next model year.)

My mention of the lack of a cooling fan was intended to suggest that users provide enough air circulation around these recorders. Do not close up Panasonic recorders in a cabinet or use them near heat producing devices such as TVs, amplifiers or Motorola DCT or DCH converter boxes. These measures should be satisfactory to keep these recorders from overheating.

When you use your E85H remote near the ES15 the front panel display should show one of these messages, "SET 1" "SET 2" or "SET 3" indicating the operating code that the ES15 is set to, see page 15 of the DMR-ES15 Operating Instructions. That same procedure is mentioned in my earlier post. Temporarily set the E85H remote to the code in use by the ES15. Then you may set up and configure the ES15. Once into the Setup menu you may want to Restore Factory Defaults that usually returns a Panasonic to operating code 1. Again, it takes just a few seconds to set the E85H remote to the ES15 recorder's operating code and then back to the original E85H operating code. The same remote code instructions are found on page 13 of the DMR-E85H Operating Instructions.

A universal remote may be able to control a few Panasonic commands but will not be able to access those found in the SETUP menus, SCHEDULE, DVD Management, etc.

The ES15 is unlikely to look for a time signal apart from a command initiated from within the SETUP menu.

Once the ES15 is fully set up and configured using the E85H remote--that's the time to think of a firmware update--not before. Be sure to follow the firmware update instructions as they appear on the Panasonic Support website and observe the usual firmware update cautions.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #36 of 47 Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 PM

Sorry I was so long in getting back to you, DigaDo. Got that E85 remote working for the ES15 like you said. Thanks. Cleaned the spindle and reassembled OK.

Decided to check the E85h before trying to dub from/to the ES15 and found bad caps under the hard drive (power section). I replaced them from my local electronics shop for $1 each. Also cleaned the spindle and laser, for the first time ever, on that.

Am now in the process of my first "dub" from the ES15 to the E85h. Wish me luck! TD1
post #37 of 47 Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 AM

My Panasonics have short lifespans (1 to 2 years). They all stop reading brand new discs and give the error message "there may be a problem with the disc." This thread is terrific and I will try all the suggestions. However, it's 105 degrees outdoors and I can only cool my house to about 85. If my DVRs are failing due to overheating, what components are affected? (I would love to replace a few caps, rather than keep buying new dvrs.) Thanks for any suggestions.
post #38 of 47 Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 82
What model Panasonic do you have, does it have a fan? Many of the more basic Panasonic recorders don't have a fan and if the area around the DVDR is rather warm or limited airflow this may be contributing to your problems.
Enclosures or stacking the units on top of each other can also contribute to the problem. As far as if your unit has failed due to high heat I doubt it's repairable. More than likely it would be the main CPU which would require a mainboard replacement, which would probably cost more than the unit is worth.
I've read on other sites(videohelp.com, I think) where people were adding heatsinks on top of the main CPU to help with cooling, some people swore this fixed there problems. Personally I've used several of my ES-15 Panasonics stacked on top of each other and in enclosures to boot and I've never had a failure, they have been this way for several years. When I take the DVD out it is quite warm to the touch but again no failures.

Have you cleaned the spindle? I'd try that before looking into heatsinks. That or maybe a small computer type fan pointing at the back of your recorders, it's all about getting adequate airflow through the unit and it's main CPU.
post #39 of 47 Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Have you cleaned the spindle? I'd try that before looking into heatsinks. That or maybe a small computer type fan pointing at the back of your recorders, it's all about getting adequate airflow through the unit and it's main CPU.

The lens and hub/spindle cleaning procedures are found here:

The best airflow is through the ventilation openings at the side(s) with hot air expelled out the rear.

During hot summer days I have supplemental cooling fans in operation in my home office whenever those recorders are in operation. Use of supplemental cooling fans may require more frequent lens and hub/spindle cleaning.

post #40 of 47 Old 07-23-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. It is a DMR-EZ28 which does have a small internal fan.
I can try cleaning the lens and spindle, but the unit plays DVD's perfectly. The problem only happens when I try to record. I have tried -R and +R discs of many brands, but when I press "rec" I always get the message "there may be a problem with the disc." Next, the unit tries to "repair" the disc. It works on it for at least 20 minutes, and sometimes must be unplugged to get it to stop.

I will probably install a small external fan when I replace the DVD recorder, but don't have $ to buy a new one right now.
post #41 of 47 Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post

Thanks for the reply. It is a DMR-EZ28 which does have a small internal fan. I can try cleaning the lens and spindle, but the unit plays DVD's perfectly. The problem only happens when I try to record. I have tried -R and +R discs of many brands, but when I press "rec" I always get the message "there may be a problem with the disc." Next, the unit tries to "repair" the disc. It works on it for at least 20 minutes, and sometimes must be unplugged to get it to stop.

I will probably install a small external fan when I replace the DVD recorder, but don't have $ to buy a new one right now.

The portion of your post that I've boldfaced is a typical description of a Panasonic requiring the routine lens and hub/spindle area cleaning, a ten-minute procedure with a DMR-EZ28.

With "many brands" you've probably been using CMC manufactured 16x media purchased at retail stores. Memorex, TDK, HP, Magnavox are just a few of the blank media brands manufactured by CMC. CMC media is commonly regarded as "landfill" material.

The best blank media for use in Panasonic recorders is JVC/Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R. (Panasonic "power users" seldom use DVD+R media.) Here is one source for JVC/Taiyo Yuden media:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...ax=15&offset=0

There is no reason to "install" a cooling fan, just set up a small supplemental cooling fan to direct airflow toward the recorder.

post #42 of 47 Old 07-23-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted on this and a few other panny related chains. My ES15 has the 'no read' problem - I now suspect a spindal motor burnout. After a few cleanings, and no change, I'm throwing in the towel. If anyone wants to buy this unit for parts, email me at serafinepix@gmail.com. I have never recorded with it (I bought it intending to convert home movies on vhs to dvd and never got around to the project) and have used it for viewing only, maybe a dvd or two a week tops. Anyways, thanks again you guys are the best!

-J
post #43 of 47 Old 07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathamj View Post

Thanks to everyone who posted on this and a few other panny related chains. My ES15 has the 'no read' problem - I now suspect a spindal motor burnout. After a few cleanings, and no change, I'm throwing in the towel. If anyone wants to buy this unit for parts, email me at serafinepix@gmail.com. I have never recorded with it (I bought it intending to convert home movies on vhs to dvd and never got around to the project) and have used it for viewing only, maybe a dvd or two a week tops. Anyways, thanks again you guys are the best!

-J

Listen to the DVD Drive. The sounds tell the story. What do you hear?

I've yet to hear of a spindle motor burnout but I suppose it's possible.

The first photo shows two of the three motors in a 2007 model year DVD Drive, the spindle motor and laser assembly threaded transport shaft motor of a torn-down DVD Drive. The second photo shows those two motors and the belt drive wheel of the third motor (toward the right front) that operates the disc tray mechanism. The third photo is a bottom view of the disc tray mechanism motors as seen toward the left of 2006 and 2007 model year DVD Drives. Notice that the 2007 DVD Drive has an on-board DVD Drive controller PCB. The DVD Drive controller is incorporated into the separate Digital PCB for 2006 model year recorders.
LL
LL
LL

post #44 of 47 Old 11-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Hey guys, some guy brought his player Panasonic DMR-EH75V and the dvd player doesn't want to play.
During recorded this guy decided that he didn't want to record that on the dvd so he tried shutting it down but it didn't shut down so he unplugged it from the wall.
The dvd player makes beeps, kind of like how others described, so i took it apart and recorded how it looks like when it's making those beeps.
Video uploaded to youtube - can't upload it atm, but the ending url to video is v=7M2-2G_U6xw

If there is a way to fix it please post. I can't seem to find a replacement for that dvd drive anywhere online... hard reset would be nice to know how to do btw.

it also shows U88 when i do reset(holding up and down channel buttons)
post #45 of 47 Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
alksandr, send a PM to mickinct and he will give you instructions for sending the unit to him for repair. He has done this for many people on this forum, including me, and we all have, as far as I know, been completely happy with the results.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #46 of 47 Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksandr View Post

Hey guys, some guy brought his player Panasonic DMR-EH75V and the dvd player doesn't want to play.
During recorded this guy decided that he didn't want to record that on the dvd so he tried shutting it down but it didn't shut down so he unplugged it from the wall.
The dvd player makes beeps, kind of like how others described, so i took it apart and recorded how it looks like when it's making those beeps.
Video uploaded to youtube - can't upload it atm, but the ending url to video is v=7M2-2G_U6xw

If there is a way to fix it please post. I can't seem to find a replacement for that dvd drive anywhere online... hard reset would be nice to know how to do btw.

it also shows U88 when i do reset(holding up and down channel buttons)

The first remedial measure for Panasonic DVD Drives is the routine lens and rubber hub/spindle area cleaning. This post describes the DVD Drive sounds and indicators and the various cleaning procedures:

The posts in that thread have a number of helpful links.

The DMR-EH75V uses DVD Drive VXY1945. That DVD Drive is found only in 2006 DMR-EH75 and DMR-EH55 models. It is seldom necessary to replace the expensive DVD Drive itself, even if the laser assembly has failed. (Panasonic's National Parts Center in Kent Washington stocks the correct DVD Drive but it is sold only as part of the "RAM/Digital Module." That "module" consists of the DVD Drive and Digital PCB, currently priced around $300, not including shipping.)

If the laser assembly has failed I suggest sending a PM to mickinct for more information.

post #47 of 47 Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The DMR-EH75V uses DVD Drive VXY1945. That DVD Drive is found only in 2006 DMR-EH75 and DMR-EH55 models. It is seldom necessary to replace the expensive DVD Drive itself, even if the laser assembly has failed.

The laser assembly is available here on eBay for $72, and for an extra $60 you can have it installed.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page